My DC Area Course Rankings (Pics Added)

kiawah

I've played just about all of the private golf courses in the DC area at this point and wanted to come up with a ranking based on the courses, practice facilities, clubhouse, and overall vibes. Would love to hear others' thoughts or opinions. Let me know if I missed any obvious ones. I could probably find pics of just about all of these tracks if I tried, so I might come back and do that later. Here is my list:

1.) Congressional (Blue) 

Relatively self-explanatory. Andrew Green's redesigned Blue course is far and away the #1 on the list. With the trees taken out, the sightlines to the world-class clubhouse are terrific on both nines. Conditions have been immaculate in the rounds I have played there in season. My favorite hole is the driveable 8th or the new look par 3 10th. The short game areas are great (I think they have at least three putting greens now) and the range is very nice. 
image.jpeg.23f5317ed7bffe9ad9a0a8453a09b0e9.jpeg

10 and 18 at the new Congressional Blue course

65092935539__24429FE3-F83F-42C7-A5C7-DF669AF7B062.jpeg.20bf10ea4af7b8d960b5aeb816b7dcc4.jpeg

Zoom in to see my tee ball on the new drivable 8th. Snuck in a four footer for three!

65093461247__9DDC3DEB-E4FF-4608-9C42-39CA2A48338C.jpeg.2b780e341c3a550dcd9d1db3e6f8be70.jpeg

A view like this speaks for itself. 
IMG_3422.jpeg.4e2e891bdb1ea3c560050ad9ba4a2126.jpeg

I absolutely love what Andrew Green has done with the tee boxes. 

2.) Burning Tree

Also relatively self-explanatory. The golf course is in immaculate shape, the pace of play is amazing, and the locker room is very memorable with all of the old-school metal lockers and flags hanging from the ceiling. The layout is unique but not overly difficult compared to the likes of TPC Potomac and Congressional. It is probably old-fashioned to a fault with its restrictive membership conditions, but it is still hard for me to rate it any lower.

IMG_1102.jpeg.f71d6c8831bb3a46e67ff7f07066d31f.jpeg

My only photo from BT (they aren’t big on phones). You can still get a good sense of the conditions. Just mint. Bonus points for awesome tee markers. 

3.) RTJ

The views of Lake Manassas are unbelievable, and the course itself is a fun test of golf that I've never seen in bad condition. The short game facility is the best around. I almost have a hard time calling it a short game facility, considering you could probably hit 200-yard shots from one end to the other if you wanted to. All in all, it's a great golf course that I wish I could play more often. The par 3s and par 5s are all terrific.

IMG_1106.jpeg.1e9ef186b0fc5d3c66f38ea176433dd5.jpeg

The view from the putting green at RTJ. 

IMG_1114.jpeg.ca66359c427c5cf6c50b68d9ffc40ca1.jpeg
IMG_1115.jpeg.855fb36e4cc5e4861b4fda0e2f8afac8.jpeg
I literally couldn’t fit the whole wedge range at RTJ in one photo. Left half is the top photo and right half is the bottom.

Somehow cut out the big bunker in the very center.
IMG_1110.jpeg.552a9bb712dc25085079b4af02584d34.jpeg

The driving range at RTJ

IMG_1109.jpeg.9826c54e3ee2c6ec0ff650bd3583a198.jpeg

A pic of the 9th green at RTJ (that does it no justice. Think Rickie made an ace here)

4.) Chevy Chase Club

The addition of the indoor hitting facilities prompted me to put Chevy at 4. It's a really intriguing layout with a lot of variance between holes. It can really play tough when the greens are rolling. The view of the smokestack-like tower and the ice rink up the 18th fairway is also very cool. Chevy has some of the best par 3s anywhere around, with a pair of great par 5s as well.

IMG_1103.jpeg.907897ed2aee3e119460893723aae2fa.jpeg

CCC is a great track, even in the dead of winter.

IMG_1104.jpeg.ad9b948dd28bb84a042b81b8fa51267a.jpeg

The par three 4th at Chevy. So difficult to get the yardage correct!

