Best irons and why?

VAN59

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't clown me too much guys..... I really like the original Nike Slingshots. Crisp feel and great ball flight for me. Bad shots just mean longer putts. You can still work the ball a little but the best shot for them is straight and high. My all time favorite is still the old Mizuno Comp Ez's. Just found a mint set and have them on the way as my second set.

I go back and forth with wild swings. Play super-forgiving irons (last year it was G2's) until I get my index down below 10. Then I start thinking I'm a player and get some beautiful new irons like MP-32's.

This year I've tried a lot of irons and the best ones I've found for a compromise of the two are X-Tours.

Mizuno MX-23's are far and away the best I've ever played. I've had a go with many OEM and a few componant cast cavity backs over the last 10 years or so (owned or demo'ed), including some minimal offset versions aimed at better players. The 23's are almost as forgiving as the super game improvers (like Big Bertha's) while allowing me to experience that soft forged feel that so many of the low handicappers crave from their blades and player's cavity backs. These irons have given me options I never had before, I can hit my usual mid-flight draw or a high or low straight shot and I believe I'm getting close to being able to hit an intentional fade. The significant weight low and back completely takes the sting out of thin shots but the muscle/power bar is hidden at address, that coupled with a thin topline gives me the feeling that I'm playing a serious club. Even my shallow divots are consistent with these, the sole has an unusual looking grind (noticably beveled leading and trailing edge) and while I couldn't tell you why it works it definitely gives me the best ball/turf contact I've ever been able to achieve. If I ever graduate to low handicap status maybe I'll experiment with something else, but for the foreseeable future I've found my iron nirvana.

Rapture V1 10.5 BB
Rapture V1 14
G15 2,4,5,6 HY Recoil 95
G15 7-LW CFS
Karsten TR B60

I agree on the MX-23s. I have been playing them for 2 years and they are great. Perfect combo of feel and forgiveness without being too clunky.

WITB:
Tsi3 11 deg with Tensei White 65s
Tsi2 16.5 deg with Tensei White 75s
Ping g410 Hybrid 3-5
Ping i210 6-UW AWT 2.0
Mizuno T22 54, 58
Ping Sigma G Tyne
Sun Mountain 4.5 LS/14 Way

It's really not a legitimate question.

The best irons for who? what player?

Super Game Improvement

1. Ping G5

2. BB 2006

3. Mizuno MX-900

Game Improvement for Players

1. Ping i5

Fusions

MX-23

Players - with some Forgiveness

1. Miura CB-301, 201

Mizuno MP-60

Cally HX-Tour

Ping S-59

Bridgestone Combos, Bridgestone CBs

Miuras and Pings are what I play - so of course, I put them #1 for me. But it's hard to rank clubs because it depends on the individual's taste.

I don't play Tity, TM or Cleveland so I can't offer my opinion - I've looked at them and Tity has some offerings that look interesting but they're usually heavy feeling to me. I've hit some TM game improvement irons - they're nice. Clevelands just never appealed to me.

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi Golf Shaft @45 in. (coming soon)
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18/ TPT Golf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Ping i230 5-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 or Ping Glide Forged Pro, Both with Nippon 105 
  • Putter:  LAB DF3 TPT Shaft (waiting)
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

This is what I have played

1.Miura 1005 & 3005 (J Spec) & cb201(us Spec)

2.Titleist 690mb&735chrome

3.Cleveland TA5

4.Fourteen 1000tb

5.Honma

6.Mizuno mp30

I started out with honma 4 yrs ago and as I progress in yr2 I switch to Cleveland then in yr 3 Miura 3005 as i think it is more forgiving and it has smaller head compare to cleveland. I eventually move on to Miura 1005 & Mizuno mp 30 at the end of yr3. At the beginning of yr 4 I tried Titleist 735 but I did not like the feel at all. Now I am playing with TT mb 690 and Fourteen 1000tb. Actually I like most of the club I have played since they serve thier own purposes.

I still t enjoy TT 690 mb very much for blade and for cavity back I like Miura 1005 (Japan spec)

for me, there is noting better than the nike pro combos (original or tour).

- the short irons are pure sexy, with a great feel, and amazing accuracy and shot control, yet forgiving enough to not serously punish you on mishits.

- the middle irons are a perfect combination of control and forgiveness. easy to get up in the aire, but also easy to control trajectory.

- long irons are just the easiest clubs to hit, and extremely forgiving, but still able to shape a shot. mishits will still be on or near the green.

the nike forgings are perfect, a combination of soft but crisp feel. a well stroke shot is very obvious, almost like hitting air, while mis hits are not harsh, but obvious it was not on center. for such a forgiving and easy to hit iron, it has a pretty narrow sole, making it very versatile.

