2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Wilson Staff comment

slicer365

The Nc6 are the holy grail of Wilson Staff irons! They were designed to combat the R7 CGB's, but were never released in the states for whatever reason. You can find them online, but trying to get them shipped here is next to impossible. They were originally a Japan only iron to go along with the ND6 driver in 2006. They were released in Canada and Eurpope in 2007. They never really took off, but the reviews on them are great just like everyother iron they make. Sirgolfsalot webpage had a review of the ND6 driver a while back. He compared it to the Ft-3 Fusion in both performance and feel. Go to wilsonstaff.com and click on the Europe link. The Nc6's are listed in their irons section.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've seen some good reviews of the Wilson clubs lately. I was at Edwin Watts this week and they had some Wilson trade-ins (Ci6's?). They also had some 5's and 6's new. I hit them and they felt pretty solid.

But when I asked the EW sales guy about them, he sorta made a face and said he didn't care for them and thought Wilson would pull out of golf in the near future. I know it was his opinion (I don't think he has any inside info) but it deflated any enthusiasm I had for the W/S's.

With my pitiful golf budget, the Wilsons looked good. Just may rethink it.

If you liked the way the clubs felt why would you give a rat's a** about what a EW salesman thinks?

Cuz I want to feel the luv! :clapping:

He's a decent guy but it was just conversation. Wanted to pass along and see what y'all had hear or thought.

I've liked Wilson products for a long time, used their tennis raquets, baseball gloves and their golf clubs. I still have a set of RM Midsize forged irons, which are a true classic in my view, and I still play them occasionally. I've tried the Ci7 and really liked everything about them, with one exception: the strong lofts. I really do not understand why a company would build irons that look so good and feel so good and clearly aren't meant to be beginner's clubs, yet the PW has 44* loft. I don't like it, because it really forces you to add three more wedges. I could use the forgiveness these irons provide, but I don't like it when a 9iron has the letter "P" stamped on the sole, and when I have to spend € 100 more to get a 48* wedge. And another € 150 more to get a hybrid, because the "3iron" is really a 2iron.

I see a gap. There definitely is a gap.

I've liked Wilson products for a long time, used their tennis raquets, baseball gloves and their golf clubs. I still have a set of RM Midsize forged irons, which are a true classic in my view, and I still play them occasionally. I've tried the Ci7 and really liked everything about them, with one exception: the strong lofts. I really do not understand why a company would build irons that look so good and feel so good and clearly aren't meant to be beginner's clubs, yet the PW has 44* loft. I don't like it, because it really forces you to add three more wedges. I could use the forgiveness these irons provide, but I don't like it when a 9iron has the letter "P" stamped on the sole, and when I have to spend € 100 more to get a 48* wedge. And another € 150 more to get a hybrid, because the "3iron" is really a 2iron.

Why does the 44* PW "force" you to add 3 more wedges?

And, if anything, wouldn't the fact that the 3-iron is really a 2-iron mean that you don't necessarily need a hybrid? If the 3-iron was truly a 3-iron woudn't that "force" you to get a hybrid to bridge the gap between your fairway wood and long iron?

You really have to hit a club to see how the lofts affect the flight. Many heads these days have so much weight low in the sole, if the lofts were more "traditional" the flight would be altogether too high. The Ci7's have such a design to them, so I think the effective launch angle and overall distance that you hit them would need to be determined before your could choose which wedge lofts would be needed/appropriate.

Why does the 44* PW "force" you to add 3 more wedges?

And, if anything, wouldn't the fact that the 3-iron is really a 2-iron mean that you don't necessarily need a hybrid? If the 3-iron was truly a 3-iron woudn't that "force" you to get a hybrid to bridge the gap between your fairway wood and long iron?

Well, I like to have a wedge with a higher loft than 56* in my bag. The 58* I have now works perfectly, I don't necessarily need a 60*. But with a 44* PW, that means that I would have either two 7* gaps or one 8* and one 6* gap between wedges. 6* is ok, but anything beyond that means thinking about 9/11 and 13/15 shots in the short game, which is a little bit two difficult for me.

And somehow 21* loft seems to be my final frontier when it comes to hitting irons. I had the Wilson Deep Red irons before (see how loyal I have been :clapping: ), those had the same lofts as the Ci7s have now, although they were SGI irons. Still, the 20* 3 iron was a bit of a beast.

You really have to hit a club to see how the lofts affect the flight. Many heads these days have so much weight low in the sole, if the lofts were more "traditional" the flight would be altogether too high. The Ci7's have such a design to them, so I think the effective launch angle and overall distance that you hit them would need to be determined before your could choose which wedge lofts would be needed/appropriate.

