2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Playing driver shaft that is too stiff

BJG718

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm playing a Graphite Design Purple Ice 75x in my Nike Sumo2. I think its too stiff. Ballflight is pretty low. Misses are high blocks and LOWWW pull hooks. Misses are much more common. I have a feeling its because I may not be able to feel the shaft load?

What you're describing is typical of a shaft that's too stiff.

Did you pick this up on the BST? It's time to cash that thing in man... put it back up and find something that fits. What driver did you come from?

Of course, you could try putting a ton of lead tape on the head and seeing if it'd improve. That's a sloppy fix and I'd doubt it would do a thing.. but you're kinda at a loss and looking for help, right?

misses should technically happen less with a stiffer shaft, and dispersion should actually be better, however, you won't have enough spin to keep the ball in the air, which will really cut down your carry and also give you a low flight.

now, if your jacking up your tempo and trying to swing harder, then I can see how you might miss more. in the end, its tough to generalize exactly what will happen with a shaft that's to stiff for everyone. I know that my new setup has been a tough change, because I can't feel the shaft and impact feels dead. but thats because its a high kick shaft that plays stiffer than my last setup. I deal with it though, because I'm getting a little more carry and WAY more roll (like 30 yards compared to 5 with my last setup).

misses should technically happen less with a stiffer shaft, and dispersion should actually be better, however, you won't have enough spin to keep the ball in the air, which will really cut down your carry and also give you a low flight.

now, if your jacking up your tempo and trying to swing harder, then I can see how you might miss more. in the end, its tough to generalize exactly what will happen with a shaft that's to stiff for everyone. I know that my new setup has been a tough change, because I can't feel the shaft and impact feels dead. but thats because its a high kick shaft that plays stiffer than my last setup. I deal with it though, because I'm getting a little more carry and WAY more roll (like 30 yards compared to 5 with my last setup).

my swing speed is right on the border of S and X. i went X because i figured itd lower spin and tighten dispersion. i just cant seem to feel it load or turn it over like i can a softer flex. my best shots with it are 3 yard cuts that are long and run forever. but they are much less common than a TERRIBLE high push slice or low wormburning pull hook.

Definitely sounds too stiff. If you want to check - add a BUNCH of lead tape to the head - 12" of 1/2" tape or more, and grip down a full inch. if the problem's better then it's too stiff a shaft (the weight has effectively softened the shaft). PI is a pretty stout shaft in the higher weights and that's a control head anyway - something lighter and livelier might work out really well

2017 M2/Matrix Ozik F6M2
Cally XHP 15°/Altus or 3Deep/Striper H2
Cobra F8 4-5/F7M2
Cally XHP23/Altus hb or Cally X-Prototype 24°/Program 95
6-GW Cobra Forged One Length on flighted Matrix Program 95 OR MP-H4 ON PROGRAM F15
Scratch D/D wedges
Bettinardi QB3

my swing speed is right on the border of S and X. i went X because i figured itd lower spin and tighten dispersion. i just cant seem to feel it load or turn it over like i can a softer flex. my best shots with it are 3 yard cuts that are long and run forever. but they are much less common than a TERRIBLE high push slice or low wormburning pull hook.

I hear you. one of my best driving rounds was with a demo L4V F with a stiff shaft. that thing felt like a noodle, but all that feel helped me slow down and feel the swing. as long as I didn't really go after it, I had great results.

I've heard most people on the borderline between 2 flexes have better results going with the more flexible shaft, because they don't feel like they have to go after it all the time. . .they can pull back a bit and still have good results. of course, we're all different, but thats what I've seen.

Those are my misses with an X flex to a T, I might as well have wrote that ... I never learned my lesson, tried 3 of them, Speeder 757, CompNT and Accuflex Creation. I'm now playing a Speeder 757 Stiff flex and it's working great. My SS was 107-109 last I was on a monitor, got it up to 112 on a few. On the course it's more like the 107 swing max though. I'd recommend trying a heavier weight S flex.

Try REALLY relaxing when you start your downswing. Try to just bump one out there 150 yards and see how far it goes. I play an X and when my friends try to hit it they always try to put too much into the swing to start with and tie themselves up. When I get them to try these things they can usually swing it even with swing speeds slower than yours. Typically when they try to "just bump one out there 150" it goes 250.

edited to add: You still have to do a complete swing and accelerate the clubhead throught the ball but those who I've seen trying to start the swing too hard are tensing up too much to get a good release. It's clubhead speed through the ball you want, not hand speed through the swing. Of course you do have to have the muscle to accomplish the swing. Try to get the biggest crack of the whip through the ball without tension in the swing. It's of course entirely possible that the shaft is too stiff but I haven't seen an athletic guy yet who can hit the ball that I haven't been able to get a good swing out of with my driver.

My biggest shot dispersals were before I figured out I was swinging a club that wasn't stiff enough.

I think that it sounds too stiff.... thats in my opinion... BUT! How old are you? If your young then theres a chance theres some more muscle to come...

Also how tall are you, swinging out of your shoes is never good, if your tall you can take it easier but if your a little shorter you have to work a little harder...

Projamie

im 22 yrs old, 6'2", 155 lbs., and athletic. i may try to reshaft w/ a PI75s instead. i want to give this head one more try. i have consistency issues with driver and the X shaft isn't helping. i thought it might, but oh well. i just checked and Graphite design has the shaft listed for 116+ mph swing speed. yikes!

Try REALLY relaxing when you start your downswing. Try to just bump one out there 150 yards and see how far it goes. I play an X and when my friends try to hit it they always try to put too much into the swing to start with and tie themselves up. When I get them to try these things they can usually swing it even with swing speeds slower than yours. Typically when they try to "just bump one out there 150" it goes 250.

edited to add: You still have to do a complete swing and accelerate the clubhead throught the ball but those who I've seen trying to start the swing too hard are tensing up too much to get a good release. It's clubhead speed through the ball you want, not hand speed through the swing. Of course you do have to have the muscle to accomplish the swing. Try to get the biggest crack of the whip through the ball without tension in the swing. It's of course entirely possible that the shaft is too stiff but I haven't seen an athletic guy yet who can hit the ball that I haven't been able to get a good swing out of with my driver.

My biggest shot dispersals were before I figured out I was swinging a club that wasn't stiff enough.

Ahmen!!! I did the same thing and it took a few balls to get the rhythm to hit the 150 then ramped it up from there and viola...big ugly push was gone and back to my fade ball after ball...

Ken

Hmm...Today the bag will be...<br /><br />Cobra F9 or Ping 400 LST<br /><br />F9 w/ HZRD Yellow or 16* 3446-f-Matrix 8M2<br /><br />Cobra Baffler w/ HZRD<br /><br />Machine M2A Long Neck SS Copper Insert Hand Peened<br /><br />Mizuno MP-55 & MP-5 w/ SF 110 CW<br /><br />SRIXON 765/965 5-PW w SF i95 Stiff