2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Michelle Wie

matt411

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My short and sweet thoughts on Michelle. Her father is a money hungry moron and can't wait to cash in which he probably already has.

Moron is a strong word...Her father gave up his career as a college professor to follow Michelle and take care of her as a father should. To call him a money hungry moron is ridiculous. They were a VERY well off family before she went pro. He didn't cash in on his daughter's success. He sacrificed his career to get her there. Don't speak if you don't know what you are talking about.

As far as her playing in PGA tour events, the sponsors are smart to give her the invitation. Attendance at events where she is playing is probably close to double that of other events on Thursday and Friday. That is a major jump in profits. They almost always have good attendance on the weekends. I lived in Jacksonville for years and every year at TPC there are an abundance of tickets available for the weekday rounds. Even at this huge event, they can't sell enough. Anything they can do to sell tickets on Thursday and Friday is a bonus. Even if she misses the cut, they get a lot more bang for the buck.

Do you live with the Wie's or personally know them to know that he is not a money hungry moron??? If not then how can YOU prove that he is not banking on what his daughter is making. Also I am kind of curious to something you said, he quit his job to travel with his daughter. What money is he currently living on to keep his house, all the travel, etc???? Hmmmm I don't think Professors get paid THAT much in the state of Hawaii to be considered "VERY well off". I was stating my opinion and I don't care how you feel about it. I will say it again, MY opinion is that Mr. Wie is a money hungry moron!! My god I spoke!

The discussion on this thread, so far, has been quite civil. Just as Methodists and Lutherans will argue interpretation, we can civily express our thoughts on the MW matter. I really would rather not believe someone on the board would personally attack MW's father. Attacking the idea of MW's playing or not playing in specific events is discussion... what this board is about. Personally attacking someone is NOT what this board is about. So, maybe I am reading something incorrectly...

First, I looked up the Webster's definition of moron. Websters lists two definitions. One, "a mildly mentally retarded person". No, that doesn't fit. Mr. Wie is a tenured college professor and, most certainly, not "mentally retarded". It would be difficult to gain the degrees and achieve the career he has if mentally retarded. The second definition is "a stupid person". Again, Mr. Wie has not only been intelligent enough to exist successfully in the teaching profession... but at the collegiate level. He also has been savvy enough to promote a daughter's talents into a 10 million dollar endorsement contract. These achievements simply don't seem to fit the description of "a stupid person". Therefore, the only thing I can figure out is the poster must have a typo error.

The only reasonable explanation is the poster really meant to say "...opinion is that Mr. Wie is a money hungry Morman..." Evidently, the poster has a prblem with spelling Morman and has mispelled is moron. And, since I do not know the religious preference of the Wie family, I will not venture a guess as to whether or not they do belong to the Mormon denomination. However, I would believe we would all be better off discussing participation in events... winning and not winning on tour... our favorite set of irons... and even be better off referring to folks as Mormons, Methodists, Lutherans... not morons.

No sense trying to rationalize the point of "moron" with the guy with an opinion. Obviously he's convinced himself that parents who support, defend, and guide their children as they strive for success are morons. No matter that he can quit his job because his wife and mother of their child still sells real estate in one of the costly market's in the U.S., Hawaii...he's obviously "money grubbing." Shame on us for not recognizing this.

No sense trying to rationalize the point of "moron" with the guy with an opinion. Obviously he's convinced himself that parents who support, defend, and guide their children as they strive for success are morons. No matter that he can quit his job because his wife and mother of their child still sells real estate in one of the costly market's in the U.S., Hawaii...he's obviously "money grubbing." Shame on us for not recognizing this.

That's my point. They were a well off family before Michelle made her millions. I just hated the "moran remark". I am not surprised it was made though. People that are not as strong at communicating their points often rely on insults. It is very easy on boards like this where you cannot be held "accountable"...I doubt his opinion would get voiced as strong in person.

I think she's adorable but just wish she'd play on the LPGA where she might actually win something. It's not that complicated. She's driven by money, fame and publicity, not golf.

Hard to argue with any of this. I really can't just see why she can't just play LPGA and leave it at that.

Comparing her to Tiger is ridiculous. Check their individual records at the same age and it's a no-brainer.

