Golf vs. Fishing (from a boat)

Golfbit2X

18 hours ago, Golfbit2X said:

I agree, technically, you can't compare fishing to golf but there are certain attributes/skill set that are common to both hobbies/sport - see list below:

1. Patience

2. Strategy/Game plan

3. Persistence

4. Selecting the right equipment for the right target

I'll give ya, 1 and 3.  🤔 Never had a strategy/game plan on the ocean, just catch what was running; until nothing, then drank a lot.  We used the same rods/reels and stern bbq grill for Calico & Sand Bass as bigger Dorado, Halibut, and Yellow Tail etc.  I miss being on the water. 😞

• Like 2
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX 6.0 Wedge 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x, ProV1x or AVX

2 hours ago, Golfbit2X said:

I disagree, I've been in a few fishing tournaments, and the general rule is as long as only one angler fights the fish and nobody assists the angler while fighting the fish, then the angler is officially recognized as having fairly caught the fish. 

You're right about IGFA rules but there are rules and there is reality.  I've fished a few tournaments myself.  My old fishing buddy captains a boat that received a $500,000 check in this past year's Big Rock.  I'm pretty sure the crew knows who really caught the fish.

All Jack did was put his beer down and reeled in a fish that the Captain hooked on the troll. That's all he did.  All the knowledge, skill, and luck that went into finding it, rigging the bait, and hooking the fish came from the Captain.  If Jack has jigged this fish or even cast a plug to it then I would concede some merit but my daughter has reeled in billfish.  I'll tell her she caught the fish too.

I guess we can just disagree here. 

Edited by HalfShell
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, HalfShell said:

You're right about IGFA rules but there are rules and there is reality.  I've fished a few tournaments myself.  My old fishing buddy captains a boat that received a $500,000 check in this past year's Big Rock.  I'm pretty sure the crew knows who really caught the fish.

All Jack did was put his beer down and reeled in a fish that the Captain hooked on the troll. That's all he did.  All the knowledge, skill, and luck that went into finding it, rigging the bait, and hooking the fish came from the Captain.  If Jack has jigged this fish or even cast a plug to it then I would concede some merit but my daughter has reeled in billfish.  I'll tell her she caught the fish too.

I guess we can just disagree here. 

l respect your opinion but it doesn't change the IGFA conventional rule that is in place.

As far as Jack's grander is concerned, it is a legitimate fish that was caught by the guy.

However, I'll give you credit for acknowledging the captain and mates that put Jack onto the fish but you can't discount the 6 hour effort Jack took to fight the fish. 

It wasn't as if the marlin hopped on to a silver platter for Jack. I've had battles with smaller fish like sailfish fo 30 minutes+ and fighthing a fish on a line takes a lot of skill, endurance, patience and a bit of luck to bag a fish let alone a grander of a marlin like Jack's catch. He had to tire-out a grander for 6 hours which is no small feat.

I think you are more of a purist preserving the spirit of the Old Man and the Sea.

• Like 1

Lifetime winning percentage (golf league): 17% (5 out of 30 tournaments over 3 years)

Driver: Ping G410, 10.5° w/ stiff 46.25" shaft, JumboMax JMX Ultralite XL grip; modified CG weight

3 Wood: Callaway,  ST Max Fairway Wood, 15.0°, Stiff, Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 65 Graphite 43.25" shaft, JumboMax JMX Ultralite L grip

Utility Wood: Cleveland, 18.0°, Launcher Halo Hy-Wood 3+; 41.5" shaft length; modified CG weight

4 to 8 Irons: Callaway Rogue X 4 iron, graphite shaft, stiff, +.5" shaft length; modified CG weight; 9 Iron: Callaway Rogue X 9 iron, graphite shaft, stiff, +.5" shaft length

Pitching Wedge: Callaway Rogue, 44°, graphite shaft, stiff, +.5" shaft length
Approach Wedge: Callaway Rogue, 49°, graphite shaft, stiff, +.5" shaft length

Sand Wedge: Titleist, Vokey SM7, 56°
Lob Wedge: Taylor Made full face - raw finish, 60°; Putter: Tour Edge Wingman, modified pistol grip, armlock modified 41.5" extended shaft, added center weight.

