2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Adams Golf Tour - Depth of Players

chrisp

I think some of these just can't give up the dream!
I just went out to hit some golf balls earlier at BlackHorse and low and behold the driving range was packed with golfers. They are having an ADAMS golf tour event and today was the practice round.

I gotta be honest I thought it was a Club Pro Tournament. Just watching some of these golf swings on the range really had me thinking it was some type of club pro event sponsored by Adams.

Hell I am weekend hacker and know it. But these guys are tour players??

Seriously, there were a few golf swings that really caught my eye. But for the majority of those I saw it just didn't add up to what I would expect to see. Lots of flippers and slingers out there. These guys must have damn good short games and of course they must play alot.

What does it take to play in these events?? What does it cost the players to tee it up in these events?

I mean I know that some guys on the PGA tour played on this tour on their way up but some of these guys look like they are just cannot give up the dream. I do not mean to be ***** but I am curious about the talent on the mini tours.

What do the rest of you think??

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Never judge a book by its cover, as most likely all of these guys would take your money at the end of the day. My hat is off to them. They're living a lot of peoples' dreams, including mine.

WITB
Sim 9° Diamana Limited 
TM M3 15°
Adams Idea Pro 22°
Hogan Icons 4-P
Titleist SM8 50° 54° 60°
Callaway MD4 64°
Ping Sigma Darby

Here the website, I call the leader after the first day being at least 7 under.

http://www.adamsgolfprotourseries.com/

edit- just found oout it was the winter series, as well swing have nothing to do with being pro/great at the game, just look at some of them on the pga tour some are ugly and look like they have barely ever played before, all the do is have it be conistent.

How pretty someone swings the club and how well one plays are too completely different subjects. You should go watch them play and see if your opinion changes. Plenty of ugly swings produce some incredible golf.

The Adams Golf Tour is approximately $1,000 per week in entry fees (not sure about the winter series off the top of my head). Add in the cost of travel, food and the like and its quite expensive. Nothing they would be doing if they couldn't seriously play, or have seriously deep pockets.

You should check out the tournament though. Watching how they play a course that you're familiar with may open your eyes to a whole new way of course management!

Simp you make a very good point. After all Jim Thorpe said he has a swing only a mother could love. Back in 2002 and 2003 I had drinking buddy named Tim Thelen. Some of you may have heard of him, he is a 2 or 3 time PGA club pro champion. We used to hang out at the same bar in Houston. I got to play with him once and it was eye opening. He plays a low cut shot and I mean a low cut shot. I never saw anyone putt as good as he could. From what I remember he shot a 60 or 61 that day. He has done well in some PGA events. I asked him during one of our drinking sessions how come he didn't try to make it on tour. He said that his low ballflight did not help although I would think with club shafts and golf balls out there that wouldn't be such an issue. He also told me that there is no room for errors on the PGA tour. I hope he can make it on the Senior Tour. Another guy I know played college golf has one of best short games I have ever witnessed. He hits everywhere but the fairway and still shoots under par. I asked him how come he never tried to go pro and he said " because I knew wasn't good enough I am not gonna waste time like others I know who are struggling to pay bills. I recently ran into Casey Clendenon who played at Lamar Universtiy who I knew when I was member at Beaumont Country Club. I hope he makes it to the big stage as well as Dawie Van Der Walt from South Africa who also played at Lamar.

Anyways you all make good points in your replies. I just wonder how many of these guys just happen to have deep pockets and think they can make it out there?

