2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Tiger at the US Open

Sean2

IMHO I don't see how TW can win at Torrey Pines. Not only has he not played tournament golf in a long while, but he hasn't really been able to hit golf balls, and this is a US Open setup.

Sure, you can never count TW out, but he is human and this is his third knee surgery. I can't imagine that, along with everything else, he will have his "A" game.

Hope he gets better soon...

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Come on man this is Tiger Woods. He will have tons of confidence on the Torey Pines setup because of his success through the years, he has been practicing and there is still time. Tiger doesn't need to play to be ready he has only played roughly 5 tournaments this year(nfs). There is no doubt in my mind he will be ready to go. Sorry Phil :)

I am completely confident that Tiger will be not only prepared to play, but will play very well. IMO, moments like these are what clearly separates Tiger from every other golfer on the planet. This will be another example of Tigers mental strength and will to win. I think the thing that the average person forgets is that Tiger scheduled this surgery. He is very methodical, and would not have scheduled this if there was any doubt in his mind that he would not be ready for this Open. I have a good feeling that he could easily put on an encore of his US Open at Pebble Beach, and run away with it.

He has traditionally suffered in his first tournament after a knee surgery.

Oh wait, he won his first tournament the last time he had the same surgery on the same knee...

If any other players were just tearing it up right now I'd put him outside the top 5, but they're not, and he'll probably be in the mix on Sunday like usual...

Don't know what the extent of his scope was but I'm thinking if he had to withdraw this week then I think he'll miss his second cut in a major.

he could probably play this week if he absolutely had to, but why risk it??

he has 2 more weeks to get better (and let's not forget that it's only been 6 weeks). i'll be very surprised if he misses the cut at Torrey Pines (of all places). Winged Foot...not so surprising.

I just watched a thing on the 19th hole on why Tiger was not playing at the Memorial

Evidently his knee is not responding very well

It seems and injury may have hurt Ernie Els career

Could we have seen the last of great golf from Tiger?

Now do not slay me I am just asking everyone thought he would be back by now

Imagine could he be done?

My Tiger Woods Odds for the US Open

Make the cut 5/1

Top 25 50/1

Top 10 100/1

Win 500/1

hmm....I got $2 on Tiger to win, $50 for a top 10 and $100 for a top 25.

-mini

I'll put $50 on the win. I'll put the rest of my bank account on the make the cut at 5/1.

[b]XHP 3-Deep (13)- 7.3X @ 43.5”
X-Forged UT (#3- 21)- DG X700
716MB (5-PW)- DG S400
Vokey (TVD SM7 RAW 52 & SM6 RAW 58)- DG S400
Cameron Napa California @ 34"[/b]

I think with Ernie (past couple seasons), it has been more so whats going on between the ears than his injury.

I think with Tiger's knee, his schedule and the time off he has between events, it won't be that big of a factor unless it gets more serious. (i.e. Couples's back)

I think he will make a top 20 finish. But you can never put it past that guy.

Ernie's surgery was much more serious (ALC reconstruction) - i'v just had same 5 weeks ago and it sucks! Tigers surgery was minor arthroscopy to heal a damaged miniscus (just taking a shaving off the cartlidge to smooth it out) so he will have been walking within 3-4days and cycling on a spin bike within 5days.

While alot of you may think that this leaves him more time to work on his short game he will have had to spend a minimum of 3hours per day simply stretching the knee and doing silly exercises lifting the knee to work the quads etc. For any athlete 5 days of not using any muscles makes the muscle deplete by 20% and this injury will have had a substancial negative effect on tigers quads. Also if he spends more than 3/4 hours per day on his feet the knee swells up huge meaning the next day or two is spend lying down with leg up and ice on. On top of all this his rotation on the knee will be limited so he wont yet be bombing huge drives. As someone whos going through acl rehab right now i'd say he's gonna find it incredibly tough but we all know what Tiger's like, he wont compete if hes not at least 90%.

My money's on phil and if tiger does withdraw phils odds will take a huge dive. Expect tiger to come back looking even more cut - he'll have spend alot of time working out his upper body!

Ernie's surgery was much more serious (ALC reconstruction) - i'v just had same 5 weeks ago and it sucks! Tigers surgery was minor arthroscopy to heal a damaged miniscus (just taking a shaving off the cartlidge to smooth it out) so he will have been walking within 3-4days and cycling on a spin bike within 5days.

While alot of you may think that this leaves him more time to work on his short game he will have had to spend a minimum of 3hours per day simply stretching the knee and doing silly exercises lifting the knee to work the quads etc. For any athlete 5 days of not using any muscles makes the muscle deplete by 20% and this injury will have had a substancial negative effect on tigers quads. Also if he spends more than 3/4 hours per day on his feet the knee swells up huge meaning the next day or two is spend lying down with leg up and ice on. On top of all this his rotation on the knee will be limited so he wont yet be bombing huge drives. As someone whos going through acl rehab right now i'd say he's gonna find it incredibly tough but we all know what Tiger's like, he wont compete if hes not at least 90%.

My money's on phil and if tiger does withdraw phils odds will take a huge dive. Expect tiger to come back looking even more cut - he'll have spend alot of time working out his upper body!

Tiger and Appleby basiclly had the same surgery and I don't see a problem with Tiger competing well in the US Open. If anything, his chance of winning are just slightly less than before. Remember, he won tournaments this year playing in pain with the injury, he scheduled surgery and rehab, and fairly certain he has a good medical staff overseeing the process. Not playing this week was probably a smart choice as Jack's tournament is slightly less important than the US Open I would think. Plus more time at home with the family. Actually, when you think about it, this time off is really no less than he usually takes.

Source: Daily telegraph

Stuart Appleby commented that recent knee surgery won't hurt his chances to win The Players Championship.

Appleby injured torn the meniscus in his right knee a couple of weeks before the Masters, then he played with the injury at the Shell Houston Open and the Masters. He flew home to Australia after the Masters and had surgery to repair the damaged meniscus. Appleby played for the first time after surgery in last week's Wachovia Championship, but he missed the cut due to an alignment problem. When asked about how he feels he replied, "I wouldn't say I'm back to 100 percent yet, but there's no problem hitting golf balls or walking."

slight threadjack...

Appleby played for the first time after surgery in last week's Wachovia Championship, but he missed the cut due to an alignment problem.

perhaps his caddy should help him more.

i am eager to see how tiger recovers. but when was his last US Open win? albiet Torrey Pines is basically a home track for him....how did Ernie do on his home track this past week?

should be interesting.

"I wouldn't say I'm back to 100 percent yet, but there's no problem hitting golf balls or walking."

when I had the nineteenth hole on they had Jack Nicklaus on there and I believe he said that Tiger withdrew after telling him he tried to play the day before and could not do it

Did anyone else here see this?

The key is if Tiger is hitting the fairway or not. Torrey will be rearing to go for anyone with a bad driving week. I bet the winner is in the top 5 in driving accuracy and top 20 GIR. If you don't hit the fairway, you WILL NOT hit the green!

If Sergio can put together another driving performance like he did at the Player's, he will have a chance. Phil will have to hit it dead straight. Maybe he should try a 44" driver for the week or an FT-i.

Tiger can smash a 3 wood all day long and and have mid irons in to most par 4's. He needs to get confidence in his driver ASAP after returning from surgery. If his driver/3 wood are working, he'll win no problem. He knows more about the greens at Torrey than anyone else. Phil knows a lot too. Should be intersting to see their stats for driving, GIR's, and putting at the end of the week.

Just my $.02

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 9° w/ PX HZRDUS Gen4 Black 75 6.0

TaylorMade SIM ROCKET 14.5° w/ PX Handcrafted EvenFlow Black 75 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 3-19° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 4-22° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

Srixon ZU85 5 26° w/ PX RDX Smoke 100 6.5

Srixon ZX7 6-PW w/ Nippon Modus Tour125 X

Cleveland 588 RTX 52° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Srixon WG-706 56° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Scotty Cameron SSS Circle T Newport Beach w/ UST Frequency Filter

"I wouldn't say I'm back to 100 percent yet, but there's no problem hitting golf balls or walking."

when I had the nineteenth hole on they had Jack Nicklaus on there and I believe he said that Tiger withdrew after telling him he tried to play the day before and could not do it

Did anyone else here see this?

Woods had hoped to fine-tune his game this week at the Memorial, but he withdrew and has no plans to play in next week's Stanford St. Jude Classic in Memphis, Tenn.

Tiger says

"I wasn't ready," Woods said. "I started my practice basically just recently. So going to Memorial that rusty, it wouldn't have made any sense. I wasn't sharp enough. I didn't hit all my shots I needed to hit yet at home and make sure everything is organized. ... The whole idea is to be ready for the U.S. Open."

Source Yahoo Sports

...the field should be very afraid.

Or ashamed that even with knee surgery, a two month competitive layoff and a debut at the most grueling tournament in all of golf, they still can't beat this guy. How embarrassing!

Hard to imagine he can pull off a win given the circumstances.

As I do with all the majors, I'll pull for any non-major winner in the hunt on Sunday see their dream come true.