Tour Professionals stretching

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since you started a stretching thread---even if in jest, I heard some stuff on stretching that might be of interest to some.

The Houston Texans strength coach was on the radio in Houston this past week.

On the subject of stretching, he had the following comments:

(1) "There is no relationship between stretching and injury prevention. Many studies have been done and there's no relationship. The Houston Texans don't stretch before games."

(2) "Stretching is only a flexibility/performance enhancing exercise."

(3) "Stretching is far more effective if performed when the body is warmed up---nearly hot."

(4) "Maximum effective stretching is accomplished by holding each stretch for 30 seconds."

(5) "Repeating a stretch during the same session yields no greater flexibility than a single repetition held for 30 seconds."

(6) "There is no need to stretch after working with weights. You are more flexible after a weight work out than at any other time."

Texsport

Mizuno GT180 10.5*/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 5 X
Tour Edge Exotics CB F2 PRO 15.5* Limited/Speeder 757 EVO 7.1X (Gene Sauers club)
Titleist 915 18*/Fubuki K 80X
Titleist 913 Hybrid 21*/Tour Blue 105X (Matt Jones' club) (OR) TM Burner 4-iron/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Wilson Staff V4 5 and 6/Aerotech Fibersteel 110 S
MacGregor PRO M 7-PM/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
Scratch JMO Grind Don White 56*/DG X-100
Cobra Trusty Rusty Tour 64*/DG S-200
The Cure CX2 putter

Since you started a stretching thread---even if in jest, I heard some stuff on stretching that might be of interest to some.

(1) "There is no relationship between stretching and injury prevention. Many studies have been done and there's no relationship. The Houston Texans don't stretch before games."

(3) "Stretching is far more effective if performed when the body is warmed up---nearly hot."

(4) "Maximum effective stretching is accomplished by holding each stretch for 30 seconds."

(5) "Repeating a stretch during the same session yields no greater flexibility than a single repetition held for 30 seconds."

(6) "There is no need to stretch after working with weights. You are more flexible after a weight work out than at any other time."

Texsport

Soooooooooo............

Now it appears we know why the Texans stink!!

Texans do not stretch! And stretching is a performance enhancing exercise!

Seems like maybe the teams that stretch have had better performances on Sunday!

Stretching loosens up your swing. Is that not evident?

I don't know what you guys stretch (maybe your arms and trunk rotation), but I stretch everything.

ankles, calves, inner thighs, hammies, quads, hip flexors, trunk rotation/bends, arms, back, baseball arm streches, wrists, neck, fingers.

You know what's a good stretch. It's where you put your arms in an "L" position, like when you're about to perform a military press, and shake em back and forth. Pitchers do this often.

Texsport

"There is no relationship between stretching and injury prevention. Many studies have been done and there's no relationship. The Houston Texans don't stretch before games."

Reseach in this area is "poor" at best. Since we cannot "ethically" take two groups, submit one to stretching, the other not...then try to injury them and see who fares best! :rolleyes:

To add it also depends on what consitutes and injury....a slight tiny, tiny, soreness/pull or a full blown tear? As well as sport risk. I can tell you that in Bull Riding...NO preventative measure can be clinically proven. The risks associated with that sport is SO great that stretching/no stretching...it ain't gonna matter.

"Stretching is only a flexibility/performance enhancing exercise."

Mostly true, but depends on how one defines the parameters.

"Stretching is far more effective if performed when the body is warmed up---nearly hot."

Partly true...but the body only needs to raise core temp. 1-2*C. Usually equivalant to a small bead of sweat beginning to develop on your forehead. not "nearly hot."

"Maximum effective stretching is accomplished by holding each stretch for 30 seconds."

For a STATIC stretch. However I don't know many/any sports that involve static movement.

The trend is toward DYNAMIC stretching before competition as it is more effective than STATIC proir to competition. Actually there are numerous studies that suggest static stretching IMPAIRS performance prior to competition in many sports.

"Repeating a stretch during the same session yields no greater flexibility than a single repetition held for 30 seconds."

Haven't seen any studies regarding this....I have a hard time buying this one.

