2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Ernie Els working with Butch Harmon

Seems it's true...saw the photo
Few days ago I saw the topic in the forum said Els working with Butch Harmon. I thought it was not the thing. Ernie has worked with DL for so many years. But, I just saw the photos that Ernie with with Butch. I don't know it's only for the Masters or not....but it's big thing I guess!!!
We can see here that now so many stars go to Butch for asking advice!!!!!

Many of you in US can comment on this....

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TGC reported yesterday that Ernie has asked Butch for his opinion. Leadbetter gave the idea his blessing.

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Mizuno OMOI Type 3

Titleist Pro V1x

I just watched Ernie's press conference and he went as far as to say that he broke the news to Leadbetter on the phone that he was going to work with Butch and that, "He and Lead would remain friends..."

He made it sound like it was alot more than just getting Butch's opinion. I guess that makes it pretty official...

Driver: Callaway ROGUE w/Tour AD Di-6
3w & 5w: Callaway Epic Sub Zero w/Tour AD Di-7
4h: Callaway Epic
5-PW: Callaway Apex MB '18
Wedges: 50* & 54* Mack Daddy 4, 60* Mizuno T7
Putter: Taylormade Tour Spider
Ball: Taylormade TP5x

Is that a Medicus leaning up against Ernie's bag in that picture?

[color=#0000cd][b]Callaway Rogue SZ 10.5* w/ Kuro Kage 60 TX[/b]
[b]TM M1 15* w/ Kuro Kage 70 TX[/b]
[b]TM M1 19* w/ Kuro Kage 70 TX[/b]
[b]Mizuno MP-5 4-PW w/ PX LZ 6.0[/b]
[b]Vokey TVD 52* and 56* w/ PX LZ 6.0[/b]
[b]TM Hi-Toe 60* w/ PX LZ 6.0[/b]
[b]Scotty Cameron Oil Can 009[/b][/color]

I saw the presser from the Masters today as well. He made it sound like after 20 years with Lead he just wanted some fresh ideas from a different point of view. Reading into it further though it seems as though Ernie and Butch are about to strike up quite the partnership.

Good spot on the Medicus. Ernie must be a fan of Mark O'Meara infomercials!

This will be very interesting to see how it pans out.

Lets see if Buch can rid Ernie of his dreaded 2 way miss and get the club going back on plane as opposed to this in and up takeaway that Ernie has been using which gets him out of synch and causes him to have to lift the club up plane with the arms and then shallow the shaft stall and hit inside out with the hands and arms....I for one hope that this works out for him he is truly a lovely guy and has got so much talent.....under pressure we will see if he is better than he was before lets hope he is.

Cheers Dan

http://sports.yahoo.com/golf/pga/news?slug...p&type=lgns

"Asked what he was looking to change, Els pointed to improving his posture, shortening his backswing and getting the upper and lower parts of his body more in rhythm.

“My hips were really turning too much and my shoulder, everything was kind of collapsing at the top,” he said. “I’m quite a flexible guy, but swinging that long, I get out of sync with my lower body and upper, so I needed to stabilize that and shorten my backswing a little bit, and really get the club out in front of me.”

"Asked what he was looking to change, Els pointed to improving his posture, shortening his backswing and getting the upper and lower parts of his body more in rhythm.

“My hips were really turning too much and my shoulder, everything was kind of collapsing at the top,” he said. “I’m quite a flexible guy, but swinging that long, I get out of sync with my lower body and upper, so I needed to stabilize that and shorten my backswing a little bit, and really get the club out in front of me.”

\

I don't know much about what Harmon teaches, but each time it seems to be reported he is trying to shorten a players backs wing. Is that his cure? If so, I don't see Couples, Mickelson, Daly with shorter back swings? Dunno if that is just what the media puts out there? Seems to me most of these guys just get out of synch. Heck I am not sure what he did when Tiger made that first change with him?

I would be interested for those in the know of Harmon's teaching to weigh in. :russian_roulette:

Bridgestone J33R speeder 652X
Titleist 910f 15 diamana kai'li s
Ping G30 5 wood S tour spec
Ping G30 7 wood S tour spec
Mizuno MP 37 s300 P-3
Wishon 575 mmc cavity P-4 Aerotech I95 moi'd
Callaway Mac Daddy 2 tg 54° 60°
Scotty Cameron black studio design I 2001 (stolen haven't found replacement)

I just watched Ernie's press conference and he went as far as to say that he broke the news to Leadbetter on the phone that he was going to work with Butch and that, "He and Lead would remain friends..."

