Aldila VS Proto

Ironplayer,

That is a good point. It may be the bore thru. I have an older 975 LFE that I might put a Regular flex in. I always liked the 905S, how do you hit that? Also, any other shafts that you like that won't break the bank? I was thinking of maybe a Aldila NVS. I read that this is a high trajectory shaft. I was thinking it would provide a better launch angle.? Thanks!

Ping 410 LST 9* X

Taylormade super fast 2.0 15* S

Ping 400 19* S

Ping i210 S 4-W

Ping Stealth 2.0  52,56,60

Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if you haven't tried yet, Grafalloy Comp NT is a great shaft for the price (you can get one under $60 on ebay). For the first time in my history of 9 drivers over the last 5 years, i'm thinking of putting Regular flex in the big stick.

....Trying to decide between Comp NT 65 vs. VS Proto 70.

fyi, my ss is around 103~108, carry around 240-260 with my TM 425 TP 9.5

Can anyone comment on the difference if any between the Aldila Proto By You 65 that i see on ebay vs how the 60, 70, or 80 models play? I know the Aldila website only shows the 60,70 and 80 shafts. I see the 65s as stock shaft choice to a lot of drivers. Is there a big performance difference in the 65? I am thinking about putting a 65 stiff in my XL tour. Swing speed is 106. Do i need to pay the extra to get a new 70 versoin from golfsmith or some place or should i get the cheaper 65 version?

Thanks all,

Can anyone comment on the difference if any between the Aldila Proto By You 65 that i see on ebay vs how the 60, 70, or 80 models play? I know the Aldila website only shows the 60,70 and 80 shafts. I see the 65s as stock shaft choice to a lot of drivers. Is there a big performance difference in the 65? I am thinking about putting a 65 stiff in my XL tour. Swing speed is 106. Do i need to pay the extra to get a new 70 versoin from golfsmith or some place or should i get the cheaper 65 version?

Thanks all,

I think you can pretty much say across the board that the stock shafts in drivers are less quality than an aftermarket shaft direct from the company. It makes sense too, from a profit stand point for the driver company. Also if you're looking at the 65 on ebay, is it a pull out? Cause who knows who did the work or if the shaft was abused- that may be picky but that's just me. I'd say if you're really a serious golfer, which you probably are being on golfwrk, get the 70s

thanks for the feed back. after doing some more searches on golfwrx i found other topics regarding the 65 vs versions. everyone seems to be in agreement that these shafts don't have the same exact materials or qualities of the after market 60, 70, and 80 versions.

I"m leaning now towards the 70 or 80 in a stiff tipped quarter or half inch to put into a xl tour. the other option i'm considering is a 76 ust v2 stiff also tipped a quarter inch. trying to bring spin rate down a little with a mid launch. i started a new topic asking for anyone's comparison of these two model shafts. thanks.

After trying different head and shaft combo's, i finally decided on a Titleist 906F4 13.5* with Aldila VS Proto "By You" 80-S. It's such a good shaft for my swing at this moment. The flight is boring and allows plenty of roll on our dry Melbourne fairways. I know distance isn't a massive deal, but into the wind i have been outdriving many of my friends with this 3 wood/shaft combo.

Could not be happier

Titleist 909D3 w/ Diamana Whiteboard 73x
Titleist 906F2 w/ Diamana Bluebored 83x
Mizuno MP-4 3-PW w/ KBS C-Taper x-flex
Scratch Tour Department 52*
Cleveland Reg. 588 56* & 60*
Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 2

• 2 weeks later...
After trying different head and shaft combo's, i finally decided on a Titleist 906F4 13.5* with Aldila VS Proto "By You" 80-S. It's such a good shaft for my swing at this moment. The flight is boring and allows plenty of roll on our dry Melbourne fairways. I know distance isn't a massive deal, but into the wind i have been outdriving many of my friends with this 3 wood/shaft combo.

Could not be happier

funny thing is i just bought the same exact club/shaft setup as you today. bomb the hell out of the thing!

• 4 weeks later...

I just ordered a FT-5 9.5 with the Proto 70 Stiff. I am very excited about this combo. I have a Launcher 460 with the YS-6+ which was not playing well for me. Felt a bit week. Everything seemed to be a high hook. I took some swings with this combo and I was either going dead straight or with a slight fade and I never do that. Launch and spin was perfect. I was a bit worried it might be too stiff for me from what I heard. My swing speed is 103-108 with an aggressive tempo and it felt solid. Can't wait to try it out on the course.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

hey guys does anyone know what the slowest swing speed is recommended for the vs proto driver shaft reg flex

i just bought the cleveland hi bore xls driver with the vs proto reg flex shaft and am not sure if the trajectory is too low for me or perhaps i should persist more with it?

my ss is aprox 90-97 mph i'm 52 years old and have been playing golf for 18 months

cloudlx can i ask you why you dont have it in your present driver?

i have been playing golf for 18 months now and find that the shaft may be a bit much for me..according to the aldila website it says that the vs proto has a low to mid launch and i find that to be accurate in the sense of sometimes my ball goes along close to the ground and other times it goes on a pleasing mid flight trajectory!

i used to have a callaway FT-i driver with a fujikura speeder 586 shaft with a high trajectory and often found it to be too high..this is why i'm thinking that the aldila DVS shaft will be the correct shaft for me with a mid launch and extra kick at impact.

