2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Mid/High Handicap Sweeper moving back to Irons. Help!

AndersonGT

Morning folks! I currently play Cleveland XL Halo Irons. I actually really enjoy them and they have been great for my swing type but I think I'm ready to move back to irons. Disclaimer that my handicap is more a result of poor distance with my driver along with a poor short game. 

I've read about thinner sole irons being better for sweepers but in all my years of golf, I don't think I ever tried. Best set if irons I ever got along with were the OG Forged Tec by Cobra but my only complaint was they were too workable and I'm not that consistent. Workablilty isn't something I need which why I think I like the Halo XLs so much. Ideally if I could find something forged with similar results to the Halos, that would be ideal. I actually owned the Bridgestone JGR Tour B which were nice but were really unforgiving on off center hits. 

Would any thinsole irons work for me? I do plan on getting fitted but I want to narrow down the choices before I go. Thank for your input in head of time. Oh, and yes I know, get lessons for my Driver and short game.

Current 2024 Bag

TM Stealth HD Ventus Blue
Ping 425 15.5* 3 wood Tensei Orange Raw
Ping 410 18*, 22*, 27* Hybrids 
Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 6i thru GW 
Taylormade ATV Original 2012 56* and 60* KBS 120
2012 Scotty Newport Select or Never Compromise Gambler LTD

Vice Pro or Taylormade Tour Response

Cleveland Launcher XL Zipcore if you are buying brand new, or prior model Launcher XL. They have V-sole tech, works well if you are a picker who every once in a while fats a shot. You can probably match the same shaft as your Halos.

Ping G400 Max 10.5° Distanza SR

Ping G425 SFT 3 & 5, Distanza SR

Ping G30 4H R

Cleveland Launcher XL 6-PW, Projext X Catalyst 60 R

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50°, Project X Catalyst 80 R

Cleveland CBX 56° Full Face, Project X Catalyst 80 R

Evnroll ER10 34" Winn ProX 1.18 grip

Srixon Soft Feel

It sounds like you’re getting decent results with the Halos but you want a more conventional(?) looking club in your bag?
Try something like the JPX 923 Hot Metal, T350 or the G430.

Edited by GrandStranded

PING G425 Max 10.5* 

TAYLORMADE Stealth 3HL & 7W

TAYLORMADE  Stealth 22* & 25*

MIZUNO JPX 923 HM 6-AW 

PING Tour Issue Glide 4.0 Raw 54-12

PING Tour Issue Glide 4.0 Raw 58-10

SCOTTY CAMERON Phantom X 5.5

14 minutes ago, GrandStranded said:

I think you’re getting a bit over your skis personally. It sounds like you’re getting decent results with the Halos but your ego wants something pretty(?) in your bag?
Try something like the JPX 923 Hot Metal. 

No, just read some threads from a couple years ago about irons best suited for sweepers. Some think thin soles work better. I’ll probably try the Forged Tec Xs since the 2016 Forged Tec worked well for me. But yeah, ego is an issue because I went to 919 Forged after as well D9 forged. The 919s were shorter and I just didn’t get along with them as well. The D9s were fairly good but they had a good amount of flyers mixed in. Tried the Halos and was surprised by the feel for a hybrid iron and have had them for two years…but yeah, the looks are finally getting to along with the I get from others despite the performance.

After playing forged, I don’t see going back to cast. The Halos felt different than both. Almost like you could feel the face flex at impact and not harsh at all. I really have nothing but good things to say about the Halo XLs except for the awful looks and if I can find another forged iron that is similar, I’m going to move forward. 

Current 2024 Bag

I think the whole "sweeper vs. digger" thing is way overblown. How's your low point control. Do you hit the ball seriously thin or fat multiple times per round? Then get irons with some width to the sole, a blunt leading edge and hopefully a bit of bounce. It's not going to cost you anything. The sort of player who absolutely needs a thin sole on his irons (in order to precisely manipulate his trajectory and thereby control distance) would never have played Halo XL irons in the first place. Not slagging on Halos, I've used them and liked them myself. Just saying you, me and all the other high handicappers out there without great control over the clubhead of our irons will do just fine with normal game improvement irons. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, North Butte said:

I think the whole "sweeper vs. digger" thing is way overblown. How's your low point control. Do you hit the ball seriously thin or fat multiple times per round? Then get irons with some width to the sole, a blunt leading edge and hopefully a bit of bounce. It's not going to cost you anything. The sort of player who absolutely needs a thin sole on his irons (in order to precisely manipulate his trajectory and thereby control distance) would never have played Halo XL irons in the first place. Not slagging on Halos, I've used them and liked them myself. Just saying you, me and all the other high handicappers out there without great control over the clubhead of our irons will do just fine with normal game improvement irons. 

I think his mind is made up, and that’s fine.

The only thing I’d quibble with in your post is the thing I like about my HM’s is they have a relatively low bounce, and as a sweeper I think that’s helped me?