You certainly have a point there. But even with the higher flight, the PW also goes very long, so there might be more need for more wedges. Again, it was the same thing with the Deep Reds, also 44* PW. And of course, the shots had 9iron length.

But I admit, that I am only trying to rationalize here, what is more of an emotional thing, really. I just think it would be nice, if the three W/S offerings fitted perfectly into the three categories "player's" (Pi7), GI (Ci7), SGI (Di7). Therefore, I think a little weaker lofts in the Ci7 would make the Wilson product range perfect. If the Ci7 PW had 45* like the Cobra FPs or like Cally irons, they would be right where they belong. And they would be exactly in the middle between the Di7 (43*) and the Pi7 (47*).

And there's another thing. Wilson need to work on their image, especially in the US. Whereas everybody sees them as a legit, traditional clubmaker in Europe, most people under 30 in the US don't. Or at least, that's the impression I get on this forum. Look at how many reviews of Wilson products there are in the review's section here, 2 or 3 I think. And I feel that by doing things like "cheating" with lofts, Wilson do not do themselves and their history justice. And they also lead more people to think they are cheap "has-beens", who desperately try to get an edge.

I see a gap. There definitely is a gap.

The ball has changed more than iron tech has, so any tweaks in modern lofts have more to do with how the current balls react off the clubface as anything. With GI irons, generally speaking, I think the golf ball used would tend to be a two piece surlyn. (I know, generalizing, but just for the sake of discussion.) Those who lose balls probably don't want to pony up for PV1's. Surlyn balls tend to "ride up" the face more, as the grooves do not "grab" onto the cover like they do with a urethane ball. (Test it out sometime with a milled groove lob wedge and you'll see how much higher the surlyn ball comes off.) Anywho- the majority of players using a GI model are probably using a surlyn ball, and if the lofts weren't as strong as they are, the flight would likely be much higher/shorter.

I'll give credit where it is due. After taking a little break off a golf I came back to a really old set of Wilson 1200LT and really liked them. Even though they weren't the easiest thing to re-learn golf on. So when looking for a new set I looked at a bunch of different irons and the Pi5's ended up in the bag. They are very good irons IMO and the feel is also pretty good. While i'll always want to try the 'best new thing' these irons are safe for awhile. But wedges......now that's a different story :clapping: .

You are not alone. I am a six handicap and just switched from Ping G10/I10s with AWT shafts to the NC6 with V2 shafts to combat arthritic pain. The irons are beautiful to behold and perform superbly.

What are the NC6 irons?

I would love to try the new Tx4 balls, but I can't find them anywhere. The only Wilson ball that the big boxes are carrying are the Zips.

I have a Tw7 GW on the way and will follow with the SW and LW to replace my Vokeys. My only complaint of the wedges is that there aren't many loft/bounce options.

Here is the NC6 for you to ponder. I can get you a set for $498 Can + 13% tax + shipping, brand new.

It will not load for some reason.

Club Champion Custom Callaway AI Smoke 11*, Aldila Ascent 40 Gram, A Flex

Srixon F45 4-wood, 17*, Kuro Kage 606 S
TXG Custom  SIM Max 7-wood, Accra FX 140 2.0 M2

TXG Custom Cobra Tech 5-hybrid, KBS TGI 75 R
TXG Custom PXG 0211 6-pw, 1* upright, Recoil E460 R
PXG 0211 GW, 50*, (new version), UST Recoil Dart R
TXG Custom Cleveland CBX 54*, Tour Issue DG Spinner 115 

Ping Glide 4.0 58*, Nippon 115 
TXG Custom Cobra Nova, KBS CT Tour Shaft

Club Champion Custom Callaway AI Smoke 11*, Aldila Ascent 40 Gram, A Flex

Srixon F45 4-wood, 17*, Kuro Kage 606 S
TXG Custom  SIM Max 7-wood, Accra FX 140 2.0 M2

TXG Custom Cobra Tech 5-hybrid, KBS TGI 75 R
TXG Custom PXG 0211 6-pw, 1* upright, Recoil E460 R
PXG 0211 GW, 50*, (new version), UST Recoil Dart R
TXG Custom Cleveland CBX 54*, Tour Issue DG Spinner 115 

Ping Glide 4.0 58*, Nippon 115 
TXG Custom Cobra Nova, KBS CT Tour Shaft

• 2 months later...