"There is no need to stretch after working with weights. You are more flexible after a weight work out than at any other time."

Debatable....depends on your point of view.

No stretching group mentions possible tearing of muscle fibers (specifically the Z-Disks between fibers) with post weight workout stretching. Which may lead to an increase in delayed onset muscle soreness.

The stretching group will say z-disk disruption is minimal at worst, and has no effect. And uses the addage that the BEST time to stretch is when the body is most flexible...that way one gets the most from the effect.

No different than those of us that feel the best time to hit the driving range is when the swing is feeling really good (solidifies good swing habits).....not just when something is off.

I know for myself my best putting sessions are when I'm putting well! Making a lot of putts in practice can never be a bad thing!

;)

Callaway GBB Epic 9* w/ Ahina 70x
Taylormade SIM Ti 15* w/ Ahina 80x

Srixon Z U85 18* Driving Iron w/ Ahina 80x
Callaway XHot Pro Hybrid w/ Ahina 80x
Mizuno MP60 3-PW w/ DG X100
Odyssey Black Series i #2
Mizuno MP-T4 52*, 60*, Vokey 64*

Texsport

Soooooooooo............

Now it appears we know why the Texans stink!!

Texans do not stretch! And stretching is a performance enhancing exercise!

Seems like maybe the teams that stretch have had better performances on Sunday!

Soooooo

Great observations! Please name all the teams who you personally have observed stretching and please correlate their win-loss records to their pre-game activities. Thanks.

It's nice that we have posters on here who know more than the professionals. Thanks again!

It seems that the Texans' conditioning coach has been in the NFL for 25 years. His tenure includes being the trainer for teams which have won multiple NFL and Super Bowl Championships. What the H--- does he know? Live and learn!

I don't call a young team with an 8-8 record stinkers BTW! They do play in a division with the Colts, the titans(with the adored Vince Young), and the Jaguars.

What was the Giants record the year before they won the Super Bowl again?

Texsport

Tour Edge Exotics CB F2 PRO 15.5* Limited/Speeder 757 EVO 7.1X (Gene Sauers club)
Titleist 913 Hybrid 21*/Tour Blue 105X (Matt Jones' club) (OR) TM Burner 4-iron/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
The Cure CX2 putter

Texsport

"There is no relationship between stretching and injury prevention. Many studies have been done and there's no relationship. The Houston Texans don't stretch before games."

Reseach in this area is "poor" at best. Since we cannot "ethically" take two groups, submit one to stretching, the other not...then try to injury them and see who fares best! :rolleyes:

To add it also depends on what consitutes and injury....a slight tiny, tiny, soreness/pull or a full blown tear? As well as sport risk. I can tell you that in Bull Riding...NO preventative measure can be clinically proven. The risks associated with that sport is SO great that stretching/no stretching...it ain't gonna matter.

"Stretching is only a flexibility/performance enhancing exercise."

Mostly true, but depends on how one defines the parameters.

"Stretching is far more effective if performed when the body is warmed up---nearly hot."

Partly true...but the body only needs to raise core temp. 1-2*C. Usually equivalant to a small bead of sweat beginning to develop on your forehead. not "nearly hot."

"Maximum effective stretching is accomplished by holding each stretch for 30 seconds."

For a STATIC stretch. However I don't know many/any sports that involve static movement.

The trend is toward DYNAMIC stretching before competition as it is more effective than STATIC proir to competition. Actually there are numerous studies that suggest static stretching IMPAIRS performance prior to competition in many sports.

"Repeating a stretch during the same session yields no greater flexibility than a single repetition held for 30 seconds."

Haven't seen any studies regarding this....I have a hard time buying this one.

"There is no need to stretch after working with weights. You are more flexible after a weight work out than at any other time."

No stretching group mentions possible tearing of muscle fibers (specifically the Z-Disks between fibers) with post weight workout stretching. Which may lead to an increase in delayed onset muscle soreness.

The stretching group will say z-disk disruption is minimal at worst, and has no effect. And uses the addage that the BEST time to stretch is when the body is most flexible...that way one gets the most from the effect.

No different than those of us that feel the best time to hit the driving range is when the swing is feeling really good (solidifies good swing habits).....not just when something is off.

