2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Golf mag says: (or was it golf digest)

27 (5i?) degree club yardage x 36 = what you should play from
so thumbing and drooling through the golf mags, i found Stina Sternberg(always a fav of mine) said multiply the 5i or 27 degree club x 36 to get what tees you should play from.

I like it! was 6480 for me, which is more or less what i wind up playing from from courses i KNOW. harder ones i move up, easier i would move back.

It also resolved my father -in law & my matches, since he was claiming he should get another tee set at 75 years old, but i was only winning by a single stroke most of the time. Now he gets his wish and my guess is i start losing!

Also resolves some for my wife who is a long hitter she needs to be back on the men's whites minimum.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ohhhhhh great....now I get to watch more people play from tees that are too far back because this one time, back a couple of years ago, they hit a career 5i, with the wind, with a cartpath bounce 210!!!!

I agree with the prior post, maybe move 1 set of tees closer for every 3rd 3 putt! I am at the reds if we do that way!

I am not sure about this statement. I guess it depends on what kind of score you are wanting to shoot. I hit my 5 iron 180-185 and that comes out to just under 6700. I played 6 rounds in myrtle beach in the last 4 days and broke 80 4 times out of 6, which I thought was very respectable and that was from the tips and playing it down on every course. Until they start giving a discount for playing the short tees,,,,,,, if I pay full price I am playing the whole course. JMO but alot of people do need to move up for time purposes. I think the tees should be picked by handicap and not by distance.

I believe you should play for yourself and not to impress anyone else. If you aren't holding someone up, who gives a rip what tee you play from?

Let those that are faster play thru and golf YOUR GAME for YOUR enjoyment. I play for me not for some guy on another foursome to be happy that I am playing the equipment he things or from the tee he things I should either.

there are two public courses in my area, one of them is 6024 from the tips, and the other is 6089 from the regular men's white tees, not the second to last, i'm talking about the one right after the women's tees. it's such a wide span, the tips at the second course is around 6800 yards. i usually play from the second to last tees and my lowest score there was an 81, and i always wondered why (other than the fact that it's a windy "links" course and i'm always at the mercy of the gods), because before that, honestly i never looked at the total yardage, i just said to myself "well, i know i can't play from the tips, but i'm pretty sure i can play from the whites, so i'll play from the blues to challenge myself. then i go back to the first course one day and decide you know what? what the hell, i've been improving, i'll play from the tips, and shot 77, and that was with 4 3-putts!!! then i looked at the scorecard and a dim lightbulb flickered in my head. i did read that article, and did the math and it ended up coming to around 6400 yds, which is around what the blue tees are at the links course, so turns out i was right all along. just needed a hot swedish golf host to confirm it.

WITB 2023
- Srixon Zx5 mkII 10.5*, Tensei AV Blue 55s
-TSi2 16.5* Accra FX 2.0
-TSi2 18* hybrid, Fuji Motore F3
-TSi2 21* hybrid, Fuji Motore F3
-ZX7 5-PW, Fuji Pro 85
-50/54/58 Cleveland Zipcore TR, Fuji Pro 95 TS
-Sik Pro-C
-2023 Z-Star Diamond

I like 25 times your "average drive distance" formula better. :)

Using either formula, I come up with ~7200 :clapping: Frankly, to me the distance is a complete non-issue - I've played from 7000++ yards several times and my scores didn't change one bit. Damn putter :cheesy:

Chit load of Maltbys - TS2 irons, KE4 TC Driver & 4 wood, TSW 54* & 60* wedges, PTM5 Mallet putter

I believe you should play for yourself and not to impress anyone else. If you aren't holding someone up, who gives a rip what tee you play from?

Let those that are faster play thru and golf YOUR GAME for YOUR enjoyment. I play for me not for some guy on another foursome to be happy that I am playing the equipment he things or from the tee he things I should either.

:clapping:

Ummmm. Excuse me but I'm not sure I understand your point.

The thread is about an article from a golf magazine recommending a formula to calculate the yardage of a course you are best suited to play.

:)

5 iron x 35 = (180 x 35) = 6,300 - thats a course length shorter than i prefer.

driver x 25 = (265 x 25) = 6,625 - a course length that i prefer and typcially play.

for me, i typical look at the 4 longest par 4's on the course and the slope/rating. i won't play tees that is a full stroke over par and won't play tee's that have more than 2 par 4's over 450 - thats just a bit much for me.

[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike covert tour 2.0 w/ diamana blueboard 83[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike sq 2 tour 15* w/ ust v2 95 tour[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]adams idea pro tour 18* w/ fujikura 904hb[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]adams idea pro tour 22* w/ fujikura 904hb[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike pro combo tour 4-pw[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]titliest vokey sm5 52*[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]titliest vokey sm5 58*[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]scotty cameron newport beach[/size][/font][/color]

Neither of those formulas work for me. Stretching the driver, 25 x 260 (a good drive for me) = 6500.

5I is typically about 170 carry x 36 = 6120.

I routinely play a course at 6900 yards, 74.8, 139, and carry a six index (it was 2.4 two years ago) and enjoy it. Only in the worst adverse windy conditions are there par 4's I might struggle to reach in two and I certainly would not want to play anything much longer, but 6500 would seem way too short, much less something around 6100 yards!

Yikes.

27 degrees is nigh on a 4 iron for me - and that means 200 yards. So my everyday yardage should be 7200 yards...

I'll have to keep a sharp eye out for tractors and herds of cows whilst teeing off, since I'll be over the boundary fence and hitting from the fields on the majority of holes then.

The driver ratio is more reasonable. A few yards more than I'm currently playing and in any case well under the dreaded 7000 yards.

Nike Ignite 410 10.5° Grafalloy Blue X

Nike T60 15° Fujikura Speeder 757 X

Titleist 913F 19° Mitsubishi Diamana BB 83X or Titleist 712U 2-iron 19° KBS Tour S

Titleist 712U 3-iron 22° KBS Tour S

Titleist 681 4-iron to 9-iron KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 48.08F Raw 49° KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 56.10M Raw 56° KBS Tour S

Ping Eye 2 Gorge L Wedge 60° KBS Tour S  &  Ping Anser 2

works for me 200 X 36 = 7200 thats my course like every one is saying damn that putter. use to be best part of my game 28 to 30 around last month 34 to 38 maks me want to cry being that i'm now shotting in the low mid 80s.

JDM TMade SLDR set @ 11.5* w/Speeder 757
Adams Tour LS 15* w/DI7x
Adams Tour LS 19* w/DI8x & 23* 9031
Adams MB2 5-GW w/Black Nickle KBS Tour S
Machine M6 Inspirer
50*/54*/58* Satin Puglielli wedge kbs tourS
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/910665-bennysupremes-first-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

This formula thing does not make any sense. First off, most guys on tour dont carry their five irons 200 yards, therefore their ideal course means that should play from <7200 yards? Second, distance should not matter that much. Sure, hitting wedge into a green is better than hitting a three iron in, but it comes down to short game. There are a lot of way to make a par, but much less ways to make a birdie

5 iron x 35 = (180 x 35) = 6,300 - thats a course length shorter than i prefer.

driver x 25 = (265 x 25) = 6,625 - a course length that i prefer and typcially play.

for me, i typical look at the 4 longest par 4's on the course and the slope/rating. i won't play tees that is a full stroke over par and won't play tee's that have more than 2 par 4's over 450 - thats just a bit much for me.

it's supposed to be 5 iron x 36, that's probably why you got a lower yardage than you may have initially thought you'd get.

WITB 2023
- Srixon Zx5 mkII 10.5*, Tensei AV Blue 55s
-TSi2 16.5* Accra FX 2.0
-TSi2 18* hybrid, Fuji Motore F3
-TSi2 21* hybrid, Fuji Motore F3
-ZX7 5-PW, Fuji Pro 85
-50/54/58 Cleveland Zipcore TR, Fuji Pro 95 TS
-Sik Pro-C
-2023 Z-Star Diamond

:clapping:

Ummmm. Excuse me but I'm not sure I understand your point.

The thread is about an article from a golf magazine recommending a formula to calculate the yardage of a course you are best suited to play.

:)

My point was more to the fact that too often I see people concerned with what tee they play from or that another golfer will tell someone that they don't golf the "right way". Simply put, I play from whatever tee I feel like. I don't slow people down and am the first to offer that someone play thru. I play for ME and not someone else is all, no formula to tell me where to play etc. I am honest in my ability when asked and that's about it really.

I wonder about the formula, particularly if true carry of a 5 iron is used. The guys at Adams Golf, who do testing at a local range here in Dallas using Trackman, told me almost 95% of those they test (and they test everyone from legitimate "+" handicaps to hackers) carry the ball 151 to 165 with that 5 iron, even though almost 100% claim they carry it 180 to 200 when they fill out the form prior to hitting.

distance should not matter that much.

Sure, hitting wedge into a green is better than hitting a three iron in, but it comes down to short game. There are a lot of way to make a par, but much less ways to make a birdie

:clapping: :) :cheesy: :dntknw:

You DO realize, don't you, that the number 1 component of assigning handicap holes (i.e. resistance to scoring) on a given course is distance, no ?

So how can distance "not matter that much" ?!?!?! :cheesy: