2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

longest drive (lets be honest)

Palmer Peerless persimmon driver (it was the late 80's), no wind, high humidity (in Wisconsin), tournament play. Just carded back to back trips after being 2 under after 6 holes. The next hole was 405 yds with a creek 40 yds from the green. My drive hit the creek's bridge on the fly and bounced back to about 310. Basically, I hit it about 360-365 on the fly. Adrenaline from back to back triple bogeys can do wonders sometimes, especially when they wipe out your -2 round.

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe about 5% of the posts in this thread. I play in Ireland and with my range finder I know I can drive the ball 300 max, perfect contact, with hard fairways, level or slightly downhill. Now I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of players I have played with in the 10 years I have played this who have been longer than me.

350 is possible considering the heat and conditions over where you guys play but I have a real hard time believing there are 5 or so people in this thread alone who can knock it beyond that mark.

Taylor Made Sim 9.5 Degree w/ Ventus Black 6X

Taylor Made Sim Ti 3 Wood w/ Diamana Fairway Ltd 75X

Taylor Made UDI #3 w/ Diamana Thump 100X

Titleist T100S 4-PW w/ Project X 6.0

Titleist SM8 50/54/58 x/ Project X 6.0

Evnroll ER2.B

I happy gilmored one friday 315 on the fly. Also happy gilmored one last year 368 total carry and roll (Tucson, AZ, 80*, hard fairways, and 3 Capt&cokes), yes i have witnesses (although they'd had about 6 C&C's at the time LOL). What's really fun is doing it in a tournament on a long par 5 and watching the reactions.

The inevitable doubting thomases have appeared I see.

Tim Petrovic:

Average drive for this season thus far? 279.7 yards.

Longest Drive? 439 yards.

Clearly, he also is making this drive up (presumably with the collusion of the stats people on the tour) since 160 yards more than his average drive simply isn't possible. Ever. No matter what. Even if it was downwind and down the side of a mountain.

People hit long drives chaps - when the conditions set up for it. If you can't hit one a long way, don't arbitrarily accuse people who occasionally can (and have) who you've never met or seen hit a ball of being untruthful just because it doesn't fit into your list of what's possible on a golf course.

It rankles.

There undoubtedly is an element of 'internet massage' in a lot of claims, but any doubts are best left unsaid in my mind.

For the doubting thomases, I have about a 112 mph swing speed and carry a driver about 265 on average. Not 350.

One poster claimed 485 yards.....with alot of wind on a warm day. Unless he was playing at an airport on the runway, he didn't hit 485 yards....not even close to that. The long drive guys who are swinging in the 140's an 150's can even hit it that far. I guess I'm a doubting Thomas. :rolleyes:

Titleist 915D2 9.5* Rogue Black 95MSI 60S
Callaway XHot Pro 15* Project X 6.5
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 2 Iron C-Taper X
Bridgeston J40CB 3-PW Project X 6.0
Ping Anser 54*,60* Project X 6.0
Taylormade Imola 8 35"

Didn't Mr Woods once claim a 500 yarder in Colorado - with a steel shafted Cobra driver?

Nigh on 500 yards is a bit mind-boggling, but I know what I hit because we paced it off. Incidentally, mine was truly a freak - since I haven't got within 70 yards of it on that hole since in a decade or more of trying...

That's Tiger. Nuff said.

Didn't Mr Woods once claim a 500 yarder in Colorado - with a steel shafted Cobra driver?

Nigh on 500 yards is a bit mind-boggling, but I know what I hit because we paced it off. Incidentally, mine was truly a freak - since I haven't got within 70 yards of it on that hole since in a decade or more of trying...

There is your problem, pacing it off. I used to think I hit it outside the pro's when I paced off my drives

Then I got my sky caddie and it was a real eye opener!

Evnroll ER2.B

everyone can hit one pure with perfect conditions if you play enough....and you said best not most common. my most common is 240-260 with roll with driver but my driver sucks lately so I dont hit it right now as everything is hooked or sliced or topped....but one time hit one over 300 on straight fairway that tees up over a marsh on local course this past summer....measured with brothers Skycaddie but that was hot summer hard baked fairway in 90*F temps ...and not done it since. :rolleyes:

now with 3i I have hit some I consider boomers for me....215-230 for 3i and almost 245-50 with 2i once... funniest thing is at Legend Oaks on the back 9 there is a hole with houses and long pond on left and it dog legs right. To the far water hazard at dogleg is 240-245.....and since I never hit a 3i that far...I always go for the shot straight down the fairway.

Twice now my ball has went dead center and bounced and rolled....only to not be found when we get down there with it in hazard as it rolled for miles after landing....LOL Many times I have been told to hit with people ahead of me over 250yds away...and I hold back as there is always that chance I might do everything right one time again. A blind hog finds a nut every now and then afterall...LMAO

Well mines gonna seem short compared to all these bombs you guys have hit, but it was killer for me when i did it! :rolleyes:

I was playing a round with my dad, and he was on the phone when i was teeing off (shame on him, i know!) and i said "hey dad, im bombing this one!" He just laughed and kept talking. I set up and swung as hard as possible. Surprisingly, I crisped it, dead straight. It crested a hill and we found it wayyyy at the bottom. We spotted it somewhere between 295-305 based on the distance of the hole.

does it matter which club you do this drill with? Should you start with wedges until you got it down pat then move up?

In an outing last year (scramble), dead straight away par 5, plate right next to the tee markers said 519. 20 mph tailwind but not downhill. Find my ball a few paces past the 150 marker, laser the flag at 137 (was on the front half), hit a gap wedge stone dead. So I figure it was about 370 ish and it was a good 100 yds. past the best of the rest of the guys in my group. Playing an HX Hot (which I'd never played before). Really left me scratching my head as that would be the longest drive I've ever hit by a good 20 yds. It's kind of fun to be able to tell folks you hit a gap wedge into a 500+ yd. par 5! lol

Some seriously amazing golfers on here if this is true, lol. I expect to see 50% of you at the Long Drive championships next year :rolleyes:

Evnroll ER2.B

Longest Drive:

From Lexington Kentucky straight thru to Daytona Beach Florida back in '79.

Going thru Atlanta at 5pm was murder. :rolleyes:

Ping 410 9.0

Ping g425 14.5 3 wood 

New Level 21* bent to 20* driving iron

Taylormade M4 5 wood
Wilson Staff tour cb 5-7, FG tour v6 8-pw

New Level 902pd 5-pw 105 TT stiff (on their way)
Titleist sm7 50-10 F, 56-10 F, 60-8wedge flex
3 #7 style mallets: Taylormade, Cleveland and Tommy Armour

Longest Drive:

From Lexington Kentucky straight thru to Daytona Beach Florida back in '79.

Going thru Atlanta at 5pm was murder. :rolleyes:

That was longer than my Dayton, Ohio to Panama City Beach, Florida drive in 2003. And you were doing it on older equipment!

Seriously though, I said I hit mine about 330 in my post for my longest. I've hit several 300 yard drives. The 330 just happened to be with no wind and my longest. I got plenty of roll and I think I just hit it at a perfect spot, high side of the fairway where its firm, and it rolled perfectly left from there due to the hookspin on the dog leg left.

I was wildly inconsistent last year, but I did hit some bombs on several occasions. Average problably ended up being 270, give or take some depending on the day, conditions, and most of all, my swing.

downhill, downwind, left a PW into a 548 yard par 5.... damned if I didn't 3 putt the *&^#%@!

Was longest drive hole, let's just say I DIDN'T win..lol

In "normal" conditions, it's hard to say, but I usually catch 1 a round that goes out near 300, but mostly in the 260-270 range. The only reason I know the other distance is that they measured the top 3 from the tournament, and I wasn't 1 or 2. I'm sure there were longer but I was in the fairway...lol

383 is my longest. Downwind about 30-35 mph on a 525 par 5. Hit Gap to 20 feet and easy two putt birdie. The thing is I didn't even really catch that drive either. If I nutted it it would have been over 400.

Going back against that wind that day I hit driver - 3 wood on a couple par 4's. LOL Probably lucky to hit 240 against the wind.

Mine happened in Albuquerque at high altitude, 5000' a couple of years ago. I was using an old Ping Si3 380 10* driver with Graffoly Blue S shaft, and Nike 1 Black ball. Sandia GC #17 539 yard Par 5 (from the Championchip tees) and it is a downhill hole, and down wind a bit that day as well. Fairways were running fast. 395 yards including roll. Hit 9 iron in and pulled it, and then proceeded to 3 put for a lovely par.

PING
G425 LST 10.5* Alta CB Slate 55X

G430 Max 3W/7W Alta CB 2.0 Tour 65S

G410 4H Alta CB Red 70S

Vault Anser 2 Slate

Callaway 

Apex Pro Combo ‘19 5-A Steelfiber i95S

MD4 Raw 54*, 60* Recoil 110S

Titleist

ProV1 (2021) Yellow / White

Some seriously amazing golfers on here if this is true, lol. I expect to see 50% of you at the Long Drive championships next year :rolleyes:

hitting it like that ONCE in your life or a year is one thing...could be anyone almost that has a single long drive while being a mediocre golfer...myself included.....repeating that feat is what the long drivers accomplish.

Skill has nothing to do with bombing it one time by pure luck and alignment of the planets...and this thread was about THE LONGEST not your average drive. LOL

The longest ball I've ever hit in a competition was 402 yards last year at the Remax finals, and other than the grid being a little hard, it was under normal conditions.

The longest I've hit with mother natures help was 460. I hit one that rolled up into the base of the hill that the green is on, and the hole is 470.

i don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet on this thread, but last year the current Remax Long Drive Champion Mike Dobbyn set the world record for the longest ball ever hit in a PGA sanctioned event. He was playing on some mini tour in Vegas and hit one that was measured at 551 yards.