2024 The Memorial Tournament WITB Pics & New Titleist GT woods ×

Ryan Moore

AP2 712

The guy has still won $6.5 mil on Tour. He had sponsors for awhile, so I am sure he picked up some money there too.

But, I think it's pretty silly not to have 1 main sponsor. Maybe after getting a win, he can cut the kind of deal he wants. Maybe get a Puma sponsorship or something. Someone without the demands a club company would want. Might not be huge money, but free clothes is nice.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='hogans71' post='1910605' date='Aug 24 2009, 10:24 AM'][quote name='socalpaul97' post='1910334' date='Aug 24 2009, 03:39 AM']I'm cool with him being independent and all that, but a few sit-ups, and razor once in-awhile would be cool too.[/quote]

Yeah, how dare he not be like the rest of society... :rolleyes:
[/quote]

Exactly. The first part of that statement does not go with the second part. "I'm cool with him being independent... I just wish he would conform." LOL

That aside, great win for Ryan. I saw him back at the Masters before he turned pro (2004 I think?) and was very impressed. Been pulling for him since and glad to see he finally broke through. I agree with others that it is a nice change of pace to see someone not be a walking billboard and choose their equipment based solely on performance. Sure, he could make a little more money, but clearly he thinks he's sacrificing something to be with a sponsor. Winning and playing well on tour will probably take care of your bank account all by itself I'd imagine. I think I read he jumped to 22 on the Fedex list. Might get to see him here at Eastlake for the Tour championship now.

I applaud his no sponsorship, can you imagine being a touring pro and having access to any of these "tour only" clubs without having one brand your obligated to? It would be heaven. Although he is leaving money on the table ,Im sure he coukd find a contract that says he can play whatever he feels performs the best, just wear their hat ( in ranger style of course)

I like the individualism in his thinking, but in the end he kinda looks like a slob. Golf is one of the very few sports that doesnt have a set uniform ,outside of dress/kahki pants (days of the collared shirt only are obviously not the standard anymore), but seriously dress like a professional.

Stealth 2+ 7.0 PD 6X

Stealth 2+ 5wd ADDI-7x

iCrossover 3H ADDI 95x

ZX7 MKii 4-AW C-Taper 130x

MG4 56* 60* DGX7 Spinner 

PLD Custom Anser 2D BGT Stability 

Props to Ryan! I love the fact that he plays golf for a living instead of conforming to an ideal for a living. Yes he could make more money but I am confident he is doing well with the money he has earned so far. With no sponsors he is free to become the man he wants to be with no outside pressure. I am sure that these contracts hinder a lot of the pros more than we know. With no contract he is a hourly wage employee & can not be taken advantage of like if he were a salaried employee. 6.5 million is plenty for him to live & tour on. Let him be Ryan Moore & enjoy the fact that he is Ryan Moore & not Joe the golf pro.

It is very sad that he is criticized for being different. He is the bright light in the dull tunnel that has become the PGA Tour. He steps up on the tee with all the confidence one can muster & puts a wild homemade swing on the ball. He is truly one of us hackers that happens to be good enough to earn a living playing this silly game.

[quote name='socalpaul97' post='1911533' date='Aug 24 2009, 06:22 PM']Oops. I didn't mean to insult all you anti-exercise, anti-hygiene people out there.[/quote]

I mean, he's far from overweight and just because you don't shave every morning doesn't make you a dirty person.

[b]XHP 3-Deep (13)- 7.3X @ 43.5”
X-Forged UT (#3- 21)- DG X700
716MB (5-PW)- DG S400
Vokey (TVD SM7 RAW 52 & SM6 RAW 58)- DG S400
Cameron Napa California @ 34"[/b]

i think it's friggin cool that he's not 100% driven by money. There's no one else i can think of in any other sport right now that is similar to him (i don't mean an NBA player passing up 65 million to make 60 million or the like..) but to actually willingly not double or triple his salary to remain his own person is pretty cool.

Ryan Moore is my new favorite player!

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Srixon ZX 19h w/PX hzrdus Red 80

Mizuno MP241 4-PW w/KBS Ctaper LITE

Mizuno MP24 52 w/KBS Ctaper LITE

Cleveland RTX6 60/10--Spinner

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

I asked him this very question in the Wednesday Pro Am and he basically echoed what's been said already, but the main reason he went "sponsorless" was club selection, namely the putter. He said he'd never sign another contract requiring him to play one brand of putter.

He did say he planned on signing with someone at year end once he figured out what he wants to play.

Wow, I never would have thought this many people would despise his style, especially the hat. Coming from the music/film/tech, modern college town life, that sort of attire is an everyday thing and to see it on TV at a PGA event brings a nice breath of fresh air into the world of golf. I really respect him for his decisions and hopefully he doesn't change a thing because I think I've just found a new player to root for.

I may not like everything the guy wears but i certainly give him credit for pulling it off.

On the PGA Tour, how many guys can differientiate themselves from the herd.... not many. He has created a niche for himself, he was more then a name.

Not only did he beat to his own drum, but now he will get a bigger "Sponsorship Deal" if and when he wants one. Hey, who knows if i were his sponser i would want him to keep the "hippster" style.

TALK GOOD ABOUT ME, TALK BAD ABOUT ME, JUST TALK ABOUT ME.

Nice interview and I have to say I like the look, both of my daughters think he is really cool (they are 16 and 21)..............so more power to him!

Joe

Driver: Ping G425 Max 10.5  Mitsubishi Tensei AV Orange 55 Stiff
Wood: Ping G425 5 & 7 Wood  Mitsubishi Tensei AV Orange 75 Stiff

Hybrid: Ping 425 4i Mitsubishi Tensei Orange

Wilson D9 Forged 5-GW

Ping Glide 4.0 54 and 58 Wilson Tour Forged 56 and 60
Putter: LAB Directed Force 2.1 (33-69)//Seemore Custom "The Big Fluffy"
Bag: Vessel Player III

[quote name='cardia10' post='1910479' date='Aug 24 2009, 08:00 AM']Sure, he may want to be stylish, but lets go back to the original question- Don't get me wrong, I'm really glad he won, but he makes about half the cuts and is 120 or so in the world. He's barely above David Duval! I'm sure he would get enough sponsorship to cover expenses, [b]but I don't think it would be worth his hassle to accept it. [/b]With this win, it may vault he to a slightly higher tier, but not much. It's nice to be proud every once in a while, but only a fool wouldn't accecpt handouts considering you never know if you will make it to the top again. His previous amateur history should prove otherwise, but you never know.[/quote]

[url="http://www.golf.com/golf/equipment/article/0,28136,1918628,00.html?eref=golf"]http://www.golf.com/golf/equipment/article....html?eref=golf[/url]

half a mil might be worth the hassle

[quote name='randomhero1090' post='1910653' date='Aug 24 2009, 03:46 PM']The guy has still won $6.5 mil on Tour. He had sponsors for awhile, so I am sure he picked up some money there too.

But, I think it's pretty silly not to have 1 main sponsor. Maybe after getting a win, he can cut the kind of deal he wants. Maybe get a Puma sponsorship or something. Someone without the demands a club company would want. Might not be huge money, but free clothes is nice.[/quote]
Good money for not having won. Kaymer did a similar thing (no sponsors - not the tie, etc) during his first year on the Euro Tour if I remember correctly. I think he just wanted to raise his profile before negotiating his deals.

Taylormade M1 440 - Tensei CK Pro Orange TX
Adams VST Hybrid (19) - GD AD-DI X
Tour Edge Exotics CB4 (4 wood) - GD AD-DI X
Mizuno JPX 919 Tour (5-PW) KBS S-Taper S
Mizuno JPX 919 Forged (4) KBS S-Taper S
Taylormade Milled Grind (52 & 58, SB) - Nippon Modus 130 S
Taylormade Spider Tour (red) / Scotty Cameron Button Back Newport
Titleist Pro V1
Feeling sad and neglected: Taylormade P750 (4-PW) / Srixon 765 (4-PW) - Nippon Modus 3 130 S

He's a good man in my eyes..
I watched him take a good fifteen minutes to sign every autograph yesterday on the way to the practice tee.
while camillo pushed kids out of the way.
He plays in old puma sneakers and looks like he got his clothes out of a consignment shop.His bag looks like some seventies throw back he got at a garage sale.
He can flat out play hitting all the fairways and was throwing darts at the pins..
He has a unique swing.setting up at least 30 degrees open.He takes it back straight down the line almost like Jim Furyk.Drops it inside and hits it straight and hard..
He's a breath of fresh air.Non assuming,just like a kid palying a game.It's fun to watch.I hope he does well and can write his own check in the future..

I dont really have a guess, I was playing with some random people the other day and that subject came while we were playing and they were all agreeing that he might want to come out of the closet some day. I don't know exactly what correlation there is between being or not being with being sponsorted. But just letting you guys know what the people I was paired with last weekend were commenting.

[quote name='hurricanewarning' post='1919035' date='Aug 27 2009, 10:52 PM']I dont really have a guess, I was playing with some random people the other day and that subject came while we were playing and they were all agreeing that he might want to come out of the closet some day. I don't know exactly what correlation there is between being or not being with being sponsorted. But just letting you guys know what the people I was paired with last weekend were commenting.[/quote]

Are you serious? What in the world does that have to do with him not having sponsors, or winning a tournament?

