The Numbers Game: What's Your Bag Worth?

staff@thesandtrap.com

By Dave Koster via thesandtrap.com
There are two values of your golf bag, its real value and its sentimental value.

tng_title.gifI have friends that have had their golf bag stolen or lost. I've also heard stories of a bag being destroyed with all its contents… think of a Seinfeld episode here. Regardless, your bag and clubs not only hold a real value, but a sentimental one as well. The question is, how much is it all worth to you? I'll run down my bag and tell you what mine is worth not only to be physically replaced, but in my mind (or heart) as well.

Woods
I have a Titleist 905S that I've owned for about a year now. Before that, it was a 983K… and before that was a 975 JVS. As you can see, I've had a Titleist driver in my bag for quite a while now. All have been traded for their newer versions. The current asking price for a used 905S is around $150. As for sentimental value, I'd give it another $150. It hasn't been in my bag that long, but it would take more than $150 to get a Titleist driver out of my bag.

As for my fairway metal, I have an old Callaway Steelhead Plus that has been with me for over six years. I didn't think that I would hold onto it for so long, and I was surprised that this club can be had for only $25. As for what it means to me, it is a bit more. Let's just put that value at around $150.

I just purchased a Taylor Made TP hybrid last year and have only played a few rounds with it. Since it is barely used, I could probably get around $200 for it (it does have the Diamana shaft in it.) I'm not terribly attached, so that doesn't inflate its value. I've just started using it and am not completely sold on it yet.

Woods Totals:
Market Value - $375
Sentimental Value - $500

Irons
The current irons I'm playing are the Mizuno Pro IIs that came out years ago. I've been playing them for almost as long as my Steelhead. Similar to my affection for Titleist drivers, I have an affinity for Mizuno irons. I have hit the MP series irons as well and if I went to a newer set, those would most likely be it.

As for the going price of a set of used Pro II's (3-PW) it is only around $150. The value I hold for them? At least $500. When I do go to those newer irons, these won't be sold. Not only are they hardly worth much… they are still pretty to look at and the wedge was responsible for my second hole in one.

Irons Totals:
Market Value - $150
Sentimental Value - $500

Wedges
For a while I had strictly used Cleveland wedges. Last year I converted to Vokeys and haven't looked back. My 52° wedge is a plain chrome version that I picked up used from a friend. They are going for about $35 used on a popular Internet auction site. As for sentimental value, I can't really give it that much more.

As for my lob wedge, a 58° Vokey spin milled, it is worth a little more. Another used-item pickup, it is worth around $80 on that same popular Internet auction site. This one would be a little harder to part with because it has quickly become a favorite in my bag. I'd give it a little higher value… say $125 because, well, that's what I think.

Wedges Totals:
Market Value - $115
Sentimental Value - $160

Putter
I don't go through many putters. I think that it is more important to find a putter with which you feel confident than to always have the latest flatstick. Once I get ahold of one I like the feel of, it will take a lot for me to get rid of it. Early last year I swapped an old black Scotty Cameron Coronado out for a center shafted Odyssey Two-Ball. I've had a good deal of success with the new putter and haven't looked back.

Currently they are running around $90. I have a bit of a connection with my putters. In fact, I have the ones I used through high school and college. So I'll bump that value up to about $150.

Putter Totals:
Market Value - $90
Sentimental Value - $150

So What's My Bag Worth?
The market value of my bag (or at least the clubs inside of it) is $730. This is pretty close to what I thought it would be… of course it would be nice if it was a bit more, but I'm realistic. The reason for the relatively low value is that used clubs devalue pretty quickly and I have more than a few clubs that are older and really used.

As for the sentimental side, the total is $1,310. This is why I thought it would be interesting to put an actual number behind the statement "Well, my clubs are worth more to me." If something unfortunate happens to them, now I know what that value is. You may think this is a bit weird, but I challenge you to think about this a bit and see what you come up with.

What's Your Bag Worth?
Post your numbers in the comments (below) or in our forum.

"This article is republished with permission from The Sand Trap .com and
remains copyright © The Sand Trap .com. All rights and privileges reserved."

Click for Article>>>Here

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Woods

I bought a Ping G2 driver about a year ago with Adila NV 65 shaft. I love this driver, I paid £200 for it but its probs only worth just over a £100 now. Its in great condition and it's easy to hit so to replace it would have to be something much better and to replace it would with a better driver would cost me £250 plus. So sentimental value to me would be about what i paid for it because i dont believe theres anything better for me on the market at that price!

Dont carry a 3 wood or 5 wood

Rescue club is a Talyormade rescue dual Tp which is not even a month old, cost me £189 and its hardly used so recon i could get £170 for it but it would be worth what i paid for it to me!

Mkt value: £290

Sentimental: £389

Irons

Was bought some Titleist 735.cm stainless for chrimbo and love em, picked em up for £499, 3-PW. not had chance to use em much yet but really like them,not sure how much they would be worth on an well known online auction site suppose about £400 but would be worth the replacement value as i love them

Mkt value: £400

Sentimental: £500

Wedges

I have two Cleveland 588 Gunmetal wedges in 54 and 60. I lvoe the 60 which is a much older model of the 588, im not sure if the design of the 588 has changed through it life span but it looks alot better than new 588 in gunmetal so i think it probs worth £80 to me, i paid £40 for it about a year and half ago and it pretty much nackered now with grooves on their last legs so recon its worth £20. The 54 im not that attached to, i paid £70 for it a year ago would would take £50 for it now so i could replace it with something better or well suited to me.

