2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Women golfers

PGMlady

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't.

I believe that high handicap players generally take longer to play than low handicap players. Since most women don't play as much as men and consequently have higher handicaps it is more common that women take more time.

It is not a gender thing, it is a skill thing.

PS

You don't have to be a low handicapper to be fast: anyone can learn that. The problem is that many high handicappers don't learn or don't remember what to do.

I absolutely LOVE playing with women golfers. Generally - they are some of the nicest folks, very unpretentious, polite, and gracious partners you can ever play golf with. My only comment is........it's comical :dntknw: to watch MEN golfers always attempting to give them advice and lessons while on the course.

Yes, I do see some women playing very slowly, but this is not a generalization of women - As peter posted - it's more a generalization of people who don't know much about golf etiquette.

I do not believe that it is true, although I have heard it quite often. In fact, I believe you are much less likely to get "stuck" behind a group of ladies than men as the ladies are more apt to be polite and courteous if they are playing slowly and let people through. Men, however, seem to have more of an ego problem letting a group of other guys play through. Again, all generalizations ... slow play is slow play regardless of age or gender. :dntknw:

Aren't stereotypes swell?! I play with a muni Sunday-morning women's league (hdcp ave 24). The starters love to see us show up because we play so quickly. We play ready golf -- the shortest hitter tees off first. There are no delays as when some poluka stomps and snuffs until the group is just about out of range before hitting into them, followed by his buddies who have difficulty clearing the forward tees. The standard problems that we encounter that back up the course aren't so much slow play as lousy play -- no one seems to have ever heard of Equitable Stroke ... like pick it up after 8-10 strokes. These clowns have no business on a busy course on a weekend morning. Unfortunately, starters aren't permitted to ask anyone attempting to tee off before 10 whether they are capable of shooting a sub-70 for 9 holes. Although I have seen the Pro zip out and ask a group to pick up the pace when it's taken them an inordinate amount of time to get to the green on either 1 or 10 and there are groups backing up on the tee.

Aren't stereotypes swell?! I play with a muni Sunday-morning women's league (hdcp ave 24). The starters love to see us show up because we play so quickly. We play ready golf -- the shortest hitter tees off first. There are no delays as when some poluka stomps and snuffs until the group is just about out of range before hitting into them, followed by his buddies who have difficulty clearing the forward tees. The standard problems that we encounter that back up the course aren't so much slow play as lousy play -- no one seems to have ever heard of Equitable Stroke ... like pick it up after 8-10 strokes. These clowns have no business on a busy course on a weekend morning. Unfortunately, starters aren't permitted to ask anyone attempting to tee off before 10 whether they are capable of shooting a sub-70 for 9 holes. Although I have seen the Pro zip out and ask a group to pick up the pace when it's taken them an inordinate amount of time to get to the green on either 1 or 10 and there are groups backing up on the tee.

Thank you and I agree. I play regularly with my group of gals and we're always greeted with great warmth and anticipation. We play ready golf and are always willing to let a group or soloist play through. And when I have played with the men, I've noticed that they have a tendency to want to hit every single shot just to say they did it. Meanwhile, making every excuse in the book of why the shot(s) aren't coming off they way they should.

In general, what is your opinion of Women golfers?

I know that most men will complain that we are slow, but this is not always true. There have been many times when I have been held up because of a guys in front of me.

Do you believe this common stereotype?

No, not in stereotyping. Usually however it doesnt matter who is playing around 11:00 and later on the weekend. Man, woman, old, or young they are slow in general around our parts. Seems that the more experienced golfers that are better players are just faster in general. Less shots and conscious of the clock. You can tell by looking at a group if they will be slow or not. Clothes, swing, etc. You can just tell by looking at times. The 2 minute preshot routine is a givaway. Another one is the guy or girl waits to line up thier putt AFTER the player before them has finished putting.

:dntknw:

I personally love playing with women on the golf course because the majority of them have the same out look on the game as I do. It's a game, go out and play it and have fun doing so. Enjoy the the outdoors and the beauty of the course for what it is worth.

I really hate playing with people who have such big ego's and think they are much better players than what they are. Always looking for the excuse as to why they are not playing to what they think is there potential. I don't care how well you play and I don't care if you hit a bad shot, it is how you carry yourself when you do hit the bad shot that is all I care about. My demeaner is if I hit a bad shot so what, once it's gone you can't take it back so find it and try to hit it again.

Too many people take this game way to seriously. Even though I am trying to follow a dream and play professionally, the day I stop enjoying the game is the day I stop playing all together. So women or men just go out and play the game, learn to love the game for the sport of it and by all means treat your fellow golfer male or female with the same respect you would want them to treat you with........

