2024 US Open WITB Photos ×

Hogan's Secret...what is it? what is it not? (Hogan Threads Merged)

Gxgolfer

Serious question I'd look forward to everyone's opinion: at the start of the downswing, do you think Hogan did anything actively with his arms? I know he states that the downswing starts with the lower body, but when you see him rehearse the downswing movements in these videos, he appears to be coordinating the lower body movement with arm movement: specifically dropping the rear elbow downward and somewhat forward:

Is this "side arm" throwing motion essential? Or is arm movement essential at this point but it's characterized differently?

I came upon this question because when practising I note that if I allow my arms to remain passive from the top (i.e. wait for body momentum to bring them into hitting position), at times I find they can stay too high into the downswing. The result is I need slow my body turn down during impact to allow my arms to catch up. This also tends to bias toward a more "down the line" release. I especially don't want to be slowing my body turn (or anything) into impact.

Just looking for verification because I'm thinking that going into the wrong direction with an active arm move would be highly troublesome if it's not correct.

Thanks.

No. Nothing with the arms. It's all a response from the transition. Hogan didn't force it. Some do. But, he didn't. The slow motion videos show it too. What you see at impact, the little "pop", is nothing more than "show". Something to entertain the audience. In the real swing, the movements are coordinated with speed to provide the "pop". Not enough in those slow motion swings to do it the way he normally does it. Would you rather see the ball just roll of the face?

If you want, you may try to simulate a 9:00 backswing. Make sure you have adequate width, left arm out. Start the change of direction with your lowerbody while keeping your left arm extended and extending out. Did you feel it in the left lat? Did you get a reaction? You would ideally like to be in a position to benefit from something like this. A reaction to the pivot. Makes it a bit simpler. Checking on the width can sometimes help in your situation. See below perhaps.

I don't know what kind of shape you are nearing the top of your swing, which makes it difficult to advise what type of transitioning move you are capable of doing. Because of where Hogan's was, his upperbody movements after transition were reaction to his lowerbody; club shallowing, right shoulder lowering, right forearm, club shallowing, etc... Pure reaction to unwinding.

Other times, using an arm motion can be helpful. But, it's a little more complicated.

Maybe mess around with it until you feel something in your left lat area if you want to get a glimpse of what Hogan felt and the free ride he spoke of.

So out of all the replies (and I thank everyone), the one that left me wanting more was the above from Magnum. It got me thinking amd with guidance from Fats, I went searching other posts and videos.

I uncovered relevant comments from Sevam1's video where he criticizes players for not using the right leg rotationally on the backswing. And a Slicefixer post wherein he describes a simple test to determine those that move laterally in the backswing and those that rotate: if you draw lines down each leg at address, lateral movers will create space between the left hip and the line, but not the right, rotators will do the opposite. With that I reviewed my swing video and, although I had fancied myself a rotator, this test identified me as a lateral mover.

To change this I imagine my right cheek moves in a direction back and toward the target right off the ball, while continuing to press into the ground with the right instep, checking that the right knee doesn't straighten (actually it's left for me since I'm left handed, so others can relate I'm transposing it to rightie.) One thing I noticed immediately is that my arm plane at the top was flatter this way. Although I don't know why it has this effect (my plane was already reasonably shallow), in this shallower plane it eliminated the need for me to shallow it even further to get into the optimal hitting position. I think previously this is why I felt the need to somewhat slow my torso turn in the downswing, in order to allow the arms time to drop down a bit and back into the "slot." I also think lateral movement has the general effect of slowing things down a bit ... not something I want to do. (As a sidenote, I can tell when I'm starting to lose it when a playing partner comments on how "smooth" a swing I'm making. NOT WHAT I WANT!)

Anyway, this new move creates GINORMOUS torque in the right foot that spreads all the way up the torso to the back. Although I don't have the benefit of range testing at this time, I would think with all that torquing and improved arm position, the arms would naturally been "on for the free ride" from the top.

Does this sound like the right path? If so next step would be identifying proper left torso/hip movement from there and arm action into impact.

All replies welcome.

"I had a slide turn that set the club .." Lee Trevino

Take a look at the end of video below (that everyone has seen a GAZILLION times). Mr. Hogan says "... and the first thing to watch .. is what starts first from the top of the swing". As he is uttering these words, he is simultaneously making a motion with his right hand. Interesting. Is this maybe Bertrand's laying-it-off move supposedly passed to Schlee directly from Mr. Hogan?

