2024 US Open WITB Photos ×

What happens to those ladies who don't last on the LPGA or Duramed Futures tour?

morgan pressel.

paula creamer.

cristie kerr.

up and coming vickie hurst.

the LPGA players are indeed in it for the money. it's not their fault that the purses are significantly lower than the guys. i'd put that square on the shoulders of media executives, advertisers, tournaments sponsors, etc. if you're 150 on the LPGA money list you're not making it and might have to rethink your priorities but to say money is not the driving force....then what is?? passion for the game? that exists in every level of golf. there are people out there who have more passion for the game of golf that shoot 90 than there are that shoot 70.

they guy that shows up at mcdonald's is there for the paycheck...not for his love of potatoes.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I singled you out matthewb because you were the first to reply to my original post with a nonchalant remark that insinuated that my question had a sexist tone to it.

I assure you that I never intended for that to be the case. As I had already indicated, the question was postulated as a result of the huge discrepancy between the LPGA and PGA purses.

You were the first poster who chose to take my question as sexist. So, as a result, I'm calling you on it.

I'm willing to let this matter drop about your comments on my post. I hope you realize that not all posts/questions carry some underlying, sexist meaning as you had originally assumed about my post....

I singled you out matthewb because you were the first to reply to my original post with a nonchalant remark that insinuated that my question had a sexist tone to it.

I assure you that I never intended for that to be the case. As I had already indicated, the question was postulated as a result of the huge discrepancy between the LPGA and PGA purses.

You were the first poster who chose to take my question as sexist. So, as a result, I'm calling you on it.

I'm willing to let this matter drop about your comments on my post. I hope you realize that not all posts/questions carry some underlying, sexist meaning as you had originally assumed about my post....

I'm not intimidated by your bullying tactics. I'll reengage with you if & when you start making sense.

I believe there is merit to what both imsocrabby and jimmy are saying.

As imsocrabby stated, I believe the LPGA pros are in it for the money. Yes, it's not their fault the purses are smaller than those of the PGAs.

As jimmy stated, I also believe that they're in it for the love of the game as well. When the money doesn't materialize for the vast majority of LPGA pros, it's their passion for golf that keeps them playing on tour (some of them non-exempt and having to Monday qualify for events). Yes, they could easily make more money elsewhere doing something else, but it's their love of golf that keeps them on the tour.

When you read the rookie blogs or those of Dina Amaccapane's caddie, you really get a sense that those players who are still on tour love what they do, even if the money isn't there. It's why they drive for 12+ hrs straight to go from one event to the next.

When the passion for golf is diminished, the small size of the event purses takes its toll on players (both successful and non-successful) and they drop out to pursue other things.

morgan pressel.

paula creamer.

cristie kerr.

up and coming vickie hurst.

the LPGA players are indeed in it for the money. it's not their fault that the purses are significantly lower than the guys. i'd put that square on the shoulders of media executives, advertisers, tournaments sponsors, etc. if you're 150 on the LPGA money list you're not making it and might have to rethink your priorities but to say money is not the driving force....then what is?? passion for the game? that exists in every level of golf. there are people out there who have more passion for the game of golf that shoot 90 than there are that shoot 70.

they guy that shows up at mcdonald's is there for the paycheck...not for his love of potatoes.

lol,

this is from the 2007 money list, which means that from Carin down EVERYONE made less (yes, I know there are some endorsements but from 70th down not much)

70 Carin Koch $152,232.00

if she played 30 events (for example), she spent $2500 to $2800 per week... ( a minitour guy will spend $2000 if he sleeps cheap and eats cheap) and probably closer to $3000... the ladies do not get the many of the same travel perks the men do... so she spent about $84000 in expenses... that leaves about $70k and change which is taxable... she still has the regular living expenses we all do, plus they are some additional costs associated to being on the road so much... if she has to go back to qschool she has that cost (entry fee and travel)...

have you ever been on the road for over half the year, its sucks... away from loved ones, family, etc... lets say she answers the phone at an insurance agents office (with no degree) if she wasn't playing golf (as an example)... she will make close to $40k... if she has a degree and any decent job, she can make $50k and up and up and up...

she gets hurt on tour, makes zero... loses her card, zero... the only reason that you are so adamant with the potatoes comment is that you have no idea what it takes to make a living playing golf... or why so many endure the downside....

I'm not intimidated by your bullying tactics. I'll reengage with you if & when you start making sense.

Can you reengage him via PM? For all of our sakes...

