2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

TreqJosh's 2024 WITB

Wait... You have to take 5 * 5 strokes off your handicap to get your full bag of clubs back basically?

Driver: Sim 10.5 WB 73 TX
3w: Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus 15/BRNR Mini Diamana D+Plus 80TX

5w: Paradym AI Smoke 18 Tensei Pro White 1k 90 TX
4i: Srixon ZX Mk II AD IZ 95x

5i: Srixon U85 Oban CT 125x

6-PW: Miura TC-201 Oban CT 125x

50/54/59: Cleveland RTX Zipcore DG S400

Putter: Jailbird 380 WH

12 hours ago, TreqJosh said:

Basically, yeah. I’m a very high handicap. I’ve got a lot of strokes to spare. Would you suggest less strokes intervals is more appropriate? 

I'm not sure exactly what handicap you have, but here's a distribution of handicaps in the U.S. (I understand you're not in the U.S., but it's a useful reference): https://www.usga.org/handicapping/us-stats-static.html

If we say that you're a 40 handicap, you're in the bottom 0.3%, and to get to a 15 handicap (25 strokes off), you'd have to leap roughly 40% of the population to be in the top 60%. That's definitely not impossible, a lot of players will drop strokes rapidly with good/regular practice and/or instruction, but it feels ambitious? You'd have to go from not being able to break 100 to being right around 90 on a good day from a scoring perspective.

If you want to do handicap increments, maybe 2 strokes per club? You could alternatively set some per round goals, like X% of fairways to unlock some of your longer clubs, x% of up and downs for your wedges, or give yourself a club on a good round. Maybe something like 105 or better gets you one club, 100 or better gets you another, 97 is another one, etc. This would mean you don't have to sustain a high performance to get your handicap down (although if you hit these benchmarks, you should be trending down).

You seem to have a solid plan for improvement with Arccos and a focused range plan, but the other part of knocking strokes off is to have a bag that gives you all the shots you need. From a strokes gained perspective (especially with Arccos), not having these clubs may present a scoring ceiling, since you can only get so good with your approach play with longer clubs, or chipping from a greater distance because you laid up with a 2 iron and had to hit a mid iron in. If you haven't read Every Stroke Counts already, that may be interesting to you as you think about how to knock strokes off of your game.

Good luck with the new season and hope the putter fitting goes well! Please update the thread when you do get fitted.

• Like 2

Driver: Sim 10.5 WB 73 TX
3w: Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus 15/BRNR Mini Diamana D+Plus 80TX

5w: Paradym AI Smoke 18 Tensei Pro White 1k 90 TX
4i: Srixon ZX Mk II AD IZ 95x

5i: Srixon U85 Oban CT 125x

6-PW: Miura TC-201 Oban CT 125x

50/54/59: Cleveland RTX Zipcore DG S400

Putter: Jailbird 380 WH

1 hour ago, BlueDragonKorea said:

I'm not sure exactly what handicap you have, but here's a distribution of handicaps in the U.S. (I understand you're not in the U.S., but it's a useful reference): https://www.usga.org/handicapping/us-stats-static.html

If we say that you're a 40 handicap, you're in the bottom 0.3%, and to get to a 15 handicap (25 strokes off), you'd have to leap roughly 40% of the population to be in the top 60%. That's definitely not impossible, a lot of players will drop strokes rapidly with good/regular practice and/or instruction, but it feels ambitious? You'd have to go from not being able to break 100 to being right around 90 on a good day from a scoring perspective.

If you want to do handicap increments, maybe 2 strokes per club? You could alternatively set some per round goals, like X% of fairways to unlock some of your longer clubs, x% of up and downs for your wedges, or give yourself a club on a good round. Maybe something like 105 or better gets you one club, 100 or better gets you another, 97 is another one, etc. This would mean you don't have to sustain a high performance to get your handicap down (although if you hit these benchmarks, you should be trending down).

You seem to have a solid plan for improvement with Arccos and a focused range plan, but the other part of knocking strokes off is to have a bag that gives you all the shots you need. From a strokes gained perspective (especially with Arccos), not having these clubs may present a scoring ceiling, since you can only get so good with your approach play with longer clubs, or chipping from a greater distance because you laid up with a 2 iron and had to hit a mid iron in. If you haven't read Every Stroke Counts already, that may be interesting to you as you think about how to knock strokes off of your game.

