2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Latissimus Dorsi Muscle Injury While on a Golf Vacation In Palm Springs - Last Update: Finally able to Golf Again

I'm Cdn hiding from winter in Palm Springs since January returning home in mid April. Five days ago while golfing hit driver on 12 hole par 5, I must of pulled a Lat muscle on my right side just under the shoulder felt sharp pain took 2 Advil & barely finished my round. We have supplemental health insurance but don't really want to go to a medical clinic so I've was suffering for the first few days. It's gotten better, rest and mild stretching exercise has helped, including spending time in the hot tub with a few cold bevies at our rental. This afternoon, I tried using my orange whip swinging about 50-60% it didn't feel too bad at the time, but now in the evening my right side is a bit sore.

Wondering what others have done after a similar injury and how long before you could golf again ?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Hope this is the correct forum to ask this question if not someone pls advise.

Cheers

David

Edited by ZipinZ

Ping G430 10k - 10.5° Driver Tour Chrome 2.0 65 or Ventus Blue 6-S Velo

Ping G430 Max 15° 3 Wood - Tour Chrome 2.0 65 S or Ad Di8-S
Ping G430 Max 21° 7 Wood - Tour Chrome 2.0 75 S

Ping G430’s, 4-P/W - UST Recoil ES 780 F4-S

Ping G430 - 45° & 50° - UST Recoil 95's F4-S

Ping Glide Pro 56° - UST Recoil 95's F4-S

Odyssey Versa Jailbird 380 Limited Edition Putter

Ping DLX Cart Bag

V1 Sport Push Cart - Garmin Approach G80

What really sucks is I had a Ping fitting at the beginning of February and ordered a new G430 10K that just arrived on Tuesday and I'm afraid to hit it and hurt my back further.

Ping DLX Cart Bag

• ZipinZ changed the title to Latissimus Dorsi Muscle Injury While on a Golf Vacation In Palm Springs - Need Help

That really sucks to hear.  Maybe a massage would help the most.  Not the happy ending kind.  That would be the least expensive help and should be easy to find.  This came up on a quick search https://palmspringsbeautifulspamassage.com/

Other than that, heat packs and some rest.  I would give it a few days rest.  If you need to play, I would get the area warm and stretch it out slowly before playing.  This is where you need to really use your best posture and swing as good mechanics will help prevent re-injuring it.  Channel your best Monte Scheinblum and swing within yourself.

Ping G430 10K 10.5º Chrome 2.0 S (on order)

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45" (soon to be mothballed)

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM4 56°, SM4 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

Are you certain it's a pulled muscle?  Could be stuck fascia or a knot.  I frequently have these issues due to weight lifting.  I usually use a hard lacrosse ball or hockey ball and roll around on it on the ground or put it up against a wall.  Massage guns work great as well. 

• Like 1

Driver: Sim2 with Ventus Blue 6x
FWY: Sim 2 Ti w/ TenseiAV Raw Blue 75x
Hybrid: PXG 0317x 17* with Fuji Pro 2.0 85x
Irons: PXG 0211ST w/KBS Tour X
54*: Titleist SM6 S grind black finish
58*: New Level Golf SPN Forged M Grind
Putter: Toulon San Diego

Tks fellas for the replies & pointers, it's more than a knot it was quite tender a week ago. My back is feeling much better today, In addition to the stretching & hot tub, I've been using a Tens Machine it helps stimulate the sensitive area. I'm going to give it another day or so before I get back to the range to see how it feels. I'm anxious to test out my new 10K driver, with a proper warm up and with a much easier swing. At least it's nice here mid-70's for next few days.

Cheers

D.

Edited by ZipinZ

Ping DLX Cart Bag

17 minutes ago, ZipinZ said:

Tks fellas for the replies & pointers, it's more than a knot it was quite tender a week ago. My back is feeling much better today, In addition to the stretching & hot tub, I've been using a Tens Machine it helps stimulate the sensitive area. I'm going to give it another day or so before I get back to the range to see how it feels. I'm anxious to test out my new 10K driver, with a proper warm up and with a much easier swing. At least it's nice here mid-70's for next few days.

