2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Golf Courses / Partners in northern NJ

umassgolfer

Hi,

I am brand new to Northern Jersey, moving from right outside of DC. We are lucky enough to have a good number of public fee courses that can be played under 90 dollars on the weekend and are in good condition with a general solid feel to the experience. And suggestions on what courses within about an hour or Hawthorne / Paramus should be considered for somewhat regular play?

Alternatively, I may be interested in joining a semi-private club if a decent assiciate membership is offered. Any ideas here?

Lastly, I am moving for work and have no social circle at all in NJ. I am a 23 yr old guy, andI generally shoot in the 80's, with the occasional round in the 70's thrown in. Shoot me a PM if you want to get a round in sometime.

Thanks guys!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I live in JC and have played all over the metro area the past few years.

Crystal springs courses - Wild Turkey, Ballyowen, Black Bear, Crystal Springs are all quality, but play them when you can get a deal. Prime time fees are expensive.

Neshanic Valley and High Bridge Hills are both linksish/farm style layouts that are both nice. Neshanic has 27 holes and great practice facility.

The Morris county courses are supposed to be great, Berkshire Valley and Sunset Valley - but I have not played either yet

Spook Rock in Suffern NY is one of my favorite go-to's. Its an old country club that was bought by the town. Nice practice area and classic country club style layout.

More towards the shore is Colts Neck GC and Hominy Hill. Hominy is one of best public courses in NJ, and CNGC is a nice option thats easier to get on although a little short. Really like both of these.

I am from the area as well and I would agree that a drive down to colts neck has always provided me with good golf, tons of public courses to choose from. the public courses in bergen county are kind of garbage IMO although I havent played them this year. Let me know if you find any good courses that have a decent associate membership; I havent been able to find one myself.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks guys,

I have only gotten to play one round since I have been up here, at Bear Brook out in Newton. The course was in real nice shape but was pretty short. Even from the tips I was hitting hybrid or iron and a short iron or wedge into most holes. The greens were very nice though, as was the pro.

I will try to play one or two rounds this weekend, that Sunset Valley looks like a nice option. Trying to keep it in the $50 - $60 range (not easy around here, I know...)

To add to my above post, I played Berkshire Valley last weekend and loved it. Definetly among the top few public options in North Jersey. Its situated in a valley, suprisingly, so lot of elevation changes and a modern design.

I still haven't played Sunset Valley, saw some bad recent reviews online so would be interested to hear if anyone has played it this season. I know in the past its been a great course.

I played Richter Park in Danbury CT labor day weekend, and this is my favorite public course in the metro area, although I havent been to Bethpage yet. Well worth the trip up there. A great experience.

[quote name='umassgolfer' post='1959212' date='Sep 18 2009, 05:05 PM']Thanks guys,

I have only gotten to play one round since I have been up here, at Bear Brook out in Newton. The course was in real nice shape but was pretty short. Even from the tips I was hitting hybrid or iron and a short iron or wedge into most holes. The greens were very nice though, as was the pro.

I will try to play one or two rounds this weekend, that Sunset Valley looks like a nice option. Trying to keep it in the $50 - $60 range (not easy around here, I know...)[/quote]

I've always found the pubs in the northeast to be short in general. A bit longer grass in the fairways than you will find as you head further south, so not as much roll off the tees.

This year was horrible for driving distance. Very soft fairways (tons of rain) and the temps never got that high, so everything stayed soft after a night of rain. Courses are in amazing shape however.

I'm playing the backs/tips quite a bit now. I stay between the 6500-7100 mark. Most courses I play around the PA/NJ border top out at 7k. I played the Center Valley Club (right by Saucon Valley) from the Pro tees about 2 weeks ago. 7150, and that's the longest i've played to date, and that's the longest pub I know of in the area. Heck, even Pine Valley is under 7k from the tips (I think its 6999 :D).

[quote name='johnnybogey' post='1918128' date='Aug 27 2009, 05:24 PM']Have any of you guys played New York Country Club? in Tappan NY?

I am playing there tomorrow.[/quote]

NY CC is not in Tappan. It is a little further North than that. Either Spring Valley or New Hempstead in the Town of Ramapo. It is hilly, overpriced and a course you probably don't want to play regularly. Spook Rock, Patriot Hills and Rotella are all within 10 minutes of NY CC and much better layouts and value IMO.

[quote name='umassgolfer' post='1883577' date='Aug 12 2009, 04:42 PM']Hi,

I am brand new to Northern Jersey....suggestions on what courses within about an hour or Hawthorne / Paramus should be considered for somewhat regular play?

Alternatively, I may be interested in joining a semi-private club if a decent assiciate membership is offered. Any ideas here?[/quote]

Spook Rock is about 20 minutes from Paramus. Patriot Hills and Rotella are about 30 minutes.

The best bang for the buck private club in the area is Otterkill. It is about the same distance from Paramus or Hawthorne as Crystal Springs/Balleyowen. It will take almopst an hour by car up Rte 87 to the NYS Thruway. Otterkill is very inexpensive for a private club and it is a course that you can play every day and not get tired of it. It is almost always in great condition. There are a bunch of members from Bergen County NJ including a few from Hawthorne, but the ones I know are older than you. Call up the club and see if they will let you play a round. Here is a link to photos of the club.

[url="http://sports.webshots.com/album/558463780jPicEN"]http://sports.webshots.com/album/558463780jPicEN[/url]

• 1 month later...

having spent all of my time in north jersey, i have to tell you the the absolute best deals are the morris county courses and the monmouth county courses. both places allow you to buy county cards even if you live outside said county. morris has sunset (under renovation but playable), flanders and berkshire. monmouth has hominy, howell and charleston springs. any of these courses would make for a good day of golf. if you are planning to stay in the area, all of the second tier private clubs are making deals, and the courses are very, very good. good luck.

• 1 month later...

Come on up to West Point Golf Course.... it's in amazing shape, and 2010 will be a banner year. Conditions are going to be phenomenal, and it's a pretty sweet deal during the week for such a great track, with amazing views. There's also a full-scale PGA-style grass range so you can get your practice in. We're about 45 mins north of the Tap. It's relatively close to north Jersey/NYC, but feels like a world away. Many people from the metro area don't realize it's open to the public, since it used to be a strictly military course. Make it an Army weekend, and check out some division 1 sports, or just take a tour of the Academy. You'll love it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

As an update, I ended up joining Glenwood CC in Old Bridge. They had a special running in the fall that I simply could not refuse. It is about 45 min from where I live, but in VA you would expect to drive that far for any decent round so it's not too bad from my perspective.

Thanks for all the tips to everyone, I will certainly be trying out a bunch of these courses this year to break up the one-course doldrums that I expect to set in. If anyone wants to get a round in over a weekend once courses open back up shoot me a PM.

Good luck with Glenwood, i think they changed owners. i use to work there years ago and the owner was a guy named Jerry Primvera, kinda of a cheap fast talking italian guy. The course use to be kinda cheap and in ok shape, but i heard they got there act together. Good Luck!

driver callaway xhot 2 8.5 S
irons: callaway xhot 2 4-aw
Hybrid: Baffler 19deg
3wood callaway xhot
putter: Ping scottsdale 2
wedges: taylormade atv 52 56