Maybe nlacross was a bit strong with his description of Mr Wie, but he's entitled to his opinion, and to a certain extent I agree with him. Maybe they were well off beforehand, but to say he's sacrificed his career is a bit over the top. There's nothing at all stopping him continuing his career - except the fact that his daughter just signed a 70 million odd dollar contract. I wouldn't call it much of a sacrifice to follow my insanely rich child around the world watching/playing golf for the rest of my life.

But anyways, we are getting off the point. I like Michelle Wie, and actually enjoy watching her play, but for the life of me I can't understand why she is playing in men's events when she has exactly zero W's on her resume against the women. She's got to learn to win, and she won't do that in PGA events. IMO if she played a full season on the PGA tour (with or without invitations) she would not go close to making enough money to keep her card. I always thought the idea of tournaments was to win, not to make the cut.

IMO, having her play the LPGA Tour full time and competing against Annika, Paula Creamer, Morgan Pressel et al, would do 1000 times more for womens golf (including attracting sponsors) than eventually making a cut in a PGA Tour event after X number of attempts.

TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 9* Even Flow Blue 60X
Taylor Made Sim 2 Ti 15* Tensei 80 S
Srixon ZX Utility 3 Diamana Thump X

Srixon ZX5 4-7 Nippon NS Pro 120X

Srixon ZX7 8-A Nippon NS Pro 120X

Mizuno T22 56, 60 KBS C-Taper 120S
Taylor Made Spider Tour Red

Lets see she just came in 2nd 3rd (thanks rising) in what might be considered the LPGAs Masters at age 16. Does anyone think Tiger (1/2 Thai) would have come in 3rd in the Masters at 16. I can answer that having seen him play at 16 NO. As a matter of fact I saw him play as an amateur in the 1996 U.S. Open. As I recall he came in something like 82. And that was at age 19 not 16.

Lets see she just came in 2nd 3rd (thanks rising) in what might be considered the LPGAs Masters at age 16. Does anyone think Tiger (1/2 Thai) would have come in 3rd in the Masters at 16. I can answer that having seen him play at 16 NO. As a matter of fact I saw him play as an amateur in the 1996 U.S. Open. As I recall he came in something like 82. And that was at age 19 not 16.

And a fantastic effort by her - playing against the women like she should be, and attracting viewewrs to their tournaments.

But instead of talking hypotheticals between Michelle and Tiger, at least we can say definitively that Tiger had won something by the time he was 16...

And a fantastic effort by her - playing against the women like she should be, and attracting viewewrs to their tournaments.

But instead of talking hypotheticals between Michelle and Tiger, at least we can say definitively that Tiger had won something by the time he was 16...

A fantastic effort... A great tournament for viewers... and, no, we should not draw a comparison between Wie and Woods. I do have a little trouble understanding what you are trying to say by "... had won something by the time he was 16..." One could take that to insinuate this 16 year old girl has never won. At age 13, MW was the youngest player in the USGA's 108 year history to win an adult event. That year she won the USGA Women's Amateur Public LInks.

A fantastic effort... A great tournament for viewers... and, no, we should not draw a comparison between Wie and Woods. I do have a little trouble understanding what you are trying to say by "... had won something by the time he was 16..." One could take that to insinuate this 16 year old girl has never won. At age 13, MW was the youngest player in the USGA's 108 year history to win an adult event. That year she won the USGA Women's Amateur Public LInks.

That's called it is easier to just post away without any facts. As you correctly point out MW has a win against people much older than her. Once again check El Tigre's record at 13---his win(s) weren't the youngest in the USGA's history winning an adult event.

I stand corrected. I am sure I heard somewhere that she was yet to win anything of note. I should have done some of my own research before making that comment.

However, I will stand by my other comments that I think she would be better served by playing LPGA events and assisting attracting sponsors and increasing that Tour's exposure, much the same as Tiger did with the PGA Tour. Perhaps at some stage in the future, her game may have improved to a level when she could be competitive on the PGA Tour, but until she at least gets to the level that Annika is curently at, she should be playing LPGA and learning how to win (against the big guns) and close out a tourney.

My problem is with the poor pitiful LPGA, not Michelle personally. She has been given special treatment and exemptions over and over but has no wins other than a womens pub links a few years ago. Out of probably 20 exemptions, she has zero wins and is ranked #2 in the world. Just think of it like this...without Annika in the picture, Wie would be rated #1 without a win. The LPGA is doing anything they can to bring some cash flow to women's golf and they see this as a way to do that.

