2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

New trend in drivers?

steve81

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

maybe sizes will go down, but moi will go up. you might see 400cc clubs, but they will play like a 600cc (ala the hi-bore and sasquatch)

[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike covert tour 2.0 w/ diamana blueboard 83[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike sq 2 tour 15* w/ ust v2 95 tour[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]adams idea pro tour 18* w/ fujikura 904hb[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]adams idea pro tour 22* w/ fujikura 904hb[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike pro combo tour 4-pw[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]titliest vokey sm5 52*[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]titliest vokey sm5 58*[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]scotty cameron newport beach[/size][/font][/color]

Sorry, Steve81, but this same post pops up about every two months, and it always makes me laugh.

If you only realized how pretentious your question sounds (and the implicit assertion that real "players" play sub-400cc heads), you probably would rethink your premise.

So, if the real "players" like you were to go back to the smaller heads, guess that would leave only the 'hacks" like Tiger, Vijay, Ernie, Phil and well over half the players across all tours playing the 400cc+ drivers.

I played the 983K and 983E (which is perhaps even more of a "players" driver) and still have them. Let me assure you there are better drivers out there now for any level of player, despite what your ego might tell you.

If you're playing at that level, I would suggest maybe rethinking your iron setup. There are certainly more accurate irons (e.g., Titleist 680's) for "players" who have no trouble finding the sweet spot. Just a thought.

I still switch between my 983E and 983K...I'm too cheap to get the bigger, newer versions (for now). Still, I think how did I ever survive with the 975 D and 975 J of a few years ago.

But the USGA limitations are set. Clubhead volume and COR (the most recent design initiatives) are limited. What are manufacturers going to try to do to continue selling drivers? Is moveable weights really that appealing? Will new materials help if COR and volume are maxed out? What else can they do?

Similarly, what happens if the golf ball performance standards are rolled back, as suggested by several golf celebrities (perhaps lead by the man who made my town a golf town)?

<----------

Now that I got that out of my system, I'll respond to your post.

I don't think there's any way manufacturers will dip down below 400, because there's no need to, even for better players. Extra forgiveness doesn't hurt anyone, as long as it doesn't come at the expense of accuracy or distance.

The bigger problem that I think many better players have with the new drivers is that they are geared toward the average swing-speed player, who often has trouble getting the ballflight up. So many of them impart higher launch angles and spin than are desired by stronger players (although the 983K is a high-spin head).

I think that what we will see is more Tour versions geared toward the better player. They'll have deeper faces and higher centers of gravity, in order to help manage launch conditions better for high-speed players. For example the deep-faced Titleist 905M which is rumored to be released at some point.

The higher MOI's are going to help everyone, but will sacrifice the workability of smaller heads. But long, straight and accurate is all that is required 95% of the time. And when you absolutely have to hit a low stinger with a 30-yard draw or fade, can always just pull our your Sonartec SS-3 14-degree.

What about us "players" who dont like the big heads? Anyone think we'll see a trend of head sizes going back to the sub 400 cc size?

Stevie,

I don't spend a lot of time on this forum, but enough to know you switch clubs about twice a week. :) I think it was yesterday you had posted that you traded in your 983K for shop credit and were looking to go to the 905R (which, by the way, is a 455cc head.) :beee:

Being a "player" has nothing to do with head size. More and more, the term seems most suited for selling clubs and nothing more. The score on the card at the end of the round is all that matters.

And, NO, I don't see a return to sub-400cc designs.

If you only realized how pretentious your question sounds (and the implicit assertion that real "players" play sub-400cc heads), you probably would rethink your premise.

So, if the real "players" like you were to go back to the smaller heads, guess that would leave only the 'hacks" like Tiger, Vijay, Ernie, Phil and well over half the players across all tours playing the 400cc+ drivers.

Wow... Note to self, never refer to myself as a "player", never refer to myself as a "player", never refer to myself as a "player".

:)

Callaway RAZR Fit 9.5
Titleist 909F3 15.5
Nike VR-S Covert Tour #3
Mizuno MP-59
Miura Black Wedge Series 52,56,60
Bettinardi Kuchar Model 2

Wow... Note to self, never refer to myself as a "player", never refer to myself as a "player", never refer to myself as a "player".

just to clarify...

"player" = :)

playa = :beee:

Hey rustyputterguy,

Pretty funny. But think you missed my point. I wasn't pimping anyone for calling themself a "player". We're all "players" here. Everyone I know is a +2 and averages 320 off the tee (okay, I'm only 315, since I closeting my 983E).

If you read the initial post, it implies that "us players" don't play big-headed drivers. This is pretty ridiculous, given all the great tour players who use them (most not endorsed). And if that wasn't his intended meaning, then why word it that way?