Good luck with the new season and hope the putter fitting goes well! Please update the thread when you do get fitted.

This is incredibly helpful. I am a 40 handicap and was trying to figure out a method in the reward system and just settled out on 5 strokes being a good marker. Those 5 strokes may be easier at the top end at first but get increasingly difficult to eliminate as you point out. I'll take your advice and rework the system to include other metrics or less strokes. 

I do agree about your perspective about the scoring ceiling and the limitation with the existing clubs. My thinking behind it currently is to eliminate dumb ideas on the course and prioritise the correct shot and not just pin-hunt, etc. I'm currently reading Jon Sherman's "Four Foundations of Golf" which references "Every Stroke Counts", so I'll add it to my reading list. 

Thank you! I will. Your comment is really valued, thank you. 

• Like 1

Nice clubs! However if your handicap is that high I’d strongly suggest getting clubs that might help you out a bit more. High lofted hybrids can be life savers on the course as those mishits aren’t nearly as punishing compared to irons. Also perhaps T350 or even T200 I think would help your approach play over T100s, which are forgiving for how small they are, but a lot less forgiving than larger faced irons (I play a T200 4 iron and it’s probably my favorite club in the bag). 

Hope your game improves during 2024! Just focusing on course management can also help you a ton if you know the preferred areas to miss, laying up, etc. 😊

• Like 3

Titleist TSR2 11° - Tour AD UB 7x

Titleist TSR2 16.5° - Tour AD UB 8x

Titleist TSR2 21° - Tour AD UB 8x

Titleist T200 4 iron - Tour AD DI 105x

Titleist T150 5 iron - Modus 130x

Titleist 620 CB 6 iron - Modus 130x

Titleist 620 MB 7 - P - Modus 130x

Vokey SM9 50F, 54D, 58LBK - Modus 125x

Ping PLD Custom Anser 30

19 minutes ago, millerj said:

Nice clubs! However if your handicap is that high I’d strongly suggest getting clubs that might help you out a bit more. High lofted hybrids can be life savers on the course as those mishits aren’t nearly as punishing compared to irons. Also perhaps T350 or even T200 I think would help your approach play over T100s, which are forgiving for how small they are, but a lot less forgiving than larger faced irons (I play a T200 4 iron and it’s probably my favorite club in the bag). 

Hope your game improves during 2024! Just focusing on course management can also help you a ton if you know the preferred areas to miss, laying up, etc. 😊

I've been thinking about changing them up but I haven't got issues with launching the ball in the air. I just need to play more and not lose my rhythm. I do hit them well, I just find I make silly errors when I haven't played in a while and they're more punishing as a result than an alternative game improvement iron. That said, I do love the U505 and how easy it is to hit; if a set of T200s or T350s reflected that, I'd be a happy man. 

I must say I'm trying to be a tight arse and not spend more money. Perhaps, I could use it as a reward in the future to earn. 

Will do, thank you! I've been watching a lot of Golf Sidekick on YT who's been great at explaining course management. 

• Like 1

Sweet setup Josh!

I like the reward system for shaving strokes, but Golf is hard enough without being able to use all your clubs.

I’ve only been playing for 3 yrs now, but I’ve learned to try and enjoy rounds, enjoy the process, and not be so hard on myself. You can’t be too tied to scores at the beginning of your journey, or else you’ll just be frustrated and miserable all the time.

Biggest thing for shaving strokes to me is: 

1) Keep it in play off the Tee

2) Work on your short game inside 50-100 yds

3) Don’t 3-putt

I’m no Pro, but just focusing on those 3 things has helped me continue to improve. Just keep chipping away and try to enjoy the ride!

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym X (11*) / Hzrdus Black Smoke 6.0

Callaway Paradym X (15*) / Hzrdus Silver 6.0

Callaway Rogue St Max OS (21*) / Tensei AV Blue 75 S

Srixon ZX5 (4-PW) / Nippon Modus3 Tour 105 S

Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore (52* Mid, 58* Mid) / DG Spinner

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

On 12/27/2023 at 4:33 AM, BallerNate said:

Sweet setup Josh!

I like the reward system for shaving strokes, but Golf is hard enough without being able to use all your clubs.