Just my 2 cents........ :dntknw:

Women golfers, in general, play faster than men AND they play by ALL of the rules ie no gimmies, no mulligans, full penalties... My thursday morning ladies league (48 women, ages 40-70) and they play from 3 1/2 to 4 hours every week! I love it because the guys who tee-off after them always come in and b**** on how there's a ladies league in front of them and i just tell them, listen guy, you just try and keep up with THEM! i love women golfers!

3Jack, sorry you have had poor experiences while golfing with women. Ya think their attitude might be reflective of how you and your gumbas have treated them? Nah, couldn't be. You might have had a more positive outcome had you explained and asked them politely to let you play through vs. roaring up, hitting into them, or demanding to play through. On only one occasion did I get a negative response to a request preceded by "Please". Of course that group was dumber than dirt and said they had already let three groups through -- like, gee, maybe that was a clue. You also might be amazed at the number of men who aren't really impressed or comfortable with loud borish behavior and potty mouths on a course. Ya do leave yer t-shirt on, don't ya?

3Jack, sorry you have had poor experiences while golfing with women. Ya think their attitude might be reflective of how you and your gumbas have treated them? Nah, couldn't be. You might have had a more positive outcome had you explained and asked them politely to let you play through vs. roaring up, hitting into them, or demanding to play through. On only one occasion did I get a negative response to a request preceded by "Please". Of course that group was dumber than dirt and said they had already let three groups through -- like, gee, maybe that was a clue. You also might be amazed at the number of men who aren't really impressed or comfortable with loud borish behavior and potty mouths on a course. Ya do leave yer t-shirt on, don't ya?

I love it!! :dntknw: :drinks: :wave: :beach:

Sorry, 3Jack, it was a cheap shot. However, you should have explained the situation to the ladies and politely asked to play through. There is a whole raft of male and female idjits on courses (private and public) who pay no attention (mores the pity) to what is happening behind them. You are just as likely to encounter players that think because it's a private course they can play at their own pace. We have all been there and seen that. That you are embarrassed enough by your behavior to refrain from such activities when a woman is present pretty much speaks volumes about its appropriateness. You might try looking around for those little abandoned refrigerators, aka portapotties, that courses set out for the purpose. Yuk, how disgusting to be searching for a lost golf ball in your open-air latrine has to be really wonderful for the other members. It's really too bad that your idea of relaxation is to out wit da boys and act like a 10-year old -- poor language skills, inappropriate attire, and under-developed social skills. You an NBA star?

Sorry, 3Jack, it was a cheap shot. However, you should have explained the situation to the ladies and politely asked to play through. There is a whole raft of male and female idjits on courses (private and public) who pay no attention (mores the pity) to what is happening behind them. You are just as likely to encounter players that think because it's a private course they can play at their own pace. We have all been there and seen that. That you are embarrassed enough by your behavior to refrain from such activities when a woman is present pretty much speaks volumes about its appropriateness. You might try looking around for those little abandoned refrigerators, aka portapotties, that courses set out for the purpose. Yuk, how disgusting to be searching for a lost golf ball in your open-air latrine has to be really wonderful for the other members. It's really too bad that your idea of relaxation is to out wit da boys and act like a 10-year old -- poor language skills, inappropriate attire, and under-developed social skills. You an NBA star?

Wow. :drinks: :dntknw:

You apologize for the cheap shot, and then take several more? You sure like making assumptions on people based on very little information.

The man offers his personal opinion, which was ASKED FOR, and he gets ridiculed for it because it's not what you wanted to hear?

Thank you everyone for sharing your opinion on this topic. I didn't mean for this to become a battle of the sexes.

I don't think its turned into a battle of the sexes...just someone taking issue with my point of view. It was a good topic.

Brian

Yes and Yes on both accounts B. Personally I've played behind some really slow women and men. I don't think slow play has anything to do with gender. I'm used to teeing it up first in the morning with my buddies and if we don't finish in under 3.5 hours, I'm getting a little irritated. I remember when I was playing on the high school team, one of my Coaches said, "if you can't play good, at least play fast".

I've been stuck behind groups of bitchy women quite a bit. If they don't let me play through, well, shame on them for not using proper golf ettiquite. I won't hit into a group of anyone, ever.....I don't appreciate people hitting into me, and I won't do that to other people.

I do wonder who would take more offense to seeing someone pee behind a tree---a female member, the club pro, or the course super? Can't say I've ever oozed that much machismo on the course as to find out. LOL

I've found in my rather low-buck golf experience that for every group of slow, pain in the a** women golfers, there's a group of equally slow, pain in the a** men golfers. Most of the time the slow, pain in the a** golfers think they're better than everyone else, too. Just ask 'em.