5.) Washington Golf and Country Club 

Probably my hottest take. For my money, WGCC is easily the most underrated course in the area. Prior to the renovation, many of the holes were not particularly exciting/well-conditioned. With the addition of the short par-3 6th (plays between 95 and 140 yards depending on tees), the new look par-5 10th, the beastly par 4 15th, and the new tee box on 13, which frames the hole with a perfect view of the National Cathedral, it is one of the more picturesque golf courses in the area and to me it is the most fun to play by far. The new Doak-designed greens have lots of slopes and tiers but aren't excessive or tricked out. Although it is around 6,400 yards, it plays a ton longer with lots of uphill tee shots and semi-blind approaches. Outside of the tee boxes, there won’t be a single flat lie all round. It also plays really tough when the greens get going. The new halfway house is essentially a second clubhouse with indoor simulators, two indoor greens, and a full-service restaurant and bar. The lack of a grass range is a bit of a killer, but all of the hitting bays have toptracer launch monitors, which makes up for it a bit. It's probably the second-best clubhouse behind Congressional, with some of the best panoramic views of DC in Arlington. The vibe on the 18th hole is second to none as dozens of members are watching you play up from the patio while eating dinner in the summertime, oftentimes betting on who's going to make their putt. If you haven't played there since the renovation, it's night and day. Pre-renovation, I wouldn't have put it in the top 15. 
IMG_3322.jpeg.954c8bcd7c21f1181c00c7b052b5e0f4.jpeg

The ninth at WGCC. That’s the halfway house and driving range on the left. 
F27C41D0-45F9-40CA-B723-AAEC7B979493.jpeg.e01412c917769a520788234637215747.jpeg

The ninth from the halfway house 

IMG_1118.jpeg.bdeecfeaf63ff823fa883d92c9dd6a2e.jpeg

One of many false fronts at WGCC at the par 4 fifth.

IMG_1120.jpeg.4620f41664094c912ace97136295fd0f.jpeg

The short par 3 6th. Don’t miss long. Or short. Or left. Or right. 

AD55EFAB-F765-477A-9C45-DAF9642B2C9E.jpeg.21f3846fab1df54721bbc83df4049993.jpeg

The par 4 8th

IMG_1111.jpeg.fdd11ae0a856435dc71981728cceb0c2.jpeg
The par 4 13th

IMG_1119.jpeg.2c732606e61e0bd3afaab95248717ee7.jpeg

The gentle dog leg right 16th. Those fairway bunkers are not fun. 

5F593BED-70A5-4D60-A820-9FC6CB210CAF.jpeg.ab9a94ce83fcf795f525afb955db8251.jpeg

The approach into the par 4 17th. The back left pin position is lethal.

IMG_6402.jpeg.4ccf2853a5af4bd11dd6ad9fb229e423.jpeg

The approach into the 18th with 1 tee and the pro shop on the right. 

6.) TPC Potomac

All around, the best practice facilities with multiple expansive short game areas, putting greens, and a terrific grass range complete with target greens that resemble those on the course. and a very nice (and very tough) golf course. The back-to-back short par 4s on the closing nine present a lot of fun shots once you're done getting manhandled by holes 11 and 12. I would rank it higher if it weren't such a grind to put up a good score--there just aren't many "birdie" holes on the property, and even the ones that warrant the best scoring chances can jump out of nowhere and bite you. The only two par 5s are really difficult to score on if you're not long and straight, and the approaches into most of the par 4s are just plain tough. The closing stretch of 16-17-18 is also terrific.  

IMG_1096.jpeg.31d7cf104335773a4fd0988e3e2c8580.jpeg
The second shot in to brutal par 5 tenth (should you be so lucky to drive it there), where Justin Thomas made a few big numbers. Nowhere to hide. 
IMG_1101.jpeg.86126567c4fe1e3b2ab4c665ced4008b.jpeg

The brutal 240 yard third. Fun fact: Arnold Palmer once aced this hole in back to back rounds (see below)
IMG_1117.jpeg.d791dd5418a630f2527a57d59d8b1b0a.jpeg
IMG_1097.jpeg.7fab327f1023e62092b67b4087edaa06.jpeg

The lovely finishing hole at TPC.

IMG_1095.jpeg.8589acf021b513863d4b48dd39884e08.jpeg

The stout 16th. Lots of options here (on which bunker to hit it into)

IMG_1113.jpeg.563589732a3f7a4c5a100b2d4424cf7b.jpeg

The view from behind the 17th green

T-7.) Woodmont North and South

I don't have a huge preference towards either course but they are both awesome. The new(ish) short game area is great and the driving range is very nice too. Both courses have a ton of terrific golf holes. When they get the greens rolling in the summer, it can make for a very tough day. 

