2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Shipping your golf bag (travel)

CheckJV

What service have you used?
Hello WRXers,

I am planning a trip (USA East Coast to USA West Coast) late this year and I am looking at options to ship my golf bag instead of bringing it with me on the plane (such a hassle now). I have a SKB hard case and want to use it with whatever shipper I choose. I am in no hurry, could ship early and use a round trip ground shipping option. Last time I loaded my case it was around 44 pounds. I know that there are services that specialize in shipping golf bags and other options including UPS, DHL, and FedEx Ground.

So, please tell me what service or shipper you have used and about your experience. Thanks for helping me select a shipper!

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is what I would do because I have spent a lot of time and money getting my bag just right: Ship all irons UPS, and ship the woods UPS to the hotel. Buy a light weight walking bag and pack it. This way you can insure your clubs. Or you can just pack up your bag real good and send them via grayhound or DHL

FedEx Ground.

Also, If your sending to a residence you can have FX Ground hold the package until the date you arrive and deliver once your there.

Golf courses around my area receive shipped clubs all the time and open, stage and clean before your tee time. just an option. But definitely FedEx, ease, tracking, and consistency.

Working for FedEx i can tell you two things:

FedEx as a company has the best policies and procedures to take care of the customer. Which means they are reliable for international shipments also.

But international shipments, once received by customs, is in the hands of that country (can cause delays). Make sure that the FedEx store checks the international guide to make sure that there is no additional duties or taxes that could cause the package to be held. Also, make sure and declare the customs value at, or slightly higher, than the value of the clubs to avoid any issues.

Ship with confidence.

What about for international travel?

I would bet it's cheaper to pay the airline baggage fee, than it would be to ship the clubs back and forth to Mexico.

I've shipped clubs via Fedex before. The only tip I would add would to NOT use a Postnet, or Mailbox etc. service. They add ridiculous fees. Either take them directly to the Fedex Depot, or, if you have an accurate weight, arrange for a Fedex pickup.

I prefer the clubs flying with me. I'll pay the $40-$50, which is sometimes cheaper than the shipping option. I try to book most of my flights on Southwest if possible. No bag fees at all.

Ever notice the "arrow" between the E and the X in Fedex? I never did until my kid pointed it out. Now, it's all I see...

fedex0307.gif

X________________________________ Sign Here

Other than FedEx, has anyone used the sports and luggage shipping companies? I believe they come right to your door to pick up your clubs, pack, wrap, and ship (using FedEx or another carrier).

What are the advantages/disadvantages of using them? If FedEx were so great, how would these other companies stay in business, there must be a value-add somewhere.

[quote name='InTheHole' date='27 January 2010 - 10:28 AM' timestamp='1264606081' post='2207289']
If FedEx were so great, how would these other companies stay in business, there must be a value-add somewhere.
[/quote]

I think the value added would be the one call does it all approach. They simply package their fees into the shipping costs.

I beg to differ when it comes to "value added" and shipping. I've traveled around the world a few times. What keeps smaller shipping companies going is people looking for "deals" or something special like pickup and delivery, thinking they will get the best service for less.

Eight times out of ten people get what they pay for. If you want your clubs to get to the proper destination by a certain time deliver them properly packaged to the shipper and pay the price to and from. FedEx or UPS... Maybe that's why I have two sets of the same clubs; JIC.

• TSR2 9.25° Tensei 1k Pro Red 61S
  • TSR2 15° Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17° 2i Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW MMT 105S 113-SW.
  • SM10 F52.12, T58.4, DG200 127S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

If you don't mind me asking, has anyone traveled recently WITH your clubs and how much did it run you? I'm in the same boat as CheckJV, will be be traveling from East to West coast at the end of June and I'm starting to look at prices and options to get my clubs out there.

My issue is I will probably be playing golf up until the time that I leave, so my options are limited if not set it stone. So any advice or prices you guys have would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

If you've setup your schedule to be limiting, its going to limit what services you can use.  Without going into what I spend and tip, it's more then what it costs if I take them on the plane with me, which I often do.  Using a separate shipping service takes time prior to travel to insure the service has the clubs, and at the end of travel to insure they are back in their hands for shipping home or to my next destination.

