Itch- Who Plays Steel in their Driver?

Big Al

I have the itch to play a driver with a steel shaft. I have never done so and i know some heavy graphite shafts can play like steel but i just gotta know!

I'm thinkin of putting a True Temper TX90 shaft in my G2 to see what it's like! what do u all think and what have been ur experiences with playing steel shafts in drivers. Oh and anyother sugestions on shaft choice would be good :cheesy:

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the itch to play a driver with a steel shaft. I have never done so and i know some heavy graphite shafts can play like steel but i just gotta know!

I'm thinkin of putting a True Temper TX90 shaft in my G2 to see what it's like! what do u all think and what have been ur experiences with playing steel shafts in drivers. Oh and anyother sugestions on shaft choice would be good :cheesy:

My opinion about 2 irons and steel shafted drivers is that if Tiger Woods doesn't use either of them, NO one in the world should ever consider using them. If TW can't hit the 2 irons anymore, no one can. As far as a steel shafted driver, there are SOOO many better alternatives.

But, to each his own!

I had and used a 983K w/ a DG S300 from Titleist, and i liked it. I was about 15 yards shorter than a Graphite version, very easy to control and very accurate. That being said, i would never do it again, with all the Graphite choices available, there is no point in it.

Of course the way i drive the ball now a days, maybe i should get that club back. LOL.

John.

I say do it! What the heck, right? If you dont like it take it out. Sure Tiger doesnt play a steel shaft anymore, but he's not winning by huge margins either. I hit a 975D w/ a steel shaft yesterday and really likeed it. Sure it was 20 yards or so shorter, but i could really lay into it and it wasnt all over the map. I talked to Kwok about this and he reccomneded an X around 80 grams to get it more like the steel and keep the distance.

If you want to hit more fairways, and if your tempo can put up with the heavier club, I would encourage you to do it.

The idea that because Tiger doesn't use one no one on earth should is total bunk. I would like to see the stats on his driving then compared to now... (of course that means some stats nut will force feed it to me now) I think that more pro's are being pushed to use graphite for all the wrong reasons. Some of them might just be trying to get a few yards back on the monster courses tha they play on a daily basis.

There are some great heavy graphites out there for sure, but none of them seem to produce the targeting capacity that good old heavy steel does. I am in line waiting to get a 905R with a Dynamic Gold S300 in it so I can have a 44 inch club in the drivers seat again...

Besides, what will you be out for the experiment anyway? $10.00 and an hours worth of work. Sounds better than a GD Prototype for $300.oo to me...

• 1 month later...

I'm thinkin of putting a True Temper TX90 shaft in my G2 to see what it's like! what do u all think and what have been ur experiences with playing steel shafts in drivers. Oh and anyother sugestions on shaft choice would be good :kewlpics:

My opinion about 2 irons and steel shafted drivers is that if Tiger Woods doesn't use either of them, NO one in the world should ever consider using them. If TW can't hit the 2 irons anymore, no one can. As far as a steel shafted driver, there are SOOO many better alternatives.

But, to each his own!

Tiger Woods is also trying to hit it 340 yds. What if you would be happy hitting 260-270 yds in the fairway? Is steel a viable option?

My R7 425 is the first driver i've had with a graphite shaft and i'm still getting used to it. Granted I can hit it further but i'm still not as accurate as I was with steel. I've had a Titleist 975D/983K, TM 510 TP, Macgregor Eye-O-Matic all with X100's in them. I've also had a Ping TISI with a JZ x-stiff shaft and an original GBB with a memphis 10 shaft.

I still think steel gives you more control but obviously not the extra distance.

P.S: A friend of mine has a 44" x-stiff cushin shaft in his G5 and he kills it. Go for it.

• 4 years later...

I'm thinkin of putting a True Temper TX90 shaft in my G2 to see what it's like! what do u all think and what have been ur experiences with playing steel shafts in drivers. Oh and anyother sugestions on shaft choice would be good smile.gif

But, to each his own!

So what you're saying is that everybody on this forum (and there are a LOT of them) who has ever said that they get better control and accuracy with minimal distance loss from a steel-shafted driver is either lying or halucinating. Sounds reasonable (sarcasm).

By the way...Tiger Woods has never, at any point in his career, driven a golf ball better than he did with a steel-shafted driver in the '97 Masters. If he still used the club he used that weekend for the rest of his life, Jack's record would be LONG shattered by now. As it turns out, driving the golf ball has become the biggest weakness in Tiger's game since he switched to graphite. Fact. But Nike wouldn't dream of letting it's biggest marketing tool be seen using a steel shaft on television, so Tiger will forever fight against the NEGATIVE impact graphite has on his game as he continues to pursue Jack's record.