In the same video when he makes the full swing and hits the ball, notice that there is no blurring of the shaft until his left arm has passed the nine o'clock position on the DOWNSWING. No cheap, early speed here! Again, at around that nine o'clock left arm position on the DS, he has appeared to have "GATHERED" everything together DYNAMICALLY. This, to me, is the essence of Mr. Hogan, - at this "gathered" position, an incredible connection to the ground, the angles are deepest, the leverage is at its greatest. A lion ready to pounce on its unsuspecting prey!

Something to think about, anyway!

MH

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting video. In the Max. Golf video Schlee does the same thing hitting a driver 250 yards on his left leg only.

What I find more interesting, was the comment about when swinging on one leg the club bottoms out at the same point, consistently.

Hogan did say the more weight he got on his left leg and the faster he turned left the better he hit the ball.

MoeHogan. I have both the Max. Golf video and book and Bertram's book.

Schlee does not mention the release of the wrist cup at the top. Schlee call's laying off the club the "world class move" and does it differently thatn what Bertram says.

PS you see Bertram in the Max Golf video once or twice.

JBeam ZY-11 10* Basileus Alpha S / Crazy 435ii 10.5* Basileus AAA X
Tour Issue TM Superfast 2.0 TP 13.5* & 18* UST VTS SIlver 7S
Apex Pro Recoil 95 R // Steelhead XR Pro Recoil ES 760
Vega VM06 50 - 54 - 58 Shimada W
Slighter Auburn

Interesting video. In the Max. Golf video Schlee does the same thing hitting a driver 250 yards on his left leg only.

What I find more interesting, was the comment about when swinging on one leg the club bottoms out at the same point, consistently.

Hogan did say the more weight he got on his left leg and the faster he turned left the better he hit the ball.

Moefan. I have both the Max. Golf video and book and Bertram's book.

Schlee does not mention the release of the wrist cup at the top. Schlee call's laying off the club the "world class move" and does it differently thatn what Bertram says.

PS you see Bertram in the Max Golf video once or twice.

he's advocating a stack n tilt move, which isn't Hogan.

on the other hand, check this post out i dug up from the hardy board a while ago. we all thought the guy was goofing but who knows! time to add another candidate to the Hogan Secret file? LOL

Posted By rick_bachelor on 07/12/2007 10:19 AM

Here's a post from "Role of Rear Leg" thread:

I remember Hogan saying he felt like he was a dog peeing on a hydrant with the rear leg. That's how much he felt it lifting. Some have said this was his "secret." I'd recommend taking practise swings next to a hydrant with a 7-iron while lifting your rear leg like you're a dog peeing on it. That will really help you ingrain this feeling.

:whistling:

TM Stealth Plus 10.5 Ventus TR Velocore Black 5

Ping G425 Max 5 FW Ventus Velocore Red 7

Srixon MKii DI 3 Axiom 105

Mizuno JPX 921 SEL 4-PW KBS Tour 

Yururi Tataki 52.5, 56.5 and 60.5 DG S200
Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips
Kirkland Performance+ Ball

he's advocating a stack n tilt move, which isn't Hogan.

on the other hand, check this post out i dug up from the hardy board a while ago. we all thought the guy was goofing but who knows! time to add another candidate to the Hogan Secret file? LOL

Posted By rick_bachelor on 07/12/2007 10:19 AM

Here's a post from "Role of Rear Leg" thread:

I remember Hogan saying he felt like he was a dog peeing on a hydrant with the rear leg. That's how much he felt it lifting. Some have said this was his "secret." I'd recommend taking practise swings next to a hydrant with a 7-iron while lifting your rear leg like you're a dog peeing on it. That will really help you ingrain this feeling.

:whistling:

What makes you think he's practicing a stack and tilt move? He is just advocating shifting the weight WITHIN the pivot, and for a rotational swing, he is 100% correct in my opinion. Sure stack and tilt has a very similar idea, but so do many methods.

I don't think it's S & T.

On the contrary, it's actually a great drill:

Note how freely Shawn Clement rotates his pelvis back during the backswing. He essentially has zero X-factor in his swing because he rotates his pelvis back as far as he rotates his shoulders. Yet, he can still hit the ball over 200 yards with his five-iron while swinging in this manner. If you watch his swing action in that swing video, you will understand why - it is because he loads PA#4 adequately during the backswing and unloads PA#4 very efficiently during the downswing, thereby allowing the left arm to swing at an adequate speed in the late downswing.

