2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

longest drive (lets be honest)

Abour 10 years ago on a 340 Yard Par 4. It was the last hole of a 9 hole match and I'm tied with a buddy of mine. There is a bunker dead center of the fairway with a forced carry of about 260. It's July, the course is hard and fast, and I almost drive this baby once before. I'm up first and I know I can get in his head with a killer shot. I wind up tighter than a two-dollar watch and damn near come out of my shoes on this one. It carries the trap by a mile, dead straight, and rolls all the way to the back of the green! So it went about 360 total. I nearly made the Eagle putt, and tapped in for birdie after my buddy hacked his way out of the ditch on the right side. I won the hole and the match. He was fuming!

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Played a 520-yard dogleg left par 5 last week. Hit a drive over the trees on the left and had 135 to the hole. NO WAY did I hit it 385 yards. Google Earthed it later at home and it was more like 285. Even on straight away holes you can't just subtract the yardage to the green. Most holes aren't as long as they say they are. The only way you can get a true measurement is with a GPS or Google Earth or something like that.

BTW, my longest measured drive was 325 downwind, downhill a little. Verified by Google Earth. tongue.gif

Google earth is great for measuring drives.

I did something similar to you the other day. 520 yd par 5, soft dogley right, hit driver 9 iron pin high. Google earthed it later and my drive went 320 and my 9 iron 158, that leaves 42 yards, if i bunged that onto the drive like most people would then i hit it 362yds, AWESOME!

Is this heavy sarcasm working here with regards to Google-Earth? rolleyes.gif

Not at all. If you didn't know, as some don't, Google Earth has a ruler function up in the toolbar. Set it to yards and you can measure distances. It's pretty accurate according to sprinkler heads at courses I've played. I usually go to it after each round to see where my driving is. Great for testing drivers. You can't trust course yardages as far as subtracting distance to hole from total hole distance. This can be wildly inaccurate, especially on dog-legs. It cracks me up to hear someone say they must've hit it 340 on a bender cuz they only have 100 yards left.

No sarcasm, google earth is as good as anything for measuring driver. I have googled earthed most of the holes on my home course so i know exactly how far it is to certain bunkers etc. I was just pointing out that most peopl would have thought that driver went 360 simply because i had 160 left but in reality it only went 320, which isnt too bad anyway!

I think some people are mistaking feet for yards on this posting. My swing speed tops out at 110 and I have hit quite a few over 300 yards...but the conditions have to be right! My average is 283 with 270 being carry. My numbers (launch/spin) are pretty much ideal with the driver, so either there are a LOT of 120 mph+ swingers on this thread, or there are a LOT of people who are not quite measuring their drives properly. By the way, longest I have ever hit it was 374...downwind, downhill with a Pinnacle in a scramble. Oh yeah, at 4000 foot elevation.

Chris Herrbach

Director of Golf - American Heroes Foundation

WITB:
Driver: Ping G430 LST 
3 Wood: Taylormade SIM Titanium @14.25* 
Hybrid: PING G425
Irons: PING i230 4-PW 
Wedges: GW - PING Glide 3.0 50, SW Mizuno T22 54*, LW Indi TT 60*
Putter: LAB Golf LINK with Stability Tour Black shaft.

I normally hit them around 240-250. Just the other day hit my regular drive flew like normal but got a crazy bounce for an additional 50 yard rollout straight up the edge of the fairway.

This was on a Par 4 345 yard. Second shot was within 50 yards so we all agreed that is was a 300 yarder!

But I am well aware that it was the crazy bounce and 50 yard rollout that did for me!!!

this has got to be the worst topic ever

I want the 5 minutes back I spent reading some of these posts. It is amazing though, we have a lot of future long drive champions on this board. ;)

Ping G400 AD-DI
Ping G425 3 Wood

Adams XTD 3 Hybrid
Srixon ZX7 4-PW
Scratch 53 & 58
Studio Select Kombi

My best is 315. Downhill, 20 mph tailwind and pretty hard fairway. I could see it all the way from the teebox and I counted it rolling a solid 6-7 seconds after it landed. Hit a short pitch shot to 8 feet and 2 putted for par.

I normally average 240-250 carry and roll and 270 when I hit a good one with no wind and flat ground.

this has got to be the worst topic ever

I want the 5 minutes back I spent reading some of these posts. It is amazing though, we have a lot of future long drive champions on this board. ;)

What are talking about? Noone said this is their average or typical good shot. These are the exceptional once a season swings. Everyone is admitting these 300 + drives are on very windy days, down hill, with hard fairways, and a once a season type of thing. It amazes how many people don't believe the posts and write them off. It doesn't take much skill to blast one with exceptional conditions. ESPECIALLy if someone is already looooong.