I know for myself my best putting sessions are when I'm putting well! Making a lot of putts in practice can never be a bad thing!

;)

Everyone can be a self proclaimed expert, but I'll take my advice from this guy---with NFL proven credentials!

http://www.sportsradio610.com/pages/151364.php?

Texsport

Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
The Cure CX2 putter

Stretching loosens up your swing. Is that not evident?

I don't know what you guys stretch (maybe your arms and trunk rotation), but I stretch everything.

ankles, calves, inner thighs, hammies, quads, hip flexors, trunk rotation/bends, arms, back, baseball arm streches, wrists, neck, fingers.

You know what's a good stretch. It's where you put your arms in an "L" position, like when you're about to perform a military press, and shake em back and forth. Pitchers do this often.

Well, when I just walk out on to the range to hit balls, I sometimes stretch too----but as a form of warm up.

Aren't you just using this stretching routine to warm up?

What else do you do to warm up? If that's all you do, well, there has to be some benefit.

Wouldn't, say, jumping jacks work just as well as stretching---maybe better---'cause you'd be including some dynamic movement also?

Texsport

Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
The Cure CX2 putter

Looks like someone lost their sense of humor while not stretching. Kidding!!!!!!!!!!!

Do you also happen to know that during Mr. Rileys tenure in Washington that they did not stretch before play? Or could this possibly be new information or thought process?

As for the Texans, they have over half of their roster with 5 years experience or more. I do not know exactly what the average age is in the league, but in the free agency era they have as good a chance as anyone else to win on a regular basis.

If we were talking the first couple of years of the franchise I would think differently, but they have had what were considered to good season in the past with 7 wins and such and then won fewer the year after.

And to be honest, I was only poking fun at the Texans. Not that I should because my hometown team is the laughing stock of the league.

The key part is that I laugh along with everyone else at how poor they are.

Everyone can be a self proclaimed expert, but I'll take my advice from this guy---with NFL proven credentials!

Texsport

I don't question his resume, but what is the correlation between training for football and training for golf? :rolleyes:

Titleist TSR3, w/Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue with Xlink Tech 65
Titleist 915Fd, w/Aldila Rogue Black 80-2.8-S
19* TSR3 Hybrid, w/Fujikura Atmos HB Tour Spec Blue 85

24* TSR3 Hybrid, w/Fujikura Atmos HB Tour Spec Blue 85
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 6-P, w/UST Recoil 95 F4
Callaway 52* MD5 JAWS S Grind
Callaway 58* PM Grind 19
T.P. Mills Professional Series Klassic/Odyssey O Works Tank #7

Stretching is overrated at times. Andre Agassi(career grand slam) never stretched before a match and his sport is a lot more physically demanding than golf. Now if you are 60 years old, a stretching program would probably help your golf game considerably. But I doubt it would do much for a younger player. I remember Butch Harmon talking about how when he started working with Tiger he was too flexible. He mentioned that he worked with him to tighten him up in certain areas. Same thing with Natalie Gulbis. She is so flexible that she turns too much and results in a huge across the line backswing.

Also for the poster that said that its necessary to stretch after lifting weights because the muscles are contracted, thats ridiculous. It takes energy to contract and hold a muscle in that condition. When you are warmed up and lifting weights, you are stretched out. So when you release the contraction(i.e. put the weight down) the muscle wants to let go(stretch back out/uncontract) as much as it can. No extra stretching is necessary.

Texsport

I don't question his resume, but what is the correlation between training for football and training for golf? :rolleyes:

Lets see---maybe--just maybe----strength, speed, balance,endurance, ;) etc.

:D

Texsport

Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
The Cure CX2 putter

Looks like someone lost their sense of humor while not stretching. Kidding!!!!!!!!!!!

Do you also happen to know that during Mr. Rileys tenure in Washington that they did not stretch before play? Or could this possibly be new information or thought process?

As for the Texans, they have over half of their roster with 5 years experience or more. I do not know exactly what the average age is in the league, but in the free agency era they have as good a chance as anyone else to win on a regular basis.