As you can see I just joined GolfWRX. I have been reading here for some time. Recently I bought a set of Ci7 irons. They are replacing, if they pass the test, a set of X-14 pro series Callaway irons. I love the Callaway’s but I don’t play as often as I used to and need something a tick more forgiving. I choose the Ci7’s based of some internet searching and what not. Long story short I am pretty impressed. They feel really good and I can work them when I want. I do have to try harder to turn the ball where the Callaway’s needed very little encouragement to do so. The long irons are a tick shorter than the x-14’s, the middle irons are the same and the short irons a tick longer. Most of the difference is due to a slightly higher ball flight. I haven’t played much with these but am encouraged that they will take up permanent residency in my bag. I choose them for the traditional look and medium size. I was a little worried the shaft would be too soft but I think it is ok. I would compare it in between the 6.0 rifle and the 5.5 rifle. I really like the short irons. I have found more pins lately and enjoy their feel. I am currently an 11 handicap that struggles with consistency. If you shopping for a player iron with a little more forgiveness you should give these a shot!

One4

I first fell in love with the Fi-5's a couple of years ago when they were first released, I managed to pick up a new set for $350.00 this spring and they are the best combo set I have ever hit! Great visual site lines and sweet feedback!!

Wilson Staff has a hidden jem on their hands, and at a great price to boot.

Cheers from up here!

Turbs

Got me some DI7's with 54/58 tw7's and I'm hitting everything with consistnecy now and long. 19.5 Fy is on order and I'll be adding the Spine in a few weeks too.

Demo'd both CI7's and DI7's... I like the feel of the CI's but loved the weight and the fat shaft of the Di7's so I went with those.

I'm sold on the brand.

If anyone is looking for a good deal on the DI7's, Golfdiscount superstore has them for $299 shipped. Plus if you know your measurements you can call them and have them fitted for this price too.

http://www.golfdiscountsuperstore.com/wigodidiirse.html

Can't beat that!

Ping Anser 11.5
Ping G 15.5 3W
Mizuno MP-H4 2&4
Titleist 714 AP2 5-9
Scratch 8620 46/50/54/58
Ping Karsten TR Pal

While the lofts are jacked up on the CI7's (44* PW), most sets I have seen are shipped 4-GW (50* GW) so while the numbers on the clubs are wrong, you still end up with a 50* club in the set. I am strongly considering these irons, but the lofts are putting me off a bit. If they only went to a 46* PW then I could keep my current 52/56/60 wedge setup. This isnt possible with a 44-50 setup that the set is made to.

I love my DH6 22 plops down the green every time, picked one up cheap after Padraig using one in the open.

Any link to Wilson cred and Padraigs victory!

Also anybody notice the last European to win a major prior to Padraig was Lawrie using Wilson clubs!

What is a DH6 22? Their Flybird? I think Wilson is still popular in Europe. I love my Wilson putter - it is money.

I know a lot of you guys are younger, but when I first started playing golf-- before I ever got serious about it-- Wilson Staff irons were some of the very best irons you could play. Wilson Staff's had the same image as, say, Taylor Made's TP line of clubs.

MacGregor was up there, too. And they've got a solid new line out now.

I hated to see both of those brands start selling discount clubs. Now it looks like they are trying to recover from that huge mistake.

While the lofts are jacked up on the CI7's (44* PW), most sets I have seen are shipped 4-GW (50* GW) so while the numbers on the clubs are wrong, you still end up with a 50* club in the set. I am strongly considering these irons, but the lofts are putting me off a bit. If they only went to a 46* PW then I could keep my current 52/56/60 wedge setup. This isnt possible with a 44-50 setup that the set is made to.

This was a concern for me as well. I happen to need a new 52-54 degree wedge so it made the decision easier. I would have been happier with a set 3-pw. I have found that the club lofts and distances weren't that far off of my x-14 pro's. The short irons are about 5 yards longer 9-gw. I am adding a 3 iron to the set for sure and have to decide on the gw after I hit it a little more. I don't know it's distance yet. I had a large gap in distance from the pw in my Callaway set to my additional wedges. I hit the pw 135 yards and my 53 degree Cleveland (bent to 52 degrees) 120 yards. The pw in the Wilson set goes 135-140ish and the gw ends up around 124-128 (so far). I might ad a 54 degree wedge (the 52 is really worn) and be pretty happy. I have found through the years that small variations in lofts, from manufacture to manufacture don't necessarily equate to huge yardage discrepancies. The only way to know for sure is to play them.

On another note I played 9 holes last night and am still happy with the clubs. A buddy of mine played with me, hitting some shots with my irons along the way and he ordered himself a set this morning. He is replacing a set of IS3 ping irons. The clubs are pretty stinkin' impressive so far.

One4

Does 2 degrees make that much of a difference? Either carry the 50* GW that comes with the set, or bend the PW 2 degrees, drop the GW and keep your 52/56/60 setup.