What's extremely interesting, and very informative, is the fact that Shawn Clement can hit the ball as far (if not slightly further) on one-leg as he can hit the ball on two legs using his standard swing - greater than 195 yards with a five-iron. That fact should make a beginner golfer question the wisdom of many golf teachers who assert that one needs to perform the following maneuvers to generate a large amount of swing power during a full golf swing - i) shift a significant amount of weight onto the back foot during the backswing so that one can transfer weight back to the left side during the downswing; ii) push off the right foot at the start of the downswing in order to forcefully shift-rotate the lower body towards the target; iii) restrict the hip turn during the backswing so that one can coil the upper body against the resistance of the restricted lower body turn. What Shawn Clement dramatically demonstrates is the simple fact that one can generate ample swing power to hit the ball a long distance by using a rotary swing with little weight shift.

JBeam ZY-11 10* Basileus Alpha S / Crazy 435ii 10.5* Basileus AAA X
Tour Issue TM Superfast 2.0 TP 13.5* & 18* UST VTS SIlver 7S
Apex Pro Recoil 95 R // Steelhead XR Pro Recoil ES 760
Vega VM06 50 - 54 - 58 Shimada W
Slighter Auburn

I don't think it's S & T.

On the contrary, it's actually a great drill:

Note how freely Shawn Clement rotates his pelvis back during the backswing. He essentially has zero X-factor in his swing because he rotates his pelvis back as far as he rotates his shoulders. Yet, he can still hit the ball over 200 yards with his five-iron while swinging in this manner. If you watch his swing action in that swing video, you will understand why - it is because he loads PA#4 adequately during the backswing and unloads PA#4 very efficiently during the downswing, thereby allowing the left arm to swing at an adequate speed in the late downswing.

What's extremely interesting, and very informative, is the fact that Shawn Clement can hit the ball as far (if not slightly further) on one-leg as he can hit the ball on two legs using his standard swing - greater than 195 yards with a five-iron. That fact should make a beginner golfer question the wisdom of many golf teachers who assert that one needs to perform the following maneuvers to generate a large amount of swing power during a full golf swing - i) shift a significant amount of weight onto the back foot during the backswing so that one can transfer weight back to the left side during the downswing; ii) push off the right foot at the start of the downswing in order to forcefully shift-rotate the lower body towards the target; iii) restrict the hip turn during the backswing so that one can coil the upper body against the resistance of the restricted lower body turn. What Shawn Clement dramatically demonstrates is the simple fact that one can generate ample swing power to hit the ball a long distance by using a rotary swing with little weight shift.

Interesting and informative - you bet!

Like Hogan - Nope!

I don't think it's S & T.On the contrary, it's actually a great drill:

Interesting and informative - you bet!Like Hogan - Nope!
Shawn Clemens is a genius, he may not be a Hogan, but he knows his swing better than most top ranked teachers. It's all about pure momentum with Clemens. In the following video he addresses the whole idea of keeping the elbows close to the body and how it should be done, great video!

Here is another who claims to know the Secret....Looks just like Mr Hogan...don't you all agree

http://hogansangle.com/index.php?p=10

This guy really is funny...Amazing how The Secret comes out after Hogan died...is this guy from Canada also? Pretty soon we could fill a stadium with them...Get your secrets here!! Hot Hot Hot secrets.

Here is another who claims to know the Secret....Looks just like Mr Hogan...don't you all agree

This guy really is funny...Amazing how The Secret comes out after Hogan died...is this guy from Canada also? Pretty soon we could fill a stadium with them...Get your secrets here!! Hot Hot Hot secrets.

He is funny, you can really see his "naturally occurring athleticism" on Hogans angle. In truth although he has a terrible swing his "angle" is fairly applicable to Moe Normans' action......which means he's only off by about 90 degrees to Hogan.

LOL, yeah. Like the "testimonial" section too .... two contrived ones from people no one's ever heard of (probably his brother in laws, if they're real people at all) and a 3rd one from some guy named "Charley" who hasn't even hit full shots with it yet. :cheesy:

http://hogansangle.com/index.php?p=testimonial

Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips

I was joking and thought the world hunger line made that clear. ;)

Having said that, I received some video tape (and absorbed it) from a guy that he took of Moe in the 90's. He spent 8 days with Moe and took a lot of footage, fascinating stuff and he passed on to me what he learned from the experience. Anyway, after trying what he said about Moes swing and using my own ideas I came to the conclusion that Hogan and Moe had a very very similar action. They just aimed about as far apart as any two guys could while swinging a club.

