2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

WTH, back to Ping irons?

br61

I must be nuts but actually love those Pings
Geez, I think I'm going nuts nowdays. Much of my golfing life and successes has been spent with Ping irons in my bag so today my home course had their Ping demo days. I swore that I wasn't going to hit some but those S59 and I5 beckoned my name so I started hitting few of them on the range before my round. Ping rep meandered over and offered his help to see if I could find anything that I like.

So I spend about 20-30 minutes with him, hitting several Ping irons, best irons that I was hitting were S59 w/DGX, S59 1/2" long w/stiff shaft and I5's, 1/2" long with standard stiff shaft. He recommended that I get S59 1/2" long with DGX shaft but also said that if I wanted a higher ballflight which I wanted to achieve with my mid-long irons due to type of courses that I play on around here, to go with I5's. So played 9 holes with my club pro and was frustrated with my iron play so I said WTH, came over to the range and ordered I5 3-W, red code, 1/2" long with DGX shafts. Should get it next Tuesday or Wednesday.

Some of my favorite Pings in the past were Eye2 becu red w/DGX in late 1980's, Eye2+ becu w/ZZ65 and original I3 blades around 2000-01. I had done very well in many individual tournaments with all of those Pings so I figure I might as well try them again. Hopefully, it'll pull myself out of my recent golfing funk.

I guess you can say that I just had my Ping itch scratched. But I did not care for those G5 drivers, fw and hybrids. Did not like them as well as my current setup.

Anyone get an itch for Pings? I never thought I might think about going back to the Pings with so many good nice sets on the market.

63 yr old's Bag of Hacking Utensils

TM Qi10 9*, GD XC-6 stiff

Tour Exotics EXS 16.5 FW & 20 Hybrid

Qi10 Rescue 25* & 28* UST V2

TM P770 5-PW, DG120 S300

TM MG4 52* & 58* DG 120 S300

Odyssey Ai-One #7 Broomstick 46"

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Question, how tall are you and what is your normal ball flight (Draw or Fade)? That is if you don't mind me asking.

5'10" tall, I like to think I have a straight ballflight with irons but like to play for little left to right shots with driver. I mean I never think about working my shots with irons, just pick out a target and hit to it. If my shots move 1-5 yards either way from my target line with my irons, I'm usually happy with it.

TM P770 5-PW, DG120 S300

I loved the ISI-s irons I played in the late 90's, still my favorite iron-head aesthetically and I loved the solid/firm feel of those sticks. I just haven't felt the same draw to any of their iron offerings since the ISI. I recently called Ping on a whim to see if they could build me a set of blue dot ISI's 3-PW, S1 & S3. The answer was yes (darn them), they still have blue dot ISI's available, so now I want another ISI set even though I absolutely love my current irons. If I can afford to do it this year I know I'll order a custom ISI set even if they can't kick my MX-23's out of the bag because the ISI's are my Ping "itch." Out of all the sets I've played and replaced the ISI's are the only ones I've truly regretted selling off.

Rapture V1 10.5 BB
Rapture V1 14
G15 2,4,5,6 HY Recoil 95
G15 7-LW CFS
Karsten TR B60

Question, how tall are you and what is your normal ball flight (Draw or Fade)? That is if you don't mind me asking.

5'10" tall, I like to think I have a straight ballflight with irons but like to play for little left to right shots with driver. I mean I never think about working my shots with irons, just pick out a target and hit to it. If my shots move 1-5 yards either way from my target line with my irons, I'm usually happy with it.

Cool. Just wondering since you said something about 1/2" over and red dots. When I went through my first PING fitting at a local shop, they suggested me to go with GREEN dots and 1/2" UNDER :)

Currently I play Red dots and standard length. I'm about 5'7" and have a moderately straight to slight draw on my ball flight, maybe 10 yards. I could probably go flatter on the lie but I am happy with what I have right now since I usually play the draw.

I've also heard of folks getting lets say red dots for 3 thru 6 and getting orange for 7 thru wedge. That's the great thing about PING. You can mix and match and still have the same serial number.

Cool. Just wondering since you said something about 1/2" over and red dots. When I went through my first PING fitting at a local shop, they suggested me to go with GREEN dots and 1/2" UNDER :crazy:

Currently I play Red dots and standard length. I'm about 5'7" and have a moderately straight to slight draw on my ball flight, maybe 10 yards. I could probably go flatter on the lie but I am happy with what I have right now since I usually play the draw.