I don't hold any sort of stereotype against women golfers in general. I hold a stereotype against snooty rich people who think because they have a limited edition Cameron with 17 fancy stamps, a glow-in-the-dark headcover, billet rims on their Club Car, and $500 shoes to go along with their 21 hdcp hackfest of a game, that they're somehow entitled to hold up & irritate a middle class working stiff with a 12 year old Ping carry bag & generic black headcovers who walks because $24 for an 18 hole cart rental is asinine in his opinion. :wave: LOL

Anyways, we all have an opinion, no need to slam someone for speaking their mind & being honest. :)

Dan-

**no offense to anyone w/ a 21 hdcp who is cool & lets faster minions play through. If you hold up the world 5 putting every green, I meant it directly at you.** :cheesy:

Takomo IGNIS D1 9° HZRDUS Smoke Blue 60g / Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Apex '19 3H HZRDUS Handcrafted HYB 85g
PXG 0311P Gen 6 Black Label Elite 4-G KBS Tour Lite S / Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw / PING ISI Nickel 1-L G Loomis reg flex
Callaway Jaws Raw 54.10S / 58.8Z
PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36" / Bettinardi BB-1 (2022) 35" / PING Anser 2 1981 35" / Scotty Cameron CT Squareback Proto 35" 375g

Outlaw Golf Association #21

I've played behind slow women and slow men. Makes no difference to me what gender. All I say is play ready golf. I don't like having to wait, but I won't hit into people. I've had it done to me and my group before. A group of guys hit their ball into us and hit one of my friends.:cheesy: When they caught up I told them that theiry ball hit her and they neither apologized or felt guilty. :wave: Just told us to play faster. The kick in the head was that we were held up because the male foursome in front of us were playing slow and wouldn't let up play through! How do you like them apples? :)

I would've stomped their ball into the ground so only about 6 dimples were showing. :)

Takomo IGNIS D1 9° HZRDUS Smoke Blue 60g / Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Apex '19 3H HZRDUS Handcrafted HYB 85g
PXG 0311P Gen 6 Black Label Elite 4-G KBS Tour Lite S / Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw / PING ISI Nickel 1-L G Loomis reg flex
Callaway Jaws Raw 54.10S / 58.8Z
PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36" / Bettinardi BB-1 (2022) 35" / PING Anser 2 1981 35" / Scotty Cameron CT Squareback Proto 35" 375g

Outlaw Golf Association #21

3Jack said, "I can only speak to my experience. Everyone else is being all lovely about the topic...I'm not. Don't ask the question if you don't want an honest answer...or does my butt look too big in these jeans?"

Okay, okay -- you spoke vehemently enough in defense of your playing with da boyse that you sounded like the jerks I've met on lots of courses. You can hear them "bonding" by swearing at one another at the top of their lungs on the next fairway. This is just not acceptable and the loudest criticism has been from the men with whom I have been playing. Few golfers haven't expressed their frustration with some form of explicative or other. You just don't have to do it continuously and so that the entire course hears you. Just as there is a difference between drinking and drunkeness. Of course it's more fun to play with friends with whom you don't need to guard your every word or action. I submit, that controlling oneself among strangers has little to do with gender and all to do with comfort level. We play this crazy game best when we are relaxed. Golf is a game and is supposed to be fun. Something is missing/wrong if there isn't just a bit of laughter and joy at some point during a round. We all would be more comfortable out there if other players were aware that they are not the only ones on the course.

3Jack, shame on you -- "This is exactly why they have concealed carry laws in some states!" For crying out loud; it's a GAME! Certainly, all of us have felt this way at times and perhaps even threatened it while playing with our friends. It doesn't mean anyone should advocate such stupidity. Our frustration builds on a crowded course and especially while following a group that is spraying their balls all over, taking 3 to 4 practice swings before advancing the ball maybe 50 yds. Can you imagine the control that any pro has to exercise while playing a 5+ hr round behind other tour players that are shooting par and below? They can't blame the pace of play on "bitchy" women or "hackers".

3Jack, shame on you -- "This is exactly why they have concealed carry laws in some states!" For crying out loud; it's a GAME! Certainly, all of us have felt this way at times and perhaps even threatened it while playing with our friends. It doesn't mean anyone should advocate such stupidity. Our frustration builds on a crowded course and especially while following a group that is spraying their balls all over, taking 3 to 4 practice swings before advancing the ball maybe 50 yds. Can you imagine the control that any pro has to exercise while playing a 5+ hr round behind other tour players that are shooting par and below? They can't blame the pace of play on "bitchy" women or "hackers".

Pardon me, but I think that was meant as a joke. :) You might want to take it down a watt. Or two. Lighten up a bit. I thought this board was a means to express yourself without the fear of recrimination or judgement. :cheesy: :wave: