Back from Bethpage Black

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sweet pics. I played the Black 3 times last summer while I was up in NJ for the summer. Looks like they added a fairway bunker to the 9th hole in the last year for the US Open next year. Did you also get to play from the new back tee on 13?

And for anyone who doesn't believe the Black looks all that difficult, believe me when I say the back 9 is absolutely brutal and the front isn't much easier.

We saw that tee box back there but the blues were not back there so we didn't venture back. But the way that tee box is placed and pointed must be to bring going right into the woods into play (the old tee box leaves room to miss left) and to add even more yardage to the course.

And number 9, we saw on our yardage books there was no bunker on that corner so we were wondering what was up. I did better on the back than the front but I still agree with you, it is much harder than the front nine. By the time I reached the 14th hole I could feel the energy just being sucked out of me (I packed a couple dozen too many golf balls in my bag :man_in_love: ) but that's the worst time to start getting tired. 15 is the number one handicap hole, 16 is a tight driving hole from an elevated tee box, 17 is just a sea of bunkers, and 18 is also tight.

Thanks for all the comments on the pictures!

The tee on 13 plays 605 from the center of the box to the center of the green. Since the green is 27 yards deep and pushing the tees back to the end it can play 620-625. They added the fairway bunker on that hole last year and its actually kind of helpful since if you went left your ball would generally roll all the way down the hill near the road resulting in a punch out assuming of course you found it. The bunker on 9 was built last November. I played it on the 10th and there was nothing there but when I came back a week later on the 18th it was under construction which resulted in a free drop after I put my tee shot into it. :rolleyes:

$50 to play for NY state residents, $100 if you are not.

Some holes the tees were all the way back, some weren't. I probably played it at a hair over 7000. My buddy was down there the very same day (didn't plan it, never saw him) and he teed off about 2 hours after I did. Apparently the grounds crew doesn't care if you go to the very very very tips even when there's no tee markers back there (I really really wanted to but I was a coward and afraid of getting yelled at). I plan on playing it again this August so I'll do what he did. Length really isn't an issue for me, but moving back on some holes will bring the fairway bunkers into play (which at times are a relief to be in)

[sign here]

If anyone's interested shoot me a pm and we can set something up. I'd love to get out with fellow wrxer's. I literally live like 5 mins. from there, just lucky i guess.

It always amazes me to read other peoples perspectives on where i get to play 2-3 times a week :P

I'd love to call that track my home course, thats awesome. What do you normally shoot?

[sign here]

• 2 weeks later...

Awesome post IS! I played the black back in june and it was an amazing experience. My buddy and I pulled into the lot on wednesday night at 9pm and were #2 in line. We were in the first group off at 6:33. The course was absolutely amazing and in great condition. The night before, while trying to get some sleep, I kept telling myself that this was a ridiculous idea (a grown man sleeping in a car to play golf.) But as I walked the course the next day all I could think about was when I was gonna come back and play again. It was just a great experience and your pics brought it all back. The one thing the pics don't do justice to are the elevation changes which are hard to imagine unless you are actually there.

By the way, as the first group off we got around in 4 hours. The two guys we were paired with were the fastest I have ever played with. After nine holes, we let them play ahead of us and we played the back nine as a twosome. The group behind us was just teeing off 15 while we were putting out on 18, a good 1:30 behind us.

Nice pics! I played there 3 times before the '02 Open and got there the night before also. Back then it was $39.00 what is it now?

On the weekends, it's $60 if you're from New York, $120 from out of state (thats what it was a year ago, I've heard that it hasn't really changed much, if it's different someone please correct me)

• 3 months later...
Do You need a handicap card in order to play that course? and is it hard to get to play it? also, are you aloud to play from the tips??

thanks and great pics

Jay

no HC card required (although it probably should be...would speed up the 5.5hr rounds).

difficulty getting on depends on when you want to play (what day, what time of year, what time) and how many players. in my experience, you can easily walk on as a single M-F if you get there early enough.

you can play from the blue tees but their placement varies. sometimes they're set at the 2002 US Open spots but many are not that far back. they've built some additional tee boxes for the '09 Open but you're not really allowed to tee off from the "tips"...i expect they'll be watching even more closely leading up to the closing of the course for US Open prep next season.

It is almost impossible to remember how tragic a place the world is when one is playing golf. -Robert Wilson Lynd

[...] they've built some additional tee boxes for the '09 Open but you're not really allowed to tee off from the "tips"...i expect they'll be watching even more closely leading up to the closing of the course for US Open prep next season.

I tried out some of those boxes recently but got hell from some of the ground crew when they saw me. :tongue:

[...] they've built some additional tee boxes for the '09 Open but you're not really allowed to tee off from the "tips"...i expect they'll be watching even more closely leading up to the closing of the course for US Open prep next season.

I tried out some of those boxes recently but got hell from some of the ground crew when they saw me. :tongue:

My buddy was down there the same day I was and played from as far back as he could, no matter where the blues were. Grounds crew guys saw him but didn't have an issue with it. I agree that as it gets closer and closer to the open, not only is it going to be down right impossible to get on, but freedoms like that will probably disappear as well. I was informed by the starter that the course will be open on limited days after winter (closing on short to no notice), and will be closed for 2 weeks prior to the Open.