T-9.) Columbia CC and Congressional (Gold)

Columbia is a great track, but I think it is a bit overrated by the Maryland crowd at times. Columbia has some great holes, but it also has some really plain holes, and it hasn't been in great shape the few times I've played. It lacks (to me) a particularly special or exciting practice facility or clubhouse. I would probably rank it lower if I weren't worried about incurring the wrath of the people who love it. I will say Columbia has a terrific logo and plenty of prestige, if that's what you care about. Congressional Gold is a great course, but I think people wouldn't think as highly of it if it wasn't on such a terrific piece of property and linked to the legendary Blue course. 
IMG_1105.jpeg.10782d597a06b1f2437d6f374fb21772.jpeg

The putting green at the other CCC

T-11.) River Bend Club and Trump

Terrific practice facilities with two short game greens and two putting greens alongside probably the most expansive driving range in the area (except when TPC has the entire range open) with lots of targets and greens to aim at. The indoor practice facility is awesome, as well. My lone critique is that the layout does get a little bit repetitive at times, but the conditions are usually immaculate and the course is very enjoyable. Bonus points for probably the least snobby and friendliest membership in the area. Trump has some gorgeous holes on the river, and it's a terrific golf course. The gigantic waterfall on 18 is a bit excessive. The clubhouse is nice, but it is a carbon copy of basically every other Trump clubhouse. It doesn't have the same neighborhood feel or closeknit vibe as many of the other clubs listed. If I were ranking it strictly on the golf course, it would be higher. 

IMG_1108.jpeg.a5923abfc82cce4efec00d7c3ae8a02d.jpeg
The par 5 first at River Bend. Almost always in amazing shape.

IMG_1093.jpeg.93af6c079253f6969bb9b7ba9bf76b88.jpeg
The short but tricky third at River Bend. Such a fun hole!

IMG_1116.jpeg.b8baebc5e568f42aa4e689553302168a.jpeg

One of the terrific practice greens at River Bend Club. Easy to paint up the grooves when the grass is this pure!

T-13.) Belle Haven CC and Bethesda CC

When conditions are at their best, Belle Haven would be ranked a lot higher because the layout is really great, and there are a ton of cool holes. However, conditions are occasionally a problem, and the pace of play isn't the best. I really do like BHCC a lot, though. Great practice facilities, too. Bethesda is often in terrific shape, and I have played well there a few times, but the holes tend to blend together. I really like the stretch that goes out along the driveway and back towards the clubhouse (I think it's holes 8 and 9). Still, it is, at worst, a great place to play a round of golf. 
IMG_1100.jpeg.4fe14a88510e3cdf36a4a1df08c91403.jpeg

The sturdy par 3 17th at BHCC

IMG_1121.jpeg.bb6fc352b7b2f105900c6df62e1aee67.jpeg

The 8th at Belle Haven. Tough hole.

T-15.) Westwood Country Club, Lakewood CC, Army Navy CC

The facilities are nice enough, and the course is fun, with some slopey greens that bring water into play. Just not quite as memorable as those ranked above it. It is plenty nice and still a very enjoyable round out there. The same goes for Lakewood. The front nine is actually really enjoyable, but the back nine is kind of meh. Still a really nice place to play. Army Navy has a great clubhouse that also boasts an excellent view, and it has three nine hole courses. Definitely worth playing, but all three nines are a bit quirky and not quite as charming as the quirkiness of a similar shorter course in Washington Golf. 

18.) International Country Club

It's a fun track that was, I think, originally founded by the World Bank. I'm not the biggest fan of some of the holes, but there are more than a few good ones. Just a couple too many have a creek cutting off the fairway to the green or weird mini ponds on one side or the other. I dunno. It's not bad or anything, but I'd rather play any of the above courses. 

19.) Springfield CC and Bretton Woods

Conditions tend to vary heavily at both courses because they are both semi-private (to my understanding) and probably doesn't have the same kind of cash flow as the rest, but a pair of pretty good courses nonetheless. Neither course has any really stupid holes, but none of the holes stand out as great.

20.) CC of Fairfax 

Not as well maintained as the aforementioned courses. Not to be rude, but it definitely has a bit more of a public course feel. The facilities and clubhouse are both nice, though.

