2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Irons to commit too, J33 Combo, MP30, MP32, Nike Pro Combo

giogolf

Hey all,

My irons search has begun. Gone are the blades, and in with the forged cavities. I have narrowed it down to:

Nike Pro Combos, J33 Combo, MP30's, MP32's, Srixon 302-506.

My Driver SS is 110mph, I am a high ball hitter. My shaft of choice is DGS400 or hard stepped DGS300. My mis-hits are towards the heel, and the occasional chunky shot.

The iron I owned for the longest amount of time was MP37'd with DGS400 shafts. I played these for most of last season and loved them, but with a 12 HC I need a little more help on the mis-hits.

I really want to settle this season and stop being a hoe with the irons and wedges. I need to commit and learn how to play a set.

So my question is, what are your opinions of the above irons that I have mentioned?

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Drop the MP-30's from the list. The MP-32's are more forgiving (IMO), and much schweeter irons overall.

My vote would be for the J33's. I own a set of these, and they DO launch very high, so be careful which shafts you get in them. The beauty of the J33's is that wonderful sole design, which is very useful in variable conditions. I've only hit the 302 Srixon's, but I recall I liked them as well. The ProCombos are good irons, but I find them unspectacular.

I think this is a tie between the J33's (if you play in variable conditions, and need that flexible sole design), or the MP-32's. If you want to save some $$$$ - perhaps a set of 302's would be nice as well.

srixon 302 - haven't used so i can't comment on

j33 - found them bulky looking with sharp lines and large soles. found my self bouncing them quite a bit and blading the ball and when i didn't blade the ball i thought it was extremely high trajectory (demo s300 shafts)

mp-30 - agree with sam that you should drop this as its not very forgiving

mp-32 - pure sex!! its great looking club with a great feel. some what forgiving on mishits, but can also really punish you

pro combo - great club. hands down would be more popular if there wasn't so much angst to a shoe company making golf clubs (although there seems to be no problem with a tire company making golf clubs - bridgestone). great feel through the blades, muscle backs and cavity backs. long irons are very forgiving and the blades being extremely controllable.

of the models listed it would be between the mp-32 and the pro combo with the pro combo getting the win because of the ease to hit the 5 iron to 3 iron versus the mp-32

[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike covert tour 2.0 w/ diamana blueboard 83[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike sq 2 tour 15* w/ ust v2 95 tour[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]adams idea pro tour 18* w/ fujikura 904hb[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]adams idea pro tour 22* w/ fujikura 904hb[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike pro combo tour 4-pw[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]titliest vokey sm5 52*[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]titliest vokey sm5 58*[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]scotty cameron newport beach[/size][/font][/color]

i've never hit any of the ones you've just named off, but i have hit the pc and have owned the pc for a little bit before swapping them out for some mizzy 23s. overall, they are a great club..........the longer irons are forgiving and if youre a consistant ball striker, then the rest should be cake.

you can find them pretty cheap around ebay and maybe golfexchange.com.....heck, if you were a little faster, i would of sold you mine!

holla!

I noticed a store in my area had the Pro Combo iron set marked down to $350. If price is a consideration, then it looks like these may be the choice.

Cobra Fly-Z+ Aldila UST V2
Golfsmith Jetstream 3W UST V2
Titleist 915H 3 Diamana

Titleist 915H 4 Diamana
Ben Hogan Apex Edge Pro UST Recoil Dart
Titleist SM6 50F/54S/58S Aerotech SteelFiber
Cleveland HB 11S

SkyCaddie SX400

I switched this past fall from PING I3 O-Size to J33 Combos. My swing speed with the driver was measured a little higher than yours and I purchased the J33's on EBay with DG X100 shafts new in the box and wrapper delivered to my door for less than $450.

I am extremely satisfied, there is very little offset, less than the 735 CM and the trajectory is perfect.

For the price I don't think these can be beat and EBay had many shaft choices available.

Happy Golfing.

Wow great turn out so far. It definitely seems that the MP30's are out.

The Bridgestone iron seems to be on the fence with you guys as to high trajectory and sole issues. I do play in the mid eastern part of the US (NJ), and will venture down to NC/SC for a month or 2 a year. But conditions here are usually wet to soft. Since I played here all my life I have learned to play my shots not relying on a wider sole to aid in the softer conditions.

The MP60's are sweet but maybe to game improvement for me, I do not know the PW seem a bit bulky (I will probably get some flack for that comment).

Just looked at the Srixon 302, the soles are a bit wacky for my taste.

I do like the Pro Combos, I was thinking of getting 2004 model (cheaper) and installing some hard stepped DGS300 in them.

The MP32's are just amazing looking; do you think they are significantly more forgiving than MP37's or MP33's? Price is an issue with these; I am always on eBay waiting to pull the trigger on a good deal.

