2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

johnny miller's comments about vijay's swing change....

ktbfsu

he observed that vijay went from a flat swing to a more upright one - it required him to change his clubs from standard lie to two degrees upright. miller opined that this was a dramatic change to make on the cusp of a tourney. my question - why do you think vijay is making the change? what is he trying to accomplish?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Vijay's swing is an absolute mess. How he even strikes the ball on the clubface is a miracle. I wonder, honestly, how good he could be if he actually had a swing that didn't require 10 hours of practice a day just to keep it marginally in play (and even then, still not that great).

Tim

Now I am not saying he did not get help from Woods there when he got to number 1 but he was the next in line. Hogan practiced just as much if not more than Singh and he was great so just because you work you nubs off that doesn't mean its because you not as good as the others.

I'd agree with the above post.

There are many examples of great players who practiced sparingly; and other cases where players had a very intensive practice regime. One way is not better than the other - it's just a case of what's appropriate for the individual.

Vijay Singh probably spends as much time on single range session as an in-his-prime Sandy Lyle spent during an entire tournament week. Montgomerie is another example of a top player who has never practiced much.

Nike Ignite 410 10.5° Grafalloy Blue X

Nike T60 15° Fujikura Speeder 757 X

Titleist 913F 19° Mitsubishi Diamana BB 83X or Titleist 712U 2-iron 19° KBS Tour S

Titleist 712U 3-iron 22° KBS Tour S

Titleist 681 4-iron to 9-iron KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 48.08F Raw 49° KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 56.10M Raw 56° KBS Tour S

Ping Eye 2 Gorge L Wedge 60° KBS Tour S  &  Ping Anser 2

Vijay's swing is an absolute mess. How he even strikes the ball on the clubface is a miracle. I wonder, honestly, how good he could be if he actually had a swing that didn't require 10 hours of practice a day just to keep it marginally in play (and even then, still not that great).

Tim

I'm gonna guess that since you consider a beautiful, powerful, accurate, repeatable, and rythmic swing an absolute mess that you think the best swing in professional golf belongs to Jim Thorpe? Come on, Vijay's swing is art in motion. OK, it's a little old school, and not as efficient as most cookie cutter swings on tour, but it's fun to watch.

If he has a bad swing then Snead had a bad swing, the two are very similar.

Vijay's swing is an absolute mess. How he even strikes the ball on the clubface is a miracle. I wonder, honestly, how good he could be if he actually had a swing that didn't require 10 hours of practice a day just to keep it marginally in play (and even then, still not that great).Tim

Honestly how I have always felt reading about Hogan but a lot of people think his way was the simplest.

Vijay always looks off balance to me but its not the fault of his motion. I liked his old swing better but if his back is hurting its time for a change.

nothing better than a 15 handicap who tells everyone he is a 5, critiquing a tour players swing and calling it a mess. You probably also think that everyone should swing like Tiger because Johnny Miller has a "man-crush" on him.

Most of golf is the 6 inches between your ears, Tiger has control of that gray matter...the other guys don't.

Vijay is a stud to be in his mid 40's competing with people 15 years younger. However, he is a total headcase.

Titleist TSi3 w/Oban Kiyoshi White 6X 
Titleist TSi2 15 degree w/Accra TZ6 75 M5

Titleist TSi2 21 degree w/Accra TZ6 75 M5 

Srixon ZX5 4-6 w/KBS TGI 110 (SS 1x) @1/2" over standard

Srixon ZX7 7-PW w/KBS TGI 110 (SS 1x) @1/2" over standard
Titleist Vokey SM8 Raw 50/54/58 KBS TGI 110 (SS 1x) @1/2" over standard
Toulon Las Vegas custom w/BGT Tour 

he observed that vijay went from a flat swing to a more upright one - it required him to change his clubs from standard lie to two degrees upright. miller opined that this was a dramatic change to make on the cusp of a tourney. my question - why do you think vijay is making the change? what is he trying to accomplish?

perhaps Vijay's own comments can answer your questions: http://www.golfdigest.com/magazine/2008/04/vijay

It is almost impossible to remember how tragic a place the world is when one is playing golf. -Robert Wilson Lynd

Tim

I'm gonna guess that since you consider a beautiful, powerful, accurate, repeatable, and rythmic swing an absolute mess that you think the best swing in professional golf belongs to Jim Thorpe? Come on, Vijay's swing is art in motion. OK, it's a little old school, and not as efficient as most cookie cutter swings on tour, but it's fun to watch.