Not ranked: Kenwood CC (never played there, but have heard mixed reviews)

Edited by kiawah
Added photos

1 hour ago, kiawah said:

I've played just about all of the private golf courses in the DC area at this point and wanted to come up with a ranking based on the courses, practice facilities, clubhouse, and overall vibes. Would love to hear others' thoughts or opinions. Let me know if I missed any obvious ones. I could probably find pics of just about all of these tracks if I tried, so I might come back and do that later. Here is my list:

1.) Congressional (Blue) 

Relatively self-explanatory. Andrew Green's redesigned Blue course is far and away the #1 on the list. With the trees taken out, the sightlines to the world-class clubhouse are terrific on both nines. Conditions have been immaculate in the rounds I have played there in season. My favorite hole is the driveable 8th or the new look par 3 10th. The short game areas are great (I think they have at least three putting greens now) and the range is very nice. 

2.) Burning Tree

Also relatively self-explanatory. The golf course is in immaculate shape, the pace of play is amazing, and the locker room is very memorable with all of the old-school metal lockers and flags hanging from the ceiling. The layout is unique but not overly difficult compared to the likes of TPC Potomac and Congressional. It is probably old-fashioned to a fault with its restrictive membership conditions, but it is still hard for me to rate it any lower.

3.) RTJ

The views of Lake Manassas are unbelievable, and the course itself is a fun test of golf that I've never seen in bad condition. The short game facility is the best around. I almost have a hard time calling it a short game facility, considering you could probably hit 200-yard shots from one end to the other if you wanted to. All in all, it's a great golf course that I wish I could play more often. The par 3s and par 5s are all terrific.

4.) Chevy Chase Club

The addition of the indoor hitting facilities prompted me to put Chevy at 4. It's a really intriguing layout with a lot of variance between holes. It can really play tough when the greens are rolling. The view of the smokestack-like tower and the ice rink up the 18th fairway is also very cool. Chevy has some of the best par 3s anywhere around, with a pair of great par 5s as well.

5.) Washington Golf and Country Club 

Probably my hottest take. For my money, WGCC is easily the most underrated course in the area. Prior to the renovation, many of the holes were not particularly exciting/well-conditioned. With the addition of the short par-3 6th (plays between 95 and 140 yards depending on tees), the new look par-5 10th, the beastly par 4 15th, and the new tee box on 13, which frames the hole with a perfect view of the National Cathedral, it is one of the more picturesque golf courses in the area and to me it is the most fun to play by far. The new Doak-designed greens have lots of slopes and tiers but aren't excessive or tricked out. Although it is around 6,400 yards, it plays a ton longer with lots of uphill tee shots and semi-blind approaches. It also plays really tough when the greens get going. The new halfway house is essentially a second clubhouse with indoor simulators, two indoor greens, and a full-service restaurant and bar. The lack of a grass range is a bit of a killer, but all of the hitting bays have toptracer launch monitors, which makes up for it a bit. It's probably the second-best clubhouse behind Congressional, with some of the best panoramic views of DC in Arlington. The vibe on the 18th hole is second to none as dozens of members are watching you play up from the patio while eating dinner in the summertime, oftentimes betting on who's going to make their putt. If you haven't played there since the renovation, it's night and day. Pre-renovation, I wouldn't have put it in the top 15. 

6.) TPC Potomac

All around, the best practice facilities with multiple expansive short game areas, putting greens, and a terrific grass range complete with target greens that resemble those on the course. and a very nice (and very tough) golf course. The back-to-back short par 4s on the closing nine present a lot of fun shots once you're done getting manhandled by holes 11 and 12. I would rank it higher if it weren't such a grind to put up a good score--there just aren't many "birdie" holes on the property, and even the ones that warrant the best scoring chances can jump out of nowhere and bite you. The only two par 5s are really difficult to score on if you're not long and straight, and the approaches into most of the par 4s are just plain tough. The closing stretch of 16-17-18 is also terrific.  

T-7.) Woodmont North and South

I don't have a huge preference towards either course but they are both awesome. The new(ish) short game area is great and the driving range is very nice too. Both courses have a ton of terrific golf holes. When they get the greens rolling in the summer, it can make for a very tough day. 

T-9.) Columbia CC and Congressional (Gold)

Columbia is a great track, but I think it is a bit overrated by the Maryland crowd at times. Columbia has some great holes, but it also has some really plain holes, and it hasn't been in great shape the few times I've played. It lacks (to me) a particularly special or exciting practice facility or clubhouse. I would probably rank it lower if I weren't worried about incurring the wrath of the people who love it. I will say Columbia has a terrific logo and plenty of prestige, if that's what you care about. Congressional Gold is a great course, but I think people wouldn't think as highly of it if it wasn't on such a terrific piece of property and linked to the legendary Blue course. 

