2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Perhaps I'm a Bit Crazy? From SGIs to Blades

I received my 2009 Callaway X-Forged irons today. I've always played SGI irons because that is what I was "supposed" to play, according to everything I've read and heard. However, I have always been dissatisfied with the size of SGI, and GI irons, and how they look at setup. I've hit blades at demo days and in golf shops and always liked the look and feel.

My misses are duck hooks and all that offset may have been contributing factor. I also went up a flex because in addition to duck hooking I also hit the ball very high. The irons are plus .75 inches and 2º upright.

I ordered the irons as "like new" from Callaway Pre-Owned and received an additional 20% off the already low price. "Like new" they definitely were. There is no way these clubs have ever been hit (the heads were shrink wrapped). I received my X-Forged wedges last week and they were pristine as well. I don't have a camera but I posted some pictures anyway as they look exactly like this.

The Callaway price was too good to pass up and I really liked the look and feel of the irons.

I'd like to have fun playing next season and not take things so seriously. The first step is to own equipment that appeals to my eye and feels good. :-)

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

great looking sticks and I'm sure they'll treat you well!

that being said, do you guys call those blades? I'd call those players cavities

the reduced forgiveness should really help you keep it on target, I know when i'm playing clubs that are too forgiving, I just start swinging harder and harder until I do start missing them!

You know what...I say what the hell...play what is pleasing to you! I'm much like you...I can't stand big, clunky irons with a bunch of offset and a thick topline. They just don't fit my eye. I'm willing to bet that you'll still hit the irons relatively well and inevitably, you'll gain a greater appreciation and enjoyment of the game with the clubs you truly want to use.

You'll be told what you can and cannot do in most things in life without a realistic option because of the gravity of those consequences. Golf is one of those things we do for the pure pursuit and enjoyment of something that can never be perfected. You only get to live life once, you should be able to just enjoy playing golf with the equipment you choose...without feeling like you're slotted into a certain category.

Enjoy!

[quote name='Skaffa77' post='2133244' date='Dec 19 2009, 12:55 AM']You know what...I say what the hell...play what is pleasing to you! I'm much like you...I can't stand big, clunky irons with a bunch of offset and a thick topline. They just don't fit my eye. I'm willing to bet that you'll still hit the irons relatively well and inevitably, you'll gain a greater appreciation and enjoyment of the game with the clubs you truly want to use.

You'll be told what you can and cannot do in most things in life without a realistic option because of the gravity of those consequences. Golf is one of those things we do for the pure pursuit and enjoyment of something that can never be perfected. You only get to live life once, you should be able to just enjoy playing golf with the equipment you choose...without feeling like you're slotted into a certain category.

Enjoy![/quote]

I agree with this 100%!!

Play what you want and don't let anyone tell you what you SHOULD play.

I was told since I was fighting a slice I should NOT get a 9015D. I didn't listen and that was the best decision I ever made. I haven't hit a slice for a long time now. You give me a closed face driver and it is slice city. No rhyme or reason to it but who cares it works!!

TM R1 w/ Fubuki Alpha Adams XTD ti 14.5 w/ red tie Adams Pnt 20* w/ Matrix Altus Nike Covert forged 4-Gw w/ Nippon SPB Betti BB54 Skull & Crossbones Vokey TVD M 54* & Scratch DW 58*

[quote name='Skaffa77' post='2133244' date='Dec 19 2009, 12:55 AM']You know what...I say what the hell...play what is pleasing to you! I'm much like you...I can't stand big, clunky irons with a bunch of offset and a thick topline. They just don't fit my eye. I'm willing to bet that you'll still hit the irons relatively well and inevitably, you'll gain a greater appreciation and enjoyment of the game with the clubs you truly want to use.

Enjoy![/quote]
Very well said. And that is what I intend to do from now on concerning golf. :-)

[quote name='Stinger82' post='2133253' date='Dec 19 2009, 01:04 AM'][quote name='Skaffa77' post='2133244' date='Dec 19 2009, 12:55 AM']You know what...I say what the hell...play what is pleasing to you! I'm much like you...I can't stand big, clunky irons with a bunch of offset and a thick topline. They just don't fit my eye. I'm willing to bet that you'll still hit the irons relatively well and inevitably, you'll gain a greater appreciation and enjoyment of the game with the clubs you truly want to use.

Enjoy![/quote]

I agree with this 100%!!

I was told since I was fighting a slice I should NOT get a 9015D. I didn't listen and that was the best decision I ever made. I haven't hit a slice for a long time now. You give me a closed face driver and it is slice city. No rhyme or reason to it but who cares it works!![/quote]
It's taken me long enough to wake up to that fact. :-)

[quote name='DefConOne' post='2133577' date='Dec 19 2009, 10:10 AM'][quote name='Stinger82' post='2133253' date='Dec 19 2009, 01:04 AM'][quote name='Skaffa77' post='2133244' date='Dec 19 2009, 12:55 AM']You know what...I say what the hell...play what is pleasing to you! I'm much like you...I can't stand big, clunky irons with a bunch of offset and a thick topline. They just don't fit my eye. I'm willing to bet that you'll still hit the irons relatively well and inevitably, you'll gain a greater appreciation and enjoyment of the game with the clubs you truly want to use.

Enjoy![/quote]

I agree with this 100%!!

I was told since I was fighting a slice I should NOT get a 9015D. I didn't listen and that was the best decision I ever made. I haven't hit a slice for a long time now. You give me a closed face driver and it is slice city. No rhyme or reason to it but who cares it works!![/quote]
It's taken me long enough to wake up to that fact. :-)

[/quote]

Same here but at some point we all stop caring. If I like something and I can afford it I'm getting it. I took a beating earlier this year from my playing buddies for a putter I bought. I couldn't putt with it but I really wanted to keep it just to show them I don't care what they like!

Honestly if I like something and it doesn't improve my scores I could really care less because I know I will never be playing for a living so I might as well play what I like and what I think looks good in my bag!!

Oh yea and I use a staff bag...and I really like it!

Good luck with those irons I hear good things about them

TM R1 w/ Fubuki Alpha Adams XTD ti 14.5 w/ red tie Adams Pnt 20* w/ Matrix Altus Nike Covert forged 4-Gw w/ Nippon SPB Betti BB54 Skull & Crossbones Vokey TVD M 54* & Scratch DW 58*

Congrats, on the nice purchase. You will enjoy them. The added benefit of these clubs is that
if you notice a ball flight or distance problem with any iron, you can have them dialed in for your
benefit. Having forged clubs allows you that, a better oppertunity to custom fit or tune in for your
liking. It really allows you to enhance your playing ability. The irons can be tuned to give you a nicer
more consistant ball flight. Have fun, and have a great 2010.

Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....

4 HC

[quote name='Stinger82' post='2133596' date='Dec 19 2009, 10:24 AM']Same here but at some point we all stop caring. If I like something and I can afford it I'm getting it. I took a beating earlier this year from my playing buddies for a putter I bought. I couldn't putt with it but I really wanted to keep it just to show them I don't care what they like!

Honestly if I like something and it doesn't improve my scores I could really care less because I know I will never be playing for a living so I might as well play what I like and what I think looks good in my bag!!

Oh yea and I use a staff bag...and I really like it!

Good luck with those irons I hear good things about them[/quote]
Sounds like a great philosophy...and you are probably having a lot more fun. :-)

[quote name='puttingmatt' post='2133700' date='Dec 19 2009, 11:39 AM']Congrats, on the nice purchase. You will enjoy them. The added benefit of these clubs is that
if you notice a ball flight or distance problem with any iron, you can have them dialed in for your
benefit. Having forged clubs allows you that, a better oppertunity to custom fit or tune in for your
liking. It really allows you to enhance your playing ability. The irons can be tuned to give you a nicer
more consistant ball flight. Have fun, and have a great 2010.[/quote]
I like the fact that I can tune the irons as you say, which can only help my game. And, thank you for your kind words...you too have a great 2010 season. :-)