I’ve only been playing for 3 yrs now, but I’ve learned to try and enjoy rounds, enjoy the process, and not be so hard on myself. You can’t be too tied to scores at the beginning of your journey, or else you’ll just be frustrated and miserable all the time.

Biggest thing for shaving strokes to me is: 

1) Keep it in play off the Tee

2) Work on your short game inside 50-100 yds

3) Don’t 3-putt

I’m no Pro, but just focusing on those 3 things has helped me continue to improve. Just keep chipping away and try to enjoy the ride!

I've been using Arccos over the last 12 months which has been a big help to identify my shortcomings. 

At the moment, what's costing me the most strokes is:

1. 0-3 meter putts (I lose a staggering 4.9 strokes in puts between 2-2.9m).

2. Par 3 tee shots.

3. 100-150 meter approach shots. 

My short game is my strongest part at the moment (being 0-45m). 

Thanks for the advice!

• Like 1

After @BlueDragonKorea helpful advice, I've revised the reward system. 

Statistics will be reviewed on a 3-monthly basis with the following to achieve to earn back the following sets of clubs:

1. Driver - Reduce penalties average from 2.9 strokes to 1

2. Fairway Wood - Half double bogey averages from 12.9 to 6.6 per round average

3. Long Irons - Reduce average of strokes lost on approach by tee shots (currently 4.1)

4. Wedges - Average 3 pars per round

5. Ball - Reduce handicap by 5 strokes

Again, still difficult but attainable per metric. 

Cheers for your help everyone. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Davethegolfer said:

You have a bag of equipment that is not really designed for where your handicap is. And I'm guessing your course management needs a lot of focus. Please tell me you are taking lessons?

I feel like I've touched on these things in my earlier posts. I agree, my irons aren't necessarily suited to my handicap; I've owned them for 12 months now and have not had issues launching the ball, compressing the ball, getting the ball to stop, etc. Have I had issues doing this consistently? Absolutely! Haha! I'll look at changing these  later in 2024 if I need more forgiveness, but at the moment, I need to save my money. 

Regarding lessons; I had been taking lessons earlier in the year but had been unable to continue due to a lack of consistency with game time and practice due to the completion of my studies. I will be exploring this again in 2024. I'd love to have an on course lesson to learn more about course management. 

Edited by TreqJosh

A lot of comments here on clubs not fitting the handicap, but I have always believed that playing whatever suits your eye and swing is what works. For instance, I have always been to fast to play "game improvement" irons even when I was scoring in the 110s. I was already launching the ball 110 feet in the air and carrying a blade 7i 190 yards. Keep the game simple and work on hitting the ball centered and you'll improve. I have played blades since high school and it helped my ball striking more than it hurt. With the game management, look up Decade golf. There have been a few videos on YouTube instead of paying for the program that will help, but I am sure the program would really help. 

• Like 2

Dr: Mizuno ST-G 440, Kai'Li White 70TX
3w: TSR2 15*, HZRDUS Black 6.5 70g
3i: Mizuno Fli Hi, HZRDUS Black 6.5 80g
4i: New Level NLU-01 24*, HZRDUS Black 6.5 100g
5i-7i: Takomo 301CB, TI X100 Black Onyx
8i-PW: Takomo 301MB, TI X100 Black Onyx
51*: Mizuno T22 Raw, TI X100 Black Onyx

55*: Mizuno T22 Raw, TI S400 Black Onyx

60*: Taylormade HI-Toe 3 Tour Grind, TI S400 Black Onyx
P: Meridian Charleston Mid Slant Custom

7 hours ago, jrdubbb said:

A lot of comments here on clubs not fitting the handicap, but I have always believed that playing whatever suits your eye and swing is what works. For instance, I have always been to fast to play "game improvement" irons even when I was scoring in the 110s. I was already launching the ball 110 feet in the air and carrying a blade 7i 190 yards. Keep the game simple and work on hitting the ball centered and you'll improve. I have played blades since high school and it helped my ball striking more than it hurt. With the game management, look up Decade golf. There have been a few videos on YouTube instead of paying for the program that will help, but I am sure the program would really help. 

I just finished reading Jon Sherman's "The Four Foundations of Golf" which references the DECADE system. I've been curious about it along with Mark Broadie's "Every Shot Counts". Thanks for the advice, I'll check the YouTube videos out also. 

