2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Saguto Golf - A Strong Grip is a Potential Source of Problems

Gamble Gamble

7 minutes ago, Nels55 said:

Interesting comments on doing slow motion swings for a long time to make a motion change.  I have found over the years that doing a lot of slow motion drills does nothing for my full speed swing.  I seem to develop a nice slow motion drill swing that has no relation to my full speed swing.  On the other hand if I do a slow mo swing followed by a full speed swing and then look at the video to see if I am getting the result I am looking for on the full speed swing then I seem to be able to slowly make some actual progress.  

In another thread @MonteScheinblum mentioned that he uses 3 real swings to one drill swing quite often when he teaches and that is an excellent way to go about it.  Of course everyone is different and learns in different ways but I wonder if the 3 to 1 mix would have worked well for you a few years ago when you made the swing change?  

Agreed, but the most useful tool between drill swings and real swings is tuning in your conscious observation of the differences between the two in transition and impact, ie, your observation of the difference is more important than the difference itself.

Edited by virtuoso
  • Like 1

WRX Status: FORUM ELDER (certification confirmed)

On 3/22/2024 at 12:07 AM, Nels55 said:

There are quite a few Youtube videos by Mike Adams / Terry Rowles that describe their system.  Here is one that has practical application in the first 5 minutes or so:

Here is description of the system:

Oh to be young again.......

Ping G430 Max with Ping Distanza or MP5 Ladies flex or Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue 45 in Senior

Ping G430 Five Wood Ping Distanza

Ping G430 Seven Wood Ping Distanza

Ping G430 Nine Wood Ping Distanza

Ping i230 5-PW Red Dot + 1"  Recoil Dart 105

Ping i230 Utility Wedge +1" Recoil Dart 105

Ping Glide 4.0 56 Degree ES Red Dot ZZ 115

Scotty Cameron Squareback 2.5 341/2"

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 35"

2 hours ago, Nels55 said:

Interesting comments on doing slow motion swings for a long time to make a motion change.  I have found over the years that doing a lot of slow motion drills does nothing for my full speed swing.  I seem to develop a nice slow motion drill swing that has no relation to my full speed swing.  On the other hand if I do a slow mo swing followed by a full speed swing and then look at the video to see if I am getting the result I am looking for on the full speed swing then I seem to be able to slowly make some actual progress.

The point isn't to do slow swings forever… it's to do slow swings so you can do the "right" thing (or exaggerate it slightly), and then gradually keep speeding it up.

Do it at 30%. Then 35%. Then 40%. Etc. Mix in some faster and slower ones, too. Vary the amount you exaggerate a bit as well.

Erik J. Barzeski | Erie, PA

GEARS • GCQuad MAX/FlightScope • SwingCatalyst/BodiTrak

I like the truth and facts. I don't deal in magic grits: 26. #FeelAintReal

"Golf is the only game in which a precise knowledge of the rules can earn one a reputation for bad sportsmanship." — Pat Campbell

10 hours ago, Nels55 said:

In another thread @MonteScheinblum mentioned that he uses 3 real swings to one drill swing quite often when he teaches and that is an excellent way to go about it.  Of course everyone is different and learns in different ways but I wonder if the 3 to 1 mix would have worked well for you a few years ago when you made the swing change?  

There are as many paths to improvement as there are Teachers to teach them. My practice regime, physical game along with any subsequent swing changes, were taught to me by both Sam Snead, especially the mental side, though to a much larger degree, his Teacher and older Bro along with having been my Mentor/Teacher for 32+ years, Pete.

I did not mention my full routine, which included daily visualization away from the range, course and clubs, which I adapted from Sam, who obtained a large part of his routine, basically his whole slo mo routine, from Hogan himself, in one of the less than handful of times that they spoke at any length about the game. This routine had been his routine for 50+ years when he taught it to me. Sam used to put a chair in the shower the night before EVERY Tourney round, close his eyes as the water cascaded down on him and visualized every shot that he wanted to hit the next day. Hogan did the same thing, though he would lay in bed when he did it. I too adopted this routine, though I usually sat in a recliner. 

That said, @MonteScheinblum is one of the finest Teachers in the game, along with being one of the Classiest and most down to earth guys that one could ever hope to meet, and though I do not comment often in his threads, I read them all and have followed him closely, so in answer to your question, there is absolutely zero doubt in my mind that instead of Pete and Sam, had I had Monte as my Teacher, with his knowledge along with the 3 to 1 mix, in combination with my focus, discipline & drive, I would have enjoyed the same competitive success that I did with Pete & Sam's Instruction and Mentorship.

