2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Wilson Staff comment

slicer365

But when I asked the EW sales guy about them, he sorta made a face and said he didn't care for them and thought Wilson would pull out of golf in the near future.

Unbelievable, what a moron. How long has Wilson been in golf? They are just starting to get back on the map now they're pulling out? Please don't listen to idiots (except me). Before EW this guy bagged groceries, after EW he will deliver pizzas. Dicks, GG, EW, Circuit City, Best Buy, you just cannot listen to the stooges these stores employ. You must do your own research & then go in.

This is such BS. The Golf Mag test last month with avg Joe and good golfers hitting clubs ranked Wilson's irons as among the best if not the best. Sam Snead was a Wilson guy and they have made good clubs forever.

I think it comes down to margins and spiffs paid to salespeople. I think Cally, Ping and TM have more margin in their products. I bet the salespeople get an extra spiff if they sell certain brands. Nike has some much marketing money they can throw around and ditto for TM/Adidas.

My impression when I go into Edwin Watts is they really push Cally, TM, Nike and Ping plus a little Adams and Cleveland. Mizuno is next with MacGregor and Srixon. Nickalaus gets better floor space and who buys Jack's clubs. Wilson is hidden away as is Nickent.

Wilson makes very good irons. My impression is Wilson is marketed better in Europe. I have a Wilson putter and love it. I will take it over a Rife, Odyessy, Cameron or Ping any day of the week.

I also have an old Wilson set from the early 1970s (Sammy Snead played them) and the irons are still damn good blades. I keep them because they were my first set of clubs.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BillyClub, did you demo other game improvement irons besides the Di7 you can compare it to? I'm interested in upgrading irons soon and it's between the Nickent 3DX, TM R7, and the Di7 but I haven't been able to demo the Di7 anywhere.

Yeah, TM r7, Nike Slingshot OSS, Cobra S9, Cleveland Hibore, Mizuno's GI irons not sure of the model and Ping G5.

Wasn't happy with the TM or Nike at all. Clev, Cobra, & mizuno were ok. Choice narrowed between the Ping's and the DI7. Then took another round with each... and thought the W/S was the best hands down. Nice mid-high ball flight with a nice little ending fade. Barely felt like I was hitting the ball and they were just taking off right at my target.

Just to let you know how much they impressed me... I'm 30 and was a total brand snob before playing with TM irons, r7 Driver, Clev wedges, and Ping putter and thought Wilson was a Kmart type brand and chuckled when I saw people hitting them. Boy was I a pompous a**! I'm sold on the brand now.

These guys put on the demo day at my range so I bought them from them and they have the best price I've found.

http://www.golfdiscountsuperstore.com/wigodidiirse.html best price I've found

For demo days check wilson's site here:

http://www.wilson.com/wilson/staff/choice....;bmLocale=en_GB

Speaking of brand snobs, I was looking at putters one day after getting back into golf. the RAM set included a pretty bad putter. I thought I just could not put. I was fooling around in the store and tried an Odyessy, Ping, Rife and a few others. They were a lot more expensive than what I would pay an I was not dropping putts with them either. $200 or so price points.

I saw a Wilson Harmonized mallet putter for $29.95 or maybe $39.95. I thought what the heck, Wilson always gives you a lot for the money. I was sinking one putt after another. I bought it right away and putting is no longer an issue for me. I usually can sink 10 footes without a problem. 30 footers are possible. Longer putts if I do not make them I get them within 2 feet.

I may test their irons and buy one of their Harmonized wedges. Great clubs and a great company. Their golf balls including the SmartCore are among the best bargains in golf. The 50/50 is also a nice ball.

First post, new to the forum. I have the new Ci7 irons and I personally feel you can't buy a better iron at any price. I've had mizuno mp 30,32,60,57, taylor made r7 tp's, callaway x-20 tours, titleist 690 mb's, 735's and some others as well. These Ci7's are amazing! I don't think there is a better feeling iron out there. I was also surprised how well the shaft performs. I like the stock shaft better than the S300, project x 5.5, 6.0's. It's amazing how easy you can control the ball with these clubs. Slight draw, fade and even straight when you wish. I don't hit the hard pulls or pushes with these clubs as I had an tendency to do with the others. Over the ball, the Ci7's look very very similar to the callaway x-20 tours. A thicker top edge, slightly larger club head and very slight offset. Almost identical except they do have a shiny finish. Anyways, if you considering these irons I don't think you'll be sorry.