I agree regarding the irons, I know it's not convention but I am able to find the middle of the club face than someone typical of my handicap. I found what was more benefitting to me with my swing is the extra weight. Moving to 120g Project X 6.0 shafts and going an 1/2" over standard length has made it easier for me.

That being said, a game friendly iron would certainly help on mishits more often than the T100s but with the T100s being less forgiving, I've learnt more about what cause the mishit to happen too. 

• Like 2

I do like the idea but here are some thoughts:

1. don’t take clubs out that help you! No driver CAN be helpful but also means longer approach shots (an area where you struggle)

2. T100s is not an easy iron to hit. I would evaluate wether they might be hurting your approaches as well.

I wish you the best of luck for the 2024 season and (most importantly): have fun, because fun makes you play more and relax more on the course. Both will help you

• Like 1

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5° @9.5°

Cobra Radspeed Big Tour @ 15.5°

Mizuno ST-Z 230 19°@20°

PING i230 4-U, +1/2", green dot
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 54° Full Sole

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 60° Mid Sole

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

4 hours ago, Bunkersarebigcups said:

I do like the idea but here are some thoughts:

1. don’t take clubs out that help you! No driver CAN be helpful but also means longer approach shots (an area where you struggle)

2. T100s is not an easy iron to hit. I would evaluate wether they might be hurting your approaches as well.

I wish you the best of luck for the 2024 season and (most importantly): have fun, because fun makes you play more and relax more on the course. Both will help you

I agree 100%!

I gave him the same advice over the Holidays. Golf is hard enough without punishing yourself.

You have to have some grace with yourself and enjoy the process, or else it’s a more frustrating and brutal game than it already is!

I just started playing in June 2020, and have tried so many Blades, CB’s/Players Irons etc. I recently said “screw It” and ordered a set of ZX5 Distance Irons, and have a set or forgiving Nike Irons on the way too.

My focus now is forgiveness and distance in every part of my bag to make the game as enjoyable as possible!

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym X (11*) / Hzrdus Black Smoke 6.0

Callaway Paradym X (15*) / Hzrdus Silver 6.0

Callaway Rogue St Max OS (21*) / Tensei AV Blue 75 S

Srixon ZX5 (4-PW) / Nippon Modus3 Tour 105 S

Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore (52* Mid, 58* Mid) / DG Spinner

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

I played yesterday at St Michaels in Sydney for the first time (a mixture of 'parkland' and links style golf). Great conditions, slope rating 133 & par 72. Hit a terrible score but made some improvements (approach improved by 2.8 strokes and short game improved by 2.1 strokes - per Arccos). Driving & putting deteriorated - driving dropped 8.6 strokes (a lot of penalties) and putting was just awful. 

I brought my Driver, 5 wood & 5 iron in addition to the clubs I've chosen as back-up. I didn't use my 5 iron all day. I used the driver twice (towards the end of the day out of frustration) and used the 5 wood twice (recovery shot and fairway shot). I used the 2 iron three times, it was most effective off the tee on a Par 3 but overall, I should and will swap this out for the 5 wood. The 5 wood is more forgiving with better distance. 

The irons were okay, I struggled from 75-100m in to greens. I will say the T100s did punish me when I would collapse my trail arm in the back swing causing a hook/sling shot. I need to work more on my technique on not letting that happen and got rewarded when I didn't collapse my trail arm. 

I appreciate @BallerNate & @Bunkersarebigcups input. I agree. I'll be putting the 5 wood back in the bag in place of the 2 iron. At the moment, I need to work on my driver swing. I'll revisit the irons later in the year when I've got a bit more money, I'll just have to put up with them for now and just play more consistently. 

• Like 1

Dropping 9 shots off the tee can be frustrating, but working getting the ball in play with whatever club you feel the best with is the most important thing for your score. I still believe the irons aren't actually the issue with your approach game, and as you said it was when the trail arm collapsed that you hit bad shots. Doesn't matter how much 'game improvement' they put in an iron, your face angle won't get corrected. With a lot of the game improvement irons, you'll still hit a hook but it will just go further left. Just keep work on squaring it up!