[/quote]
But Nike wouldn't dream of letting it's biggest marketing tool be seen using a steel shaft on television, so Tiger will forever fight against the NEGATIVE impact graphite has on his game as he continues to pursue Jack's record.
[/quote]

im confused. i dont get why nike would be upset if he used steel shaft? nike does not make shafts and the whiteboard he uses, i dont think nike offers. can someone explain?

[quote name='tmfan54' date='07 March 2010 - 07:57 PM' timestamp='1268013451' post='2300438']
[/quote]
But Nike wouldn't dream of letting it's biggest marketing tool be seen using a steel shaft on television, so Tiger will forever fight against the NEGATIVE impact graphite has on his game as he continues to pursue Jack's record.
[/quote]

im confused. i dont get why nike would be upset if he used steel shaft? nike does not make shafts and the whiteboard he uses, i dont think nike offers. can someone explain?

[/quote]

Ever see a Nike driver with a steel shaft in any store? Okay...maybe I'm overreacting a bit, but it is a fact that Tiger's average driving distance at the '97 Masters was 323 yards with a steel shafted driver, and it is a fact that he has RARELY come close to the driving accuracy he displayed back then. So why change just to conform to "industry standards"?

[quote name='Boomermike' date='07 March 2010 - 09:33 PM' timestamp='1268015606' post='2300560']
[quote name='tmfan54' date='07 March 2010 - 07:57 PM' timestamp='1268013451' post='2300438']
[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Ever see a Nike driver with a steel shaft in any store? Okay...maybe I'm overreacting a bit, but it is a fact that Tiger's average driving distance at the '97 Masters was 323 yards with a steel shafted driver, and it is a fact that he has RARELY come close to the driving accuracy he displayed back then. So why change just to conform to "industry standards"?
[/quote]
o alright. but i dont see any 380cc dymos with whiteboard either lol. but i guess see your point.

[quote name='Boomermike' date='07 March 2010 - 09:33 PM' timestamp='1268015606' post='2300560']
[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

1. Why are you bumping every single thread from years ago about steel shafted drivers? Then you bring some attitude to every thread when you are flat out wrong and don't understand the importance of being properly fit. I will guarantee you that you take any golfer to any club fitter on the planet and you will not see anyone recommended to play steel in the driver. 2. You do realize that Tiger switched to graphite and then went back to his steel shafted 975D months down the road and again hit that club all over the planet? Just like the graphite shafted drivers he began to use. He also used a Cobra Deep Face driver at the 97 Masters and would be beyond stupid to use that when it would be no longer than his 3 wood of today. Tiger's problems with the driver are not the club itself, its the swing. I would think that if Tiger thought switching to something else would help him drive it better then he would switch. But hell what does Tiger not know about his own game that you know? Maybe you should pull a Lee Trevino and publicly offer him advice...maybe even counsel him about his marriage if you have time.

[b]XHP 3-Deep (13)- 7.3X @ 43.5”
X-Forged UT (#3- 21)- DG X700
716MB (5-PW)- DG S400
Vokey (TVD SM7 RAW 52 & SM6 RAW 58)- DG S400
Cameron Napa California @ 34"[/b]

[quote name='Big Al' date='02 February 2006 - 12:30 PM' timestamp='1138905011' post='108594']
what about the weight? how did people find goin to a heavier shaft?
[/quote]

If you want to try steel, I'd try Dynamic Gold SL. All the fun of Dynamic Gold, but much lighter. I'm looking to reshaft some persimmon later this yeat with DGSL just to knock out some total weight.

As for heavy graphite, some recommendations. Most are X flex or stiffer.

G. Loomis Tour (128g)
Graphite Design VJS110PLUS (107g)
Fujikura SAPPHIRE (114g)
Fujikura Speeder 1061-XX (116g)
Diamana Blueboard 103x

All the above will cure your itch, and then some...

edit: who was the moron that bumped this? It's from 2006!

Mizuno ST200G 9° / Aldila Synergy Black Proto 75-TX   
TC Callaway XHot 3DEEP 13° / Graphite Design DI-10 TX

TC Callaway X2Hot 5DEEP 18.5° bent to 17° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10x

Callaway X-Forged UT 21° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10-TX

Callaway X-Forged UT 25° / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Raw Mizuno MP-32 6-PW / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 50.08F / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 54.12D / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 58.14K / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Mizuno M-Craft I Blue Ion 365g / Stability Shaft