To those of you with CI7's, how are the TX105 shafts? Looking at the specs, they seem to be a flighted DGSL. If these shafts are good, it may push me more towards Staff since I wont have to reshaft.

I would put the shaft between the 5.5 and 6.0 rifle. It provides a ball flight slightly higher than the 6.0. My last clubs had the constant weight rifle which is almost identical to the 6.0 rifle (so I'm told) and the clubs go similar distances with a slightly higher flight. The short irons are a little longer and the long irons very slightly shorter. You should give them a go if you are interested in new clubs. I am pretty happy with them.

On another note I played another couple rounds since my last posts. Both have been in really windy conditions. When I say windy I don't mean breezy were talking 20-35mph. I actually enjoyed making different shots with these clubs. Controlling the trajectory was easier than my old clubs (I was concerned about this with this shaft). I shot two very respectable rounds for the conditions. In fact I shot my best nine holes of the year in these conditions with these clubs. They are keepers. Don't let the low price fool you they are well worth the time to try.

one4

• 4 weeks later...
While the lofts are jacked up on the CI7's (44* PW), most sets I have seen are shipped 4-GW (50* GW) so while the numbers on the clubs are wrong, you still end up with a 50* club in the set. I am strongly considering these irons, but the lofts are putting me off a bit. If they only went to a 46* PW then I could keep my current 52/56/60 wedge setup. This isnt possible with a 44-50 setup that the set is made to.

I have the same wedge setup as you and didnt want to change, I took the 50* gap wedge and had it bent to 48* so I have 4* loft difference between all my wedges. I took out the 4 irons and use hybrid that takes the place of my 3 and 4 iron.

Wilson's on a roll.

I even love the older Wilson Staff's Kirk Currie putter line - fully milled face, counter weights on the handle and the adjustable weights on the sole plate(s). Very flexible putter, looks are great, performs very well - just an amazing putter line to have for those putter-tech geeks out there, like me. Welcome back Wilson!

Another Wilson fan here...I posted earlier in this thread giving some love to the Ci6s. I ended up buying the Ci7s just because of the look. I figured if it ended up playing anything like the 6s, I'd be in love. Ci7s turned out to be money for me. I just love these clubs.

I owned the Kirk Currie Wilsons as well for a couple of months. I got caught up in that thread in the flatstick and putter forum, and ended up picked one up off of eBay on a whim. It is a beautiful putter and the counterbalancing system is pretty cool...you can really mess around with the weights until you're happy with the feel. Very nice price too....about $40 shipped at that time. Can't go wrong there, especially since it looks like it costs at least a hundred.

I played my new set of Ci7 yesterday for the first time. Standard length and lie, TX105 stiff shafts, 4i-GW. Gotta say, these are a pretty sick set of clubs for the 300$ I paid for 'em (Thanks Ebay). I love the control with 7,8,9,P,G...trajectory was perfect, distances were spot on, I was pin high all day, which for me, is a feat within itself (playing to a 17.9). I found the 4 and 5 iron a little shaky, too much draw, even a little hooky. I chalk that up to the fact that this is the stiffest shaft that I've ever played. With some practice, I'll nail those too. These clubs are hot off the face, ball gets going real quick. Good feedback on mishits, forgiving low or high on the face, not so much with heel/toe misses. Like butter from the rough too.

I am totally satisfied with these clubs, Wilson Staff has a winning line on their hands.

To those of you with CI7's, how are the TX105 shafts? Looking at the specs, they seem to be a flighted DGSL. If these shafts are good, it may push me more towards Staff since I wont have to reshaft.

I don't own the Ci7, but I plan to demo it. I'm thinking that the True Temper TX-105 shaft is a heavier version of the TX-90 shaft in my Pro Combo OS irons which Nike had badged as SpeedStep steel. If so, it is one of the highest priced premium shafts that TT makes. I like them although they are a little higher trajectory than the DG SL in another set I have which could be the different heads as well. On the other hand the lofts on the Wilson's are considerably stronger than either of my other sets so the higher trajectory and lower kickpoint pared with a stronger loft would contribute to mainly just a distance gain. Can't hurt. Now the negative...the Ci7s have half inch longer shafts than standard (longer than my Callys or Nikes) which would not fit me well.

