Stand Bag Opinions

Must protect the irons
For the past 3 years, I've carried a Cleveland Golf Stand bag. It's served me well with my irons, when I had head covers on them. I've recently ordered a set of Mizuno MX-23's, and they recommend not using irons covers. So, I'm looking for a stand bag that will help me keep my irons in good shape while walking on the course.

I've narrowed it down to the Ogio Grom, Mizuno Twister or GTO, and Ping Hoofer. Right now, I'm leaning towards the Ogio Grom, but after looking at the iron compartments, I'm concerned the irons may slide and bang into each other.

For Ogio Grom owners, how well does the Woode system keep your irons in place while walking?

Any other bag suggestions or opinions on the other bags I listed would be welcome. For me, the bag doesn't have to match the clubs. I'm more interested in a bag that will keep my clubs (especially the irons) in good shape.

Thanks

:birthday:

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure.

The MX-23's are forged, and they want you to keep them dry at all times. Putting a wet clubface into an enclosed plastic iron cover apparently promotes rust on forged clubs, even if it's just from wet grass, or dew. I don't think the cast irons have this issue with iron covers. I had my TA6's with covers all of last year, and they look fairly new due to the iron covers protecting them. The recommendation does come from Mizuno's website. I would love to transfer my iron covers from my TA6's to the MX-23's, but I dont want them rusting.

I have the MX-23's as well, but I just gave up on trying to protect them. I use an Ogio Vaporlite bag with the Woode system, but they still get dings on them.

You can use iron covers during your round no problem. A few hours isn't going to hurt while your on the course. Just take them off when you're storing them at home.

Ping G425 Max 9*, Accra TZ6 55 M3
TM Sim 2 Ti 13.5*, Accra TZ6 65 M3
TM Sim 2 Max 18*, Accra TZ6 65 M3
Ping G425 3h, Tensei Orange R
TM P790 5-GW, Modus 105 R
Cleveland CBX 56*, wedge flex

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 60*, wedge flex
LAB Golf Mezz-1

I bought the Bagboy NXO stand bag. Not because of club protection as much as to keep the clubs from sliding out the bag. It has a 14 separate tubes and tabs that restrict the clubs from falling out. It does do an excellent job on protecting the clubs but I do keep covers on my irons so I can not tell you that you will not get dings but it will protect your clubs better than any other bag I found. It is easy to find the cart bag but I had to get my shop to order the stand bag they are hard to find in the shops.

I have a Grom and love it. Good storage space, not too heavy, and the Woode System is great. As far as how well do the irons stay in place while walking, I'd say it wont be a problem for you. There's little grooves the width of a golf shaft on the dividers, so when the bag is sideways as its on your shoulders, each iron usually falls right into it's own groove, thus making it so they dont clang around (this is how mine is on last years model, i'm assuming the new models are the same).

Go with an Ogio. I have the Vaporlite, and it's a great bag. Not that much clanging even though this model (for some odd reason) doesn't have the individual iron notches like the rest of the Ogio line. If you want the bag to be light, go with vaporlite. The grom is 6.4 pounds or something like that. But, it's got alot of bells and whistles. Iron damage shouldn't be a problem in either of the bags, and all your woods and your putter will be happy in their own little corner of the world, thanks to the woode system.

I currently use the Callaway Daytripper bag which has the Ogio woode top and it works ok for walking but does not do so well on the occasional cart round, the bag is designed to keep your clubs somewhat organized when at the angle of carry and on its legs but when straight up and down on a cart the clubs will tangle and bang around against each other. I play MP 60's and use covers when carrying and riding not just because I want to keep the irons nice and ding free, because I don't really mind chatter marks on my clubs but I hate the noise when riding or the clink clink when walking with the bag on your shoulders, the only time I don't use covers is when using my sun mountain cart. I'm currently looking into the Ping Hoofer Extreme, The GTO and the Titleist x57 or x67 when I retire the current one. You won't have to worry about rust if you wipe your irons after each shot and the clean them every other round or so with some WD 40, my first set of clubs were MX 23's I bought used and they had some small rust spots on the face I cleaned them up with WD and never had a problem after that, my buddy is still using them rust free doing the same thing.

Sorry didn't mean to get to long winded :birthday:

BigBaller,

What bag is that? By who?

Looks pretty cool. So does the BagBoy NXO.

That's a Bennington Lite Quiet Organizer Stand Bag.

I've used one for the past 2 seasons.

Bennington is a relatively no-name company, so brand name whores generally won't run their stuff.

But if you're worried more about function than what the logos say, they're worth a look.

If your chief concern is protecting your irons, you don't want to use iron covers, and you're not afraid of a full-featured stand bag (i.e., it's not the lightest bag out there) then you can't do much better than one of these, IMHO. Works good for the occasional round in a cart as well.

That top is a hard rubber/foam compound, and you can't really tell by the pic but it cradles each iron head in an individual slot, thereby separating it from the others. Works pretty well. Definitely better than a standard 14-slot "divider bag", and worlds better than a traditional stand bag.

Available on eBay for $145 with free shipping.

4 colors available as I recall.

Search for Item number: 7211135289

Good luck with it.

That sure looks better than the Bagboy NXO that I am running. Looks like it has a little more room. With iron and wood covers on the bagboy it does get a little tight getting the clubs in and out.

I have been looking hard at the Ogio Edge but can not find the fire color in the store. Not many places stocking the Edge.

BigBaller,

What bag is that? By who?

Looks pretty cool. So does the BagBoy NXO.

That's a Bennington Lite Quiet Organizer Stand Bag.

I've used one for the past 2 seasons.

Bennington is a relatively no-name company, so brand name whores generally won't run their stuff.

But if you're worried more about function than what the logos say, they're worth a look.

If your chief concern is protecting your irons, you don't want to use iron covers, and you're not afraid of a full-featured stand bag (i.e., it's not the lightest bag out there) then you can't do much better than one of these, IMHO. Works good for the occasional round in a cart as well.

That top is a hard rubber/foam compound, and you can't really tell by the pic but it cradles each iron head in an individual slot, thereby separating it from the others. Works pretty well. Definitely better than a standard 14-slot "divider bag", and worlds better than a traditional stand bag.

Available on eBay for $145 with free shipping.

4 colors available as I recall.

Search for Item number: 7211135289

Good luck with it.

The Bennington bags are very well made. Like bigballer said, not one of the more well known names but funtionally a really great bag. I just bought my father the cart bag and although he said it's a little bit of a pain to be putting the clubs in each slot especially after grabbing a handful when playing cart path's only, the system does work well for club protection.

Learn from my mistake: I liked both the Hoofer Lite and the Mizuno Twister, decided on the twister in the end, based on features, design, etc. What I didn't do was load one up in the shop and try carrying it around for a bit. If I had, I'd have learnt that the straps don't fit my shoulders well, leading to soreness midway through a round. I fixed it by ditching their straps and replacing them with an Izzo.

Learn from my mistake: I liked both the Hoofer Lite and the Mizuno Twister, decided on the twister in the end, based on features, design, etc. What I didn't do was load one up in the shop and try carrying it around for a bit. If I had, I'd have learnt that the straps don't fit my shoulders well, leading to soreness midway through a round. I fixed it by ditching their straps and replacing them with an Izzo.

Thanks for the heads up on the Twister. I've got big/wide shoulders as it is. Last thing one would need is a sore shoulder during a round. Kind of disappointing, since they charge so much for this bag. :)