So maybe I will narrow it down to Pro Combos or MP32's.

Nay one play the Hogan FTX's, are they worth a look at?

pro combo - great club. hands down would be more popular if there wasn't so much angst to a shoe company making golf clubs (although there seems to be no problem with a tire company making golf clubs - bridgestone). great feel through the blades, muscle backs and cavity backs. long irons are very forgiving and the blades being extremely controllable.

Bridgestone's roots were a shoe company that made its way to its original dream of tires. Golf was a natural progression for Bridgestone being that their leadership in tires meant they had a lot of experience and assets in rubber as well as chemical research which brought them to golf balls. Selling a lot of golf balls leads to equipment.

Nike's progression is shoes --> clothes --> Tiger Woods --> golf clubs. They got into golf equipment to capitalize on their significant investment in TW. Had the first set of Drivers not been so ridiculously bad and the Pro Combos not so ugly, they probably would be more accepted by the golf snobs here. They are coming along fast though and even if they get trashed in golf forums, I see more nike pro combo sets out there on the course and range that I expected. That does not mean Nike is successful in golf though, and they are not too intersted in sharing their golf sales numbers.

Back to the topic at hand, get the J33s, or MP60s.

I've hit the 37's and played the 33's, with the 32's currently in the bag. The 37's are the least considerate of a slightly mis-struck ball. The 33's are much easier to hit than the 37's. The 33's have quite a higher trajectory than do the 37's. The 33's were out first. If there was a negative, it was the high trajectory. The 37's were brought out with a thicker top line and a high COG. The design kept the ball down, but the sweet spot was diminished somewhat. The 32's have a trajectory somewhere in between the 37's and 33's. The 32's are much easier to hit than either of the others. I wouldn't ever say ANY Mizuno wasn't sweet to the eye, but the 32's are flat out beautiful!

The 32's have more bounce than the 33's. If you are a "picker", the 33's work well. If you are a "digger", or if you can tire a little late in a round and catch one a little fat... the sole/bounce of the 32's carry the club through the ball without "laying the sod over it".

As one poster said, the wedge and short irons of the 60's have a little "bulky" look as compared to the 32's. Yet, the 60's have received rave reviews. Supposedly a little more forgiving in the long irons than the 32's.

As you can tell, I'm a little partial to the 32's. They have served me well! They give you back much more than you deserve. (My heart still aches for another set of Titleist 690.mb's, but the 32's will probably stay in the bag for another full season.)

Mizuno had its "cult" of blade players who had followed them thru the 29's, 14's, 33's, and 37's. But, the 32's and 60's have developed an entirely new and enhanced fan base. I, personally, don't think you could go wrong with Mizuno!

Good luck!

Game improvement to me sounds like someone who need more help than what I am asking for. Maybe players cavitys or players combos, thats a nice way to put it. I have played all my life with blades and have done pretty well, I am just looking for some forgivness in the off-center hits. I do not need any help getting the ball up, slicing, or hooking. Putting is another story, I could use a CaddyShack putter like Jakie Mason.

The only reason I did not like the the MP60's, was to me coming form blades they looked the most bulky.

Do youself a favor and pull the trigger on the MP32's. No better club out there, IMHO. I got a set, immediately reshafted with PX's and could not imaging being happier with a club. My 2 cents is that despite the appearance of the 32's, they don't play like a blade at all. I feel that they are every bit as forgiving as any cavity I have played. Maybe its just me and I have found my club nirvana, who knows. I have gotten so confident with these clubs that I pulled my hybrids and went with a 2 and 3 iron, as I just love the look, feel and performance so much. These are definitely keepers for me, and I am a self proclaimed Ho. So much so, that I am contemplating getting a back up set in case some apocalyptic event befalls Mizuno and they stop making them.

Why the negative feedback on the MP30's?

I hit them today and they felt pretty good. What do you guys think? Are the MP32's as forgiving as MP30's? I love the MP32's do not get me wrong, do not forget I played the MP37's for 2 seasons and loved them. Its just I do not think being around a 10HC that I am consistent enough to hit blades.

I agree with other posters on the short irons o the mp60s. The long irons are easier to hit with the mp60s and after playing a while with complete sets ofmp32s and mp60s, I ordered a combo set with jsut the 4 and 5 as 60s and the rest as 32s.

The j33s are also very nice and they are in my other bag and I would have a tough time picking if I could only have one set. On looks, the mizunos win out every time but the j33s seem to be a bit more forgiving. The J33s are tough to find new around here and I had to get them off ebay so shaft selection or custom options are tough. The good news is that if you can find something that suits you on ebay, they are a steal. My set had hit a couple of irons and was under $400.