I don't own the Ci7, but I plan to demo it. I'm thinking that the True Temper TX-105 shaft is a heavier version of the TX-90 shaft in my Pro Combo OS irons which Nike had badged as SpeedStep steel. If so, it is one of the highest priced premium shafts that TT makes. I like them although they are a little higher trajectory than the DG SL in another set I have which could be the different heads as well. On the other hand the lofts on the Wilson's are considerably stronger than either of my other sets so the higher trajectory and lower kickpoint pared with a stronger loft would contribute to mainly just a distance gain. Can't hurt. Now the negative...the Ci7s have half inch longer shafts than standard (longer than my Callys or Nikes) which would not fit me well.

But the length of the shafts matches the lofts, right? So just treat the eight iron as a seven iron.

Wilson and their business model is a cautionary tale in itself...

If it ain't broke don't fix it :man_in_love:

At one point they made the best irons and wedges available to the public and lost focus through bad management and sloppy market research..

But now they seem to be back with a bang, for the last five years they seem to have turned themselves around and the irons? good to great I would say... :clapping:

All they need to do now is set up an archive custom iron site where you can custom order irons from their past inventory...now that would be something...

FG51's anyone???

63Brummie.

fairways and greens

The best part about wilson is in the fact that they don't build shovels for irons. They have been making some damn good irons for a very long time but much like macgregor are often overlooked because people don't see them in the hands of a big name player on the pga tour since Padrig is mainly a european player. I really think they make some of the best irons around, there is just not a bunch of hype or wow factor around them. On top of that they have the same shaft options as other big name irons. I'd say they make a much more respectable set of irons than nike does they just need the marketing $$$ like nike does to make a bigger showing on the golf scene because they already make a highly rated product, they just have horrible market exposure.

my opinion on this is, wilson doesn't have the snob appeal that most people want. I was very hesitant to get my Wilson Deep Red (All of my friends have TM's and Cobras) woods and driver because they didn't have any appeal, but I played with one and compared with some others I just enjoyed it a lot more. Wilson does make a good product but as I said earlier they don't have the appeal. Also another thing would be nice is if they made sure the amount of equipment is limited when they go to the clearance rack. I remember seeing at least 30-40 Wilson drivers on the clearance rack at sports authority.

I really like there Spine Driver, I lamost never mishit anymore. I still love my graphate fat shafts which are close to ten years old, I demoed the Di7, and they felt just like them. I am hoping they will make a Spine fairway and maybe a Spine Hybrid. Also, the Wilson Zip is an awsome ball, soft yet long, replaces my noodle I used because of my low swing speed.

More Wilson Staff love here......

I picked up a set of PI5's as my backups on the BST and they drop kicked every other iron out of my bag. I've played Nike, Cleveland, and TM irons prior to my PI5's and these are the most consistent feeling irons i have ever hit. Great flight, great lines, and great performance.

The most underrated OEM out there IMO......And very excited to demo the new line...

If Wilson keeps it's advertising low profile it's better for the well informed consumer...means lower sticker prices on good equipment! They could easily charge 599$ or more for the Ci7's and they'd still be cheaper than the big boys, and still be a damn fine set of clubs. Word of mouth advertising still works, just look at these boards.

• 4 weeks later...

I have to agree with previous comment. The major brands are expensive because so much money is spent on marketing. I.E. advertising and paying pros to play their stuff. Wilsons are not priced low because they are inferior in quality they simply dont have to cover the overhead of the major manufacturers. So we benefit from wilsons low profile. I f they get into the marketing game you wont see their clubs at reasonable prices for long.

Does Wilson have a custom order option? I have not been able to find a fitter who offers them and the info is not on their web site, and my emails have gone unanswered. :russian_roulette:

I am more concerned with length and lie more than exotic shaft options. I am in the Hartford, CT area if anyone knows of a local fitter/retailer who custom fits the Wilsons.

Thanks

Does Wilson have a custom order option? I have not been able to find a fitter who offers them and the info is not on their web site, and my emails have gone unanswered. :russian_roulette:

I am more concerned with length and lie more than exotic shaft options. I am in the Hartford, CT area if anyone knows of a local fitter/retailer who custom fits the Wilsons.