• TSR2 9.25° Tensei 1k Pro Red 61S
  • TSR2 15° Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17° 2i Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW MMT 105S 113-SW.
  • SM10 F52.12, T58.4, DG200 127S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

[quote name='gmck22' date='28 January 2010 - 10:06 AM' timestamp='1264691174' post='2209592']
If you don't mind me asking, has anyone traveled recently WITH your clubs and how much did it run you? I'm in the same boat as CheckJV, will be be traveling from East to West coast at the end of June and I'm starting to look at prices and options to get my clubs out there.

[/quote]

It really depends on which airline you are flying.

Here's a chart for some of them: [url="http://www.airfarewatchdog.com/blog/3801089/airline-baggage-fees-chart-updated/"]Baggage Fees Chart[/url]. If your airline is not listed, then check your carriers website.

As long as the weight is within their limits (usually 50lbs) you won't experience any surcharges. As I stated before, I prefer to fly with my clubs anyway. The airline baggage charges are usually less than the shipping charges I've paid.

Have a safe trip! Where are ya headed?

I've seen this too and it makes me cringe. The thought of a hard case is definitely appealing, but they're a pain in the neck in rental cars.

There's also tracking them down in the airport if you go with the airlines- golf bags are usually not a good fit for baggage carousels and as such wind up in some other area of the airport for oversized luggage. That can take awhile, and is a huge variable when traveling. Plus, to get from the baggage area to the rental car area on one of those courtesy busses with all your luggage AND a golf bag... Shipping them looks more and more appealing.

Not sure why I'm reading so many issues with travelling with clubs.
I travel at least 4x/year with my clubs and have yet to pay an extra bag fee or have any issues with damage.
Granted I have a great travel bag (use a cut down hockey stick for shaft protection...also helps that my r9 can be taken apart) and pack my bag well, but as I said Mexico/all over Canada and the US/China/etc....never a problem.

Perhaps some handlers can be rough, but from my experience they have been great with my golf bags.
I've had my Mizuno travel bag for 5 years now and it is just barely showing signs of wear...

Callaway GBB Epic 9* w/ Ahina 70x
Taylormade SIM Ti 15* w/ Ahina 80x

Srixon Z U85 18* Driving Iron w/ Ahina 80x
Callaway XHot Pro Hybrid w/ Ahina 80x
Mizuno MP60 3-PW w/ DG X100
Odyssey Black Series i #2
Mizuno MP-T4 52*, 60*, Vokey 64*

I just moved to Central Europe (Hungary) with my golf bag, and I had a great experience with my flight. I bought a travel cover and the Club glove stiffarm from golfsmith.com (using the BBAC710 shipping code). I made sure to bubble wrap the irons, wedges, and putter so that they wouldnt move around individually. You can take it as a checked bag on an airplane, but if you ship it with fedex, I would imagine its the same deal. Just tell them the dimensions, schedule a pick-up, then give it to the fedex carrier.

Hbear, I'm looking at alternatives for two reasons...airline bag fees and ease of transport. The bag fees are out of control now assuming you are taking one or more checked bags plus the golf bag. Also it is a pain getting my SKB hard case into a rental car. I've never had any club broken with that SKB case! Just played last month with a guy whose driver was snapped at the hosel by the baggage handers at the airport, ugggg!

Thanks for all the great posts on this thread. I'm going to check out FedEx ground. I have an account already.

For what it's worth, I'm trying to get my clubs to Hawaii next month, and Fedex quotes $193 one-way from Chicago. I might be able to buy them their own ticket cheaper than that. And that's with a declared value of $0.

Golfbagshipping.com wants $228 roundtrip for 1 bag.

Obviously, these prices make airline baggage fees look like the deal of the century, so that's the way I'm going, unless someone posts a better alternative ;) As others have noted, last time I flew, I only had to pay standard baggage on United ( $20, I think ). My loaded Ping Hoofer with about 20 clubs ( a few of my wife's ) came in at 49.7 pounds in a Samsonite soft bag.

[quote name='bcstoner' date='28 January 2010 - 01:59 PM' timestamp='1264705154' post='2210089']
What I do when I travel with my golf clubs is with United Airlines they let you upgrade to first class for 100 dollars. All checked luggage is free and you're gettin hammered on the flight with unlimited beer. And if you want to make sure your luggage gets treated well and not lost, travel with a gun in the hardcase. TSA will put extra locks on it and the bag will get special attention. Walla!

[/quote]

I gotta admit, that's probably the most unique and original solution...