If we were talking the first couple of years of the franchise I would think differently, but they have had what were considered to good season in the past with 7 wins and such and then won fewer the year after.

And to be honest, I was only poking fun at the Texans. Not that I should because my hometown team is the laughing stock of the league.

The key part is that I laugh along with everyone else at how poor they are.

Guilty as charged man. Personality defect as in --grumpy old man! :rolleyes:

I don't give a flip about the Texans---turn down tickets all the time---rather watch on my big screen at home----if golf's not on!

The first 3 years of the Texans were a complete waste. Got some veterans in the expansion draft and then drafted players, only 3 of which are still on the team. David Carr, who I think is actually way more talented than any QB coming out this year, got whatever he had beat out of him by 250+ sacks. It's no wonder he's a click slow in regognizing defenses. he developeed a conditioned 1st response to check where the D-linmen were before he looked down field.

Gary Kubiak is doing a good job now and I think they'll have a winning record next year---maybe even make the playoffs.

Texsport

Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
The Cure CX2 putter

Here is a quote from this article "One of the best times to stretch is right after a strength workout such as weightlifting. Static stretching of fatigued muscles (see section Static Stretching) performed immediately following the exercise(s) that caused the fatigue, helps not only to increase flexibility, but also enhances the promotion of muscular development (muscle growth), and will actually help decrease the level of post-exercise soreness. Here's why"

Taken from Here

Texsport

Lets see---maybe--just maybe----strength, speed, balance,endurance, ;) etc.

:D

Texsport

Hmmm...that wasn't nice. I only ask because there are obvious differences in training methods and goals with respect to different sports. For example, marathoners train differently than, say, power lifers. Archers train differently than curlers. I would guess NFL linemen probably train differently than wide receivers. Different body types, different objectives, different techniques. I would then logically guess that golfers train differently than footballers.

:rofl:

Titleist TSR3, w/Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue with Xlink Tech 65
Titleist 915Fd, w/Aldila Rogue Black 80-2.8-S
19* TSR3 Hybrid, w/Fujikura Atmos HB Tour Spec Blue 85

24* TSR3 Hybrid, w/Fujikura Atmos HB Tour Spec Blue 85
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 6-P, w/UST Recoil 95 F4
Callaway 52* MD5 JAWS S Grind
Callaway 58* PM Grind 19
T.P. Mills Professional Series Klassic/Odyssey O Works Tank #7

""There is no need to stretch after working with weights. You are more flexible after a weight work out than at any other time."

I know for myself my best putting sessions are when I'm putting well! Making a lot of putts in practice can never be a bad thing!"

From years of experience with this one, I have no problem stretching after a high rep workout. But I will NOT stretch after a strength or mass (lower rep) gain workout. Doing so can cause further muscle tears. I notice either DOMS, longer recovery time required, or being weaker on the next workout (or a combination).

So for those doing what many express as the proper golf workout (high reps = 10-12 or more per set), stretching afterwards should be fine.

Those building strength or mass (low reps = up to 8 per set) avoiding stretching could be very beneficial.

I think everyone should do exactly what they think is best for them!

Out!

Texsport

Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
The Cure CX2 putter

Texsport

Yeah you're right, I'm a "self-proclaimed expert".

If you do a search, you can see I've commented on this topic many times, and do have the credentials to back it up.

But what do I know, I only have experience working with Olympic/International athletes (Gymnastics/Track) being the most notable.

But I suppose the guy who's just posted the fastest 400m time in the world this year just works with "self-proclaimed experts".

:rolleyes:

Callaway GBB Epic 9* w/ Ahina 70x
Taylormade SIM Ti 15* w/ Ahina 80x

Srixon Z U85 18* Driving Iron w/ Ahina 80x
Callaway XHot Pro Hybrid w/ Ahina 80x
Mizuno MP60 3-PW w/ DG X100
Odyssey Black Series i #2
Mizuno MP-T4 52*, 60*, Vokey 64*

This is an interesting thread with some good points. I absolutely love hearing concepts/theories that challenge the norm. For example, I used to stretch out before exercising until I understood that doing so could actually help increase the chances for injury during a work-out.