[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike covert tour 2.0 w/ diamana blueboard 83[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike sq 2 tour 15* w/ ust v2 95 tour[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]adams idea pro tour 18* w/ fujikura 904hb[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]adams idea pro tour 22* w/ fujikura 904hb[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike pro combo tour 4-pw[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]titliest vokey sm5 52*[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]titliest vokey sm5 58*[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]scotty cameron newport beach[/size][/font][/color]

I think it's the one you put the most effort. I've gone through 7 different sets of irons for last 3 years.

started with titleist 990 in '03 and then...

Cally x-14 pro w/ Rifle constant weight

mizuno mp 30 w/ S300

mizuno mp30/33 combo w/ s300

nike blade w/ rifle 5.0

miura mb/cb combo w/ px 6.0

taylormade rac cb miura w/ S300

taylormade rac cb miura w/ PX 5.5

mizuno mp-33 w/ DG SL R300

nike blade w/ S300

and now, I have nike blade w/PX 5.5 ...since last September.

the shortest lifespan among them on me was mp 30/33 combo. BUt that's just because i just don't like the idea of having a 'combo' set with 2 different irons. I also played mizuno mp-32 with DG SL S300 for a week while my clubmaker was assembling the nike with PX 5.5(he let me play their demo set). But I can't tell much about a set just by playing a couple of rounds with them. So, i can't tell much, but at least it wasn't very impressive...to me.

I'm not saying nike blade is the best at all. but reason i'm playing this set is..

1. I'm a feel player, and you can't beat the feeling of pure blade at the impact. If you're sensitive enough, you can actually tell the difference between mizuno mp33 and nike blades. but either of them has way softer feeling than any cavity backs.

2. I like the simple look. (and no other blades has cleaner look than nike blades...to my eyes at least)

3. They are NOT so much harder to play than X-14 pro's w/ much better look

4. I like PX shaft a lot for the weight and tight feeling. (I'm not so sure about the better accuracy or tighter dispersion than DG S300 though )

5. since i like their look a lot, I like playing/practicing with it.

6. for some reason, i hit the 4 and 7 iron of this set the best among the one i've tried. I'm a bogey player and i say people that my favorite club is my 4 iron???

again, i'm a bogey player and i play 18 hole about twice a month. so according to their recommendation or whatevery, i shouldn't be playing blades at all. but again, I don't play cally x-14 pro's(which i gave to my bro-in-law) or my buddy's mizuno MX-23's much better than my nike blades. :crazy:

the biggest lesson i've learned from my experience is that...

"Get the head that you LIKE with the shaft that is RIGHT for you " :idhitit:

after that, it should be how much effort you put into them to make them 'the best'....for YOU.

but all these info...is very personal.... to each his own. :crazy:

cheers!.

Mizuno MX-23's are the best.

1. Forged heads give the feel that cast heads cannot match. With this feel and a little practice, it is easy to groove a swing.

2. Short irons are more of a MB then a true cavity back. Allow for lots of high spinning approach shots.

3. Long irons have the undercut cavity that offer the forgiveness of a GI club.

4. Ability to have them customized for no upcharge by Mizuno justifies the price.

Finally, when you play Mizuno, you are making a statement:

"I care about my game and I am going to do something about it."

There is no such thing as a BEST set of irons.If you're wondering what set has stood the test of time above and beyond all other brands it would have to be the Ping Eye 2's.

Have to agree. I am still using a 3-L in this set. Thinking of replacing the wedges as they have too much bounce for the tight lies I see, but otherwise great set of irons.

PING
G425 LST 10.5* Alta CB Slate 55S

G430 Max 3W Alta CB Slate 65S

G410 2H, 3H Alta CB Red 70S

Glide 2.0 ES 54,60 AWT wedge S (blackout)

Vault Anser 2 Slate

Callaway 

Apex Pro Combo ‘19 5-A Steelfiber i95S

Titleist

ProV1 (2021) Yellow / White

The clubs I have right now are the best for me (at the moment). Taylor Made RAC LT(2?). Every shot feels good, the mishits are not bad and there is no pain in my hands from the really bad shots. I had my moms forged Mizunos before and they were amazing but only on the really really good shots. Anything off of the sweet spot was painful and had horrible flight. It wasn't the club, it was me.

I'm LOVING my Taylor Mades but if I were to switch to forged clubs like Titleists tommorow, I would like what they look like and like how they feel on some shots but it would not be worth it to play an iron that will not improve my game.

The moral is: Get good, save up, and buy your dream set when it will help more than hinder your game. :idhitit:

(off topic: what's the difference between Rac LTs and Rac LT2s???)