Aldila VS Proto

Ok... I think I've found the answer to my question.

In terms of Launch from Highest to Lowest we have:

-NVS

-VS Proto

-NV

-ProtoPype

In terms of Spin from Highest to Lowest we have:

-NVS

-NV

-VS Proto

-ProtoPype

Let me know if this seems right for you guys

I think your ranking is spot on ;)

Thanks for doing the research :)

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Hit 1000's of balls comparing the VS Proto (80 X stiff) with the diamana blue and whiteboard's (73 X) and found the Proto to be a better shaft for my swing. It produced a mid ball flight on my driver and hybrid. I purchased a FT-5 and Adams Tour Prototype 2i hybrid with the Proto shaft and couldn't be happier.

Ball flight was mid to high with no ballooning whatsever. Easy to work the ball left and right or high or low. Very consistent shaft that doesn't cause a big hook/slice when you go after it. Distance and accuracy were both spot on.... For me this shaft is the best I've played, just above the Graman transition 780X!

Definitely recommend this shaft but as always test it out/compare it to other before shelling out the $.

• 3 weeks later...

Here is my question: I have demoed the sumo driver with this proto 65s shaft. I love the feel, but I think it is too light.

My driver swing speed is around 110mph, but can go a little higher when I go after it. Just going off of that, which version of this proto would you recomend?

stiff or x stiff

75gram or 85 gram?

thanks.

My ss is right around 110-115 also and I have a stock 65x in my speed pro D and the x-flex is just right. The VS Proto only comes in either 70 or 80 grams so if 65 is too light, I don't think you'll notice any difference if you get the 70 gram. Also, on that Sumo the x flex heavier shaft will keep your spin down more. I haven't hit that driver but it seems that with the CG being so far back it will balloon on you with that higher swing speed.

• 4 weeks later...

I had the stock shaft (E-150, Stiff) in my FT-5 Driver which produced way way way too much spin in the form of 3600 - 3800 RPMs. Went to a Callaway Fitting Day and was fit via the Optifit cart and found the VS Proto 80-S and my 10º Neutral Head was the best combination for me.

I only have a SS in the Mid 90's so the 80-S is alot of shaft for me, and I most likely never would have picked this one on my own. But the numbers don't lie, with the VS Proto 80-S installed, my spin down around 2700 RPMs my launch angle increased to 12º-13º and my distance way up. I've been loving this driver ever since.

I tried a new FT-5 with a VS Proto S 80 gram shaft and WOW. looks like there may be a spot open in my bag for that club...

Instagram account

Titleist TSi4 8.25* / Fujikura Ventus Black TR 7-X
TaylorMade Aero Burner TP 15° / Matrix White Tie 70-X
Taylormade SIM UDI 2i / Diamana THUMP 100X

Taylormade P770 3i (at 22°) / Project X LS 6.5 

Taylormade P7MC 5-7, P7MB 8, 9 / Project X LS 6.5 

Taylormade P7MB P / DG S400

Taylormade MG3 50° (at 52°) / DG S400

Taylormade MG3 TW 56° and 60° / DG S400

Odyssey White Hot OG 7CH 34"

I just got the Titleist D2 9.5 VS Proto 65 shaft and have found that the launch and spin are way higher than I thought they would be. I had the 905 S w/ 8.5* and GD YS7 shaft and my launch #'s were around 11* launch and spin about 2600-2800 and now with the D2 my #'s are 15-16* launch and spin 3500-3700. I really wish I had gone with either the 80g shaft or X flex. I guess that I will give it a little longer before deciding what to do.

• 2 weeks later...

You should try a lower loft than what you had in the 905s. That head was a very low CG/spin head. If you liked the YS 7, try it again with an x flex and tip it an inch or so so get the spin down. If you have the resources, the diamana whiteboard will get your spin down to the levels of your old head but with more forgiveness. The v-2 is a good head, you just need the right shaft. Adam Scott is using it with an 80x proto and he's been killing his tee shots. I have to assume he tipped it al least a little. Good luck.

• 1 month later...

Can use some help here.

Playing with a Cleveland 400 9.5 Degree Driver with a Prolite Shaft.

Zelocity Radar analysis shows a 100-105 swing speed; a 10-11 degree launch angle and around 2800 spin.

I wish to order the Nike Sumo Squared Two Driver. Looking at Shafts to optimize.

Was thinking of ordering the Aldila VS Proto Shaft with a S flex and a 10.5 degree head in the Sumo Squared Two. Figured that would improve my launch angle to an optimal 12-14 degrees.

My present ball flight is too low and robs me yardage.

I have hit the Aldila shaft in the Sumo and it feels good, but had no radar that day.

Suggestions Please!!!! (P.S. I get a free Sumo, so that is why I am ordering one!).

Is the VS Proto in stiff flex too much shaft for 98-102 mph swing speed with smooth tempo and mid -draw ball flight

does this play stiffer or softer than NV 65? V2? YS6? in similar flex

Taylormade M2 - 9.5*
Taylormade M4 - 16.5*
Callaway Steelhead III 21*
Callaway Apex Tour 4-A wedge 
Callaway Mack Daddy 56 & 60
Mcgregor Bobby Grace M5K (lh)

I do believe the 70-S is the best driver shaft I've hit.... for me. That's saying a lot since I've played the Speeder 757, Diamana Blue, Diamana Red, Rombax 6W06, Graf NT proto, Accra T60, V2 and Epic.

It came as a big surprise that this shaft performed so well. Distance, dispersion and most important, it can take all I can dish out, the head is at the ball when it should be, everytime.

• 3 weeks later...
Has anyone tried the VS Proto in an R7 425?If so how did it compare to other shafts in this head,,or maybe a SuperQuad TP with the VS Proto??? I would appreciate any info at all.