Cheers

D.

I have a couple of these (one in the car) and roll on it when my back gets wonky (I lay on it starting at the shoulder blades and work my way down).  My back will snap, crackle and pop a bit and it's cheaper than a trip to the chiropractor.  Sometimes I just can't avoid a trip to the chiro though.   Sometimes I just lay on my back with my feet up up on a chair for a while. YMMV.

image.png.bc4f89f9a22cd21bfdc9843af2751edc.png

Vokey SM4 56°, SM4 60°
MCC Align Midsize

Be careful if you're in pain. I thought my herniated L4-5 disc last October was a muscle strain for about a month, so I kept playing golf even though the pain wasn't going away. Only when it started getting worse and radiating down my right leg, and the pain was so bad I couldn't sleep and could barely walk, did I go to the ortho. He pushed me to the front of the surgery line - microdiscectomy on Nov 3. Only now am I able to swing a club again (but pain free!).

2 hours ago, Socrates said:

I have a couple of these (one in the car) and roll on it when my back gets wonky (I lay on it starting at the shoulder blades and work my way down).  My back will snap, crackle and pop a bit and it's cheaper than a trip to the chiropractor.  Sometimes I just can't avoid a trip to the chiro though.   Sometimes I just lay on my back with my feet up up on a chair for a while. YMMV.

image.png.bc4f89f9a22cd21bfdc9843af2751edc.png

That's a great suggestion, the owner of the condo we rent had two in my closet .... will give it a try.

P1100677.JPG.1bdd2e8fe56efeeac1c8698a04cc516a.JPG

Edited by ZipinZ
  • Like 1

Ping DLX Cart Bag

2 hours ago, GungHoGolf said:

Be careful if you're in pain. I thought my herniated L4-5 disc last October was a muscle strain for about a month, so I kept playing golf even though the pain wasn't going away. Only when it started getting worse and radiating down my right leg, and the pain was so bad I couldn't sleep and could barely walk, did I go to the ortho. He pushed me to the front of the surgery line - microdiscectomy on Nov 3. Only now am I able to swing a club again (but pain free!).

Tks for the valuable info, in my case I had a brief issue with same symptoms last summer, however, a little less pain, I took a break & was back to normal in a month. This year I think I was overdoing it swing my driver and my problem returned. I'm no longer in any pain, but don't want to rush back to soon.

Cheers

D.

• Like 2

Ping DLX Cart Bag

I've strained my lats before.  Taking NSAIDs temporarily for the first few days is fine to keep the inflammation down.  Ice packs work wonders to.  Heating pads should be applied after inflammation has gone down to promote better blood flow to the area to get as much healing factors in there as your body will allow.  No golf or doing any direct work in that area for a couple weeks.  You may need more time depending on if it's a grade 1 or 2 tear.  

Edited by phizzy30
  • Thanks 1

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

25 minutes ago, phizzy30 said:

I've strained my lats before.  Taking NSAIDs temporarily for the first few days is fine to keep the inflammation down.  Ice packs work wonders to.  Heating pads should be applied after inflammation has gone down to promote better blood flow to the area to get as much healing factors in there as your body will allow.  No golf or doing any direct work in that area for a couple weeks.  You may need more time depending on if it's a grade 1 or 2 tear.  

Tks ... was hoping for someone with same symptoms to reply. What you've suggested makes good sense, it's been 5 days since the occurrence, I can wait & see how my progress improves, hoping by this time next week I can get back out and play, watching all the golfers going by our rental on #9 is frustrating.

Cheers

D.

Ping DLX Cart Bag

• ZipinZ changed the title to Latissimus Dorsi Muscle Injury While on a Golf Vacation In Palm Springs - Update: Tks for the pointers.

Google found me the following to help.

How to Rehab your Latissimus Dorsi Muscle

If you have an injury or muscle imbalance involving your latissimus dorsi muscle, rehab exercises can help to strengthen and stretch the muscle, improve flexibility, and reduce the risk of future injuries. Here are some rehab exercises you can try:

1. Scapular retractions: Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart and your arms by your sides. Squeeze your shoulder blades together, pulling them towards your spine. Hold for a few seconds, then release. Repeat 10-15 times.
  2. Seated rows: Sit on the edge of a bench with your feet planted on the ground. Hold a weight in each hand, palms facing inward. Pull the weights towards your body, squeezing your shoulder blades together. Slowly release and repeat 10-15 times.
  3. Reverse flyes: Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart and a weight in each hand. Bend forward slightly at the waist and extend your arms out to the sides, keeping your elbows slightly bent. Lift the weights up and out to the sides, squeezing your shoulder blades together. Slowly release and repeat 10-15 times.
  4. Latissimus dorsi stretch: Follow the stretching instructions provided above to stretch your latissimus dorsi muscle.

Ping DLX Cart Bag

1 hour ago, ZipinZ said:

Google found me the following to help.

How to Rehab your Latissimus Dorsi Muscle

If you have an injury or muscle imbalance involving your latissimus dorsi muscle, rehab exercises can help to strengthen and stretch the muscle, improve flexibility, and reduce the risk of future injuries. Here are some rehab exercises you can try:

1. Scapular retractions: Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart and your arms by your sides. Squeeze your shoulder blades together, pulling them towards your spine. Hold for a few seconds, then release. Repeat 10-15 times.
  2. Seated rows: Sit on the edge of a bench with your feet planted on the ground. Hold a weight in each hand, palms facing inward. Pull the weights towards your body, squeezing your shoulder blades together. Slowly release and repeat 10-15 times.
  3. Reverse flyes: Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart and a weight in each hand. Bend forward slightly at the waist and extend your arms out to the sides, keeping your elbows slightly bent. Lift the weights up and out to the sides, squeezing your shoulder blades together. Slowly release and repeat 10-15 times.
  4. Latissimus dorsi stretch: Follow the stretching instructions provided above to stretch your latissimus dorsi muscle.

Seated rows and reverse flyes need to be done with very light weight.  You risk making the lat tear even worse if you go too heavy. 

Edited by phizzy30
  • Thanks 1

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

1 hour ago, phizzy30 said:

Seated rows and reverse flyes need to be done with very light weight.  You risk making the lat tear even worse if you go too heavy. 

The condo owner were we stay has 5, 10 & 15 lb weights, Tks for the tip won't over do it.

D.

Ping DLX Cart Bag

Update: Hurt my back on Feb 11th, it's been 12 days of rest, stretching, mild exercise, hot tub, 35 min Tens machine and the last few days working with 15 lb kettle bell weight's. Did a good warm-up & went out to the range this afternoon, hitting p/w wedge, 8i, then 3 wood & driver.  No issues until I hit my B-new G430 10K driver that arrived last week, I could feel some discomfort but nothing like I experienced 2 weeks ago, quit after 6-8 balls, came home with 1/2 bucket. Sure do love the new 10K, it's a bty.

Getting much better but still not 100%, as people suggested it could take a full month to get back to normal. Will continue the exercises and hope I can get back out on the course in March, not much of a golf holiday this year, we return to Canada on April 5th. 

D.

Ping DLX Cart Bag

3 hours ago, ZipinZ said:

Update: Hurt my back on Feb 11th, it's been 12 days of rest, stretching, mild exercise, hot tub, 35 min Tens machine and the last few days working with 15 lb kettle bell weight's. Did a good warm-up & went out to the range this afternoon, hitting p/w wedge, 8i, then 3 wood & driver.  No issues until I hit my B-new G430 10K driver that arrived last week, I could feel some discomfort but nothing like I experienced 2 weeks ago, quit after 6-8 balls, came home with 1/2 bucket. Sure do love the new 10K, it's a bty.

Getting much better but still not 100%, as people suggested it could take a full month to get back to normal. Will continue the exercises and hope I can get back out on the course in March, not much of a golf holiday this year, we return to Canada on April 5th. 

D.

Glad to hear you are on the mend.  Weather is all screwed up here.  Wild swings in temp (+6 one day and -20 the next).  Called back to work for Mar. 1 which is a month early.  We will see how this pans out.  

BTW, the Shockwave treatments on the shoulder went nowhere.  I did have some high hopes.  Waiting for my GP to set up a cortisone shot for early March.  Looking forward to at least 4-6 months of pain relief and maybe more.

Vokey SM4 56°, SM4 60°
MCC Align Midsize

4 hours ago, Socrates said:

Glad to hear you are on the mend.  Weather is all screwed up here.  Wild swings in temp (+6 one day and -20 the next).  Called back to work for Mar. 1 which is a month early.  We will see how this pans out.  

BTW, the Shockwave treatments on the shoulder went nowhere.  I did have some high hopes.  Waiting for my GP to set up a cortisone shot for early March.  Looking forward to at least 4-6 months of pain relief and maybe more.

Tks ... slow progress but headed in right direction.

Its unfortunate the S-Wave therapy didn't produce any positive results. I had Cortisone/steroid shots in my lower back L1 etc, got 3 maybe 4 months of relief that was about it.  Now I get 6 PRP shots in the same area every November & April for past 4 years, not cheap $550.00 per visit, insurance doesn't cover it, but it's made a significant difference for me.

The only advise I'll pass along is when the Doc is about to jab you .... don't forget to breath.

Since I'm not golfing I'm selling my old irons & spending money on new clubs, upgraded the Driver to new G430 10K and new G430 Max 3 wood and just ordered new G430 Max 7 wood with Tour 2.0 Chrome 75 Stiff to test and perhaps replace my hybrids.

D.

Ping DLX Cart Bag

8 hours ago, ZipinZ said:

The only advise I'll pass along is when the Doc is about to jab you .... don't forget to breath.

Since I'm not golfing I'm selling my old irons & spending money on new clubs, upgraded the Driver to new G430 10K and new G430 Max 3 wood and just ordered new G430 Max 7 wood with Tour 2.0 Chrome 75 Stiff to test and perhaps replace my hybrids.

D.

Needles don't bother me - fortunately.  Best case scenario - it breaks down the inflammation enough and long enough so I can do the exercises to heal properly.  Worst case - it only lasts 4 months and then we go at it again.

Try not to break the bank on new clubs.  

• Like 1

Vokey SM4 56°, SM4 60°
MCC Align Midsize

• 2 weeks later...

Update: Hurt my back on Feb 11th, tried hitting a few balls on Feb 27th, still in pain, needed more rest.

March 05th, hit 1/2 bucket at range today, still feeling some minor pain just under the right shoulder blade, going to take another 4-5 days off & continue to do my stretching exercises & hot tub. Should be able to play 9 again by next week, that's been about 1 month since this happened.

This injury is taking much longer to heal than hoped.

D. 

Ping DLX Cart Bag

2 hours ago, ZipinZ said:

Update: Hurt my back on Feb 11th, tried hitting a few balls on Feb 27th, still in pain, needed more rest.

March 05th, hit 1/2 bucket at range today, still feeling some minor pain just under the right shoulder blade, going to take another 4-5 days off & continue to do my stretching exercises & hot tub. Should be able to play 9 again by next week, that's been about 1 month since this happened.

This injury is taking much longer to heal than hoped.

D. 

How old are you?  Age plays a huge factor in how fast we heal.  Your body doesn't produce as much healing factors if you're older.  Hgh, igf-1, etc. 

2 hours ago, phizzy30 said:

How old are you?  Age plays a huge factor in how fast we heal.  Your body doesn't produce as much healing factors if you're older.  Hgh, igf-1, etc. 

I'm old ... my first real car was my Zip-in-Z a 1970 Z28 454 Camaro, that was over 50 years ago.

