Saguto Golf - A Strong Grip is a Potential Source of Problems

Gamble Gamble

Not for everyone, but this video may be helpful for some.  

Summary - an overly strong grip can lead to:

• fat shots
  • two way miss (hooks & slices from holding off and swinging left)
  • flipping (throwing away shaft lean)

• Like 1

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1580770-recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3m4-driver-fitting/"][size=2]M3 Taylormade Experience[/size][/url]

I play with a stronger lead hand. And I do tend to pull shots left a good bit. And just went out and hit some balls into a net and tried the flipping he's talking about, and I was able to hit some solid straight shots.

Is he right that Zach Johnson flips or throws the club at the ball?

But in another recent video he said he pre-sets his impact position by leaning the shaft forward. Why would that not be the case with a stronger grip? Just preset the impact position where the club face is square to target?

I like Saguto. He's kind of a knucklehead, but I like his videos and simple approach to instruction. Seems to be a pretty solid ball striker as well.

But a strong grip works for some people and for other it just doesn't.

Jason Dufner: 42B3zu.jpg

• Like 2

Whatever driver happens to be working at the time
Some random 3 wood
My same, old irons
A few wedges...
Scotty Cameron Fastback

I think people tend to miss the point that was stated "overly strong" not slightly strong.There will always be variations around a "norm" but overly strong and overly weak are generally the causes for many amateur golfers' inconsistency in striking the ball. They "can't find" a good swing.

However, small adjustments slightly strong or slightly weak are commonly made - even by great golfers - to compensate for a consistent striking pattern flaw to adjust the trajectory.

Ever here the guy say "Why am I suddenly hooking the ball?" to his buddy at the range?

I feel like throwing them one of my extra grip training aids that I have in the bag...... I use it for at least half of each range session to ensure my brain remembers neutral because it's so freaking hard to stay in line sometimes. I sometimes see some folks curiously looking at it during my range sessions, yet I've never seen anyone else use one.

Too good for one I guess.

Edited by Mikey_HACKilroy
  • Like 2

Current Bag: Sun Mountain C-130 Inferno (Orange)

The Sledge Hammer: PXG 0311 Black Ops Tour-1 @ 6.5° - PX Gen 4 Hzrdus Black 80/TX

The Dead Blow: PXG 0311 Gen 5 @ 11.5° - PX Even Flow Riptide 80/6.5TX

The Chaser: PXG 0311 Gen 5 @ 15.5° - Project X Even Flow Riptide 85/6.5X Hybrid Shaft

The Grinders PXG 0317ST (CB 3-4 / ST 5-PW) - DG X-Seven (Still Acclimating)

The Chisels- Tom Watson 56° - 60° - DG - S-Flex (Soon to be Retired)

The Mallet: PXG BR-1 Raptor Putter

2 hours ago, Nels55 said:

Per Mike Adams lead had grip strength is best determined by hip speed.  If a person has really slow hips then a strong grip will be a real struggle.  Trust me on that one...  It's not the grip it is how the grip matches up to the player.

I really like Saguto’s videos, I’m not exaggerating at all when I say I was lost with my driver when I found his YouTube stuff and feel like his stuff has saved my game off the tee and improved my ball striking immensely. With that being said, this observation about matching up to hip speed is spot on.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Ping G425 12* set at the little - with a tour 2.0 65 stiff shaft

Callaway Steelhead III 18* 5W

Callaway Big Bertha Warbird 21* 7W

Ping G30 4-W, U, and S irons 

Ping Tour 60* wedge

Ping Karsten Craz-E putter

13 hours ago, Smash Factors said:

I like Saguto. He's kind of a knucklehead, but I like his videos and simple approach to instruction. Seems to be a pretty solid ball striker as well.

But a strong grip works for some people and for other it just doesn't.

Jason Dufner: 42B3zu.jpg

His grip isn’t as strong as it looks here because his hands are positioned behind his belt buckle. If they were positioned ahead of his belt buckle it would still be strong-ish but would look more neutral. 

• Like 1

1. Your grip is your only contact with club .It  may be the least glamorous , but possible the most important part of the golf swing since the lead grip is a major factor in the orientation  of the clubface( open or closed )  and the amount of range of motion in your wrist. It is also important that the trail wrist be placed on the club so that the trail wrist works in concert with the lead wrist and does not oppose it. 

2. An open clubface at first parallel and at last parallel is the enemy of a good swing and inevitably requires compensations  that at the very least complicate the swing and often ruin it. 

3. Very few golfers ( Dustin Johnson the prime exception ) have enough wrist mobility to achieve a flat or bowed lead wrist at the top or at impact while having a a strong lead hand grip.

4. The so called “ reverse motorcycle move” 

or flexion of the lead wrist changes the orientation of the clubface by CLOSING  it , while it is in RADIAL DEVIATION (cocked )  . However , when the wrist is ulnar deviated ( uncocked  or at impact ) the same movement will orient the clubface to the right of the target 

5. There are some top golfers who have weak lead hand grips -notably

Jordan Speith , Jon Rahm and Collin Morikawa. All of these players close the clubface by the top of their backswings and transitions via flexing their lead wrist “ reverse motorcycle move”.

If you have a weak lead hand grip , you need to do the same 

6. A strong  lead hand grip minimizes the need to flex your lead wrist ( above reverse motorcycle move ) during the backswing . Golfers like “ Tommy”2gloves Gainey “ , who have VERY  strong grips exhibit very little or any flexing of their lead hand grip going back because they do not need to do so. 
7.Pronation ( rotation of the forearm so that the palm faces more down and supination ( rotation of the forearm so that the palm faces more up)is present to a DEGREE in almost all swings . Pronation of the lead forearm during the backswing will open the clubface , while supination of the lead forearm going down will close the clubface. 
The great Ben Hogan talked extensively about pronation and supination in the golf swing . 
8 . FLIPPING or letting the clubhead pass the hands at impact is characteristic of poorer players and will orient the clubface more to the left. It usually happens as a result of an open clubface  and usually adds loft to the clubface .

FORWARD SHAFT LEAN is a very popular current  topic of discussion . It is the opposite of FLIPPING with the hands ahead of the clubhead at impact and results in DELOFTING  the clubhead. All shots hit when the ball is ON the ground require some forward shaft lean in order to compress the ball.

BUT this does NOT mean that amateur golfers should attempt to emulate the pros and get SIGNIFICANT shaft lean at impact . The simple fact is that most amateur golfers lack sufficient clubhead speed to hit the ball high enough when they deloft the clubface significantly . Consequently , such amateur golfers will lose considerable distance with SIGNIFICANT shaft lean at impact . SOME shaft lean but not enough so that they are unable to launch the ball high enough

9. Generally with a number of notable exceptions, the greater the amount of ribcage rotation at impact the stronger the lead hand grip is required 
10. Slicers have the clubface open at impact . Gripping the club with a weak lead hand grip risks exacerbating this problem 

Edited by golfarb1
  • Like 1

I'm sorry, but that guy is a total moron. He is so narrow minded that he only sees his way of swinging and wants to tell EVERYONE that a strong grip won't work because it doesn't work with his interpretation of the swing. His interpretation of proper impact position is based on using a weaker grip. With the strong grip he is taking, he only needs to swing his arms through and NOT pronate through the ball. Just let the arms swing naturally. I use a grip stronger than what he is exhibiting and hit nice straight balls with high or low trajectory if I want. My stock shot is a baby fade and there is no undue hand manipulation that has to take place. No shallowing or any of the stuff you see golfers struggling with today. Bring the club back and swing it though naturally and let the hands/wrists do what they do naturally.

Makes about as much sense as me making a video on how a neutral grip wont work just because it won't work for my swing.

