2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Need help picking out a new shaft! Please help!

SV Golfer

I'm really clueless
Okay guys I need your help. I've currently got an Original Burner TP 8.5* with a 65S stock Mitsubishi Rayon stock shaft. Lately, I've found that the 45.5 inches are just too much for me, and I've been choking down about a half an inch or a little more with great results.

The problem is, I just don't like the control I have over this stock shaft. Sometimes I can get a little inconsistent, especially when I don't choke down a little. It feels way too whippy, and the extra length is uneccessary. I want to find a solid shaft that fits my specs and will give me a little more control without sacrificing too much distance. Basically, I'm looking to get more out of my driver.

Here's some specs I got on the launch monitor:

Swing speed: 107-108 mph
Ball speed: 157-160 mph
Launch angle: 15-16 degrees
Ball spin: 3000-3200

Any help is appreciated, considering I'm clueless when it comes to shafts.
Thanks in advance

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You good players with a lot of power are all the same..., you have the ability to make most any club work for you, and so you don't make a great effort to deal with your clubs until you have such a terrible fit as your current driver is. You could be soooo much more consistent with proper equipment.

You won't find a premium fit on this, or any site.

Spend some time and money and find a quality fitter and you will discover a shaft/head combo for your driver that will change your world.

Suggestions include Trackman shops, or many of the clubmakers on the premium shaft sites, including Tour Concept, Nippon Shaft, ACCRA, SST PURE, Certified Rifle, etc.

Caution though, there are a lot of bad clubfitters, ask plenty of questions, and hit a lot of shots.

Regards, 3

you can find a vs proto on ebay for less than 100, just dont get a pull the burner is a .350, by the way. I had a vs proto in a burner and loved it. i would cut it to 44.5, and if that is still too long go down some more. another good shaft is the proforce v2, a buddy of mine has that combo and loves it. the burner plays at 45.5, and a typical driver plays 45, pros play there clubs around 43.5. the vs proto though is a great shaft. enjoy!

by the way, if you want to save the money and like the stock shaft, then try to simply cut the stock shaft down and see what happens. getting a new shaft is a fun thing though!!!

Will Peoples

Peoples.golf
The Peoples Clubs
Tour Stock Putters

3step is right. If you have the money, get with a qualified fitter as he will be able to help you out much more than anyone else on this site can.

That said, I don't think that you're going to reduce your launch angle and spin rates enough with the VS Proto. You need to get down to a 13-14 degree launch angle with backspin around 2200 - 2400 rpm's to maximize your distance.

Therefore, I would look at a low-spin, low launch option such as the Prolaunch Red, NV Protopype, Diamana Whiteboard, Rombax Z or Matrix F7M2. Those are just a few options that come to mind. However, several of these are going to run you over $100.00.

Good luck with your choice.

Ping G430 Max 10.5° | Fujikura Speeder Evolution II 569
TaylorMade BRNR 13.5° | UST Mamiya ProForce 65

TaylorMade Stealth 2 Plus 18° | Mitsubishi Kai'li Red 65

Srixon ZX MKII 22° & 25° | Project X HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX 70

Mizuno JPX 923 Hot Metal HL 6-GW | True Temper Dynamic Gold 95
Cleveland CBX2 54° & 58° | Rotex 90
PXG Battle Ready M16 Bat Attack

"Golf is assuredly a mystifying game. It would seem that if a person has hit a golf ball correctly a thousand times, he should be able to duplicate the performance at will. But such is certainly not the case." - Bobby Jones

Thanks for all the help guys. Looking at the specs between the Proto and the stock I have already, there's not a whole lot of distance. I do tend to launch the ball high, so I think you're right schlebrock about finding a little bit lower spin and launch.

Now what's the deal with shaft weight? Should I go with something a little heavier?

Thanks for all the help guys. Looking at the specs between the Proto and the stock I have already, there's not a whole lot of distance. I do tend to launch the ball high, so I think you're right schlebrock about finding a little bit lower spin and launch.

Now what's the deal with shaft weight? Should I go with something a little heavier?

A heavier shaft will generally make the ballflight lower.....as will a stiffer shaft.

"Golf is assuredly a mystifying game. It would seem that if a person has hit a golf ball correctly a thousand times, he should be able to duplicate the performance at will. But such is certainly not the case." - Bobby Jones

Sorry Schlebrock, I couldn't disagree with you more. His launch angle is great, just needs to bring his spin number down and he will gain about 10 yards.