FWIW I played golf with a highschool on Sunday. He was a big dude who hit his 6i 220 to a slight uphill fairway with no wind. He was looong as h@ll all day, but he had NO control and probably shot in high 90s to low 100s. Distance doesn't matter, strength doesn't matter. Low scoring is what matters, which is waaay more rare out in the real world. I randomly play with people who can hit 280-300 with roll about once everyother month. They're out there in good numbers, but the ones who can score aren't.

Many Byron Putters
Scratch Don Whites
Scratch Jeff McCoys
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/646544-finalists-witb-452013-damascus-byron-scratch-td/page__hl__%20finalist"]WITB Link[/url]

Is this heavy sarcasm working here with regards to Google-Earth? :rolleyes:
Not at all. If you didn't know, as some don't, Google Earth has a ruler function up in the toolbar. Set it to yards and you can measure distances. It's pretty accurate according to sprinkler heads at courses I've played. I usually go to it after each round to see where my driving is. Great for testing drivers. You can't trust course yardages as far as subtracting distance to hole from total hole distance. This can be wildly inaccurate, especially on dog-legs. It cracks me up to hear someone say they must've hit it 340 on a bender cuz they only have 100 yards left.

So Google Earth is that accurate as to account for slopes, declines, inclines, elevated tees/greens and measure to the yard?

Maybe someone should tell the owners of golf-clubs worldwide that their yardage booklets are out-of-date and inaccurate...?

played a 511 yard par 5 yesterday had 168 left to the green, that equals 343yard drive. 18th at Creekside Country club in Nebo, Ga

You would be surprised, i can almost guarantee you didnt hit it 343. I had 158 into a 520yd par 5, gps my drive at 324.

thanks for the dream crushing news, I google earthed the hole to find I hit it 315yards

also found that the 309 yard par 4 uphill I drove was more like 295yards.

but on a postive note one hole that I figured I drove 310 by yardages turned out to be closer to 320 yards.

People do have selective memory. I love long driving, it's one of my best characteristics.

I'll give it to you like this.

Using the formula A² + B² = C², my average drive goes in actuality, about 265 yards. This is with a clubhead speed of around 110 mph.

Now, when calculating driving distance, I feel that the only real measure is a carry only distance, as the roll is where you get the bum luck yardage.

My longest drive on a measured driving range, carried about 320 yards (I'm even being somewhat conservative). This is a huge drive, even for me, who breaks 300 yards often (when considering roll).

Those of you who hit these 420 yard drives are either lying, or you hit something hard on the ground, which gave you a huge boost. And your yardages are probably innacurate. The longest drive ever recorded on the PGA tour was about 515 yards, and it was with a persimmon driver. The reason for the distance was that it hit a hard surface, and bounced onto a downslope, then rolled. The carry of this drive was still long, over 300 yards.

Persimmon clubs do hit the ball farther than titanium or steel with the same clubhead speed, however. Iron Byron shows about 10 yards more with a persimmon wood.

Google Earth is cool.

Ok , so yeah this is the stupidest thread ever so . . .

Here's mine , thanks to Google Earth :

Looks like my longest measured total drive is . . . about 1300 yards. :)

Par 5 , local course. I hit a hard high gentle draw , only without the draw. Hole happens to run parallel to a 4 lane street. Found the ball couple hours later when we were leaving and it was in the catch drain at the entrance of the course.

So boo.

:D

XRP 8.5* XS
XRP #3 XS
Cally Apex MB 3i-9i PX 7.0
Cally MD3 52*/56*/60*
Scotty Studio Select Custom

Google Earth is cool.

Ok , so yeah this is the stupidest thread ever so . . .

Here's mine , thanks to Google Earth :

Looks like my longest measured total drive is . . . about 1300 yards. :)

Par 5 , local course. I hit a hard high gentle draw , only without the draw. Hole happens to run parallel to a 4 lane street. Found the ball couple hours later when we were leaving and it was in the catch drain at the entrance of the course.

So boo.

:D

Too bad you probably played a provisional. Doesn't count! ;)

273 yards, it was on a hot July day, ground was freakin' baked to the point of hardpan. Down wind, slightly downhill, actually rolled onto the green (it was a very short par 4). The group on the green were all larger than I was/am and I was a bit trepidatious about how I was going to explain my 'hitting into' their group on the green.

The good news is they were laughing about the shot when I walked up. "Wanna hit mine on the next hole?", one of them asked.

Never hit one that far again, not for lack of trying mind you...

Yes, google earth is that accurate, uphill/downhill slopes dont affect the 'as the crow flies' distance. Its a MUCH more accurate way of measuring shots rather than the 'well this hole is 400 and i have about 100 left therefore i hit it 300' tactic most ppl use.
Yep - I downloaed it and indeed it matches what's on my yardage booklets!!