Somebody once said Ben Crenshaw was a legend before his time, the same observation could be made about Wie. We all must remember that prodigies of all sorts have certain obstacles that the rest of us cannot relate to. From a social stand point she fits nowhere. From a golf stand point there is no doubt about her talent and skill. As others have pointed out the LPGA, her Father, Nike, the TV networks all want in on the band wagon. She may well need the support system, but I believe if she were to emancipate herself and make her own dicissions she would be a happier and mor stable person and with that happiness, more golf success wiould follow.

Michelle Wie is living a dream. You're always gonna have people (media included) who hate people for doing that. The tennis world was all up in arms because the Williams sisters didn't play junior tennis and said that they would never win on the tour and then they ended up dominating.

If you were given Michelle spot we'd jump at the chance.

Callaway GBB Epic 10.5* - HZRDUS 5.5

Callaway GBB Epic 15* - HZRDUS 6.0

Adams Idea Pro 18* - Proto 80-S
Adams Idea A7 22* - Axivcore 85 S

Nike Pro Combo OS: 5-PW - Rifle 5.5

TaylorMade MG Hi-Toe 52* & 58* Big Foot - HI-REV 2.0
Yes! Callie

Vice Golf Tour

I stand corrected. I am sure I heard somewhere that she was yet to win anything of note. I should have done some of my own research before making that comment.

However, I will stand by my other comments that I think she would be better served by playing LPGA events and assisting attracting sponsors and increasing that Tour's exposure, much the same as Tiger did with the PGA Tour. Perhaps at some stage in the future, her game may have improved to a level when she could be competitive on the PGA Tour, but until she at least gets to the level that Annika is curently at, she should be playing LPGA and learning how to win (against the big guns) and close out a tourney.

Man! Please... I'm not picking on you! Mean nothing personally, but would appreciate the opportunity to "clarify" a couple of your comments.

"... be better served by playing LPGA events and assisting attracting sponsors and increasing that Tour's exposure..." Actually, not MW's responsibility to promote the LPGA tour. She is not a tour member and, until she either finishes high school or turns 18, cannot become a member. Until she is accepted as a member of the LPGA... if she even ever applies... her goals are to gain experience of competitng at the highest level possible. That happens to be the PGA and she will accept exemptions to that tour.

"... much the same as Tiger did with the PGA Tour..." TW had no choice! There are restrictions on males playing the LPGA. Fair or not... that's an entire different argument. Tiger only played a few PGA events as an amateur... Turned pro in 1997, joined the PGA, and began winning almost immediately.

"... at some stage in the future, her game may have improved to a level when she could be competitive on the PGA Tour..." She has been competitive on the PGA Tour. Just ask the seasoned PGA veterans that have finished lower than she has in the tournaments she has entered. Last year's John Deere Classic was a prime example. Many NAME players finished well below her and missed the cut by considerably more strokes. If MW's scores in the PGA events she has played in do not qualifiy her as "competitive"... we need to divest ourselves of about 40% of the PGA players who tee it up in every tourney.

"... learning how to win and close out a tourney..." Once she can commit to the game... once high school or college studies aren't priority... once she can be a tour member and play more than 8 tourneys a year... I do believe we will see MW win regularly. In the meantime, she has been "closing out tourneys". My goodness! To stay in the hunt until the 72nd hole this past Sunday... Something like 140 players who teed it up on Thursday would have killed to be able to "close" where MW did.

Again, not picking... just discussing...

Man! Please... I'm not picking on you! Mean nothing personally, but would appreciate the opportunity to "clarify" a couple of your comments.

"... be better served by playing LPGA events and assisting attracting sponsors and increasing that Tour's exposure..." Actually, not MW's responsibility to promote the LPGA tour. She is not a tour member and, until she either finishes high school or turns 18, cannot become a member. Until she is accepted as a member of the LPGA... if she even ever applies... her goals are to gain experience of competitng at the highest level possible. That happens to be the PGA and she will accept exemptions to that tour.