BT

Dr#1 Cobra Speedzone 10.5 – HZRDUS Yellow HC 65 TX @ 46”
Dr#2 Mizuno STZ 220 9.5 (10.5) - HZRDUS Smoke IM10 65 Low TX @ 46"

Mizuno ST190 15 - HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 43"
Mizuno STZ 220 18- HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 42"
Mizuno MP15 4-PW - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Cobra MIM Wedges 52, 56 & 60 – stock KBS Hi-Rev @ 35.5”

Odyssey V-Line Stroke Lab 33.5"
Grips - Grip Master Classic Wrap Midsize

6 hours ago, MPStrat said:

His grip isn’t as strong as it looks here because his hands are positioned behind his belt buckle. If they were positioned ahead of his belt buckle it would still be strong-ish but would look more neutral. 

This.  Lot of amateurs have poor hand position in terms of lead thigh.  Makes their grips look really strong and makes it more difficult to get their hands ahead, as they don't even start them in that position.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MPStrat said:

I just don't even know how to respond to this. I'm showing you like the worlds strongest grip and you're like yeah, "isn't as strong as it looks...."

Velcro is literally on top of the handle. As if moving his hands forward suddenly changes this.

• Like 1

Some random 3 wood
My same, old irons
A few wedges...
Scotty Cameron Fastback

35 minutes ago, Smash Factors said:

I just don't even know how to respond to this. I'm showing you like the worlds strongest grip and you're like yeah, "isn't as strong as it looks...."

Velcro is literally on top of the handle. As if moving his hands forward suddenly changes this.

That’s nowhere close to the worlds strongest grip. 

But you missed the point. You cannot determine whether a grip is functional or not unless you examine 3 characteristics simultaneously. Attachment relative to handle postion relative to face angle at address. Looking at the hands and saying “strong grip” is missing the other two factors. 

Assuming the face is square-ish at address, Dufner’s grip is extremely functional for the average golfer.

If you had the time or the desire to go back through the swing threads of the last 2 months, there are 3 or 4 grips that are much stronger than this one and non-functional. 

45 minutes ago, virtuoso said:

The 2nd greatest, 3rd greatest and 4th greatest titles are all on his channel too.

He's got 280K subscribers - must be doing something right.

• Like 1

Ping G425 LST 9° - Tour 65 X

Titleist TSi2 - 15° - Tensei AV Raw Blue 75 X

Callaway Apex Pro - 18° - Aldila NV Green 85 X

Titleist T100/T100S - 4-PW - Project X 6.0
Vokey SM8 50/54/58 - Black 
Taylor Made Spider Mini

I get that his presentation is boisterous and his personality is not for everyone but his videos have without question helped me, especially after reading the stack and tilt book. After spiraling downward for quite awhile and having a bazillion things running through my head every time I teed a ball up, I needed simplicity. Weight forward, shoulder points at ball…can’t have it dumbed down anymore than that. To each his own.

• Like 3

Ping G425 12* set at the little - with a tour 2.0 65 stiff shaft

Callaway Steelhead III 18* 5W

Callaway Big Bertha Warbird 21* 7W

Ping G30 4-W, U, and S irons 

Ping Tour 60* wedge

Ping Karsten Craz-E putter

4 hours ago, Smash Factors said:

He's not wrong, setting your hands back and behind the ball like that increases the extension of that top wrist and makes the top hand appear stronger. Dufner isn't anywhere close to "world's strongest grip", not while Brenden Steele exists:

ScreenShot2023-09-07at7_26_00PM.png.4fdc2668e0f4d6dc42ed000160318af4.png

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J40 DPC 4i-7i 24*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

12 minutes ago, Valtiel said:

He's not wrong, setting your hands back and behind the ball like that increases the extension of that top wrist and makes the top hand appear stronger.

Try it for yourself.

Take Dufner's grip and move your hands around with any ball position. Literally nothing changes.

Some random 3 wood
My same, old irons
A few wedges...
Scotty Cameron Fastback