TreqJosh's 2024 WITB

Posted (edited)

FYI: I may use this thread as bit of a blog/progress from time to time. If that doesn't interest you, all good, but I feel it may be useful for my own development. 

Small update.

1) Swing change.

I've enjoyed a hiatus from golf for the last couple of months. 

It's been good for me, though, I couldn't resist the occasional 9 hole golf course in between and I've come to realise a simple swing thought - let the club do the work.

Who knew!

The strangest things started to happen; the clouds disappeared, the sun shined, the gods looked upon me, even Margot Robbie DM'd me!* 

As a result of this revelation, I've continued to walk into the light and build upon this gift. I've continued to work more on my release and timing. To aid this change, I've slowed my swing speed right down to concentrate and really build this in. In fact, I'm perfectly happy to play golf at 80mph swing speed anyway - saves my energy. 

I've attached exhibit A for the benefit of the court:

image.jpeg.9006609f4c4ef1f00b8cd237f430703c.jpeg

In saying this, eagle eyed readers may notice the amount of terrible shots that preceded in the left column in then bottom screen (carry distances in metres). Remember - progress, comrades! Progress!

Either way, I'm enjoying golf a lot more and have been rewarded a lot more as a result of these changes. 

2) Titleist U505 2 Iron - out!

In terms of the bag, there has been a small change - I've taken some ego out of the bag (2 iron). I continue to seek further advice from my counsel/therapist on the T100s. I can say that with my swing slowing down, the shafts are noticeably heavier. I do know I need to be more precise with the T100s but that's nothing I wasn't aware of. There may be light at the end of the tunnel yet. 

3) Driver fitting.

To try and rectify the iron situation; I'm having a driver fitting this Friday the 3rd of May at 10am (AEST).

I think the irons seeing the Driver being taken out of the bag could be the wake-up call they sorely need. The next warning will come from HR, then a performance improvement plan. We know where this is going... 

Back to the Driver fitting, I purchased a gift card as a Christmas present to myself last year (thanks Santa!) and I'm just not getting on well with the driver. I also would like to remove a variable and get fit wth a fitter I trust.

As background, I originally purchased the Mizuno ST-Z with a Tour Atmos Black last year straight from the bargain bin. I thought "fantastic, this is one of the most forgiving drivers on the market with a shaft that may suit my swing". Wrong.

Since then, I've replaced the shaft with a MCA 1K White 6S where my expertise (strong word, I know) believed this would be the saving grace. Wrong again. 

To atone for my sins, I'm going to see the fitter who put me into my 5 wood. When said holy work is completed, I'll report back with the Trackman data for all to come and see. 

*My memory may be hazy on this one

Edited by TreqJosh
  • Like 3

Driver Fit Update

Winner: Titleist TSR2 10º w/ 1K Black 65S 45" 

Visited Pureform/Club Champion in Sydney. Same place that I got fit for my 5 wood, so I was happy to be back. 

I tried the following shafts:

- New Venus Blue 6S - feels nice just wasn't for me. 

- 1K Black 65S -  winner, winner. 

- Oban Devotion - nope, I love the HB version in my 5 wood this just didn't time well at all. 

- VA Composites Synyster - this felt very stable but wasn't as impressive as 1K. 

- GD Victory Force 6S - this feels great but the handle just feels heavy/very stout - unique feeling in a shaft I've never felt before. 

After settling on the shaft, we tried the following heads: 

- Titleist TSR2 8º - great head, not enough launch.

- Taylormade QI 10 LS 9º - not for me. 

- Callaway AI Smoke Max 9º (weight in toe) - this head felt incredibly light and super fast, very interesting feeling. 

- PING G430 10K Max 9º - nope not for me.

- Titliest TSR2 10º - winner, winner! 

As stated in earlier posts, I'm not the best player in the world. The fitter was fantastic, helped me with my swing. I was originally getting the club vertical and not on plane. My takeaway was rolling inward, etc. It's time for a lesson or two. 

I've attached my trackman report, there's some ordinary shots in there but was very happy with the performance of the TSR. 

Thoroughly enjoyed the fitting and would go back. 

Joshua Shepherd 2024-05-03 Multi Group Report.pdf

• Like 2

12 hours ago, TreqJosh said:

Driver Fit Update

Winner: Titleist TSR2 10º w/ 1K Black 65S 45"

When you said that the TSR2 was the winner, I was expecting it to be a bit better and more consistent than the others and not total domination like the dispersion circles are showing! Also I thought that you were swinging it really slow for your CHS at 100-105 mph and only carrying it 217 yards... But then I realized you were in meters, which puts you at 238 yards for carry or so, which you could optimize by maxing out your smash factor if anything (so not missing too much all things considered).

Big fan of the fact that you recognized driver as a club you wanted to replace and got fit for it! Hope that brings down your handicap with the dispersion circle shrinking as much as it did in that fitting.

Edited by BlueDragonKorea
  • Thanks 1

Driver: Sim 10.5 WB 73 TX
3w: Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus 15/BRNR Mini Diamana D+Plus 80TX

5w: Paradym AI Smoke 18 Tensei Pro White 1k 90 TX
4i: Srixon ZX Mk II AD IZ 95x

5i: Srixon U85 Oban CT 125x

6-PW: Miura TC-201 Oban CT 125x

50/54/59: Cleveland RTX Zipcore DG S400

Putter: Jailbird 380 WH

3 hours ago, BlueDragonKorea said:

When you said that the TSR2 was the winner, I was expecting it to be a bit better and more consistent than the others and not total domination like the dispersion circles are showing! Also I thought that you were swinging it really slow for your CHS at 100-105 mph and only carrying it 217 yards... But then I realized you were in meters, which puts you at 238 yards for carry or so, which you could optimize by maxing out your smash factor if anything (so not missing too much all things considered).

Big fan of the fact that you recognized driver as a club you wanted to replace and got fit for it! Hope that brings down your handicap with the dispersion circle shrinking as much as it did in that fitting.

Yeah, I had some ordinary swings with the others, my fault rather than the club of course. The change from 8º & 9º to 10º made an immense difference too. I seemed to be hitting down or neutral and the change to higher loft made an impact. I must say smash factor was consistently high more frequently with the TSR2 also - I was predominantly hitting from the heel and just getting great numbers. 

I think there is more to be gained with the TSR2 but that will come as I get better/lessons.

I should have said it was all in metres! haha, sorry! I'm not sure why we measure in Metres & MPH in Australia rather than Metres & KMH or just stick to what seems to be the standard of Yards & MPH.

I went for a driver fitting as I wanted to eliminate a variable in the club you want the most confidence with. I originally purchased the Mizuno off the shelf as an opportunity to have one of the most forgiving drivers at a really cheap price ($440AUD). After this didn't work, I just wanted to get something that I'll hold for years and continue to grow with. 

• Like 1