2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Golf Digest Japan Names OnOff Irons of the Year

May 14, 2008

Golf Digest Japan Names Daiwa ONOFF 'Irons of the Year'

CERRITOS, Calif. - Delivering artistic form, function and high-performance, Daiwa Golf Company (USA) proudly announces that the all-new ONOFF irons have been named "2008 Irons of the Year" by Golf Digest Japan.

Built on revolutionary ideas and performance, Daiwa's new ONOFF irons introduce a unique blend of form and function which deliver high-performance golf clubs for golfers with a flair for style.

"The ONOFF irons are among the best game-improvement irons on the market today, and we're proud to have been awarded '2008 Iron of the Year' by Golf Digest Japan," says Mike Matheny, general manager of sales for Daiwa Golf Company (USA). "But while the ONOFF irons deliver superior performance, they also make a strong style statement that is similar to owning a Rolex or a Ferrari. Today, golf equipment is a lot more than just as a means to a better golf game."

Providing more forgiveness for average golfers who want to show off above-average style in their golf game, the premium OnOff irons by Daiwa Seiko feature new triple-cavity construction that allows for a much wider cavity area and greater perimeter weighting, thus creating a larger sweet spot for more forgiveness.

The stainless steel iron also incorporates a super wide tungsten weight and a 'Hyper Effect' clubface design. The large tungsten weight supports the entire lower sole of the clubhead, delivering an ultra-low center of gravity and producing a higher launch angle. The unique L-shaped design of the clubface creates an enlarged 'bending area' which improves ball performance off the face, accelerates ball velocity and generates greater carry distance.

Daiwa's unique 'Smooth Kick' graphite shaft features a four-layer, multi-ply design that produces explosive power, and includes a tungsten-filled tip for perfect balance the club and ideal swingweight. Wound with a tight geometrical pattern, the shaft is perfectly balanced and torque consistent from tip to butt. This shaft is not just intended to have great driving distance, but also to seek the best possible feel from the club. The shaft includes a tungsten filled tip to balance the club and provide an ideal swing weight for its player, particularly for iron clubs. Flex options are R- and S-flex. MSRP (Set 5i-PW) $1,350. Also available with Nippon steel shaft.

"All ONOFF clubs are engineered for performance," adds Matheny, "yet we are also meeting the demand of discriminating golfers who desire a sense of individuality and personal style in their game."

Providing performance for low- to high-handicap golfers, the ONOFF brand presents some of the most exciting equipment coming out of the Asian market, including bags, balls, apparel and a full line of drivers, fairway woods, hybrids and irons. For more information on OnOff Plus drivers, contact Daiwa Golf Company (USA) at 562.623.6737 or visit www.onoff-golf.com.

Headquartered in Cerritos, Calif., Daiwa Golf Company (USA) is the exclusive distributor for the world-renowned golf club manufacturer Daiwa Seiko Japan, Golf Division. Daiwa has been a premium golf equipment manufacturer for more than 35 years, and the popularity of its OnOff and GIII brands is increasing worldwide. For more information on Daiwa Golf Company (USA) or Daiwa products, call 562.623.6737 or visit www.onoff-golf.com.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the news... having some OnOFF clubs in the bag, I can't say that I am surprised, but I am happy to see them getting some more recognition.

Kyle..I totally agree. Although they're not the most well known or most easily available clubs, I'm glad to see that those of us who have tried and own sets, drivers, fw's and hybrids from OnOff have something to cheer about. :)

• 2 months later...

Pitbull or K2, how soft of a forging would you rate the onoff plus irons. Also what do you like about them and what don't you like about them. I know they have tungsten in the soles of the clubs to get the ball up higher especially the longer irons, how is the trajectory with them. I tend to hit the ball high at times and don't want a set of irons that balloon on me. I really think they are some of the best looking irons I have seen in a long time. If they are a good set of sticks I might pick up a set to go with the new onoff driver and 3 wood I ordered. Thanks for any help you can give and take care.

Is this the iron Golf Digest-Japan chose?:

http://www.onoff-golf.com/english/products...onoff-iron.html

onoffiron2008small.jpg ?

Yes the irons chosen are the On-Off irons, not the On-Off Plus or the 247. The article speaks about stainless steel and the Plus and 247s are carbon steel.

I have the 3 iton, bent and lengthened to a 2 iron, in the Plus version and I would say they fell like my Mizuno MP33s, maybe a little softer. Hard to say as I haven't hit the MP33s in a while. But in my opinion, it is no comparison to the softness of the top of the line 247 model. I haven't had any problems with ballooning of the Plus 3 iron.

Thank you Mauiatheart for your reply. I have a question for you or anyone on this site. Do you know anything about the Onoff MB 2478 or the Into the Air model like where were the forged etc. I read yesterday a badly translated page on the Into the Air model and it said something about being hollow in construction which they don't appear to be but, you never know they could be. Thanks for your time.

If they have stayed in Pitbulls bag this long they gotta be PHENOMENAL!!! The srixon 701's lasted 60 days I think?

LOL...yes..the OnOff Forged Plus have been great irons for me. I've tried a few sets since adding them over a year ago but they've stayed firmly in the #1 bag. The only set that will probably kick them out will be a set of Chikara CB's that I'm waiting anxiously for. ;)

As for Srixon's...it was the 506's that were in play for 14 days after I had them built. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Where is the "Place" to purchase ONOFF Gear is the U.S.?

Max 5 Golf Shop in Gardena, CA has these in stock.

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 9° w/ PX HZRDUS Gen4 Black 75 6.0

TaylorMade SIM ROCKET 14.5° w/ PX Handcrafted EvenFlow Black 75 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 3-19° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 4-22° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

Srixon ZU85 5 26° w/ PX RDX Smoke 100 6.5

Srixon ZX7 6-PW w/ Nippon Modus Tour125 X

Cleveland 588 RTX 52° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Srixon WG-706 56° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Scotty Cameron SSS Circle T Newport Beach w/ UST Frequency Filter

• 3 months later...