The key is that, regardless of the Teacher, swing theory or methodology, when one chooses that Teacher, stick to them like glue, believe in them and their thoughts, words and theories 100%, though most importantly, PUT IN THE WORK!! The vast majority of Ams start off like a ball of fire, whether it be with a lesson, swing tip, new driver/putter, etc, all gung ho ready to go, then they hit a hurdle, plateau or a wall, reality sets in, and as they do in most areas in their lives, they lose sight of their goal, if they ever had one, they stop working and start looking for the next new driver/putter, swing theory and/or swing "pearls." There is NO club(s), or one secret pearl, contrary to those hoganites that think that they found it, lol. Sam always said(Pete concurred) that the worst thing for amateurs' games back in the day in general and golf instruction in particular were the one page swing "pearls" that peppered the pages of Golf Digest, lol. I found this quite ironic as Sam was on the GD Instructor Panel, as was close friend and fellow Tour Boy Bob Toski, and at their annual Instructors' summit, where all of the Pros were in one room for a day or two of kibitzing about the game & instruction, the two of them would chide the other Pros, especially Jim McLean, about their latest "swing du jour," as Sam kept the same basic swing and though not a Teacher in the sense of Monte or Pete, when he worked with someone, as he did me, he taught the same swing thoughts that he had used for decades through his whole career and it seemed that McLean and the others would come up with a new latest greatest swing every 5-6 years, along with an accompanying book📕, lolol

Apologies for the novella🤪

Thanks for taking the time to respond👊

Have a nice weekend🍻

RP 

Edited by Forged4ever
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

3 hours ago, Forged4ever said:

There are as many paths to improvement as there are Teachers to teach them. My practice regime, physical game along with any subsequent swing changes, were taught to me by both Sam Snead, especially the mental side, though to a much larger degree, his Teacher and older Bro along with having been my Mentor/Teacher for 32+ years, Pete.

I did not mention my full routine, which included daily visualization away from the range, course and clubs, which I adapted from Sam, who obtained a large part of his routine, basically his whole slo mo routine, from Hogan himself, in one of the less than handful of times that they spoke at any length about the game. This routine had been his routine for 50+ years when he taught it to me.

That said, @MonteScheinblum is one of the finest Teachers in the game, along with being one of the Classiest most down to earth guys that one could ever meet, and though I do not comment often in his threads, I read them all and have followed him closely, so in answer to your question, there is absolutely zero doubt in my mind that instead of Pete and Sam, had I had Monte as my Teacher, with his knowledge along with the 3 to 1 mix, in combination with my focus, discipline & drive, I would have enjoyed the same competitive success that I did with Pete & Sam's Instruction and Mentorship.

The key is that, regardless of the Teacher, swing theory or methodology, when one chooses that Teacher, stick to them like glue, believe in them and their thoughts, words and theories 100%, though most importantly, PUT IN THE WORK!! The vast majority of Ams start off like a ball of fire, whether it be with a lesson, swing tip, new driver/club, etc, all gung ho ready to go, then they hit a hurdle, plateau or a wall, reality sets in, and as they do in most areas in their lives, they stop working and start looking for the next new driver/putter, swing theory and/or swing "pearls." There is NO one secret pearl, contrary to those hoganites that think that they found it, lol. Sam always said(Pete concurred) that the worst thing for amateurs' games back in the day in general and golf instruction in particular were the one page swing "pearls" that peppered the pages of Golf Digest, lol. I found this quite ironic as Sam was on the GD Instructor Panel, as was close friend and fellow Tour Boy Bob Toski, and at their annual Instructors' summit, where all of the Pros were in one room for a day or two of kibitzing about the game & instruction, the two of them would chide the other Pros, especially Jim McLean, about their latest "swing du jour," as Sam kept the same basic swing and though not a Teacher in the sense of Monte or Pete, when he worked with someone, as he did me, he taught the same swing thoughts that he had used for decades through his whole career and it seemed that McLean and the others would come up with a new latest greatest swing every 5-6 years, along with an accompanying book📕, lolol

Apologies for the novella🤪

Thanks for taking the time to respond👊

Have a nice weekend🍻

RP 

Awesome that you got learned by the Sneads!  Just being able to watch Sam swing during a round would probably probably have knocked 5 strokes off of my game.  Anyway I agree 100% with your explanation of how to learn to swing a golf club.

Also agreed on your assessment of Monte.  I sent in a video to his site and was very impressed with his analysis.  A lot of it I had tried to implement in the past but he explained one thing that I had never been taught before.  LOL I have hope of actually improving my swing!  Gonna take a while though...  

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Nels55 said:

Awesome that you got learned by the Sneads!  Just being able to watch Sam swing during a round would probably probably have knocked 5 strokes off of my game.  Anyway I agree 100% with your explanation of how to learn to swing a golf club.

Also agreed on your assessment of Monte.  I sent in a video to his site and was very impressed with his analysis.  A lot of it I had tried to implement in the past but he explained one thing that I had never been taught before.  LOL I have hope of actually improving my swing!  Gonna take a while though...  

Thank you very much for the kind words!! Yah, I know that I was very very lucky as I was actually closer to Pete while he was alive than to my own father(Pete passed in 2006). He was the best Mentor that I could ever have hoped to have!!

You have a great Teacher in Monte!! Follow his advice, ask questions when you do not understand or if you are having an issue implementing his suggestions and Brotha, set your goal(s), then  PUT THE WORK IN!!! It just takes reps!! A lot of reps!!

All the Best👊

RP

Edited by Forged4ever
  • Like 3

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

13 hours ago, iacas said:

The point isn't to do slow swings forever… it's to do slow swings so you can do the "right" thing (or exaggerate it slightly), and then gradually keep speeding it up.

Do it at 30%. Then 35%. Then 40%. Etc. Mix in some faster and slower ones, too. Vary the amount you exaggerate a bit as well.

Yes, definitely need to work the speed up incrementally.  Right now I have to think my way through every swing in order to get something resembling the correct movement.  Considering that I usually play several times a week it’s going to be a struggle lol.