That said, as a 12 hcap I’m far from the best ball striker out there with my irons, so what the heck do I know? 🤷‍♂️

PING G425 Max 10.5* 

MIZUNO JPX 923 HM 6-AW 

8 minutes ago, North Butte said:

I get it. So actually if anything, my miss is fat. I should also say I never got the Halos built for my old fitting like I did the Forged Tec. My swing hasn't really changed much. I don't hit down on the ball like I "should" but hit up and despite being 6' tall my I was fitted to 1/2" which honestly does make a big difference. 

I really don't want to pay for custom made clubs again. Hindsight is 20/20 and if I knew then what I knew now, I would have never gotten rig of those Forged Tec's. I also wish I took care of my clubs back then the way I do now. My best bet is to probably just pay the fitting fee at Club Champion or local fitter and try to find that spec on Ebay. 

Oh, the thread from two years ago sang the praises of the T100s for sweepers/pickers of low to high handicaps which I found surprising as well Ping I230s. 

Current 2024 Bag

7 minutes ago, GrandStranded said:

The only thing I’d quibble with in your post is the thing I like about my HM’s is they have a relatively low bounce, and as a sweeper I think that’s helped me?

That said, as a 12 hcap I’m far from the best ball striker out there with my irons, so what the heck do I know? 🤷‍♂️

I've demo'd the current Hot Metals (not the Pros) and unlike the first generation from 6-7 years ago they don't strike me as having particularly skinny soles. The current leading edges are also blunter than I remembered from the JPX 900's (I think that was the model).

2 minutes ago, AndersonGT said:

I get it. So actually if anything, my miss is fat. I should also say I never got the Halos built for my old fitting like I did the Forged Tec. My swing hasn't really changed much. I don't hit down on the ball like I "should" but hit up and despite being 6' tall my I was fitted to 1/2" which honestly does make a big difference. 

I really don't want to pay for custom made clubs again. Hindsight is 20/20 and if I knew then what I knew now, I would have never gotten rig of those Forged Tec's. I also wish I took care of my clubs back then the way I do now. My best bet is to probably just pay the fitting fee at Club Champion or local fitter and try to find that spec on Ebay. 

Oh, the thread from two years ago sang the praises of the T100s for sweepers/pickers of low to high handicaps which I found surprising as well Ping I230s. 

I hate to be a curmudgeon about it but over many years on this forum, I've observed lots of people using the "sweeper" thing to rationalize (to themselves) playing irons like the T100's when their game would no doubt better suit T300's or whatever. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, GrandStranded said:

I could have had a bad shaft on the 919s, I didn't get fitted for them and bought them on a whim because I liked the looks of course. For some reason I hit them very high, about 10-15 yds shorter than the Forged tecs. And yes, also fattied them but I'm sure that was cause I went back to standard length. The D9s were the complete opposite. Low, long and incosistant. But again, they sure were pretty, lol. Halos are about the same distance as Forged Tec, but straight and consistant. If you have to shape a shot with them though, really have to work for it and exaggerate. 

Current 2024 Bag

1 minute ago, North Butte said:

I've demo'd the current Hot Metals (not the Pros) and unlike the first generation from 6-7 years ago they don't strike me as having particularly skinny soles. The current leading edges are also blunter than I remembered from the JPX 900's (I think that was the model).

Agreed about the thick soles on the HMs, it’s why I like them, and why I recommended them to the OP… I thought they might be a good compromise for him coming from the Halos.

I might be wrong about them having a relatively low bounce for such a forgiving iron, but that’s how they seem to me. Playing where I do (Myrtle Beach) I struggled with my Gen3 XPs off the tight lies which are so prevalent here, yet when I play them in my 2nd bag up on Long Island, I have no issues. Is it the bounce that’s making that happen? I honestly can’t tell for sure, but I know there’s a difference.

PING G425 Max 10.5* 

MIZUNO JPX 923 HM 6-AW 

16 minutes ago, North Butte said:

I hate to be a curmudgeon about it but over many years on this forum, I've observed lots of people using the "sweeper" thing to rationalize (to themselves) playing irons like the T100's when their game would no doubt better suit T300's or whatever. 

If there are common things I’ve noticed on this site it’s that the vast majority here want people to think they need x flex 130g shafts in their irons, and they all need a butter knife looking head, and they hit their driver and 3W further than the Tour average.

Edited by GrandStranded

PING G425 Max 10.5* 

MIZUNO JPX 923 HM 6-AW 

14 minutes ago, GrandStranded said:

If there are common things I’ve noticed on this site it’s that the vast majority here want people to think they need x flex 130g shafts in their irons, and they all need a butter knife looking head, and they hit their driver and 3W further than the Tour average.

Maybe 10 years ago I met and played golf with a fellow who used to frequent this forum. He had a couple observations from having attended an event where a lot of WRX'ers got together. 

1) He said many of them were legitimately, just scary long and a few were both scary long and scary good (compared to me and him at least).

2) He also said even then, he did not think the scary long guys hit it nearly as long as they talked about hitting it on the forum.

Food for thought.😁