Mini-Tours are comprised of several levels of players. Some are outstanding and will end up on the Nationwide Tour or even the PGA Tour in time, others are just pretty decent players who had the COURAGE to test their talent in real pro competition...most of them will fail...Then there are those who aren't good players at all but just have to see how good or bad they really are...all of those will likely fail, but they got the pro tour wander lust OUT of their systems and return to their more productive day jobs. None BTW deserve to be chastized for trying. Considering the entry fee of 1,000+ per event, most who can't play will run out of money soon enough...but at the very least, they TRIED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Adams just had their last tournament at my home course last week...I don't know the guy who won nor did I see his swing, but he shot 15 under over 3 days in some pretty good winds. I would rate my course as I've seen better and I've seen worse, but 67 is the best I've managed out there (once), but to shoot that 3 days in a row is pretty good. I did play 3 holes with one of the guys the day before the tournament started...his swing was not all that pretty, but he hit it good and I believe he finished in the top 10-15...although I beat him for the 3 holes we played together :rolleyes: In any event, those guys can play, so don't be misled by what their swings look like...as the old saying goes, it's not how, but how many.

Good point about the tour lust that some have and they must deal with it. One thing I realize that is good about these mini tour events is that not only does it give young talent a chance to pay somewhere, but also those whose careers have taken a major fall and they can use these mini tours to stage their comeback. I would hope that someone who thinks that they have game to compete in these events would also try to compete in all the top amateur events they can play in.

Can amateurs play in these mini tour events through amateur qualifying? I understand scoring low and great swing mechanics are two totally different things.

I might have gotten spoiled seeing Matt Loving's swing in person as well as Casey Clendenons'.

I just went out to hit some golf balls earlier at BlackHorse and low and behold the driving range was packed with golfers. They are having an ADAMS golf tour event and today was the practice round.

I gotta be honest I thought it was a Club Pro Tournament. Just watching some of these golf swings on the range really had me thinking it was some type of club pro event sponsored by Adams.

Hell I am weekend hacker and know it. But these guys are tour players??

Seriously, there were a few golf swings that really caught my eye. But for the majority of those I saw it just didn't add up to what I would expect to see. Lots of flippers and slingers out there. These guys must have damn good short games and of course they must play alot.

What does it take to play in these events?? What does it cost the players to tee it up in these events?

I mean I know that some guys on the PGA tour played on this tour on their way up but some of these guys look like they are just cannot give up the dream. I do not mean to be ***** but I am curious about the talent on the mini tours.

What do the rest of you think??

Have you ever watched a senior tour event? Jim Furyk? THere are some strange swings out there. Lee Trevino and Allen Doyle have crazy looking swings, both of those guys know how to get the ball in the hole.

I think the scariest part of golf and what we all need to keep in mind is how quickly it can change both good and bad. I played at a small D3 college and there was one kid who was flat out amazing when he started. Won a ton of events, his first college tournament was 64-71, just could flat out play. He ended up being top freshmen for D3 and was ranked in the top 50, ahead of people from Duke, Wake, etc.

He had a very good, home-grown swing that was pretty flat but worked. Tried to go to this steep-to-flat move and it just wrecked everything. He can barely break 80 now...

I think the scariest part of golf and what we all need to keep in mind is how quickly it can change both good and bad. I played at a small D3 college and there was one kid who was flat out amazing when he started. Won a ton of events, his first college tournament was 64-71, just could flat out play. He ended up being top freshmen for D3 and was ranked in the top 50, ahead of people from Duke, Wake, etc.

He had a very good, home-grown swing that was pretty flat but worked. Tried to go to this steep-to-flat move and it just wrecked everything. He can barely break 80 now...

good point, look at David Gosset, went from winning on tour and shooting 59 in q school and now he cant even take the club back, he is out on the golden state tour

I know you can play as an amateur on the Pepsi tour, but that's barely a mini-tour compared to some of the others. But you can be a Amateur member and win script instead of cash. I imagine there are other tours that have similar arrangements but I'm not really sure.

I know you can Monday qualify for a hooters tour event as an amateur and keep your amateur status as long as you decline any cash winnings you might earn. Once you take a paycheck you lose your amateur status and would have to apply with the USGA to get it back. If you don't have your Amateur status you can't play in the US Am or the US Mid Am or any of those ...

-Micah