2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

longest drive (lets be honest)

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Google Earth is cool.

Ok , so yeah this is the stupidest thread ever so . . .

Here's mine , thanks to Google Earth :

Looks like my longest measured total drive is . . . about 1300 yards. :)

Par 5 , local course. I hit a hard high gentle draw , only without the draw. Hole happens to run parallel to a 4 lane street. Found the ball couple hours later when we were leaving and it was in the catch drain at the entrance of the course.

So boo.

:D

Too bad you probably played a provisional. Doesn't count! ;)

Well it wasn't in the fairway but it WAS in the right of way. ;)

XRP 8.5* XS
XRP #3 XS
Cally Apex MB 3i-9i PX 7.0
Cally MD3 52*/56*/60*
Scotty Studio Select Custom

Just hit my longest drive last week. MAJOR down hill, STIFF wind at my back, 386 yds. Verified by Skycaddie and witnessed by my buddy. I hit it pure, fairway runs from right to left and hit a perfect draw, landed like a scoulded dog and ran for ever. Par 5 and yes I birdied it, Missed my eagle by a few inches. My usual drives are around 250 to around 280.

280 carry with a slight fade last season seemed to be my optimal best with a 45-in. 9.5 deg. stick. No wind. I've hit longer drives on occasion, but I'm not one to think much about it.

The approach shots are more important. If I know I hit a 9 iron 135 with a small draw or 125 with a little cut, I don't want to hit it any longer than those distances.

Bubba Watson has won how many times on tour now?

Angel Park Golf Club, Palms course, 15th hole par 4 339yards. Slightly down hill, slopes more the last 50 yards or so. Group was on the green but I normally only carry 260, so I hit it. Well, caught the down slope on the way down, took one huge bounce on the fairway and popped on the green about 4 yards past the pin. 2 putt bird, and the group on the green wasn't mad, in fact, they shook my hand.

Bubba Watson? What about John Daly, J.B. Holmes, Ernie Els? How many times have they won?
Daly doesn't have a game anymore. Holmes is not exactly making an indelible footprint on tour. And Ernie Els has a complete game. If you want to consider a bomber with a better record and a more readily available game, today, look at Phil Mickelson. My point would be that aside from Mickelson (or Tiger Woods, who can also hit some bombs), I wouldn't wager any money on someone like Bubba Watson. I'd like to see him win something, sure, but he's got to have something more than a thunderclap driver shot to do it.

Most golfers would card better scores if they locked their drivers in the closet and played off the tee with three woods. I probably hit my driver four to five times only during a typical round on a pretty long course. I know that keeps my scores lower. I recently cut my 45-inch stick down to 44 inches, so when I do hit the big dog, I'm shorter but much more accurate.

Longest probaby was at the 16th at Firestone about 5-6 years ago, it must have gone at least 450 yards. Of course it hit the cart path, going down hill. :D I did something similar on a average par 4 once, dead straight hole, 400+, I was pin high off the tee after hitting the cart path 2 times IIRC.

Longest "non cart path drive" was a couple of years ago in the spring in New Mexico. Downwind, firm fairways, 7000 ft. elevation, hit one 380+.

Longest real drive maybe 325+ with some roll. I won a long drive contest at the North and South Jr. 30 years ago, hit one 307 with a bit of a breeze at my back, I've always been sort of long. Today, a good long drive for me is anything past 275 I would guess. Thank God for the new technology......

WITB
TaylorMade Qi10 9.0 Tensei AV Limited Black 65 S 

TaylorMade Qi10 Tour 3 and 5 wood, Tensei AV Limited Blue 75

Matlby TS3 4-5, Matlby TS4 6-GW, Recoil Dart V 105 F4

RTX Zipcore  Tour Rack 54, 60

Spider Tour X L-Neck 35

Srixon-Z Star XV

had one today... strange one!!!

hit a drive and all i saw was a crazy kick at the end as the ball disappeared around the slight dog leg right. there was some water there as i remembered having played this course only twice in 10 years.

So i hit another... but went looking... never found my ball so i hit my provisional. However there was a ball on the green about 5 ft from the hole. I had remembered that people slice that way from the par 4 behind it so hey someone will come collecting...

went on with my efforts to save double with my lost ball. chipped around... still no one picking up the ball. I realized that the course behind us was basically empty because getting late and this hole 16 backed onto the fifth hole, and no one was on the front nine.

i holed out... still with this ball sitting there. I checked it, it was a nike. Like the one i'd been hitting but still had no concept that this could be my ball.

We were playing the back tees. 365 yard hole. Only after i picked it up did i realize it was my ball. I never even putted it... i was so fixated on scrambling...

I walked away from a 6 ft eagle put!?!?! strange

I do hit betwee 280 and 315 fairly regularly with a swing speed that can get into the low 120's so it isn't without possibility. I think i must have hit a cart path though as it is really soft this time of year

I was playing a little less than a year ago, and I hit a 3 iron about 180 yards. Well, the thing lands dead center on one of those little pyramid shaped concrete things. This thing just happened to be almost perfectly square to the angle of impact, so the ball shot straight up into the air! It must have gone 200 feet in the air, I've never seen a ball go so high. The damn thing lands in the fairway too.

A couple weeks ago I went to the Haggin Oaks golf expo picked up a Nike SQ Sumo2 Tour 8.5, cause I had been playing a 10.5, and well, I'm 6'5 240 and when I get my swing straightened out I can swing it 105mph without overswinging. I'm still trying to get my swing all figured out, but every once in a while I can really connect. But anyway, I go out to Diamond Oaks out here later in the day with my father in law, cousin, and a buddy, step up to the first tee, 347 yards, and then proceed to hit the best drive i've ever hit in my life. And it had been raining that day too, we ended up getting driven off by lightning at the 10th hole. All i know is that the hole is about ten feet uphill, and when I go out to find my ball, I'm sitting at most about 35 yards from the center of the green ( about 10 yards into the rough, but still). Pitch onto the green and then three putt for bogey. So I'm claiming 300.

Then yesterday I managed to hit a crappy drive, hit a provisional, and find both balls, 6 inches apart when I go to find them.

yesterday, It was cold and rainy, and I only hit this drive maybe 270ish, but it HAD to of been the best looking Drive Ive hit... I hit it Dead straight right down the Fairway, and I ususally hit a high ball, but for the first 150 yds it stays maybe 30-40 feet off the ground, then zoom it rises up and just hit the dead center of the fairway... not sure how I hit that drive with the flight of the ball like that, but it was sweet..!

This past thur. on a par 5 525 yard dog leg left, i hit it over the 150 marker, through the fairway and over the trees into the next fair way for a grand total of 425 yards. even though not in the right fairway still won the long drive contest because it was in a fairway. they must have let the rules slide this time i guest.

How nice of that league allowing you to win the long drive contest as a guest.

• 3 weeks later...