2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

The new Sumo 2 Tour is the BOMB!!!! w/ PICS

golfware

pics added as of 4-30-08
Oh man, I will elaborate on the demo days further in another post, but I was so excited about this new driver, that I HAD to post this topic.

Wow.

I tested & got fitted for the following drivers BEFORE I hit the new Sumo 2 Square TOUR:

- 8.5* Callaway FT-i LCG w/ Xconn 6 stiff
- 7.5* 907D2 w/ V2 76 stiff at 44.5"
- 7.5* PING G10 w/ TFC X-flex
- 8.5* Tour Burner TP w/ Whiteboard 65 X flex.

And I also hit the 9.5* Adams XTD Pro DF w/ YSQ 65 stiff (more on this later).

So, I was GOOD and ready when I hit the Sumo 2 Tour. In fact, I was positively jazzed about the 8.5* Tour Burner TP w/ Whiteboadd 65 X when I walked over to the Nike Tour Van. They had EVERYTHING! Nike WILL dominate the retail fitting system. No questions. Their fitting system is 2nd to none, and I felt like a Touring Professional while going through the process.

I first hit the 8.5* Sumo Square Tour with a Diamana Blueboard 83 stiff. My first shot was WHOA. shocking Dead STRAIGHT at my target. 0 side spin. My next shot was like SH!T shocking shocking DEAD STRAIGHT again at my target.

My fitter thought I had a tad too much spin with the Blueboard 83 so he grabbed an Epic 68 X and off I went. MAN, this shaft is STIFF! FIRM feel but not boardy. The first shot went right. I then focused all of my energy like Bruce Lee into my swing. BAM. shocking DEAD STRAIGHT, but fellas, I HAD to work hard. Like 110% hard. Too much.

After a few swings, he switches the X flex out for a Stiff, untipped. Mind you, he also had a stiff tipped an 1" available, but the Epic is on stout shaft.

Right away, DAMN! DEAD STRAIGHT! shocking shocking One after the other. Just point and shoot. My numbers would have been in the 14-16* LA and with about 2400-2600 rpm's of spin, if that. WOW!

The Sumo 2 Square Tour puts some POP on the ball too. Wow! I just left inspired and my jaw was still on the floor.

The face is a bit deeper on the Sumo 2 Tour than the std Sumo 5900. It's also a bit more compact, with the CG being shoved more upfront to provide a more penetrating, low spin ballflight. And it works!!

Nike IS the Truth, as least for me it is. My Adams XTD Pro order has been canceled, and I'll be driving the Nike Bandwagon. It IS that good.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My club started carrying Nike last year but it was not a big hit. This year they got the fitting cart and wow!!!!. Yesterday morning I had a lesson with my pro and we started talking about the nike fitting system. I am a mizuno man but ended up making a few purchases yesterday. I started with the square 5900 but just could not get past the sound. I then went to the tour version and i had very good resuts wth the blue board and the PL red. I usually hit a draw but these were straight and really long. I then went to the sumo 5000 and tries 6 shafts and ended up with the V2 in 9.5. The results were amazing. Long with a mid ball flight and a slight draw. I ended up with a 3 wood as well. I am trying the hybrids today. They are getting the iron heads next week and i will try them as well. The fitting system and the clus are awsome.

I just got my Nike Sumo 5000 with a Aldila VSP65 and I love it! I am not usually a Nike guy as I previously used the Coba XSpeed but after using the fitting system I was sold on this driver. Surprisingly I chose this over the Cobra L4V and the Taylormade Buner TP....who would have thought? Like others I could not get past the sound of the sumo 5900 and it was tougher to work....not to mention it didn't exactly look pretty at setup

SUMO 5000 = LONG and STRAIGHT, but still workable....super combination

-

Solid review! I ordered Sumo2 Tour with Epic 68 stiff, it landed last week and I sold it on eBay this week....

Here is the why: Low spin head with low spin shaft = short low drives for me.

After trying the head with V2, VS Proto and Blueboard the last shaft I wanted to hit that wasn't available to try was the Epic, but on paper it seemed like the best fit for me. WRONG, way to much shaft for my 104mph swing speed... this setup could not come close to my 5000 with the NV75.

It was a fun experiment, but it really did make me love my 5000 that much more.... it really is a beast for me!

Last driver I want to try this year is the Tour Burner TP with Whiteboard, hit a reps "sample" a month ago and can't seem to get that thing out of my head...... ;)

PING G430 Max 10K Driver 8º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 5

PING G430 Max 3 Wood 14º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 6

Titleist TSr2 5 Wood 18º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 7

Titleist TSr2 7 Wood 21º ~ GD Tour AD-XC 8

Srixon ZX4 Mk II Irons 5–7 ~ Project X IO 6.0

Srixon ZX5 Mk II Irons 8–P ~ Project X IO 6.0

Vokey Design SM9 Raw Wedges 'Voke' Handground 50.12F • 56.08M • 62.08M ~ Project X 6.0
Odyssey  Tri-Hot 5K Three ~ BGT Stability Tour 2 Polar
Titleist Pro V1x ~ #12

Solid review! I ordered Sumo2 Tour with Epic 68 stiff, it landed last week and I sold it on eBay this week....

Here is the why: Low spin head with low spin shaft = short low drives for me.

After trying the head with V2, VS Proto and Blueboard the last shaft I wanted to hit that wasn't available to try was the Epic, but on paper it seemed like the best fit for me. WRONG, way to much shaft for my 104mph swing speed... this setup could not come close to my 5000 with the NV75.

It was a fun experiment, but it really did make me love my 5000 that much more.... it really is a beast for me!

Last driver I want to try this year is the Tour Burner TP with Whiteboard, hit a reps "sample" a month ago and can't seem to get that thing out of my head...... ;)

That's the beauty of my fitting at Haggin Oaks. I got to hit both the Diamana Blueboard and the Epic. The Epic left me speechless... dropped my spin even further and the 8.5* really brought my launch down. Oh man, I can't wait to get it on the course. I went back again to hit it after cooling off. What a great combo.

I will NEVER again order a head/shaft combo without hitting it first. Glad I hit the XTD Pro/YSQ. That combo just wasn't for me.

I also have a 105mph swingspeed, and it works perfect. Go figure.

Ordered mine through Carl's Golf Land in Bloomfield Hills Michigan.

PING G430 Max 10K Driver 8º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 5

PING G430 Max 3 Wood 14º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 6

Titleist TSr2 5 Wood 18º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 7

Titleist TSr2 7 Wood 21º ~ GD Tour AD-XC 8

Srixon ZX4 Mk II Irons 5–7 ~ Project X IO 6.0

Srixon ZX5 Mk II Irons 8–P ~ Project X IO 6.0

Vokey Design SM9 Raw Wedges 'Voke' Handground 50.12F • 56.08M • 62.08M ~ Project X 6.0
Odyssey  Tri-Hot 5K Three ~ BGT Stability Tour 2 Polar
Titleist Pro V1x ~ #12

Pics added....

I was hoping it had the glossy black finish instead of the satin. Oh well, if it works I'm sure I'd get used to it, but to me the satin finish (on woods, not irons) looks cheaper.

Adams 9015D 10.5 Matrix Ozik
TM M2 Deep Face 3HL Fuji Atmos 6
Callaway Apex 20 Steelfiber hls780
Adams Pro Mini 23 Steelfiber i95
Adams A12 Pro Black 5-9PW Steelfiber i95
Adams CB2 GW Steelfiber i95
Vokey SM6 Black 54 S-Grind Steelfiber i110 CW
Vokey Oil Can 58 V-Grind Kuro Kage TiNi 105
Scotty Cameron Pro Plat Newport Mil Spec

It's not how fast you play, it's how well you play fast!

Pics added....

I was hoping it had the glossy black finish instead of the satin. Oh well, if it works I'm sure I'd get used to it, but to me the satin finish (on woods, not irons) looks cheaper.

I thought the same thing too... until I hit it.

Man, it left me speechless. The gloosy black finish is sweet, but the satin has grown on me.

It's so straight that it's like cheating. Then, the spin is low and the ball hits the ground running like it stole something.

SUPER SUPER SUPER to talk to you today golfware !!!!!!!!!!!! 23_30_116.gif23_30_116.gif ... Enjoyed the chat

I called Mr. golfware to advise him that his thread was haunting me and that adding the pics had finally pushed me over the edge.

That is one FINE MOFO !!!!!!!!!! headbang.gifgandalf.gif

SO.... Mine will be here on Friday - I called my crack-dealer at Edwin Watts phonesmiley2.gif and told him - GET IT HERE ASAP AT ANY COST !!!!!!!!!

They did not have the shaft I wanted - so mine will be here with a ladies flex for all I care - and a brand new Protopype 80X will be Friday as well - The beatdown will be FIRST THING Saturday am

DAMN YOU golfware ... I had myself in check - Down to 2 kinds of drivers L4s & my Nike 5000 .... bbbbuutttttt nnnnoooooooooooo ... You had to turn the screws didn't ya 1_4_126.gif .....

I CAN'T WAIT !!!!!!!! ... I'll post my pics etc & review on this thread

DAMN .... I was doing so good shots.gifshots.gif

SUPER SUPER SUPER to talk to you today golfware !!!!!!!!!!!! 23_30_116.gif23_30_116.gif ... Enjoyed the chat

I called Mr. golfware to advise him that his thread was haunting me and that adding the pics had finally pushed me over the edge.

That is one FINE MOFO !!!!!!!!!! headbang.gifgandalf.gif

SO.... Mine will be here on Friday - I called my crack-dealer at Edwin Watts phonesmiley2.gif and told him - GET IT HERE ASAP AT ANY COST !!!!!!!!!