He made it sound like it was alot more than just getting Butch's opinion. I guess that makes it pretty official...

They'd better remain friends, they live 4 doors down from each other, and DL has to drive by Ernie's house when coming to or from his own house..

Not anymore. Ernie sold his house at Lake Nona last year and is moving into the Bear's Club in North Palm Beach

\

I don't know much about what Harmon teaches, but each time it seems to be reported he is trying to shorten a players backs wing. Is that his cure? If so, I don't see Couples, Mickelson, Daly with shorter back swings? Dunno if that is just what the media puts out there? Seems to me most of these guys just get out of synch. Heck I am not sure what he did when Tiger made that first change with him?

I would be interested for those in the know of Harmon's teaching to weigh in. :russian_roulette:

MOP, Harmon is nowhere near the best/most knowledgable TEACHER in golf.......but he is one of he best COACHES in golf.......that's why I have no problem with him being listed as numero uno on the lists......and with Els, IMOP his current swing isn't all that far from being one of the best of ALL TIME.....we'll see what happens under ole' Butch's tutelage......but, as a COACH he's one of the best in the game......IMOP......... :clapping:

\

MOP, Harmon is nowhere near the best/most knowledgable TEACHER in golf.......but he is one of he best COACHES in golf.......that's why I have no problem with him being listed as numero uno on the lists......and with Els, IMOP his current swing isn't all that far from being one of the best of ALL TIME.....we'll see what happens under ole' Butch's tutelage......but, as a COACH he's one of the best in the game......IMOP......... :clapping:

Eww really? I always thougth hes got a nasty bow-wristed flip. What is so good that you like besides tempo?

what is the source that Ernie is moving to Bears Club?

Driver Srixon ZX7 10.5* Tensai Blue 44.5 inches
3W: ZX Fairway 15* Rogue 70s
Hybrids: ZX Hybrid 3/4 Smoke Black 6.0 
Irons: ZX5 4 iron, ZX7 5-PW, Modus 120 2* upright, + 1/2 inch S300
Wedges: 52* RTX ZipCore RAW, RTX Full Face Black Tour Satin 58* DG Spinner Wedge Flex
Putter: FrontLine Elevado 35 inches

\

Eww really? I always thougth hes got a nasty bow-wristed flip. What is so good that you like besides tempo?

He has many things that are desirable........beautiful grip......great rhythm and timing (has to right now)......swings the club AROUND his body very well.......beautiful core rotation (till it slows and the arms/club sling on by :drinks:).......IMOP, in 6 months he could have one of the best of all time........but, he's got several things to eliminate/ingrain, but, none of them are really all that hard to do and the work the needs to do is nowhere NEAR what Norman/Faldo, etc. had to do to improve/rebuild their swings........he doesn't need a "rebuild," he needs a bunch of "tidying up"........and that's not that big a deal if the person has the right attitude, 100% TOTAL UNDERSTANDING of what needs to be done and WHY, and 100% total commitment to making the necessary changes....... :cheesy:

Ernie does have some absolutely awesome parts to his golf swing and has got one of the most beautiful ryhtms to ever grace our game.........IMOP he does not need a rebuild but does need to alter his takeaway and get rid of the in and up backswing and this will allow him to release the club beautifully. :russian_roulette:

I truly believe that Ernie does have the right attitude and necessary comitment to make it work and I for one hopes that he does as he id a great amabasador to our game and is one of the nicest guys you could ever wich to meet.

Slicefixer made a great point, and Harmon has come right out and said it too in a PGA Seminar. There is a point where you stop teaching (Tour players) and you are COACHING. I mean c'mon, what are you going to "teach" Els, Mickelson, et al. that they dont already know in some form? Butch Harmon said on Wednesday (?) at the Masters that he is coaching the same things that Leadbetter was teaching Els, but it's just being said in a different way; maybe it's that fresh approach that will help Els.

Harmon likes to get the arms in front of the body, synced together. Ergo, the shorter backswing. With Phil, it started by having both feet parallel instead of flared out. He is already flexible in the hips, so this helped tightened up the long backswing. Nobilo pointed this out late last year on TGC. Couples (read last month's Golf Digest) noted that the club doesnt go back on the outside anymore, which caused that looping at the top for him. He is no longer way across the line to the right at the top.

Harmon is actually a great teacher because he focuses solely on the fundamentals of the proper set up and stance, etc. This is for the average golfer.

How do you explain Natalie Gulbis? Well, not that she's conventional, but if you see her swing from 5-7 years ago, and see it now, there is definite improvement in the fundamentals.