Personally, I do stretch after ever workout on the muscle groups. I found through personal experience that I recover faster with greater range of overall motion (flexibilty) by completing reasonable static stretches.

BTW - I know it's easy to listen to someone who has "creditals", but I wouldn't write off other people's perspective or take something as gospel for everyone to follow. hbear has a lot knowledge and experience in fitness and strength development (based on some discussions). He always offers objective, data-driven repsonses.

Listening to one expert or another can often resulting in differing opinions and confusion. As has been stated, you should see what makes sense and do what gives you the best results. Kind of apples to oranges, but blindly listening to one expert led many to misinterpret Atkins and take an extreme diet with the complete explusion of carbs. Sure it gave some results, but could also have some unexpected/undesireable results. Seek out what makes sense and provides the optimum results for you...

I know I'm not more flexible after I work out........

Someone convinced me to not stretch so much before I play (just make smooth practice swings to loosen up).........I tried it............and I think it had a part in my shoulder/neck injury. I am not 100% sure.......but I am back to pre-round stretching and it feels better.

Be careful with your body........that's all I can say.

I like to drink scotch to warm up...instead of stretching.

Tim

LOL....post of the day!

Of course Agassi doesn't stretch before playing. Most tennis players don't. But they do warm up slowly hitting small shots then increasingly longer, more powerful shots before practicing serves. And you see them bouncing, leaning, twisting while waiting for balls to get retrieved or come their way during warm up. So why waste time stretching first? It's incorporated in their warmup.

Texsport

Yeah you're right, I'm a "self-proclaimed expert".

If you do a search, you can see I've commented on this topic many times, and do have the credentials to back it up.

But what do I know, I only have experience working with Olympic/International athletes (Gymnastics/Track) being the most notable.

But I suppose the guy who's just posted the fastest 400m time in the world this year just works with "self-proclaimed experts".

;)

LOL that was about the best possible comeback.

To say that you believe him because he has credentials isn't saying much, those people who always diss leadbetter and flick etc have some serious credentials, but does that mean that they are always right?

Funny, there is an article in the NY Times today called "To Stretch or Not to Stretch? The Answer is Elastic"

The bottom line of the article is that the research on stretching is inconclusive. From the article: "There is an official government review by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention published in the 2004 journal Medicine & Science in Sports 7 Exercise. Its conclusion is that the research to date is inadequate to answer most stretching questions."

Lots of the reports came to the conclusion that stretching wasn't enough to prevent injury but they did find that when stretching did help, it was preceded by warm-ups.

For my clients, I always recommend the foam roll first to help release trigger points and to make any dynamic stretching that they will do more effective. After that I work on mobility (by mobility, I mean what is happening at the joints-ankle, hip, thoracic spine), then some core/activation work. Most of the time, this is enough of a warm up to get into it and although it might sound like a lot, it can be done in 10 minutes.

As for pre-round, it just makes sense for me to get my body into the positions it will be in during the golf swing by using a dynamic stretching/warm-up routine.

I bolded "makes sense for me" because I think we forget that everyone is different and there is never a one-size-fits-all approach.

Do what you are comfortable with, that's what is going to set you up for a great round.

Plain and Simple.

Stretching is good for the body before and after any athletic performance.

A prepared and warmed up body reacts, faster, stronger, and harnesses more stamina and elasticity.

If injured, a prepared and athletically fit body heels faster, better, stronger, and is less prone to severe or repeat injury.

Stretching is a choice and a simple way of getting what you want out of your intended movement. It is neither overrated nor unnecessary and many generations before us have proven that is has merit and the body benefits greatly.

I don't care what 1 trainer from the NFL says about stretching, there are hundreds of thousands of trainers in other arenas of sport Amateur to Pro that say otherwise and I will absolutely listen to the majority.

Callaway XR Pro 9* Mitsubishi Fubuki zt 70x tipped .5"
Callaway XR Pro 14* Mitsubishi Fubuki z-fw 85x
Mizuno MP- 33 3-pw KBS-Tour x stepped x 2
Nike VR Forged 52*,56*,60*
Mizuno Bettinardi C-03 Blade @ 33"
Titleist Prov1x