2 hours ago, dugue4 said:

I feel this tread is extremely lacking in pictures...

Here you go...and the story behind the fish.

Wrxers, please post your memorable catches too.

Screenshot_20230927_165913_Chrome.jpg.a1ebaa0d38d40d449af33044987a0c90.jpg

Edited by Golfbit2X

Lifetime winning percentage (golf league): 17% (5 out of 30 tournaments over 3 years)

Driver: Ping G410, 10.5° w/ stiff 46.25" shaft, JumboMax JMX Ultralite XL grip; modified CG weight

3 Wood: Callaway,  ST Max Fairway Wood, 15.0°, Stiff, Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 65 Graphite 43.25" shaft, JumboMax JMX Ultralite L grip

Utility Wood: Cleveland, 18.0°, Launcher Halo Hy-Wood 3+; 41.5" shaft length; modified CG weight

4 to 8 Irons: Callaway Rogue X 4 iron, graphite shaft, stiff, +.5" shaft length; modified CG weight; 9 Iron: Callaway Rogue X 9 iron, graphite shaft, stiff, +.5" shaft length

Lob Wedge: Taylor Made full face - raw finish, 60°; Putter: Tour Edge Wingman, modified pistol grip, armlock modified 41.5" extended shaft, added center weight.

22 minutes ago, dugue4 said:

This was a while ago, but its still the best snapper I've caught.

red snapper.jpg

A good day's catch with my brother and nephew from Fall last year. 

Screenshot_20230928_170437_Photos.jpg.f7d7e706de7b1d4d30dcaa839a15d81a.jpg

Avoided getting stuck out on the Long Island Sound when my throttle lever broke while heading back to port.

Stuck my knife into the broken throttle lever as a "temporary fix". 

Screenshot_20230928_171213_Photos.jpg.a54953242f53ac1c8cd54bc16abc83ef.jpg

Edited by Golfbit2X
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Guia said:

I don't see a conflict, you can do both.  Not a problem for me.😀

I agree with that, Guia but only if you're a boater that uses a slip. 

However,  if you're like me, no-frills, 100% DIY upkeep, trailer boater, then it's a whole different story altogether.

I try to maximize the life span of my boat and equipment so I always make it a point to do a full wash down of the boat, trailer and equipment including outboard engine flushing (15 minute freshwater) every time.

I store my boat in my backyard and all loose equipment in my garage. 

It takes me at least 4 hours to prep the day before, an hour to maneuver out of my driveway (only a couple of inches of clearance on either side of my narrow driveway), 30 minutes to launch and another 5 hours (1 hour to clean) coming back doing the same thing in reverse.

One thing that's a positive for me is I sleep like a log and knocked-out for 10 hours due to the exhaustion!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dugue4 said:

red snapper.jpg

That’s a great fish!

Caught a lot of snapper but never one that big. Used to target mangroves. The just-over legal-sized ones are such good eating. A lot of them never made it back to the dock. Same with yellowtail.  Would make ceviche right there on the boat. Ceviche that fresh with a cold Modelo mid morning when the bite starts to slow down….man that is living.

Here’s a nice walleye I got in August. Yeah I’m pretty pleased with it. 

IMG_0058.jpeg

Edited by mshills
  • Like 3

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

6 hours ago, dugue4 said:

That's a really good catch, dugue4. It's always better to catch good eating fish like snappers than other fish like barracuda or bluefish.

I noticed that there looks like a bite mark on your fish, was that from a shark trying to steal your catch?

Edited by Golfbit2X

18 hours ago, Golfbit2X said:

I noticed that there looks like a bite mark on your fish, was that from a shark trying to steal your catch?

Never saw what hit it, assuming it was a shark. Wasn’t the first or last time something got hungry and wanted to “share” my catch. 

• Thanks 1

Driver - Tour Edge Exotics 722E

5w - Sub 70 949X

4H - Ping G425

4-6i i200s

7-UW i210s

56*, 60* - Sub 70 286

Putter - Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Ball - Vice Pro Zero