"... much the same as Tiger did with the PGA Tour..." TW had no choice! There are restrictions on males playing the LPGA. Fair or not... that's an entire different argument. Tiger only played a few PGA events as an amateur... Turned pro in 1997, joined the PGA, and began winning almost immediately.

"... at some stage in the future, her game may have improved to a level when she could be competitive on the PGA Tour..." She has been competitive on the PGA Tour. Just ask the seasoned PGA veterans that have finished lower than she has in the tournaments she has entered. Last year's John Deere Classic was a prime example. Many NAME players finished well below her and missed the cut by considerably more strokes. If MW's scores in the PGA events she has played in do not qualifiy her as "competitive"... we need to divest ourselves of about 40% of the PGA players who tee it up in every tourney.

"... learning how to win and close out a tourney..." Once she can commit to the game... once high school or college studies aren't priority... once she can be a tour member and play more than 8 tourneys a year... I do believe we will see MW win regularly. In the meantime, she has been "closing out tourneys". My goodness! To stay in the hunt until the 72nd hole this past Sunday... Something like 140 players who teed it up on Thursday would have killed to be able to "close" where MW did.

Again, not picking... just discussing...

That's cool mate, I'm all for discussion/debate and I don't take many things too personally. And I still disagree with you. :stop:

IMO, the only thing she's gaining by playing PGA Tour events is more missed cuts. I believe that if she played LPGA events, she would gain just as much experience, and actually probably more as she would be playing 54 and 72 holes, not 36.

I never said it was her responsibility to propmote the LPGA, but surely there's no doubt that would happen regardless simply by her playing. Sponsors will be attracted and TV networks will be more interested (and you'd probably get alot less people p!ssed off about her getting 70% of TV coverage like she has in past mens events).

We obviously aren't going to agree on the 3rd point, but I don't believe 0/6 or 0/7 cuts in mens events is competitive. AUDuffers comment "Your argument about her finishing ahead of men is one of my favorite laughable arguments. Anyone can finish ahead of anyone during any given tournament. The thing is most of the players are competing for an entire season, but we choose to focus on the one tourney she played in. Give her a full season and then we'll see how she stacks up against the rest of the PGA." hits the nail on the head. I think she beat Adam Scott at Hawaii one year. So by your argument. she's a better player than him? I don't get it.

And she hasn't learnt how to win or close out a tournament. A few facts here, she led or was close to the lead at a LPGA Major (I think US Womens Open last year) after 3 rounds and shot 80 something. She had a chance of making the cut at the John Deere a couple of years ago and finished bogey/bogey to miss. She was one off the lead with a mid-iron 2nd shot to a Par 5 at the Dinah Shore on the weekend and hits a good shot to the fringe. Eagle to win, birdie to get in playoff and she takes 3 to get down from 30 feet to miss by 1. IMO, that is NOT closing out a tournament.

Great responses... I'll agree to disagree, but that's what discussion boards are all about. We could argue some of these points forever. Even though I don't agree with some of your points, I do applaud your polite and eloquent manner of expressing your points.

Having been married for 40 years to a beautiful lady, it has been almost that 40 years since I've won any argument at home. And now, you won't even let me win an argument on the board. Couldn't you just let me think I've won to build up the ego 40 years of marriage has destroyed??? LOL

Only one other point I'd like to make... (I know, you are saying "Why doesn't he just leave it alone!") You make mention that you would prefer/recommend MW playing more LPGA events instead of the PGA events. Just keep in mind that she IS playing the maximum LPGA events allotted. As a non-member she can only play 6 events a season, plus the Women's British Open and the Women's U.S. Open. That limits her to only 8 events total on the ladies' tour. In reality, the PGA events are "pick-up" events to gain experience. Once a member of the LPGA, with a full schedule available, you could see a different approach to the events in which she participates.

Fair point you make there. I hadn't considered that... (For what it's worth, you can have that one :stop: )

I hope you're right about her taking a different approach when she becomes a full member. I suppose only time will tell...

I am all Wied out and at the end of the day you have to remember it is Women's golf we are talking about.

Lawnmower racing is more exciting.

Todd

I dont' know what lawnmower races you watch, but this past weekends LPGA golf was a great tournament. Sex has nothing to do with it....it was GOLF and the way the professionalism and sportsmanship these women displayed this past weekend surely is gaining them a lot of new fans and definitely a lot of PGA converts.