Help,,anyone!

Still waiting.

Also,,my ss is 96-102,,should I try the 70 VS Proto instead of the 60? My head is a TM 425 9.5 tour issue and I currently have an AXIV 6568L.

Has anyone tried the VS Proto in an R7 425?If so how did it compare to other shafts in this head,,or maybe a SuperQuad TP with the VS Proto??? I would appreciate any info at all.

Help,,anyone!

I can not give you a comparison against other shafts, but I love the combination and know I got it right on the first attempt. I am done. r7 425 TP with VS Proto 80X. I tipped the shaft 1", and got the weights dialed in just right. If I need to I can bring down the trajectory, but only if I am in extreemly windy conditions.

Swing speed 116 - 118

• 2 weeks later...

I have the 85s in my 3 wood and LOVE it. Dead straight everytime. Most reliable club in my bag (excluding the trusty PW).

Ping G400 LST 9* - Diamana Kai'li 70x
Ping G30 14.5* - UST VTS Silver 7F5
Adams DHY Pro 18* - Aldila Proto 95x
Srixon Z545 4i - UST Recoil 110 F5
Srixon Z785 5-PW - Modus 120x
Cleveland 588 Rotex 2.0  - DG S400
Tommy Armour 845 DLT Todd Sones
Srixon Z Star

"Dont play too much golf. Two rounds per day is plenty." - Harry Vardon

"Every day that I missed practicing takes me one day longer to be good." Ben Hogan

• 1 month later...

I have the 60-S in my 8.5* 425 TP and it flies much lower than the 65-S Reax shaft that I had in it but the shot dispersion is much better. Run baby run i tell it every tee shot. I might try a regular to get the ball up a bit but I'm worried about spraying it.

Titleist TSR2 8* Tensei Blue 55R

Callaway Paradym TD 15* Hazardous Gen 4 5.5

Callaway Paradym TD 18* Hazardous Gen 4 5.5

Callaway Paradym 21* 4H Hazardous Gen 4 5.5

Ping I230 Orange 4-UW DG 105 R300

Vokey SM9 Black 54-10S 

Vokey SM8 Black 58-8M
Scotty Cameron Flowback 5.5 35"

Hi, just a quick question from Spain....I bought a Callaway FT5 9.5 at Ebay and it will come (tomorrow) with the Fuji E360 S. I haven't tried yet but I demoed one with the VS Proto 65 Stiff and I loved it. My greatest doubt is about weight: which of the Protos should I get?, the 60s, 70s or 80s?.

I hit my drivers between 260 and 270 yards...and I am looking for high launch and moderate spin. I actually have a fast tempo, not very, very fast but fast (actually I am more of a hitter than a swinger). I cannot get the desired height with my current Mizuno MP 01 with the Aldila NV 65S. Any suggestions?

Thaks.

• 2 weeks later...

Just took a splurge and got the MacGregor NVG2 Draw fitted with VS Proto 60-R.

The original stock shaft was Fujikura Quadra Action Stiff, and it was a fine shaft, but a little weak.

It just could not stand the overloading.

Wow, what a difference!

It feels like strong muscle working with your swing.

Tight dispersion, and the wonderful confident feel.

Now I can load the shaft, and actually feel it, so I can control it.

I think the distance is about the same, maybe +5~10 due to tight dispersion.

My ss is about 93~98 mph with Aaron B's Stack & Tilt swing, and I like the feel of 60-R.

• 4 weeks later...

JHR-
You mentioned this compared to your Pro 95. I was comparing some torque ratings from differant shafts, and noted that the VS Proto 80S is 2.2 and the Fuji 757 is a 2.5. Would you say this is a better "feel" shaft and smother than the 757. The reason I ask is that many are saying this is a very smooth shaft and I have in my minds eye, Diamana Red board and Blueboard. The RB of course having a livelier feel and more active tip section. So I'm thinking this VS Proto is livelier than other similar stiff shafts.
Just bought 2 R7 TP ST (supposed tour issue) FW 's, 15* and 18* and they have the VS Proto 80 S pre "by you" shafts. I have been playing a 906F4 with a ZCOM PRO 95 S and I'm hoping I've not screws up and threw money down the drain yet again.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

• 1 month later...

Does the VS Proto 65 produce a high ball flight or a lower ball flight. The Aldila site says it's a lower ball flight shaft. I'm looking to try it in the Superquad. Anyone hit it with the Superquad? Is it a very stiff feeling shaft? I hit the NV Stiff a while ago and i thought it was too stiff feeling. My swing speed is low 100s, just didn't like the feel.

• 1 month later...

I would definitely say the S flex. I have a similiar swing speed and have the Titleist 907 D1 with the VS proto 60 gram Stiff. I feel that this shaft is almost to stiff for me. Although it has been quite cold out and only played with it about 5 rounds. I hit the club very straight on a Low/mid trajectory, but I have seemed to lose some distance compared to my old driver (Cleveland Ti 460 - YS 6 X). Hope this helps!

Ping 410 LST 9* X

Taylormade super fast 2.0 15* S

Ping 400 19* S

Ping i210 S 4-W

Ping Stealth 2.0  52,56,60

Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

TDPearl,

Maybe it's because of the head (bore through). I have 905S with Comp NT S, and it really feels like X-stiff. I played the same shaft (NT) at X-Stiff with a bridgetone, and this combo (Titleist 905S + NT S) feels like X-stiff.

So, i'm thinking of trying out Regular flex with the 905S.

I currently play with 425 TP 9.5 with its stock Rombax 65. But being a long time Titleist driver fan... i gotta have at least one driver in play...just to satisfy myself. and the new ones 905R, D1, D2 aren't really my cup of t...