13 hours ago, jrdubbb said:

Dropping 9 shots off the tee can be frustrating, but working getting the ball in play with whatever club you feel the best with is the most important thing for your score. I still believe the irons aren't actually the issue with your approach game, and as you said it was when the trail arm collapsed that you hit bad shots. Doesn't matter how much 'game improvement' they put in an iron, your face angle won't get corrected. With a lot of the game improvement irons, you'll still hit a hook but it will just go further left. Just keep work on squaring it up!

Agreed, if I go with a SGI or GI, typically the offset is more than the T100s. At the moment, my miss is a hook - moving to a bigger offset iron would only encourage this on bad hits as you say. 

I started the day off with the intention to hit irons of the tee and settled on my 6 iron. By the back nine, my swing was getting sloppy. This along with frustration towards the end of the day only exacerbated the problem. As bad as it sounds given the results, my striking was a lot better with the irons than the round previously. I certainly think I can turn it around with tee shots and my putting. Thanks @jrdubbb

• Like 1

I spent a little bit of time this afternoon reviewing my Arccos data for my club lengths and gapping. The following is a summary. I've highlighted clubs that are costing distance. Ideal distance is shown in meters. This data covers the last 12 months. 

image.png.c0b155072eb410d5e70f582a7040f7a3.png

Driver aside, does anybody have any input for long irons? There's quite a gap between 5 wood, then 2 iron then to 5 iron. 5 wood I got fitted for back in February 2023 and is amazing. 

For context, I've got one shot recorded for my 4 iron (duffed) & 5-6 shots for 5 iron - another reason of going to 6-PW in the bag - I just don't use them that often and I'm hesitant to upgrade each of these clubs but perhaps for versatility, I could explore a 22 degree hybrid as a stop gap. Would love any input, cheers!

P.S. The average successful shot across Dr to GW is roughly 25% (i.e. being 1 shot in 4 is well hit). This can be misleading as PW & GW can be used for varying shots for approach in, etc. 

Edited by TreqJosh

Looks like 7 wood and a couple hybrids would really help fill in the yardages. Once you start hitting more solid shots, you'll get more consistent distances. It looks like the as the clubs get longer the miss hits are costing you more and more distance. Look into used Ping fairway woods and hybrids, especially the G425. If you can find some used clubs in similar specs to your 5 wood that could bridge the gap from 6i to 5w. 

5 hours ago, jrdubbb said:

Looks like 7 wood and a couple hybrids would really help fill in the yardages. Once you start hitting more solid shots, you'll get more consistent distances. It looks like the as the clubs get longer the miss hits are costing you more and more distance. Look into used Ping fairway woods and hybrids, especially the G425. If you can find some used clubs in similar specs to your 5 wood that could bridge the gap from 6i to 5w. 

Yeah, that's it. There's a clearance place not from my work that has a couple of new G425's in the wrapper. I'll check them out again. I haven't played a hybrid in a long while but I did use to own a G425 3 Hybrid some time ago and remember it being my favourite out of the ones I've owned. 

I might concentrate on a 4 hybrid to break up that gap between 6 iron and 5 wood for now (at least halve the problem). Cheers @jrdubbb - appreciate it as always!

• Like 1

I don't want to read all of comments but it doesn't seem like anyone has suggested this so I thought I'd add my opinion in here

Why don't you play a full-on half set instead of just taking out your Driver & Woods just cuz Arccos says they are costing you shots. Golf is just as much about confidence as it is about technique and you are doing yourself no favors by taking those clubs out of the bag when building up confidence with them will do you a lot of good. Additionally, you are making the game equally more difficult for yourself by taking 6 clubs out of your bag then being bad with all 14 of them. If anything, you should be focusing more on the clubs that are costing you shots than completely shying away from them

Edited by CKaneb
  • Like 1

Driver: Titleist TSR3 10° (@ 9.25°, B3 SureFit Setting) w/ Project X Small Batch HZRDUS Smoke Green PVD 60 6.5TX (45") D4

3 Wood: Titleist TS2 15° (C4 SureFit Setting) w/ Project X Small Batch HZRDUS Smoke Green PVD 70 6.5TX (43, tipped 0.5") D4

3 Iron: TaylorMade P790 18° w/ Graphite Design Tour AD HY 95-X (40") D4

Irons: Titleist 620 CB (4 - 9) w/ KBS Tour 125 S+ | D4

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM10 (46° @ 45°-10F, 50°-12F, 54°-08M), Vokey SM7 (58°-03A) w/ KBS Tour 125 S+ (46°, 50°) KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 125 S Black PVD (54°, 58°) | D4

Putter: Odyssey White Hot Versa 1 Black (35.5")

Grips: Golf Pride Tour Velvet BCT Cord Midsize (1 + 1) & Golf Pride Tour Velvet Super Tack Midsize (1 + 1), Golf Pride Pro Only 72cc

Ball: Titleist Pro V1

18 minutes ago, CKaneb said:

I don't want to read all of comments but it doesn't seem like anyone has suggested this so I thought I'd add my opinion in here

Why don't you play a full half set instead of just taking out your Driver & Woods just cuz Arccos says they are costing you shots. Golf is just as much about confidence as it is about technique and you are doing yourself no favors by taking those clubs out of the bag when building up confidence with them will do you a lot of good. Additionally, you are making the game equally more difficult for yourself by taking 6 clubs out of your bag then being bad with all 14 of them. If anything, you should be focusing more on the clubs that are costing you shots than completely shying away from them

Good shout. I was considering a half set for a round of 9 holes at the local council course to see how I'd track as an experiment. 

At the moment, I've got all the clubs (but for 2 iron and 4 iron) back in the bag. On jrdubbb's advice, I've picked up a new G425 4-hybrid to help with gapping.

The next time I play a full round, I'll give the whole bag a go. My original intention about slimming down the bag was to help with decision paralysis and to avoid stupid low IQ shots. But having majority of irons in the bag doesn't solve the paralysis issue and having one long club doesn't get me out of trouble either as you highlight. 

I'll update with the full bag at a later date. 

• Like 2

On 1/6/2024 at 2:14 PM, TreqJosh said:

I played yesterday at St Michaels in Sydney for the first time (a mixture of 'parkland' and links style golf). Great conditions, slope rating 133 & par 72. Hit a terrible score but made some improvements (approach improved by 2.8 strokes and short game improved by 2.1 strokes - per Arccos). Driving & putting deteriorated - driving dropped 8.6 strokes (a lot of penalties) and putting was just awful. 

I brought my Driver, 5 wood & 5 iron in addition to the clubs I've chosen as back-up. I didn't use my 5 iron all day. I used the driver twice (towards the end of the day out of frustration) and used the 5 wood twice (recovery shot and fairway shot). I used the 2 iron three times, it was most effective off the tee on a Par 3 but overall, I should and will swap this out for the 5 wood. The 5 wood is more forgiving with better distance. 

The irons were okay, I struggled from 75-100m in to greens. I will say the T100s did punish me when I would collapse my trail arm in the back swing causing a hook/sling shot. I need to work more on my technique on not letting that happen and got rewarded when I didn't collapse my trail arm. 

I appreciate @BallerNate & @Bunkersarebigcups input. I agree. I'll be putting the 5 wood back in the bag in place of the 2 iron. At the moment, I need to work on my driver swing. I'll revisit the irons later in the year when I've got a bit more money, I'll just have to put up with them for now and just play more consistently. 

Nice bag.  I like the pics as well.  Reminds me of a Golf Digest from back in the day "WITB".

I played St Michaels in Sydney just before Xmas, and it is a beautiful course with lots of unique challenges.  Very slick and nuanced greens so not suprised you didn't have a lot of success putting, especially if you hadn't played much there before.  Tight tee shots, long par 3s, and tricky greens at times.  Stunning scenery though and some wide open holes on the back nine where you can pin your ears back with the driver.

I won't offer too much advice, but learn to hit your driver.  Biggest club face, most forgiving, and the closer you can get to the green the better.  I would also use a line on your ball for putting.  Line it up, then simply focus on your speed.  Last one, use a 56 degree as your highest lofted wedge.  I always see higher handicapper using far too much loft around the greens when a gap or PW will do.  Where appropriate, get the ball rolling as soon as you can.

I think it's very exciting that you're a high handicapper with so much scope to improve. 

G430 LST 9*
G15 17.5*
G425 19*
W/S Blade 3-P
S22 51* Zipcore 56* S20 60*
Sigma 2 Arna Stealth

I know everyone is different but for me 4, 5 and 6 hybrids work better than long irons or higher lofted fairway woods. They are just easier in all conditions and situations for me.