If I use my Bow to Crossbow action, as I use it for myself, I get great results with a somewhat DTL release, as opposed to my old Mickelson like sling, it has my right arm going straight not further out to the target line but not left either.

So if I take a bit wider stance and pre-set some turn but still do the bow off the ball and reach for my left leg, I get really deep into the crossbow early a la Moe and I was hammering it as good as I have ever struck the ball.

Now Hogan appears to me to get into the crossbow at the same time but because of his hip and shoulder tilts his right side doesn't get under until later than me and much later than Moe. So I tried standing up to the ball as I do, but imagined pulling back the bow through my body parrallel to the target line as the club went behind me off the ball. This is 90 degrees difference in intention to my swing and if I wasn't sure of what I was doing otherwise it could be mistaken for taking a massive cut at the ball.

So this lead to a need to accomodate the different intention of the pull on the bow and over the course of about 20 balls I managed to get an incredibly Hogan like feel to my swing. I had to screw my right leg and humerus (now I think I know why Hogan swung under that high right arm) toward my body to counter the pull to the right (and to line up the bow with my intention) and that sent my core behind me like it always does and I was into my swing.

I had achieved a pretty good left release over the last week or so thanks to a tip from hachi-ban, but I was still driving my arms at it like a slinger, that was taken care of today as my torso dragged my arms into impact and my forearms snapped through and I didn't need to push a thing. My hands felt like they were still going forward when they folded over my left shoulder as opposed to going out and coming back in.....a very new feeling.

Mr. Hogan was giving us a clue that the secret came from an activity other than golf. Baseball players play out of dirt, I thought, and when you consider that the most prominent sport by far at that time in America was baseball, it became clear to me that discovering the secret came from a study not of golfers, but of baseball players.

jduncanm3,

I agree with your baseball connection here, although I can't tell how serious you are about your post. It seems very well written, so I will take you seriously.

I would love to know when Hogan realized the relationship to golf and baseball. If he were still alive, I would ask him when did he find this, even though he would probably say "can't you see I am eating my soup". I would also like to know more information about his relationship with Sam Byrd. There has been discussion on golfwrx about it somewhat.

I read on an article with Ballard in it, that Byrd said the golfswing was the same as baseball, but the ball is on the ground.

Here is a baseball connection from the I Remember Ben Hogan book. To me this definitely proves Hogan knew about the baseball connection no doubt, unless Wynne is lying.

Mr. Hogan was giving us a clue that the secret came from an activity other than golf. Baseball players play out of dirt, I thought, and when you consider that the most prominent sport by far at that time in America was baseball, it became clear to me that discovering the secret came from a study not of golfers, but of baseball players.

jduncanm3,

I agree with your baseball connection here, although I can't tell how serious you are about your post. It seems very well written, so I will take you seriously.

I would love to know when Hogan realized the relationship to golf and baseball. If he were still alive, I would ask him when did he find this, even though he would probably say "can't you see I am eating my soup". I would also like to know more information about his relationship with Sam Byrd. There has been discussion on golfwrx about it somewhat.

I read on an article with Ballard in it, that Byrd said the golfswing was the same as baseball, but the ball is on the ground.

Here is a baseball connection from the I Remember Ben Hogan book. To me this definitely proves Hogan knew about the baseball connection no doubt, unless Wynne is lying.

I know softball guy but look at the angles don't they look very very similar from 9 to 3 and look for the power stored and released. Softball guy breaks down his softball swing up to the 3:15 mark then plenty of swing footage. Your thoughts

JuNiOR

I know softball guy but look at the angles don't they look very very similar from 9 to 3 and look for the power stored and released. Softball guy breaks down his softball swing up to the 3:15 mark then plenty of swing footage. Your thoughts

JuNiOR

I think the small excerpt in Five Lessons where Hogan talks about the right arm and how it behaves in the downswing is a very important piece of information. This is where he shows the half side arm baseball throw. The right elbow leads the arm, and then the forearm and hand catch up closer to impact, he says it in his book.

