2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Have you ever fell out of love with the game?

Kingdog

On 9/19/2023 at 11:38 PM, Kingdog said:

Have been a golf nut since I was 10 years old. Our seasons are short here on the prairies in Canada so every spring in April around Masters time I would get so excited for another 6 short months of golf. Now I think I'm taking next year off completely and maybe permanently. 

I had a golf trip this summer that I have been planning for 5 years. 5 bucket list courses in the Rocky Mountains in 4 days with close friends and relatives. I played terrible. Got so frustrated with my play I broke the shaft on my 5 iron. After the trip I didn't play for a month and a half. And honestly had no desire to play. My Dad invited me out this past weekend for a quick 9 holes. Sleepwalked to a 51. Didn't feel anything.

Guy's I might be done with a game I've loved for 40 years of my life. Has anyone else ever felt this way before? Did it pass? My wife is ecstatic about getting her husband for a whole year next year and I don't blame her. She deserves it after putting up with the game for 25 years of marriage.  Honestly if I received a email tonight informing me that I won a all expenses paid trip to Bandon Dunes a place I have dreamed about going to I would probably pass. I feel like what's the point I would play terrible. Anyone else been in this dark place? I hope not it doesn't feel good.

100% I have multiple times. My Grandfather got me hooked on the game at 5-6 years old and I played competitively till about 19-20.

After HS and alot of junior golf I took a 10+ year hiatus. Mostly because I was partying and battling addiction/alcoholism. I would play occasionally but nothing serious or consistenlty. Once I got sober in 2011 I got the love of the game back and it help me mentally and gave me something to focus on besides recovery and my career. I dove headfirst into the game and this is when I really became a GOLFWRX'er. Loved learning about all the gear and equipment and how it worked and translated to the course. Played a ton of tournaments and golf in general. Granted I was single and had a career that allowed me to travel and play golf all over the US. Always had my clubs and played or practiced probably 5-6 times a week. Got my handicap back to it's lowest point since HS (2 handicap). 

2018- 2023 - Kids - Including a step son with autism took up most of my time and I happily gave up golf for quality time with my boys. December of 21 we moved from Oregon to MN and I hurt my back March of 2022 and was out of commision for most of the 22 season. Maybe played 9 holes total. However this allowed me time to spend with my middle son who was 4 at the time and he got the bug quick. 2023 spring he really got hooked and we spent most of our free time hitting balls on our 3 acres. 2024 - Chomping at the bit to get back to playing a bunch. Clubs are all dialed in and both my middle son and my wife have got the bug too!lol! 

It seems everytime I need a break it happens for a good reason and allows me to shift focus elsewhere. Then the love always comes back for me and sometimes if it's work and not enjoyable it's totally fine to take a break and see what happens from there. 

If you haven't played Bandon before regardless of how bad you play it is an experience and even my abosulte worst rounds there have been enjoyable with the exception of one that I had pnemonia and didn't know it and played Old Mac in 30+ mph winds then had to drive back to Portland after the round!lol! Take a year off and see what it does for you. Not only from a game stand point but life as well. Maybe spending a year with your wife doing somethings enjoyable together will help you find the balance again and love of the game. Or in some cases maybe you will find a new hobby and that's not a bad thing either if Golf has run it's course and become not enjoyable. 

Either way keep your head up! WE ALL go through these ups and downs. Just like our game goes good and bad.

• Like 2

WITB - 4/2/24

Driver: TSR3 - 9* HZRDUS Black G4 6.5

4W: TSR3 16.5* - HZRDUS Black G4 6.5

7W: TSR2 21* - Ventus Blue 7X

Srixon ZX-4 4-5 $-Taper 130X - SSX1

Srixon ZX-7 6-PW $-taper 130X

Ping S159 - 50S/54H/58H - DG X100TI
TaylorMade TP Collection Juno
Testing: Odyssey AI One Rossie S

On 9/19/2023 at 9:38 PM, Kingdog said:

Have been a golf nut since I was 10 years old. Our seasons are short here on the prairies in Canada so every spring in April around Masters time I would get so excited for another 6 short months of golf. Now I think I'm taking next year off completely and maybe permanently. 

I had a golf trip this summer that I have been planning for 5 years. 5 bucket list courses in the Rocky Mountains in 4 days with close friends and relatives. I played terrible. Got so frustrated with my play I broke the shaft on my 5 iron. After the trip I didn't play for a month and a half. And honestly had no desire to play. My Dad invited me out this past weekend for a quick 9 holes. Sleepwalked to a 51. Didn't feel anything.

Guy's I might be done with a game I've loved for 40 years of my life. Has anyone else ever felt this way before? Did it pass? My wife is ecstatic about getting her husband for a whole year next year and I don't blame her. She deserves it after putting up with the game for 25 years of marriage.  Honestly if I received a email tonight informing me that I won a all expenses paid trip to Bandon Dunes a place I have dreamed about going to I would probably pass. I feel like what's the point I would play terrible. Anyone else been in this dark place? I hope not it doesn't feel good.

I use to play 5 to 6 days a week. I got down to a 4 handicap. Played a lot of tournaments. I loved it and couldn't get enough. Then I got a job out of town and only play once on the weekends and a couple practices sessions after work during the summer days. It's hard to drive an hour thru traffic after working all day and drag myself to the course. My handicap went up to 11.1. I can't really play during the winter because of time change. I did start to lose interest over the last couple years. It's hard to except that your not as good as you once were. Ive started to except the fact that I might not ever be as good as I once was but I still have fun when I get to go out. This year my spark is definitely back and I'm excited to get back to the grind. I hope you can find your spark again! 

I stepped away from the game for a couple of years for personal and health reasons a long time ago.  My game has also fallen apart so bad in the past that I've thought about quitting the game a few times.  I got through all that and while not playing the best golf of my life, it's still acceptable and I enjoy it more now than ever. 

Edited by phizzy30

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2