I've never understood when people complain about "jacked up" irons. Honestly if I'm swinging well I find that there is very little difference between how far I hit the Ci6's and the Pi5's, especially with the shorter irons.

BillyClub, did you demo other game improvement irons besides the Di7 you can compare it to? I'm interested in upgrading irons soon and it's between the Nickent 3DX, TM R7, and the Di7 but I haven't been able to demo the Di7 anywhere.

I think one of the main items Wilson Staff needs to do to get their brand noticed more is actually participate in demo days. I've never seen WS in any So. Cal demo days I've attended in the last two years where every manufacturer I've heard of has come up. Heck I've been able to demo smaller brands such as Fourteen, Hippo, Sonartec, etc. before even seeing Wilson.

Got me some DI7's with 54/58 tw7's and I'm hitting everything with consistnecy now and long. 19.5 Fy is on order and I'll be adding the Spine in a few weeks too.

Demo'd both CI7's and DI7's... I like the feel of the CI's but loved the weight and the fat shaft of the Di7's so I went with those.

I'm sold on the brand.

If anyone is looking for a good deal on the DI7's, Golfdiscount superstore has them for $299 shipped. Plus if you know your measurements you can call them and have them fitted for this price too.

http://www.golfdiscountsuperstore.com/wigodidiirse.html

Can't beat that!

BillyClub, did you demo other game improvement irons besides the Di7 you can compare it to? I'm interested in upgrading irons soon and it's between the Nickent 3DX, TM R7, and the Di7 but I haven't been able to demo the Di7 anywhere.

Yeah, TM r7, Nike Slingshot OSS, Cobra S9, Cleveland Hibore, Mizuno's GI irons not sure of the model and Ping G5.

Wasn't happy with the TM or Nike at all. Clev, Cobra, & mizuno were ok. Choice narrowed between the Ping's and the DI7. Then took another round with each... and thought the W/S was the best hands down. Nice mid-high ball flight with a nice little ending fade. Barely felt like I was hitting the ball and they were just taking off right at my target.

Just to let you know how much they impressed me... I'm 30 and was a total brand snob before playing with TM irons, r7 Driver, Clev wedges, and Ping putter and thought Wilson was a Kmart type brand and chuckled when I saw people hitting them. Boy was I a pompous a**! I'm sold on the brand now.

These guys put on the demo day at my range so I bought them from them and they have the best price I've found.

http://www.golfdiscountsuperstore.com/wigodidiirse.html best price I've found

For demo days check wilson's site here:

http://www.wilson.com/wilson/staff/choice....;bmLocale=en_GB

Ping Anser 11.5
Ping G 15.5 3W
Mizuno MP-H4 2&4
Titleist 714 AP2 5-9
Scratch 8620 46/50/54/58
Ping Karsten TR Pal

I just purchased a set of ci7s and while i haven't had a chance to play with them, i have had one range session and they are super forgiving and long. . . nice club, minimal offset for game improvement, and the custom order was at my doorstep within 4 days. . . very impressed with Wilson Staff. . .i'll put up in a review of the clubs in a month or so. . .

IMO, the best way for wilson to get recognized is to go to all the college guys and start giving them endorsements once they graduate. Targeting the young and upcoming generation of PGA players is the only way in my mind that Wilson will be able to get back to their glory days

I respectfully have to disagree on this opinion. I am not doubting the logic, but that is also a good way to end up back in the "discount" pile of clubs. Wilson has been strong in the European markets and shall continue to do so in the next generations to come. In my opinion, they should continue to build on what the have until they gather a strong enough foundation (probably another year or so) and then look into grabbing Nationwide and Senior staffers (Adams way of making a legacy, anyone?). Then if that goes through with no major snafus look into the younger markets such as college grads and those looking to really go for the top areas of golf.

Titleist TS2, 9.5, Tensei AV Series Blue 55
Titleist 917 F2, 16.5, Diamana LTD M+ Red 60
Titleist 818 H1, 23, Tensei Red AMC
Titleist 718 AP2's, 5-PW, AMT White S300
Vokey SM7, Tour Chrome, 50 (F), 54 (M), and 58 (D)
Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 1.5
Ball choice: ProV1x

Hey, I also stream! Check it out if you want! https://www.twitch.tv/scottwsmith

To those of you with CI7's, how are the TX105 shafts? Looking at the specs, they seem to be a flighted DGSL. If these shafts are good, it may push me more towards Staff since I wont have to reshaft.

I have the TX-105 shaft and I love it. Dont really know what to compare it too but I love everything about the club including the Golf Pride grips although im going to switch to a softer grip soon.