I'm trying to do all the right things including lots of lean protein as well supplements to help mend those pulled perhaps torn lat muscles, its working but never fast enough. I'm hoping another week of rest, stretching & weights will get me back on the course.  

Ping DLX Cart Bag

5 hours ago, st1800e said:

Has anyone suggested dry needling by a physiotherapist?   Works wonders releasing the muscles in spasm.  May solve your problem.  

Tks for suggestion, I've had that procedure before for neck/headaches. My problem needs more R&R with light work outs, its getting better but no where near normal. Dr Ho, my TENS machine helps alot, too.

Ping DLX Cart Bag

Posted (edited)

Final Update: ..... injury happened on Feb 11th, it's been just over 1 month of rest, stretching, mild exercise, hot tub, Tens machine etc including working out with 15 lb kettle bell weight's.

Went to practice range this morning did a good warm up & hit a bucket of balls, no issues with irons felt some minor discomfort after hitting my woods, but nothing significant. Used the driver shaft & grip to massage out the area just under my shoulder blade, it helped.

Packed up and went to putting green to end my practice session. Came back to condo hit the hot tub for 20 ,

minutes, now not feeling any soreness, everything is pretty much back to normal.

It's been 32 days of R&R & rehab in Palm Springs, it's time to get back to Escena and enjoy the golf until we depart on April 05th.

D.

20240118_121419.jpg.ee6c1ddb207a70514199b816c0e64341.jpg

Edited by ZipinZ
  • Like 2

Ping DLX Cart Bag

• ZipinZ changed the title to Latissimus Dorsi Muscle Injury While on a Golf Vacation In Palm Springs - Last Update: Finally able to Golf Again
Just now, ZipinZ said:

Final Update: ..... injury happened on Feb 11th, it's been just over 1 month of rest, stretching, mild exercise, hot tub, Tens machine etc including working out with 15 lb kettle bell weight's.

Went to practice range this morning did a good warm up & hit a bucket of balls, no issues with irons felt some minor discomfort after hitting my woods, but nothing significant. Used the driver shaft & grip to massage out the area just under my shoulder blade, it helped.

Packed up and went to putting green to end my practice session. Came back to condo hit the hot tub for 20 ,

minutes, now not feeling any soreness, everything is pretty much back to normal.

It's been 32 days of R&R & rehab in Palm Springs, it's time to get back to Escena and enjoy the golf until we depart on April 05th.

D.

20240118_121419.jpg.ee6c1ddb207a70514199b816c0e64341.jpg

Love Escena.  Nicklaus course that's just challenging enough without being overly difficult with gorgeous views of the Santa Rosa mountains in the backround.  I envy you, lol.  I'm planning on a trip out to Indio in August for my birthday and can't wait to golf in 100+ degree weather, lol.  Anyways, good to see that you've made a full recovery from your injury. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, phizzy30 said:

Love Escena.  Nicklaus course that's just challenging enough without being overly difficult with gorgeous views of the Santa Rosa mountains in the backround.  I envy you, lol.  I'm planning on a trip out to Indio in August for my birthday and can't wait to golf in 100+ degree weather, lol.  Anyways, good to see that you've made a full recovery from your injury. 

Tks for the positive note, I purchased the Escena short stay 2024 membership, only played 3 rounds there and this happened on #13 that Par 5 were you can see the A/P Tower in distance. I'm hoping the wind calms down over the next few days, it's been crazy, gust 35 up to 40 mph in forecast tomorrow. Fine sand dust is in everything, no fun golfing when you have asthma. It can reach 120F or more here during the summer, that's too smokin hot for me. 

We got lots of rain & some snow in February, I'm sure you will like this pic from Escena.

Cheers

David

Escena.1.jpg.6431b901f3f9d860202c5d506c1ae693.jpg

• Sad 1

Ping DLX Cart Bag

Good for you on the injury front.  Sucks to get older and have stuff take forever to heal.  Hopefully the weather co-operates and you get in 3 weeks of good golf.

• Thanks 1

Vokey SM4 56°, SM4 60°
MCC Align Midsize