Mkt value: £70

Sentimental value: £130

Putter

In the bag at the mo is my Ping zing putter with pink yes! golf grip! I love this putter and grip but more importantly it was bought for me by my Girl friend so its kinda got alot of sentimental value! probably not worth more than £50.

Mkt value: £50

Sentimental value: £150

there we go!

total bag value:

Mkt value: £810

Sentimental value: £1,169

Alex

Yeah I hate trade-in places! Let's say you just bought a brand new 905T from Golf Galaxy for $399. You go out and play w/ it for maybe 2 rounds and a range session here and there. It's looks new and is in all nice shape. But then you decide that this driver isn't for you. You go back to Golf Galaxy and ask fro a trade-in. They'll offer you like $150 for it. You're out $250 just for using it a couple times! That's why I love ebay. Things go for a lot more. You would prolly get like $250-$300 for it (depending on shaft and loft). Trade-ins are such a joke. Go eBay or golfclubexchange.com! You'll get so much better pricing there.

This is a hard one to judge, but I'll give it a run. This analysis is for my GAmers, not my backup/rotational clubs.

Driver - TaylorMade R5-N, Accra T60 shaft. The driver is the most susceptible club in the bag to change for me. Unfortunately - I paid full retail for a TaylorMade R5, then more $$$ for reshafting it with a spined Accra T60. I tend to not have any allegiance to a Driver, if I find something else that works/feels better.

Market Value - $400 new, perhaps $175 on the used market

Sentimental Vaue - None attached to this club. It's liable to be sold if it doesn't perform

Fairway Woods -Titleist 980F's (15* and 19*) I tend to migrate woods about every 2-3 years, but I'm VERY happy with my woods. But the newer 904F's perform better IMO. I"m fairly loyal to Titleist fairway woods, as I like the feel at impact.

Market Value - $339 for the pair when bought, probably $160 for the pair on the used market.

Sentimental Vaue - None attached other than used market value.

Irons - I'm playing my beloved Hogan Apex Edge Pros, which have a LOT of sentimental value, since they're one of the last great irons to come out of the Fort Worth factory. Since Callaway bought HOgan, who knows where this beloved brandwill be. I paid full retail for them back in 2003.

Market Value - $600 new, perhaps $225 on the used market.

Sentimental Value - Add $200 to the used market value, as they're WORTH $400-$500 in my mind.

Wedges - Ping M/B 56*/60*. I love these wedges, but sadly - they've lost their spot in the bag to Bridgestone J33 wedges. I buy/sell wedges on the used market when I can - but it's nice to have NEW grooves. I try to stick with my wedges for a long time, but recent club changes have me changing my gamers (to the J33's) and backups (to Mizuno MP series wedges)

Market Value - $190 new, perhaps $100 on the used market for the pair.

Sentimental Value - None attached other than used market value.

Putter - Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2. I'm a VERY loyal Scotty Cameron "Newport 2" guy. However - I've bought a 34" version to accomodate my stance better. My gamer is now the 34" version, the 35" version is in the closet. I use a 34" Newport BEACH for practicing, as I feel that the slot gives me better audible and tactile feedback when practicing. But the SSN2 is a more consistent putter for on-course rounds.

Market Value - $210 new for my gamer, perhaps $175 on the used market.

Sentimental Value - At LEAST $200 needs to be added to the used market value, as it will be difficult to get an identical gamer to my unit. The SSN2 34"/340g version is very hard to find, and might prove impossible to replace in the condition mine is in. If this club ever went away - I might have to spend BIG bucks for a Tour model with the specs I want in order to replace it, or perhaps $300-$400 for a used putter and having it refinished by Scotty.

Backup/Rotational Clubs: Let's not go down this twisted road. I have a backup Driver, backup irons, Wedges, and a Practice putter, as well as another putter in the closet. I have a lot of fun with additional clubs that I find/trade, and sell for experimental and other uses. (for example I rotate a 2-iron with my 5Wood sometimes) I won't go into this road.

SUMMARY - The only true sentimental club I have in my possession is my Putter. It is a lovely putter, performs well, and is going to be impossible to replace. Everything else in the bag is pretty much tradebait based on performance.

Totals

Market Value New - $1739

Market Value Used - $835

Sentimental Value - Add another $400 for sentimental and (hard to) replace value

Driver Titleist 983K tour

3 wood, Titleist 900 series

2-PW Mizuno, MP 29

56 degree, Wilson custom via Bob Mandrella, copy of Ken Venturi's gamer

60 degree, TSC Cleveland 588

Scotty 009 prototype

My cost for the 14 clubs...$2,200 roughly

Sentimental value...Priceless! (like the Mastercard as says)

Thanks, Lawson

TM M2 driver (2016)
TM M2 3 and 5 woods (2017)
PXG 19 degree hybrid

PXG 4 iron, XF
Epon 303 5-PW
Miura wedges, 55 degree C grind, 59 degree Y grind
Cameron 009 (sometimes a 1964 Designed by Palmer)