I've also heard of folks getting lets say red dots for 3 thru 6 and getting orange for 7 thru wedge. That's the great thing about PING. You can mix and match and still have the same serial number.

Green dots? :) When Ping rep measured me and had me hit few balls off the board. 1st recommendation was red at standard length. But I've always felt more comfortable with slightly longer clubs so I do not have to feel that I have to reach for the ball at impact. I mentioned that my wedges are 1/2" longer than standard and felt very comfortable with it's length. Hit couple of Pings that are 1/2" longer, felt good. He told me I would be good with a set of red dots and whichever the length I want, standard up to 1/2" long. I would rather err on the long than on the short side. I guess I'll find out next week what I think of this set.

He did say that I could mix my set w/S59 & I5's but I wasn't sure if I could get used to the different amount of offset between S59 & I5's.

TM P770 5-PW, DG120 S300

I had a Ping itch that I'm gonna scratch tomorrow. I have a set of i3 o-size that I've had for years. Played very well with them, but since trying other sets with far less offset, they just look a little funny to my eye now at address. I demo'd the i5's at my local course a few weeks back. Knew I wanted them right then and there. Great feel (improved over the i3's) and the offset, while still there, is less and looks better to me. I sold off a bunch of gear, and I'm putting my order in with the pro tomorrow.

i5 4-GW, Green Dot, ZZ 65 shafts with Cushin inserts, D3 Swingweight, 703 Cord Grips (white/std. size)

Tour Black Nickel Wedges in 54º and 58-08, ZZ 65 with Cushin inserts, D5 SW, 703 cords

I'm taking the day off tomorrow to play a round on my B-Day and order the new sticks! Should be a great day! Very excited! :)

Geez, I think I'm going nuts nowdays. Much of my golfing life and successes has been spent with Ping irons in my bag so today my home course had their Ping demo days. I swore that I wasn't going to hit some but those S59 and I5 beckoned my name so I started hitting few of them on the range before my round. Ping rep meandered over and offered his help to see if I could find anything that I like.

So I spend about 20-30 minutes with him, hitting several Ping irons, best irons that I was hitting were S59 w/DGX, S59 1/2" long w/stiff shaft and I5's, 1/2" long with standard stiff shaft. He recommended that I get S59 1/2" long with DGX shaft but also said that if I wanted a higher ballflight which I wanted to achieve with my mid-long irons due to type of courses that I play on around here, to go with I5's. So played 9 holes with my club pro and was frustrated with my iron play so I said WTH, came over to the range and ordered I5 3-W, red code, 1/2" long with DGX shafts. Should get it next Tuesday or Wednesday.

Some of my favorite Pings in the past were Eye2 becu red w/DGX in late 1980's, Eye2+ becu w/ZZ65 and original I3 blades around 2000-01. I had done very well in many individual tournaments with all of those Pings so I figure I might as well try them again. Hopefully, it'll pull myself out of my recent golfing funk.

I guess you can say that I just had my Ping itch scratched. But I did not care for those G5 drivers, fw and hybrids. Did not like them as well as my current setup.

Anyone get an itch for Pings? I never thought I might think about going back to the Pings with so many good nice sets on the market.

Rest assured yo did a good thing, and well thought out. Go with what makes you comfortable, and it sounds like your a Pingman through and through. Good luck with them!

Switched to Ping irons about 3 years - I3+ Blades, G2, I5. Prior to that would not go near Ping - bad experience with an SI3 Driver. Now I cannot think of another OEM's irons I would rather play.

fwiw.... 5'11" standard length irons, 3-5 irons black dot, 6-LW red dot. Static Fit = black dot, Dynamic Fit = Red dot

Any Idea what color code someone around 5'5" with a long torso and short legs would be? I'm guessing orange, but maybe even a brown (assuming I actually know the color codes :) ) :crazy:

littlepoison...

Guessing you probably are a orange dot.

Best thing to do is go to Ping Website - www.pinggolf.com - and do a static fitting online of yourself. The results will at least give you an idea of what you need for lie and shaft flex. Keep in mind, a person's static fitting can be quite different from their dynamic fitting.

Ping uses a different method of measuring club lengths and lie angles from other OEM's so your results off the online static fitting may not be very transferrable to other OEM clubs.

Thank you, Lee, I'll play with the static fitting system on Ping's website ;)