I'm not an expert in either swing, but you can't throw away those similarities.

jduncanm3,

JuNiOR

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

This might be the best explanation of a golf swing video I've ever seen. :D

seriously!

Umm what happened to JDuncam's proposal about the grips being the Secret?? And the grip kit for sale??

Working on endorsement deal with Fats. :good:

Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips

This is a fun thread. I'm glad the mods have let it ramble on and present the challenges to all the ideas. I have learned a few kew things in here. Despite the fact that we'll never know "IT," the discussions are very enlightening. I like to think that every new view or perspective on Hogan's swings are little "secrets" to me.

With that: I think that I've had a true breakthrough in my rotational swing (we'll see how far off I am after a visit to Texarkan in Feb). I'd like to thank Darius, Magnum, Powerfade, Fats, lake, and Downtoscratch specifically. I had never understood a lot of what I was seeing before the debates and discussions in this thread. The right "elbow plane" idea is brilliant. Magnum really brought that home with his brilliant diagrams. It explains a lot to me to understand those days when I can't help but strike the ball well, it feels inevitable when you get that club in the elbow plane (the true slot) and it was always LOWER than I understood. Then Powerfade and DTS with their right arm discussions made me realize something. While I've always understood and we can all see Hogan's bent/flexed right arm at impact (with the open/opening torso and turn), I never could look or feel at all normal trying to achieve that position. However, if I instead thought about that flexed right arm but also allowing it to straighten a few feet after impact along with a very aggressive turn, voila! There's your Hogan finish. You flex the ring and middle fingers in the right hand and you get that bicep pulling the butt/hands above your left ear and the left hand palm nearly facing the target. Wow. So that is what it feels like. I understand the idea of inevitable now very well. There are a LOT of variables that get you to here, and the vast majority I believe Slicefixer explains and teaches, but those few missing pieces for me revealed through this thread are great finds.

Thanks,

Tim

This is a fun thread. I'm glad the mods have let it ramble on and present the challenges to all the ideas. I have learned a few kew things in here. Despite the fact that we'll never know "IT," the discussions are very enlightening. I like to think that every new view or perspective on Hogan's swings are little "secrets" to me.

With that: I think that I've had a true breakthrough in my rotational swing (we'll see how far off I am after a visit to Texarkan in Feb). I'd like to thank Darius, Magnum, Powerfade, Fats, lake, and Downtoscratch specifically. I had never understood a lot of what I was seeing before the debates and discussions in this thread. The right "elbow plane" idea is brilliant. Magnum really brought that home with his brilliant diagrams. It explains a lot to me to understand those days when I can't help but strike the ball well, it feels inevitable when you get that club in the elbow plane (the true slot) and it was always LOWER than I understood. Then Powerfade and DTS with their right arm discussions made me realize something. While I've always understood and we can all see Hogan's bent/flexed right arm at impact (with the open/opening torso and turn), I never could look or feel at all normal trying to achieve that position. However, if I instead thought about that flexed right arm but also allowing it to straighten a few feet after impact along with a very aggressive turn, voila! There's your Hogan finish. You flex the ring and middle fingers in the right hand and you get that bicep pulling the butt/hands above your left ear and the left hand palm nearly facing the target. Wow. So that is what it feels like. I understand the idea of inevitable now very well. There are a LOT of variables that get you to here, and the vast majority I believe Slicefixer explains and teaches, but those few missing pieces for me revealed through this thread are great finds.

Thanks,

Tim

Can someone provide a link to this post? I've searched and can't find it.

Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips

Jdunc, the linked post is the one from magnum (#692) that set my mind working on the right elbow plane that Darius has pointed to, but which I didn't fully comprehend until pictorially, and masterfully displayed by Magnum.

A few really good insightful pictorial images include the sequence lake posted of hip-high to hip-high of Hogan from Shady Oaks, which I'm certain you saw...if not, let me know and I'll link to those as well.

One quick note or amendment to my previous post is that I forgot to mention with perhaps enough emphasis is that none of the right arm/elbow and delivery angle stuff works at all for me unless I get to the left pivot point early (as in stay there pretty much the whole time for short irons and wedges), rotate super hard with the left side (keying off the connection of the upper left arm/pit and torso...I sometimes feel like I'm flexing my left pec), pulling the butt of the club hard with the left side, and keeping that momentum driven by the pivot/turn going around that left pivot point and left/low...

Hope this helps,

Tim

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/index.php?s=...t&p=1432688