Thanks

I went to wilson staff's website, picked an iron model (Ci7) and from that iron page clicked "view specifications and shaft options"

Which took me to this page which had the lenght/lie info (Most recent Wilson Staff irons come +1/2" standard)

Also from the Wilson Staff home page, in the top right, there's a Demo and Dealer locator button, i found 13 Wilson Staff dealers near Hartford, most of which could probably fit you. Hope this helps

Does Wilson have a custom order option? I have not been able to find a fitter who offers them and the info is not on their web site, and my emails have gone unanswered. :rolleyes:

Thanks

I went to wilson staff's website, picked an iron model (Ci7) and from that iron page clicked "view specifications and shaft options"

Which took me to this page which had the lenght/lie info (Most recent Wilson Staff irons come +1/2" standard)

Also from the Wilson Staff home page, in the top right, there's a Demo and Dealer locator button, i found 13 Wilson Staff dealers near Hartford, most of which could probably fit you. Hope this helps

Thanks, I found that stuff too. I did go to one of those box stores and when talking about fitting the sales person stated that 90% of people need standard clubs so no need to do the fitting. If I need standard, and Wilson is standard +1/2", wouldn't a fitting benefit me if I choose the Wilsons? You see my point, I am hoping to find a better qualified option than what they offer. They only want to sell what is in stock, not what is right, and that is the largest golf retailer in CT.

I have played Di5 irons with so much success for last four years or so, that I hate to change. I liked them so much, that I bought the wedges from Wilson Staff and even a putter made by Kirk Currie for WS. I was a 30 handicap five years ago, a scratch player now...not all due to WS, but I do think they are great tools. I reshafted from the graphite I bought with the set to dynamic Gold S300, only change along with grips.

I play a little Tour in Texas and won the Tour Championship in 2006 and Match Play in 2007. The only irons I have been considering are the Ci7 irons that Padraig won the Open with...until I got the New Golf Digest magazine. Now I have to put the new Di9 irons in my hand and give them a try.

I do believe that most guys that just have to put forged heads in their hands may be the same type of guy that tries to pick up 5 pounds more than the other guys at the gym. I play with some of these guys and a little forgiveness is okay with me...if it's okay for pros...it's okay for me. I watch my buddies overshape with forged and the clubs just do not last in the bag without tons of chatter marks and grooves get smashed to blazes. My old cast Di5 irons keep on ticking...have only had to clean up the PW....and bought new TW series WS wedges along the way....which are forged...I carry Sand, Gap and Lob in 60 degree.

I am staying with WS...except for woods...I carry Cobra 454 Comp in 9 degree with a Mitsubishi Rayon shaft and it splits and divides like a putter...I carry a 3+ cobra 3 wood with a Dynamic Gold S300 shaft and it flys 240 with minimal effort, rolls to 265 depending on conditions.

• 2 months later...

"As you answer these questions you turn this wheel around and it determines which clubs you need by 'bridging the gaps' between your woods and irons. They use what they call a "Fybrid" and this is a 41" 19.5º "fairway bridge" that you would get to go from your 3 or 5 wood depending on the output from the earlier 'test' i.e it reads that you should get 3w Fy and 3h... 3 wood, the 19.5º "fybrid" and a 3hybrid at 21º if I'm not mistaken. The Fy that I hit was the straightest hybrid I have ever hit, straighter than my Ping G10... "

This year, the return of the 4-wood seemed to be the big thing at my club. Lots of guys getting older, going with more lofted drivers and replacing their 3-woods with 4-woods, about 16.5 or 17º, which after all is what the old wooden 3-woods were anyway.

This Wilson 19.5º "Fybrid" thing sounds like a perfect fill between a 4-wood and a 22º hybrid. One envisions a set with driver, 4-wood, fybrid, 22 and 25º hybrids, 5-9 irons, three wedges (48/53/58º maybe?), and a putter.

If I can find one of those Fybrids to try, I could wind up with such a set myself for next season.

• 3 weeks later...

I believe Wilson is the oldest Golf Club Company still in operation.

I have bought two set of DI-7's this year.

To quote several scratch golfers/Golf Shop owners (responding to my answer of what clubs I'm playing)..."the most underrated clubs on the market today'.

Harrington's play ain't hurting the cause either. Now, if he can win 1 or 2 majors again in 2009, WStaff will rocket into the top 5 clubs in sales.

Does Wilson have a custom order option? I have not been able to find a fitter who offers them and the info is not on their web site, and my emails have gone unanswered. :(

Thanks

Yes custom fitting is available like the other top makers.

Now, You don't have to use a Wilson Staff fitting process. If you know your specs, or saaay your Ping color code, simply order the Wilson Staffs to the same specs.