There are many holes where the blues were as far back as they could be, and on other holes they weren't. Just depends on the wear and tear.

[sign here]

I live in Huntington, Long Island, NY and the Bethpage complex is only 8 miles from my house. I took a drive over there yesterday as I wanted to see if there was any pre-open activity going on. I have 2 Trophy Club tickets for each day of the Open, and I wanted to have a look. Right next to the Driving Range, there are a couple of large USGA Trailers set up, one with people working inside. It also appears that there is renovation going on in the Pro Shop area. The Black was closed for the Winter and there appears to be miles of orange fencing set up all over the course. Could be for snow drifts, I'm not really sure. It had rained in the morning but it was sunny and fairly warm when I was there, but surprisingly there were very few players on the Red, Green, Yellow, or Blue. The courses ALL looked MAGNIFICENT!! As often as I have played Bethpage, driving in on Round Swamp Road, and looking at that massive Golf Complex, (Especially the Black), it reminded me of how that course just DARES you to take it on! If you are a serious golfer, do yourself a favor, and do whatever it takes to play the Black at least once in your lifetime. I PROMISE you, it is a golfing experience you will cherish for the rest of your life. :clapping:

Everything in Moderation, Keep it Simple, Less is Best
G10 Pings - D 9*, 3W 15.5*, H 18*, 4-PW, 50*, 54*, 58*
Redwood Zing
Titleist ProV1

I live in Huntington, Long Island, NY and the Bethpage complex is only 8 miles from my house. I took a drive over there yesterday as I wanted to see if there was any pre-open activity going on. I have 2 Trophy Club tickets for each day of the Open, and I wanted to have a look. Right next to the Driving Range, there are a couple of large USGA Trailers set up, one with people working inside. It also appears that there is renovation going on in the Pro Shop area. The Black was closed for the Winter and there appears to be miles of orange fencing set up all over the course. Could be for snow drifts, I'm not really sure. It had rained in the morning but it was sunny and fairly warm when I was there, but surprisingly there were very few players on the Red, Green, Yellow, or Blue. The courses ALL looked MAGNIFICENT!! As often as I have played Bethpage, driving in on Round Swamp Road, and looking at that massive Golf Complex, (Especially the Black), it reminded me of how that course just DARES you to take it on! If you are a serious golfer, do yourself a favor, and do whatever it takes to play the Black at least once in your lifetime. I PROMISE you, it is a golfing experience you will cherish for the rest of your life. :clapping:

I drove around the area after I played, and down that road that cuts between the 1st hole and the rest of the course. I drove through a couple developments and seriously considered the future possibility of buying a house down there when I get older.

I'm amazed they're already setting up. I guess theres no such thing as being extra prepared. I've got tickets for Friday, super excited but I bet I'll be itching to play again.

[sign here]

I read your post and looked at the pictures and started getting all excited as I am going to be in NYC for a convention in June. Then I called the park and found out that Black is closed for the whole month...s#*t!

For you guys that live in the area, where is the next best place to play that is within an hour's drive?

I read your post and looked at the pictures and started getting all excited as I am going to be in NYC for a convention in June. Then I called the park and found out that Black is closed for the whole month...s#*t!

For you guys that live in the area, where is the next best place to play that is within an hour's drive?

Right there. There are 5 courses in the complex and they are all very good. The Red is damn near as tough as the Black. Not sure if they will be shutting down one of the other 4 for Tournament Driving Range, Corp Tents, Vendors, etc. But call and ask. Even the Black is open for public play from about late March until end of May I believe. Also, there are about 165 golf courses between Montalk Point and NYC on Long Island. Of course, in that same area, (24 miles x 110 miles) there are 4 Million people. And all but 2 people play golf! :cheesy:

Redwood Zing
Titleist ProV1

Right there. There are 5 courses in the complex and they are all very good. The Red is damn near as tough as the Black. Not sure if they will be shutting down one of the other 4 for Tournament Driving Range, Corp Tents, Vendors, etc. But call and ask. Even the Black is open for public play from about late March until end of May I believe. Also, there are about 165 golf courses between Montalk Point and NYC on Long Island. Of course, in that same area, (24 miles x 110 miles) there are 4 Million people. And all but 2 people play golf! :cheesy:

OK, then of the 165, which are your top 5?

OK, then of the 165, which are your top 5?

I assume you mean Public, and I also assume you will be staying in NYC. If that is the case, on Long Island, in Nassau county, (The Western most county) which is closest to NYC), do a search on: Eisenhower Park, 3 great courses and Bethpage, 5 great courses. You can either take a train or drive to both. About an hour from the "Big Apple". There are many more nice public courses but most of the good ones are out in Suffolk county which is much further from the city. Nassau county is loaded with very nice Private Country clubs.

Redwood Zing
Titleist ProV1

• 2 weeks later...

this is an awesome thread, thanks for making it. Dont know if I missed it already, but if you dont mind me asking.....what did it set you back to play htis monster?

callaway epic max ls MMT x
Ping G25 15* Black Tie

818 H2 set 21* evenflow 6.5

HOGAN ft worth black x100

cleveland 50* scratch  54 & 60 customs T&A
Cleveland TA milled options