A VS Proto however will probably be a great fit for your Burner.

As it was said before, if you want to get fit...spend some money and get fit.

Don't solicit free advice and expect to get much from it. We can't see your average numbers and your ball flight which is a lot of clubfitting.

Titleist TSi3 w/Oban Kiyoshi White 6X 
Titleist TSi2 15 degree w/Accra TZ6 75 M5

Titleist TSi2 21 degree w/Accra TZ6 75 M5 

Srixon ZX5 4-6 w/KBS TGI 110 (SS 1x) @1/2" over standard

Srixon ZX7 7-PW w/KBS TGI 110 (SS 1x) @1/2" over standard
Titleist Vokey SM8 Raw 50/54/58 KBS TGI 110 (SS 1x) @1/2" over standard
Toulon Las Vegas custom w/BGT Tour 

A heavier shaft will generally make the ballflight lower.....as will a stiffer shaft.

I'm so confused :clapping: haha. My swing speed isn't quite fast enough for x-flex, plus i'm more of a swinger not a hitter. I'm thinking a whiteboard or rombax z around 75g might work well, but who knows.

I'm so confused :clapping: haha. My swing speed isn't quite fast enough for x-flex, plus i'm more of a swinger not a hitter. I'm thinking a whiteboard or rombax z around 75g might work well, but who knows.

All the more reason to get fitted if you can! :)

Sorry Schlebrock, I couldn't disagree with you more. His launch angle is great, just needs to bring his spin number down and he will gain about 10 yards.

Don't solicit free advice and expect to get much from it. We can't see your average numbers and your ball flight which is a lot of clubfitting.

I'm not expecting a ton, but I'm looking for a general outline really. How do you usually bring spin down?

Geez... a high schooler with a crappy job can only afford so much!

I don't really want to spend money to get "fitted" again

Understood.

Try the PL Red. It can be had real cheap and has given me the best launch numbers of any shaft other than a Diamana Whiteboard. Some like the feel and some don't but it's a relatively low cost experiment that may get you where you need to be. Also, they're offered in both .350 & .335 diameter sizes too.

Try the PL Red. It can be had real cheap and has given me the best launch numbers of any shaft other than a Diamana Whiteboard. Some like the feel and some don't but it's a relatively low cost experiment that may get you where you need to be. Also, they're offered in both .350 & .335 diameter sizes too.

I'm trying to not sound like an idiot, but wouldn't the higher torque and lighter shaft just keep my launch up anyway?

I'm trying to not sound like an idiot, but wouldn't the higher torque and lighter shaft just keep my launch up anyway?

It's OK, not a stupid question at all.

There is no standard measurement of torque from one shaft manufacturer to another so a 4.0° from one manufacturer could be another manufacturer's 2.8°. Therefore, I would choose not to emphasize that metric when choosing a shaft unless it's from the same manufacturer.

Also, the PL Red while lower in weight at 63 grams will definitely launch the ball considerably lower with less spin than most shafts on the market. Whether it gets you to where you need to be to maximize your total distance, well that's another question.

It wouldn't be the first time somebody hasn't agreed with me. :clapping:

My recommendations are based on Optimal Flight software, which is a program that uses Trackman as it's basis for calculating maximum distance. By staying at a 3000-3200 spin rate, he will carry the ball further but it will not equate to his maximum distance as his angle of descent will be too high. It will therefore, limit his rollout and that will result in shorter drives.

Now this may only equate to a few yards but it will not be his maximum distance. Of course, this is all debatable but my experiences have proven Optimal Flight to be spot on as it relates to my launch characteristics so that's what I use when making recommendations for others.

You good players with a lot of power are all the same..., you have the ability to make most any club work for you, and so you don't make a great effort to deal with your clubs until you have such a terrible fit as your current driver is. You could be soooo much more consistent with proper equipment.

You won't find a premium fit on this, or any site.

Spend some time and money and find a quality fitter and you will discover a shaft/head combo for your driver that will change your world.

Suggestions include Trackman shops, or many of the clubmakers on the premium shaft sites, including Tour Concept, Nippon Shaft, ACCRA, SST PURE, Certified Rifle, etc.

Caution though, there are a lot of bad clubfitters, ask plenty of questions, and hit a lot of shots.

Regards, 3

...I actually agree with you 100% on this one :clapping: