2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Anyone use a Golf ball sweet spot finder

Shaank0

Technasonic CheckGo Golf Ball Spinner Sweet Spot Finder?
Anyone use one of these or are they a gimmick?

i think if it wasn't a gimmick it could be beneficial for putting.

Just wondering your guy's thoughts before i coughed up 30 dollars for one on ebay.

the one i have seen is the

Technasonic CheckGo Golf Ball Spinner Sweet Spot Finder
  • Haha 1

If you want to balance your balls, please use the epsom salt method, since it's easier that way to get rid of really crooked balls - and cheaper (to find out how to do it, check out Pelz' Putting bible or Maltby's videos on youtube).

So yes, save your money, and from my own experience most premium balls are very well balanced anyway.

On an final note, it may be that you on a perfectly flat surface with a perfectly struck ball are able to tell a difference. But in my experience, apart from being quite fun to do when you're watching golf from hawaii or the emirates with -5* celcious outside your door, balancing your balls does not matter a whole lot once you pound the ball with a 110mph clubhead and then rip half the urethane off approaching the green...

I do use one. I don't actually use the line on putting much (I wind up questioning my read too much - though I shouldn't!). More for the tee shot. From a purely scientific standpoint, it appears to make a little sense. How much it actually effects ballflight - who knows. But it does give me a good putting line if I need one!

there are so many other factors that influence your putts to a (much) greater degree that this should be toward the bottom of the priority list. Maltby states in his video that most premium balls are very well balanced out of the box anyway (another person already stated that in this thread)

Save your money. If you really want to balance your golf balls for peace of mind use the salt method.

J

• 3 months later...

I agree with one caveat, which is off the tee.

I use the epsom salt method and put a dot on the lightest point of the ball, I use a blue dot.

At the tee I put the blue dot up which, all things being equal (they never are, I know...) means my side spin based on ball variation is going to be minimized.

Now, to be honest, the guys in my foursome gave me no end of grief about it. So I made the following wager with them: If this does NOT work then there should be a 1 in 392 chance that my infamous blue dot will be pointed up when the ball comes to rest in the fairway. I'll give you a dime every time it's not up; you give me a dollar every time the blue dot is, in fact, face up when the ball comes to rest.

Guess what? I spent the next three rounds collecting money, to the tune of about 15 bucks total. Yes, I use a good quality, modern ball.

Your choice, but my 'scientific/Vegas' methodology says it does make some difference. And if nothing else it gives me confidence, so what's the harm in buying two bucks worth of epsom salts? lol

Enjoy.

[quote name='Bobbers' date='04 May 2010 - 06:13 AM' timestamp='1272975192' post='2419820']
I agree with one caveat, which is off the tee.

I use the epsom salt method and put a dot on the lightest point of the ball, I use a blue dot.

At the tee I put the blue dot up which, all things being equal (they never are, I know...) means my side spin based on ball variation is going to be minimized.

Now, to be honest, the guys in my foursome gave me no end of grief about it. So I made the following wager with them: If this does NOT work then there should be a 1 in 392 chance that my infamous blue dot will be pointed up when the ball comes to rest in the fairway. I'll give you a dime every time it's not up; you give me a dollar every time the blue dot is, in fact, face up when the ball comes to rest.

Guess what? I spent the next three rounds collecting money, to the tune of about 15 bucks total. Yes, I use a good quality, modern ball.

Your choice, but my 'scientific/Vegas' methodology says it does make some difference. And if nothing else it gives me confidence, so what's the harm in buying two bucks worth of epsom salts? lol

Enjoy.
[/quote]

Very interesting test you did and the results surprise me a bit. I can see how having the same side facing up would help if you were rolling dice at Vegas, but not as sure for the benefit you would gain in golf. From what I understand, the reason for marking the "equator" of a ball was to line up the equator to the direction you want to hit and it would minimize side spin. By marking the top of the ball, you've identified the "north pole" and by placing it on top during a drive you've aligned the equator along the "x-axis" rather than the "y-axis". With that setup, I'm not sure there is any real benefit since it might induce more sidespin? Your blue dot should be lined up pointing at you or pointing away from you.

Seems like a nice party trick and I don't mind doing it, but need some explanation why it would help. From what I've read, it shouldn't.

You are finding an equator in a way, but you should be lining that up down the target line. As bobbers pointed out, you are potentially finding a heavy side of the ball with the epsom salt method. You want that tumbling end over end down your line, not pulling on one side. The blue dot dot pointing up on the tee is the way to go (heavy side down). I try it every once in a while, I'm not sure putts are spinning enough to be affected. Tee shots maybe.

Have used the check-go unit. Seems to do the job. I am not sure though if resting the ball in the cradle (gravity), and spinning and marking the side, is the best way. Seems like the epsom/ float trick is better. Maybe this is the area we need some axis and pole theory.

I also would be more concerned about hitting tee shots on the same spot every time, for those who use a line aimed at target. I just have a feeling that the solid core ball must be getting slightly deformed- ovalized- after many hits. Now that is something that I could see influencing ball flight.

I am glad that I have freed my brain from these distractions on the course though. Just put it on the zero friction tee and hit it.biggrin.gif

My wife gave me one for Christmas a couple of years ago. I buy AA recycled balls for my practice range. Some are so bad that they won't stay on the spindle. Those get put in the "hit-away" bag. I haven't found that it makes any difference on new balls, but I do keep ones that turn out to be perfectly balanced (will spin true any kind of way you put it on-maybe one in 3 dozen) for money rounds.

lol, what bluemonster said...lol

Seriously, and if I'm misremembering somebody please point it out, but putting the lightest point up (my blue dot mark) and the heaviest side down, which is what I swear Pelz suggested, it minimizes potential side spin off the tee.

As I said, I find the ball comes to rest with my mark in the up position, reaffirming that the inertia of the ball is causing the heavy side to end up on the bottom as it comes to rest.

To the post about repeated blows causing deformation, well, I don't normally have any one ball in play that long, nor do I have the world's mightiest swing speed...

• 7 months later...

I bought a spinner several weeks ago just to break the wintertime boredom. Its true that this thing will find the same axil each time regardless of how you place the ball in it. After using it on probably 100 different balls of many different brands what I found most interesting is, that on balls with a noticable seam the seam made no difference. One would think that the seam would either be heavier or lighter than the rest of the ball, however it is not. Out of all the balls tested I have only found one that was perfectly balanced and would have a differen axis each time I spun it. It was [u]a used[/u] Titleist.
I do ocasionally get a ball that must really be out of balance as it will have trouble during the spin-up and want to leave the spinner cup.
On a perfectly level table top I could see the benifit in putting for a balanced ball. However, on a Green I doubt it makes a bunch of difference... especially Greens played by us non-touring Pro's.
Its been fun to play with it, but I can see that using these marked balls would drive me crazy on the course, by always trying to have them properly aligned or my making me get my mind off of the things it should be on during a round.

i dont have a perect putting stroke but i use the epsom salt method and so far have found the ball will track its initial line a lot more often when i mark the balance point then when i just place a ball and put it, i also noticed the ball will travel faster and farther with what feels like the same stroke to me. i still loose to many balls to pay for a premium ball but the epsom salt method seems to help with the cheap balls im using.

G25 10.5 kiyoshi purple 75
G25 3w kiyoshi purple 85
G25 5w kiyoshi purple 85
S55 3-p kbs tour
52/58 anser kbs tour
Golo 7 cb

I have one right now, it's pretty good, the only flaw is the hole in which you mark through is too small so you have to use theTechnasonic pens, and the hole is at an downward angle to the ball, so you have to angle the pen up a little bit to mark the middle of the ball, but overall, it's still pretty good, if you take those tips everytime you mark it

[quote name='leoh923' timestamp='1272971736' post='2419759']
This may have been more useful back in the days of wound balls, but with todays technology, it is pretty much just a gimmick.
[/quote]
Now there is an idea... I have some old wround balata balls out in the garage... I'm gona go spin those and see what happens!

[quote name='Shaank0' timestamp='1264406469' post='2202514']
Anyone use one of these or are they a gimmick?

i think if it wasn't a gimmick it could be beneficial for putting.

Just wondering your guy's thoughts before i coughed up 30 dollars for one on ebay.

the one i have seen is the

[b][size="2"]Technasonic CheckGo Golf Ball Spinner Sweet Spot Finder[/size][/b]

[/quote]

When I was very OCD I got one and used it. Didn't think it made that much difference, so I'd echo what others have said, "keep your money".

[quote name='TJCDAS' timestamp='1293467350' post='2860771']
Use salt water and spin and mark with sharpie. Better than spending $30.
[/quote]
Actually they are much less than $30. Also the salt water technique and its mess only identifies any heavyspot on a ball, nor does it have marking guides like the Ball Spinner.

[quote name='blhoff' timestamp='1293468777' post='2860815']
I agree that modern ball manufacturing technology has made this gadget outdated. I still use the ball alignment marker to aim my tee shots.
[/quote]
Actually, I disagree. Modern Technology has improved golf ball quality, however the alignment markings on todays balls are placed in random fashion and I have yet to have a factory alignment mark align with the true pure weight axis on a ball.
Also, I have now spun more than 100 new balls of various makes and models. I have noticed that 2 manufactures appear to have less 'balance quality' than others. With Callaway appearing to be the best.
Also to date I have only found 2 balls out of over 120 that were truely balanced.

• 5 years later...

I've been using the check go pro for about 2 weeks now, and I would highly recommend it. I got it about a year ago and I hated having to use the line while putting so I stopped using it. In the past I'd always used the blank area of the ball so I wouldn't have any influencers once I got over the ball . Now, I'm able to get as close as possible to my line when placing the ball and not worrying over the putt if the line is perfect. I would never take the time to move it 2mm to the right, I simply just putt like I normally would, even if sometimes I change my line a bit once I'm over the putt. I have seen an improvement for sure in my putting. One difference though, I feel like the ball stays on it's path more, leading me to need to take a small bit off of the break. The first round or round and a half I was missing everything high side. Maybe it's the fact that I'm using a line in general, but it's working for me. Also, my drives are noticeably better; straighter and further.

Side note: My putting has always been pretty good, my drives not so much. Not sure if that helps say anything about my observations or not.

• 4 months later...

This may have been more useful back in the days of wound balls, but with todays technology, it is pretty much just a gimmick.

Wound balls are probably less prone to being unbalanced compared to modern balls. The winding process has to work out evenly, otherwise the ball would not be round and it would be obvious it is not balanced. Whereas modern golf balls have multiple layers of different density/weight that are cast in a mold, they will always be round because of the casting, but the cores may not be exactly in the centre and because of the different densities they can be unbalanced and you would not know. I stopped using a range of different brands because their balls are susceptible to this. I always line the ball up the same way and with some the ball will tend to go one way or another. It's a quality control thing. Titleist and Bridgestone seem to be the best, Bridgestones don't really last though, scratch up really easily.