i do like the vs proto but its too inconsistant for me...mind you i did drive the ball about 280 yds once with the proto and my ss is about 89-98 mph but that was a one of!

can you answer my question above...what would be the slowest swing speed to get benefit from the vs proto?

hey guys does anyone know what the slowest swing speed is recommended for the vs proto driver shaft reg flex

i just bought the cleveland hi bore xls driver with the vs proto reg flex shaft and am not sure if the trajectory is too low for me or perhaps i should persist more with it?

my ss is aprox 90-97 mph i'm 52 years old and have been playing golf for 18 months

you should be fine with the 60 or 65 gram VS Proto, with Regular flex. But you need a bit higher loft, maybe 10.5 or so. Ball flight is ok, not too extreme low, but it can be low at times.

i notice the roll is very good in this shaft, so you will hit it LONG on total yardage!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I had a Titlest 906R (Backup Driver) with an Aldila NV 75X shaft. I used to hit a really high floating ball flight. I got fitted and was told i had a spin rate of 4500rpms. I was introduced to a bunch of different shafts with mixed results before finally trying the VS Proto 80X. Immediately my spin rate dropped to 2500rpms and gained 11 yards of carry and another 11 in roll. The only problem i have with this shaft is that I have to basically swing all out all the time and have a tough time working the ball.

• 3 weeks later...

i`m searching for a new driver, but i live in south america and you can´t make any fiting process here so you can only buy clubs for internet and pray for made a good choice of flex and loft in a club.

I´m between a taylormade tour burner standard 9.5* with vs proto stiff 65 grams or a titleist D2 9.5 with diamana blue board 65 stiff... my old driver is a macgregor nvg2 tour 445cc 9* with the stock fujikura speeder quaddra action 70gr stiff(in won`t buy any stock shaft of any brand in my hole life) that a considered to weak and want a stiffer shaft that wont make hook tha ball.

i dont know my current swing speed but im 17 years old 15 hdcp and mi average driver is about 270 total distance and i play an old set of titleist DCI 990 forged 6 iron 170 carry distance... have anybody a suggestion??

• 1 month later...

I got SS of 102-107mph, aggressive tempo. I replaced the stock shaft on my Srixon w403 ad with Aldila vs proto 70 S. I also got it stiff tipped .25", playable to length of 44.5" (I'am 5'7"). With the stock stiff shaft at 59g, I was all over the place. I kept popping the ball up high right. The club head is really good, I was able to hit a couple 300+ yards at the end of the season, but the stock shaft was weak and out of control.

I got it reshafted a month ago (golftown sale (90 buck CAD) here in Canada) with the vs proto 70, watch out!!!! average carry was 272, dispersion was tight 25 yards compared to before. This shaft is awesome, and the combo is great. There was a slight fade in majority of my shots. Launch angle was 10*-14* with boring trajectory. Spin rate was around 2700-3100. I highly recommend this shaft, I've tried blue board, red board, whiteboard, speeder 757, fitonE360, NV75, USTV2. The whiteboard produced slightly better numbers and feel, but I could not justify spending over 100 bucks on a $40 clubhead. The vs proto was the next best thing and I am happy.

I thank all the members on the site for the valuable information they've provided. GolfWRX is awesome. I started playing golf last April, I've learned so much from everybody here. I think i'll be able to shoot in the 90's consistently now that I have confidence of the tee box.

Lol time to take the championship belt from my buddies and tie it around my bag.

South Carolina here we come.......hope the weather cooperates.

Winter sucks!!!

• 1 month later...

New VS compared to the old VS.

I noticed on the Aldila web site, the torque has been upped for this shaft. I have the original VS shafts with 2.5 torque, the new model has a 2.8 torque. Has anyone switched to the new 2.8 VS shafts? I hit the 2.5 fairly well but a tad boardy, I've hit 2.8 shafts e.g. VooDoo, feels much better and about 10 more yards. Your thoughts?

Hybrid shafts. Looking at NV, NVS and VS Proto. Which one will allow a mid boring trajectory lowest spin and most distance out of the three? Looking to reshaft my mizuno CLK 20* hybrid-hate the stock exsar shaft, dispersion is too much and it's too wipy for me. Which shaft would give me a mid, boring trajectory with this head. Any ideas?

Rogue 10.5* GDIZ 55s
Rogue 17* GDIZ 75s
Titleist H1 3H GDDI 85s
PXG GEN6 0311P 5-GW Aerotech SteelFiber Private Reserve 110S
Vokey SM6 54-S, 58-M NS Pro Modus 105S
Toulon Austin Stroke Lab 34" Putter Pistol Grip

Chrome Soft/ProV1 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Best shaft I've ever played. I initially bought a PING Rapture Hybrid (24 Degree, Proto 80-S). I can't miss with the club. I regularly am within 20 feet of the pin on 175-180 Yard approaches. Loved that club so much, I ended up going with the Rapture Driver (9 Degree, Proto 65-S), Rapture Fairway (17 Degree, Proto 85-S), and Rapture Hybrid (21 Degree, Proto 80-S). I couldn't be happier. I've gained both distance and accuracy, which in turn, has increased my confidence on the tee. I used to really struggle with 175-225 Yard Shots, and now I look forward to it. I love the trajectory. I love that I can attack the ball, without much dispersion on my shots. I'm a good 15-20 Yards farther with my Driver as well. Like I said, best shaft I've ever played. I've never broken 80, but I'm very close. If only I could figure out putting!

• 2 weeks later...