2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

do YOU bet on golf?

flamtap

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't really play for money that often at all, I have a ton of short game little games with my pro for money or balls. I think I took $38 off of him one time this summer. I don't do it on a regular basis though. State Championship this year, since it was at my home course, I had a huge gallery of folks following me, according to my mom there was a bunch of little side bets going on, on how well I would do on a certain hole, whether I would get up and down, and what not. Apparently my pro had faith in me, and by the end of the day he had collected respectible $85.

So to answer your question, I don't put money on the line when I'm playing on the course, it's just another thing I have to worry about, but on the putting green/chipping/bunker area, money sure puts a bunch more fun into it.

- Bryan

At practice or when i go and play with my friends we usually play anywhere from a $1 to $5 a hole, Plus $1 for a birdie, $3 for an eagle, and $1 closest on the par threes. If your one you can take home a nice amount. Or we'll do a team thing switchin the teams every three holes for like $10 every three hole segment.

Me and my buddies usually play $2 a hole/ $2 a birdie & $5 Eagles....sometimes we crank it up. or we do team matches 2 vs. 2 for money. We generally just play skins but sometimes we'll put up $10-15 and play straight up winner takes all. Money on the line can make practicing meaningful. especially the higher the wager!

Dan "goose" :birthday:

PXG 0811X 10* w/ Tensei Blue 70TX<br />PXG 0341X 15* w/ Tensei Blue 70TX<br />PXG 0317 19* w/ Tensei Blue 80X<br />PXG 0311T 4-W w/ Nippon Modus 130X<br />PXG 0311 50*,55*,60* w/ Modus 130X<br />Scotty Cameron Circle T Newport 2

Just placed a wager on VIPsportbetting on the net...

Appleby 66/1

Harrington 30/1

Singh 9/1

Dimarco 30/1

Woods 9/4

$5 each to win the Masters

Hmm, interesting choice. I think they all make some sense, but $5 on Woods at 9/4? If he wins, you still lose. Why bother? If you think he's gonna win (I do) why not chuck the whole lot down him? If Appleby wins you're laughing, but you would be even if you didn't back Woods. Gotta go either all the way on the favourite or back a selection of longer shots. My dad told me that a long time ago and it's done me reasonably since. But then, what do I know? I've just been buying lottery tickets, so I've gotta be the biggest mug going. Good luck. :birthday:

Ping G430 LST 9° Diamana white 63x
Ping G410 LST 3 wood Diamana Thump x
Srixon ZX Utility 19 C-taper S+

Srixon ZX7 4-AW C-taper S+

Vokey SM9 54F and 58C

Odyssey Eleven Tour-Lined Slant

Me and my friends usually do 50 cents or $1 per hole and play skins. Gives a meaningless match something worth playing for, especially when you have to sink a putt on the last hole when 15 holes have been carried over. Otherwise if its just me and one other person we'll play match or stroke play and the difference between scores equals the amount of money owed to the winner. Usually depends if its a week that I get my paycheck or not.

I have never played for money on the course but there has been plenty of little bets for a couple of dollars, drinks, chocolate bars and balls around the putting and chipping green aswell as on the range. Its just a good way to make those long practice sessions a little more fun and it can really put the pressure on and give you real game pressures when u have money on the line.

brent

I have never played for money on the course but there has been plenty of little bets for a couple of dollars, drinks, chocolate bars and balls around the putting and chipping green aswell as on the range. Its just a good way to make those long practice sessions a little more fun and it can really put the pressure on and give you real game pressures when u have money on the line.

brent

I do the samething never really made any bets just like drinks,balls, and candy bars on the course and range.

I play side games sometimes.

Here is a great side game (Animals). Things like this make golf more fun.

I played this game last year while playing in a weekly men's association tournament. I was playing front 9 gross/net, front 9 skins, back 9 gross/net, back 9 skins, tream Chicago front 9, back 9, and 18, skins in the Team Chicago, and the Animals side games...all in 1 18 hole round each week hehe.

I bet on occasion. Done in the right ways it will bring a little more intensity into the group and who doesn't like winning your buddies money. I never really play big stakes. I'll play 25 cents a hole up to about 20 bucks. I like to do it because it puts me in a 'game situation' mode I struggle to get in if I don't have a real interest in the round and this helps me practice my pre-shot routine for tournaments , rhythm under pressure, etc. I also happen to be an adrenaline junkie so that is also involved.

I only had $25 on the site and didnt want to dump it on one player, it also was a free promotion so its not like I'm losing my own money, basically I picked who i thought would win just so i win something so I can bet again on the site.

With the guys I play with we either play for dinner for the night or drinks.

Theres usually 3 of us that play 3rd place pays for 1st places dinner or booze for the night, 2nd place gets off scot free.

We also play a variety of games, Stroke Play, Match Play, Red/White/Blue. We make up our own games too.

One thats fun is you got 13 clubs in your bag +putter right?

You take out the putter and you are aloud to use one club/hole. Once you use that club you cant use it again till Hole 14. After hole 14 your opponent chooses 3 clubs your aloud to use for the rest of the round but one has to be Driver-4 iron, one 5-PW, and one of any (the first few times we played the obvious choices were LW SW GW and it really didnt work.

Low score wins.

Hope that made sense lol

My buddy's never pay up so no use for betting.

Yeah, I tried getting some of the guys on the golf team to play for a little cash, but the first round collectively they owed me $7 a piece, but that never happend since I am still an under classman. So what we did was did kind of a Ryder Cup format, and we had two captains, they picked the teams just like in elementary school you picked team members for kickball. Everyone before the round started had to throw in 4 bucks, the winning team's purse would be $48. It was a good time, and since the coach held the money, it taught some of the kids who hadn't played tournament golf what a little pressure was. Even though it was a measley $4, it put a little bit more fun in practicing with the boys.

- Bryan

Me and another Junior usually play .50 cents or a dollar a hole, dbl for birdies, triple for eagles. Most of the time nobody loses too much scratch and its kinda a after thought because both of us hate losing so bad that it more pressure than money could do to us. Anyone else have a rival that you just duke it out with over pride?

• 2 weeks later...

(PUTTING GREEN)we made up something at my work called dollar sinks lets say there are four people playing first guy makes the putt and the rest of the three missed it so that means they each owe you a dollar so you made 3 dollars on 1 putt we play as many as 30 holes dont get me wrong all the guys i play with are at my skill level so the most ive lost or won in 40 holes was like 10 dollars to make it fun we add in three putts lets say two guys drained the putt and the other 2 3 putted they both owe the two guys two dollars

(CHIPPING GREEN)we have a chiping game too the one who chips it the closest gets a point we go up to 11 points so if two guys are playing and one dude gets ll points first and the other player gets 9 points he owes you 2 bucks

try it ITS FUN

During the week at golf practice we usually play Burmuda triangle where you putt in a triangle 1 person at each hole and when someone makes it you move to the next hole. We usually play to 5 win by 2 the 2 losers pay the winner $10 each. It gets intense sometimes we`ll play 5 games and someone will win them all. On days where we play, normally skins or 9`s is the game. On the weekends, we play wolf or vegas with some of the college players in my area and some old guys. Ya you could say I do a little betting.

I play with a bunch of old guys at my club every saturday morning. We do all kinds of games for money and I didnt lose a match all summer. Probably made about 200 bucks off the poor guys. I also play with my buddies for like 25 cents a skin and it just adds a little insentive to finish out the putts and to be competitive with each other. :drinks:

i play with this group of guys almost daily we usually play 2 a hole plus 2 birds 2 greenies

or we play 2 man team match play 3 front 3 back 3 total plus $2 birds and greenies

it gets pretty intense when we play 2 tie all tie then you have a putt for like 10 skins from three people

or we have jack pot when you are closest on a par 3 and make birdie then its triple

on the practice green i play 21

on the chippping green i play seve (not sure of the reason behind the name of the game)-- chip to a hole then hole out using the club you chipped with (often sand or lob wedge) continue for 4 holes. bottom 2 pay top 1. dollar a stroke.

on the course i play anything.. mostly nassaus

Chipping and putting we play for smokes sometimes we bet on the course but mostly we dont if we do it would go like this.. 2$ a hole plus 5$ kp's, 2 designated LD holes for 5$ and 2$ birdies.

Driver: 10.5* Taylormade Stealth GD Tour AD IZ 75x 
3 Iron: Titleist 712u Tour Issue S400
Irons: 4-PW 620 MB Nippon 125x
Wedges: SM9 50.08F 54.10S 58.08M S400
Putter: Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2 Mid Slant

• 2 months later...