Hatetoputt,

Tagging along with the wife who is heading out to San Diego for business at the end of June. I've got some free time that time of year. I've been out west (Anaheim) once in my life (for about 36 hours), so I'm looking to experience as much as I can in about a 5 day period. My goal is to play as much quality golf as possible while there, though I will be a single for the most part...if anyone's out that way at the end of June and want to play just let me know, I'd love to get to know some WRX-er's.

• 3 years later...

Sorry to revise an old topic, but I read through all the posts and couldn't find the info I was looking for.

I'm planning on shipping my clubs FedEx for a trip I'm taking later this year. It's my first time shipping, and I went to the FedEx place the other day to get pricing and ask questions. One of the questions the lady asked me was "do you want to declare more than $100 value on the clubs?". I said "yes, of course, there's probably around $2500 in there".

So she runs the numbers and says "it'll cost you about $100 each way if you declare $2500 of value". So for giggles I asked "how much without declaring?" and she said "about $78". This of course prompted me to ask "if you were to lose or damage the clubs, as long as I declared the $2500 value on them I'd be reimbursed, right?". She said "yes, if you have all the original store receipts".

Seeing as the original store receipts are either long gone, or never existed for some of the clubs (obtained through tournaments, etc), is there any way I can ship my clubs through FedEx, and actually cover my arse in the process? I guess the question is, what am I paying the extra $22 each way for if they're not going to pay me squat should the worst happen?

I am curious if anyone here has experience or insight on this.

Titleist ProV1x
Titleist 915 D2

Callaway Maverik 3W
TaylorMade RocketBallz Stage 2 3H

Callaway Apex '14 3-iron
Callaway Apex Black '22 irons 5-AW
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
Callaway Jaws (60, 54)

[quote name='Roody' timestamp='1363013425' post='6589067']
Sorry to revise an old topic, but I read through all the posts and couldn't find the info I was looking for.

I'm planning on shipping my clubs FedEx for a trip I'm taking later this year. It's my first time shipping, and I went to the FedEx place the other day to get pricing and ask questions. One of the questions the lady asked me was "do you want to declare more than $100 value on the clubs?". I said "yes, of course, there's probably around $2500 in there".

So she runs the numbers and says "it'll cost you about $100 each way if you declare $2500 of value". So for giggles I asked "how much without declaring?" and she said "about $78". This of course prompted me to ask "if you were to lose or damage the clubs, as long as I declared the $2500 value on them I'd be reimbursed, right?". She said "yes, if you have all the original store receipts".

Seeing as the original store receipts are either long gone, or never existed for some of the clubs (obtained through tournaments, etc), is there any way I can ship my clubs through FedEx, and actually cover my arse in the process? I guess the question is, what am I paying the extra $22 each way for if they're not going to pay me squat should the worst happen?

I am curious if anyone here has experience or insight on this.
[/quote]

If you don't declare the value at UPS, the default reimbursement is just $100. Not usually a good thing for golf clubs. If you use their pack-and-ship feature, it's usually a no-questions-asked guarantee so they're responsible for the full declared value. Of course the shipping price will be a little higher to have them "pack and ship." If you show up with a hardside case, the pack and ship will likely just be a sticky label and nothing else, but with the guarantee of "pack and ship" value. That's at least how it was when I looked into UPS last fall. Might have to verify with them now.

The receipts issue can be dicey with shippers because a lot of items are given as gifts. I got a full 14-club set of TaylorMade TiBubble2 clubs purchased at full retail. I don't know if I'd have even bother to try to ship them if someone said "we'll determine the value."

Since then, I've actually found it just as easy to rent clubs when I travel now if it's for casual play. The cost is a push and I use the opportunity to try out a set on my wishlist or replacement if cheap enough list.

[quote name='WishICouldPlayMoreOften' timestamp='1363118972' post='6598927']
If you use their pack-and-ship feature, it's usually a no-questions-asked guarantee so they're responsible for the full declared value. Of course the shipping price will be a little higher to have them "pack and ship." If you show up with a hardside case, the pack and ship will likely just be a sticky label and nothing else, but with the guarantee of "pack and ship" value. That's at least how it was when I looked into UPS last fall. Might have to verify with them now.
[/quote]
That's what I would think, that they should provide you with some sense of security should they lose your bag. Otherwise I'm just as well off taking my chances with the airline losing them.

Titleist ProV1x
Titleist 915 D2

Callaway Maverik 3W
TaylorMade RocketBallz Stage 2 3H

Callaway Apex '14 3-iron
Callaway Apex Black '22 irons 5-AW
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
Callaway Jaws (60, 54)

• 2 weeks later...