Snead and Singh could not be more different. Singh has beautiful rhythm, one of the best on tour, but I'm not a fan of his changes either. Personal pref, as anything else. It obviously works for him.

8.5* Nike Vapor Speed - 7m3
15* Cobra Amp Cell - Fubuki 70x
18* Adams A12 - GD DI 85x
20* Adams Super 9031 - UST VTS 100x
54*, 58* Nike VR Forged
5-PW Mizuno MP64 - PXi 6.0

Tim

Snead and Singh could not be more different. Singh has beautiful rhythm, one of the best on tour, but I'm not a fan of his changes either. Personal pref, as anything else. It obviously works for him.

Snead and Singh may be different, but their golf swings are more alike than any others I've ever seen. Very similar and unique tempo, kick in of the right knee to initiate the backswing, similar position at the top (until recently), great extension well past impact, both swings very reliant on tempo, I could go on. I didn't even know that was something that could be debated.

Tim

Snead and Singh may be different, but their golf swings are more alike than any others I've ever seen. Very similar and unique tempo, kick in of the right knee to initiate the backswing, similar position at the top (until recently), great extension well past impact, both swings very reliant on tempo, I could go on. I didn't even know that was something that could be debated.

We are talking Singh after changes right? I agree both have great rhythm. But look at slo-mo of Snead and Singh and you'll see what I mean. Snead is very centered, Singh slides his hips all around. Snead has my kind of release, very rotary and body driven, swings left. Singh is very much a release down the line, very handsy release, his right hand comes almost completely off the club. There's more and I could go on as well. One more, Snead very much stays in his angles he set as address, Singh's lower body moves away from the so-called "tush-line" a lot through impact.

8.5* Nike Vapor Speed - 7m3
15* Cobra Amp Cell - Fubuki 70x
18* Adams A12 - GD DI 85x
20* Adams Super 9031 - UST VTS 100x
54*, 58* Nike VR Forged
5-PW Mizuno MP64 - PXi 6.0

Before, Vijay's takeaway was more outside the line, wrists cupped at top, and had a flatter top of the backswing.

Now, Vijay takes it inside and then goes up the wall, to the top, with a flat wrist.

I don't know, but his old way is pretty hard to do. I believe Miller is wrong about Vijay's old swing. His wrists isn't as cupped as he indicated it to be.

nothing better than a 15 handicap who tells everyone he is a 5, critiquing a tour players swing and calling it a mess. You probably also think that everyone should swing like Tiger because Johnny Miller has a "man-crush" on him.

Most of golf is the 6 inches between your ears, Tiger has control of that gray matter...the other guys don't.

Vijay is a stud to be in his mid 40's competing with people 15 years younger. However, he is a total headcase.

For the record, I was the one who said Vijay's swing was a mess. I stand by that comment. Also for the record, my handicap is about 17 or 18 strokes better than you presumed, but that is irrelevant. The proof is in the eyes, and mine see a swing that has way, way too many moving parts to perform without ridiculous amounts of practice. Vijay is an amazing worker, and I respect him more than most every other pro. His scrambling ability is among the best ever (though his putting is suspect and therefore does not get the credit he deserves). However, if you watch his swing, believe that it is "tight" and "repeatable" then well we will just have to agree to disagree.

Tim

We are talking Singh after changes right? I agree both have great rhythm. But look at slo-mo of Snead and Singh and you'll see what I mean. Snead is very centered, Singh slides his hips all around. Snead has my kind of release, very rotary and body driven, swings left. Singh is very much a release down the line, very handsy release, his right hand comes almost completely off the club. There's more and I could go on as well. One more, Snead very much stays in his angles he set as address, Singh's lower body moves away from the so-called "tush-line" a lot through impact.

rok is 100% correct, in my view. Singh = down-the-line flipper. Snead = release low and left swinger. Singh can make all the swing changes in the world, but until he keeps both hands on the club through impact, stops turning the toe to the ground, and stays connected then he will never, ever be like Snead.

Cheers,

Tim

You are right. Vijay is just a terrible ball striker. He should just quit now.

He has won more events in his 40's than anyone and has been one of the top ball strikers for the past decade. As far as getting connected, he has hit balls with a glove under his left arm for the past 6 years. His left arm is pinned to his chest on the downswing. Just think how good Mickelson, Couples, Singh and many others would have been if their right hand stayed on the club. Man if they only knew.