Might be worth giving one a demo.

• Like 2

Callaway mavrik max 10.5

Callaway mavrik max 3 & 5 wood
Ping g30  26* & 30* hybrids
Ping i200 6 - UW

Ping glide 54* & 60* wedges
Odyssey #7 putter

On 1/19/2024 at 5:22 PM, beluga99 said:

Nice bag.  I like the pics as well.  Reminds me of a Golf Digest from back in the day "WITB".

I played St Michaels in Sydney just before Xmas, and it is a beautiful course with lots of unique challenges.  Very slick and nuanced greens so not suprised you didn't have a lot of success putting, especially if you hadn't played much there before.  Tight tee shots, long par 3s, and tricky greens at times.  Stunning scenery though and some wide open holes on the back nine where you can pin your ears back with the driver.

I won't offer too much advice, but learn to hit your driver.  Biggest club face, most forgiving, and the closer you can get to the green the better.  I would also use a line on your ball for putting.  Line it up, then simply focus on your speed.  Last one, use a 56 degree as your highest lofted wedge.  I always see higher handicapper using far too much loft around the greens when a gap or PW will do.  Where appropriate, get the ball rolling as soon as you can.

I think it's very exciting that you're a high handicapper with so much scope to improve. 

I love seeing those WITB in Golf Digest! Not sure if it was inspired by it but they’re great. 

Are you a Sydney local? It’s not a course I’d typically play, I’d go broke pretty quickly if I did, haha! It’s a great course and a lot of fun but certainly not one I’d recommend for my level of ability. Great place to enjoy a day out!

I’ve put a new shaft in the driver. Slightly less stout and less weight to help. I’m excited to give it a try. My highest lofted wedge is a 58°, I’ve only ever hit one full shot with it and only use it for around the greens. I like using it as it has low bounce on certain courses in comparison to the 54° where I find it difficult to get the club under on fairway greens. Short game is my best part of my game. 

Yeah, agreed, I’m enjoying the process. 

I’ve attached my Arccos round stats too:

IMG_5459.jpeg

• Like 2

On 1/19/2024 at 10:49 PM, CDLgolf said:

I know everyone is different but for me 4, 5 and 6 hybrids work better than long irons or higher lofted fairway woods. They are just easier in all conditions and situations for me.

Might be worth giving one a demo.

I picked up a G425 4 Hybrid last weekend. It’s been good as practising with it has forced me to deal with my club path issues otherwise I’ll hook it. Over time, I’ll probably add a 5 hybrid to help too. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, TreqJosh said:

I love seeing those WITB in Golf Digest! Not sure if it was inspired by it but they’re great. 

Are you a Sydney local? It’s not a course I’d typically play, I’d go broke pretty quickly if I did, haha! It’s a great course and a lot of fun but certainly not one I’d recommend for my level of ability. Great place to enjoy a day out!

I’ve put a new shaft in the driver. Slightly less stout and less weight to help. I’m excited to give it a try. My highest lofted wedge is a 58°, I’ve only ever hit one full shot with it and only use it for around the greens. I like using it as it has low bounce on certain courses in comparison to the 54° where I find it difficult to get the club under on fairway greens. Short game is my best part of my game. 

Yeah, agreed, I’m enjoying the process. 

I’ve attached my Arccos round stats too:

IMG_5459.jpeg

No not a Sydney local, just went and played with a friend whilst I was there.  You're right, a little pricey but nice for a once in a while round.

Tracking your data as above is something I really wish I had done when I started.  You can then really analyse where you're losing shots.  Stick at it!

G430 LST 9*
G15 17.5*
G425 19*
W/S Blade 3-P
S22 51* Zipcore 56* S20 60*
Sigma 2 Arna Stealth

2 hours ago, beluga99 said:

No not a Sydney local, just went and played with a friend whilst I was there.  You're right, a little pricey but nice for a once in a while round.

Tracking your data as above is something I really wish I had done when I started.  You can then really analyse where you're losing shots.  Stick at it!

Ah nice! Great place to come and play out of all of the options in Sydney! 

Thank you! Arccos has been great, in fact, a lot of the information and technology now has made it far easier to learn how to swing a club. Cheers beluga99!