[quote name='hurricanewarning' post='1919035' date='Aug 28 2009, 12:52 AM']I dont really have a guess, I was playing with some random people the other day and that subject came while we were playing and they were all agreeing that he might want to come out of the closet some day. I don't know exactly what correlation there is between being or not being with being sponsorted. But just letting you guys know what the people I was paired with last weekend were commenting.[/quote]

Pretty poor post.

[quote name='twelvegage' post='1919666' date='Aug 28 2009, 11:53 AM'][quote name='hurricanewarning' post='1919035' date='Aug 27 2009, 10:52 PM']I dont really have a guess, I was playing with some random people the other day and that subject came while we were playing and they were all agreeing that he might want to come out of the closet some day. I don't know exactly what correlation there is between being or not being with being sponsorted. But just letting you guys know what the people I was paired with last weekend were commenting.[/quote]

Are you serious? What in the world does that have to do with him not having sponsors, or winning a tournament?
[/quote]
Hey now, hurricanewarning doesn't himself have those opinions - he is just reporting others' opinions for no discernible reason. If he himself had these opinions, he might be considered judgmental, or otherwise idiotic. But he doesn't. Other people have these opinions. He just reports on them.

[quote name='CowtownTexas' post='1919680' date='Aug 28 2009, 12:02 PM'][quote name='hurricanewarning' post='1919035' date='Aug 28 2009, 12:52 AM']I dont really have a guess, I was playing with some random people the other day and that subject came while we were playing and they were all agreeing that he might want to come out of the closet some day. I don't know exactly what correlation there is between being or not being with being sponsorted. But just letting you guys know what the people I was paired with last weekend were commenting.[/quote]

Pretty poor post.
[/quote]

Not that its for certain or that it even matters but in an interview somebody posted...he said he turned down the private jet from the Wyndham so he could stay with his girlfriend.

[b]XHP 3-Deep (13)- 7.3X @ 43.5”
X-Forged UT (#3- 21)- DG X700
716MB (5-PW)- DG S400
Vokey (TVD SM7 RAW 52 & SM6 RAW 58)- DG S400
Cameron Napa California @ 34"[/b]

[quote name='hurricanewarning' post='1919035' date='Aug 28 2009, 12:52 AM']I dont really have a guess, I was playing with some random people the other day and that subject came while we were playing and they were all agreeing that he might want to come out of the closet some day. I don't know exactly what correlation there is between being or not being with being sponsorted. But just letting you guys know what the people I was paired with last weekend were commenting.[/quote]
LOL! I darn near pissed myself reading your post, kid. :cheesy:

Here is a great article/interview about Moore and his lack of sponsors from Darren Rovell...

http://www.cnbc.com/id/32571769

Less Is More For Moore, But For How Long?

Published: Wednesday, 26 Aug 2009 | 4:49 PM ET icon_textT.gifText Size icon_text_minus.gificon_text_plus.gifBy: Darren Rovell

Sports Business Reporter Ryan Moore was one of the most heralded golfers in amateur history, so when he turned pro in 2005, all the major companies were after him. By all accounts, Moore cashed in pretty nicely with deals from Oakley and Ping, but the two got a discount because they were the brands that Moore felt most comfortable with.

Not going with a company that would give him the most money was certainly not the way most have gone, and neither was his next step. After last season, Moore decided to lose the sponsor logos altogether and not sign a single deal. The move went largely unnoticed since he missed the cut in about half the tournaments he played in.

So when he finally won "logoless" at last weekend's Wyndham Championship, there was a lot of confusion as to why he had no sponsorship and what the future would now be. For that answer, we called up Moore's manager Jeremy, who also happens to be his older brother.

It goes on to interview his older brother/manager about the sponsorship deals and what not,good stuff.

[quote name='twelvegage' post='1919666' date='Aug 28 2009, 12:53 PM'][quote name='hurricanewarning' post='1919035' date='Aug 27 2009, 10:52 PM']I dont really have a guess, I was playing with some random people the other day and that subject came while we were playing and they were all agreeing that he might want to come out of the closet some day. I don't know exactly what correlation there is between being or not being with being sponsorted. But just letting you guys know what the people I was paired with last weekend were commenting.[/quote]

[/quote]

I agree with you as I mentioned I dont understand the correlation between being or not being sponsored with that other fact. Thought you guys might want to know what other people are saying out there about this subject. Next time I'll just keep my mouth shut if I'm going to take the heat for a conversation I was not even a part of.