Mizuno ST200G 9° / Aldila Synergy Black Proto 75-TX   
TC Callaway XHot 3DEEP 13° / Graphite Design DI-10 TX

TC Callaway X2Hot 5DEEP 18.5° bent to 17° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10x

Callaway X-Forged UT 21° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10-TX

Callaway X-Forged UT 25° / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Raw Mizuno MP-32 6-PW / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 50.08F / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 54.12D / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 58.14K / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Mizuno M-Craft I Blue Ion 365g / Stability Shaft

she gets hurt on tour, makes zero... loses her card, zero... the only reason that you are so adamant with the potatoes comment is that you have no idea what it takes to make a living playing golf... or why so many endure the downside....

unless you tell me you are Carin Koch, herself.....you have no freaking clue what she pays or doesn't pay.

before you judge me and my background......what i may or may not know about making a living playing golf......and decide to spout off about it....

try asking.

what's ironic about you pulling Carin Koch's name out of the hat is that my dad's company is one of her sponsors. the money she gets from this sponsor and the others pretty much covers her travel fee's.

if you made the attempt, i applaud you. i'd love to give it a shot.....but again....money, family, and the all important scoring is holding me back. but don't assume that i have no idea about what you are talking about.....you don't know me.

unless you tell me you are Carin Koch, herself.....you have no freaking clue what she pays or doesn't pay.

before you judge me and my background......what i may or may not know about making a living playing golf......and decide to spout off about it....

try asking.

what's ironic about you pulling Carin Koch's name out of the hat is that my dad's company is one of her sponsors. the money she gets from this sponsor and the others pretty much covers her travel fee's.

if you made the attempt, i applaud you. i'd love to give it a shot.....but again....money, family, and the all important scoring is holding me back. but don't assume that i have no idea about what you are talking about.....you don't know me.

please reread not only the post subject but your own earlier post... I don't want to know you, and since you and your father's company seem to know so much about the person that finished 70th on the money list, maybe you could have shared some "knowledge" about women that don't make it and what they might be doing and why...

EVERYONE KNOWS THAT THE SUCCESSFUL WOMEN ON TOUR ARE DOING IT FOR THE MONEY. Koch as number 70 on the list is simply a benchmark of how much the bottom half of the list are NOT making versus working in the work force.

None of us care about why you can not give it a shot, who you are, or who I am. The point of this board is to have a hopefully meaningful discussion about a subject. Having a Dad who has a company who sponsers a player doesn't buy you any credibilty. The point was to exemplify what a player MIGHT spend and the money INCENTIVE to pursue golf for women that struggle vis a vis what that women might earn and the opportunity cost of doing so which highlights incentive.

Obviously, in your two posts, you have not added anything pertaining to the discussion other than the fact that you think that all these women are motivated by the money and the fact that you have never actually made any sort of living doing such, you still have no experience of what the sacrifices are relative to the money that is made (or not made).

That is my point. No one is judging you or your background. How can any of us even know what that is? You are viewed by the quality of your posts. That is all.

hmmm.

many a baited questions/responses from you teeball. and i bit. so be it. quality of posts indeed.

but the same can be said for the PGA Tour but on a much larger scale. 70 on the PGA list make a great living. it's the under 150 that has to decide if passion makes up for pocketbook. 70 on the LPGA makes a great living as well......but what exists as a great living to you or me or someone else is debatable.

it's unfortunate that someone might make more money at hooters. but everyone makes their own choices. again....huge props to the folks who make the run and don't succeed.

So you have a high school graduate who fails at their dream of becoming a pro athlete.

No difference between men or women in that regard, setting aside the whole inequity of purses on the LPGA vs. the PGA tour (that's about the sponsors and where they choose to put their money). Of course you could say that endorsement opportunities may be greater for a pretty woman as a "model/golfer" than a man who is marginally successful on tour.

Career path probably similar for both women and men in that position of being failed Pro golfers, the difference is the caveman assumption that a woman with no career will go "snag a man" and get knocked up.

I met a woman who played professionally in Europe, she wasn't wildly successful and decided it wasn't worth the travel and discomfort. She returned to the U.S. and got into a career as a PGA Professional; she is now the head Pro at the Rutgers University golf course. From the web site:

Jill Jerauld, a former Futures Tour and European Tour player, joined the Rutgers University Golf Course as the Course Pro/Manager in November 2001. She is the only female Professional Golf Association (PGA) - certified head pro in the state of New Jersey.

Just one example of what a "failed" female professional golfer can do for a career.

It's not how...it's how many