I wasn't the only one who pimped steve81. Just the first (and okay, the most sarcastic). But I did come back later with a serious reply.

So please, call yourself a "player" all day long. But when you imply that having a small head makes you a "playa", you're probably gonna take some razzing.

We can only hope that the eventual trend will be to the high performance name brand driver at the $179.00 price point. Once they run out of ways to make them "better" that is.

However, as long as the average chop still thinks he can buy a game (through clubs that is), and has to have tomorrows driver today. The marketing machine will keep their timetable for new models at a higher price set to tomorrow.

DiscountDansGolfcom  Highlands Golf Club
DiscountDansGolf.com

Highlands Golf Club
Gearhart, Oregon
1-877-738-5248
[email protected]

By the way you guys are waaay too sensitive about the use of the english language. Or perhaps some should read what they post 4 or 5 different ways before submitting. Or, mabee we should do like the lurker and spend 45 minutes writing and previewing the post and then chicken out because you don't want to get flamed by oversensitive readers who will interpret something as a threat to their existence.

Just some thoughts to consider. It would be nice for once if someone could express an opinion about a small size driver size preference without getting knocked around.

DiscountDansGolfcom  Highlands Golf Club
DiscountDansGolf.com

Highlands Golf Club
Gearhart, Oregon
1-877-738-5248
[email protected]

i agree i play with steve and he honestly rocks his K better than anything ive ever seen him hit that is 400+...maybe the smaller head makes him more comfortable..i used to be this way but i got over it...steve use what you like u definatlely back up your reasoning for using the K.

Hit em straight and long boys.

Nolan

Hey rustyputterguy,

Pretty funny. But think you missed my point. I wasn't pimping anyone for calling themself a "player". We're all "players" here. Everyone I know is a +2 and averages 320 off the tee (okay, I'm only 315, since I closeting my 983E).

If you read the initial post, it implies that "us players" don't play big-headed drivers. This is pretty ridiculous, given all the great tour players who use them (most not endorsed). And if that wasn't his intended meaning, then why word it that way?

I wasn't the only one who pimped steve81. Just the first (and okay, the most sarcastic). But I did come back later with a serious reply.

So please, call yourself a "player" all day long. But when you imply that having a small head makes you a "playa", you're probably gonna take some razzing.

I would like to hereby formally apologize to Shibumi and all members of GolfWRX who took offense to my trying to lighten the thread of what at times was a bash-a-thon on Steve81, or as I like to refer to him "The guy who wishes he didn't use the word players, especially with quotation marks around it".

I apologize to Shibumi for quoting him, I should have added my comment without the quote, or better yet not added to the string at all.

I will revert to lurking unless, upon hours of review, I can post a comment that is concise, to the point and can not be mis-interpreted by anyone. I hope when I make this post, months from now, that I avoid a question or thought that will reflect poorly on myself, my family, friends or my ego.

As additional penance I will take a two-stroke penalty on the first hole of my next round and play that round without driver or putter (though this may improve my scoring).

Callaway RAZR Fit 9.5
Titleist 909F3 15.5
Nike VR-S Covert Tour #3
Mizuno MP-59
Miura Black Wedge Series 52,56,60
Bettinardi Kuchar Model 2

i think the mac tec nvg is a 435 cc head that can work the ball like a 330cc head. The only difference is that it goes much much further and has a much larger sweetspot. I drove it too far today. a hole 384 dogleg, i hit a low cut 30 yards away and outdrove my previous best by 50 yards. I also swing easy and it goes further with more control and a penetrating ball flight eventhough it is 2* higher than most drivers i play.

Like someone mentioned before--the Hibore.

How exactly does USGA measure the head size? If it's by the volume, I see the trend that manufactures will follow the Hibore design and make the head "curved-in" so that the driver play like one that is bigger than 460cc, but still measured under the USGA limit. (If you don't get the picture, imagine your current driver with a big dent on the top. The volume will be less, right?)

Anyhow, from what I see, this Hibore design is not much different from using composite crown. The objective is the same--move the weight away from the crown and try to position the COG so that it launches the ball high with less spin.

Now, if USGA does not catch up with this Hibore design and then changes the rules, it's possible that you will see a Hibore-design driver with composite crown. You hear it from here first!

Rustyputterguy, I am humbled my your self-flagellation. How can I not accept such a sincere apology?

And I am even more humbled by steve81, who has become my new hero for having the character to stay above it all. I now realize the error of my ways for responding sarcastically to an innocent question. I'll never do so again (probably).

As for my penance, I've broken the shafts of both my J33R and 905R. I will only play my 983E 7.5* for the next 40 days, or until pardoned by steve81.