T-11.) River Bend Club and Trump

Terrific practice facilities with two short game greens and two putting greens alongside probably the most expansive driving range in the area (except when TPC has the entire range open) with lots of targets and greens to aim at. The indoor practice facility is awesome, as well. My lone critique is that the layout does get a little bit repetitive at times, but the conditions are usually immaculate and the course is very enjoyable. Bonus points for probably the least snobby and friendliest membership in the area. Trump has some gorgeous holes on the river, and it's a terrific golf course. The gigantic waterfall on 18 is a bit excessive. The clubhouse is nice, but it is a carbon copy of basically every other Trump clubhouse. It doesn't have the same neighborhood feel or closeknit vibe as many of the other clubs listed. If I were ranking it strictly on the golf course, it would be higher. 

T-13.) Belle Haven CC and Bethesda CC

When conditions are at their best, Belle Haven would be ranked a lot higher because the layout is really great, and there are a ton of cool holes. However, conditions are occasionally a problem, and the pace of play isn't the best. I really do like BHCC a lot, though. Great practice facilities, too. Bethesda is often in terrific shape, and I have played well there a few times, but the holes tend to blend together. I really like the stretch that goes out along the driveway and back towards the clubhouse (I think it's holes 8 and 9). Still, it is, at worst, a great place to play a round of golf. 

T-15.) Westwood Country Club, Lakewood CC, Army Navy CC

The facilities are nice enough, and the course is fun, with some slopey greens that bring water into play. Just not quite as memorable as those ranked above it. It is plenty nice and still a very enjoyable round out there. The same goes for Lakewood. The front nine is actually really enjoyable, but the back nine is kind of meh. Still a really nice place to play. Army Navy has a great clubhouse that also boasts an excellent view, and it has three nine hole courses. Definitely worth playing, but all three nines are a bit quirky and not quite as charming as the quirkiness of a similar shorter course in Washington Golf. 

18.) International Country Club

It's a fun track that was, I think, originally founded by the World Bank. I'm not the biggest fan of some of the holes, but there are more than a few good ones. Just a couple too many have a creek cutting off the fairway to the green or weird mini ponds on one side or the other. I dunno. It's not bad or anything, but I'd rather play any of the above courses. 

19.) Springfield CC and Bretton Woods

Conditions tend to vary heavily at both courses because they are both semi-private (to my understanding) and probably doesn't have the same kind of cash flow as the rest, but a pair of pretty good courses nonetheless. Neither course has any really stupid holes, but none of the holes stand out as great.

20.) CC of Fairfax 

Not as well maintained as the aforementioned courses. Not to be rude, but it definitely has a bit more of a public course feel. The facilities and clubhouse are both nice, though.

Not ranked: Kenwood CC (never played there, but have heard mixed reviews)

Springfield is not semi private.

• Like 1

On 4/3/2024 at 3:40 PM, CarlLipbaum said:

Obvious question - how in the hell did you get on all of these?  

I’m very fortunate to have grown up a member at one of these courses and got to play most of these courses thru inter club/high school matches and junior/amateur tournaments for the vast majority. Going to a private high school helped a lot. Everyone was a member somewhere 

On 4/3/2024 at 2:55 PM, caniac6 said:

Springfield is not semi private.

I must have gotten fed bad info. Always liked playing there during the Bobby Bowers junior tournament. Lost those two straight par 5s in the match play one year with birdie birdie iirc 😂. On that one par 3 with water left (I think it’s the 4th hole, or maybe 13, I started on 10 in the tournament a couple years which screwed up my perception of front vs back 9) I hit the path on the right and the ball ended up hitting the pin and missed the ensuing par putt. Fun course.

• Like 1

My family lives less than a mile from Springfield CC, and my father has been a member for about 35 years. He’s 96, and plays 9 holes three times per week. We used to play hockey on the pond by that par3, #4, when I was a kid. It’s a fun course, not very long, but the greens are pretty tough.

Edited by caniac6
  • Like 2

• kiawah changed the title to My DC Area Course Rankings (Pics Added)
4 hours ago, caniac6 said:

My family lives less than a mile from Springfield CC, and my father has been a member for about 35 years. He’s 96, and plays 9 holes three times per week. We used to play hockey on the pond by that par3, #4, when I was a kid. It’s a fun course, not very long, but the greens are pretty tough.

I have always been of the mind that if Springfield had the same funding for groundskeeping as some of the top tracks it would be upper echelon. I would never turn down a round there. Course has great bones.

• Like 1