They did not have the shaft I wanted - so mine will be here with a ladies flex for all I care - and a brand new Protopype 80X will be Friday as well - The beatdown will be FIRST THING Saturday am

DAMN YOU golfware ... I had myself in check - Down to 2 kinds of drivers L4s & my Nike 5000 .... bbbbuutttttt nnnnoooooooooooo ... You had to turn the screws didn't ya 1_4_126.gif .....

I CAN'T WAIT !!!!!!!! ... I'll post my pics etc & review on this thread

DAMN .... I was doing so good shots.gifshots.gif

Oh yeah.. it's ;) ;)

GREAT to talk with you as well. It's always super to finally get a chance to chat over the phone. That's for sure.

Oh man, you are going to love this baby!! LOVE IT! I can see a new "love" thread starting... :cheesy: :cheesy:

The honeymoon period is in full effect, although it got off to a shaky start due to a piss poor swing at the start.

I was hitting balls at Harding Park on Friday afternoon. Nice day, upper 50's, light wind off and on.

I started hitting my wedges and irons, and was working on a swing change that the Nike fitter saw in my swing. Less hands, more body rotation into a full release to the left side.

Anyways, I started out hitting drives with my old swing, and first thing I noticed right off the bat... LOW launch. I LOVED it. Although I was using my hands way too much and hitting some draws that I couldn't control.

So, back to the basics with the new swing change... and presto!!

Straight. Low launch, mid-high trajectory and as flat as a pancake!! I was so impressed I nearly shed a tear! Wow. I can't wait to get it on the course, because I know this setup is going to do some damage!! I was hitting into the back of the net at Harding Park on the fly, in mid flight, and nearly flew over the net on two drives if they would have been a touch higher.

I'm so excited.

I got a Sumo square tour 9.5 with a Diamana blue 83 S. 1st round out today Im impresssed. Hit 13 of 14 fws, and had a great trajectory mid high flat almost a dead straight ball. Not once did I fear a hook yet it didnt hang right either. I have alot of confidence in this club. If I get the same results tomorrow I will put it into play in a big tournament monday. It might be the best balanced neutral club I ever hit.

Guys, im sitting here reading all the postives about the square tour.... ive played with the sq tour 8.5 with v2 76x for about 2 years now....better yet the face cracked cple days ago. so i will be needing a driver.....ive always had the pear shape driver, mainly so it allows me to work the ball. ive heard from some players that the square is too straight....but i just realized if i want to shape the ball i'll just go to 3 wood which is my 275 club off the tee. anyways, ive yet to see (in person) nor get fit on the 360 fittting system...here in canada we have to wait for a good thing, we will be getting it anyday now though and man am i PUMPED!!!! what should i expect, what shafts should i mainly be focused on....b/c the thing i hate about the fitting carts we have today (selecfit, and optifit) is the limited number of X-shafts.....im a high spin player, 115-120 swing speed, will the nike have the right shafts for me???? or do i have to guess at shafts like ive been doing for 4 years...for once i want to get fit properly and get this shaft business out of my head....

Guys, im sitting here reading all the postives about the square tour.... ive played with the sq tour 8.5 with v2 76x for about 2 years now....better yet the face cracked cple days ago. so i will be needing a driver.....ive always had the pear shape driver, mainly so it allows me to work the ball. ive heard from some players that the square is too straight....but i just realized if i want to shape the ball i'll just go to 3 wood which is my 275 club off the tee. anyways, ive yet to see (in person) nor get fit on the 360 fittting system...here in canada we have to wait for a good thing, we will be getting it anyday now though and man am i PUMPED!!!! what should i expect, what shafts should i mainly be focused on....b/c the thing i hate about the fitting carts we have today (selecfit, and optifit) is the limited number of X-shafts.....im a high spin player, 115-120 swing speed, will the nike have the right shafts for me???? or do i have to guess at shafts like ive been doing for 4 years...for once i want to get fit properly and get this shaft business out of my head....

Nike had nearly every shaft known to man to try out. The only exception was the Diamana Whiteboard. With a swingspeed of 115-120, and high spin, you'll LOVE the Sumo 2 Tour/Epic X. Oh man, Low launch, mid-high trajectory and flat as a pancake. Oh man, it's the best of everything.

I tried the Blueboard 83 in it as well, and it was superb. Straight as a ruler. Whoa nelly!!

I got a Sumo square tour 9.5 with a Diamana blue 83 S. 1st round out today Im impresssed. Hit 13 of 14 fws, and had a great trajectory mid high flat almost a dead straight ball. Not once did I fear a hook yet it didnt hang right either. I have alot of confidence in this club. If I get the same results tomorrow I will put it into play in a big tournament monday. It might be the best balanced neutral club I ever hit.

Welcome to the Sumo 2 Tour Club!!

It's an awesome club ain't it!! :yes: :yes:

I just got fitted for this driver. It's really, really nice. Settled on an 8.5 degree with Diamana Blueboard Stiff 63g. I placed the order through Discount Dans Golf. Awesome Price!!!!! Backordered Until July 15th on all blueboards. So dissapointed. It's very hard for me to be patient after i was just piping them straight and long one after another. Have to just hope that it comes in early.