2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Hitting within 20 yards of group in front of you

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, it is inappropriate. I actually had this happen this past weekend.

We were the first group off in the morning (walking 18). The group behind us was in carts and the course does have quite a bit of elevation changes and some distance between certain holes which does provide an advantage for those who ride.

Anyway, our group noticed they were catching up so we picked up the pace as much as possible. On the 6th hole, we were on the green putting out and they were approaching their tee shots. One of them hit their shot out of the right rough (approx 170-180 yards out) and flew it over the front side of the green past the hole (while we were still on the green).

I overlooked that one, but on the next hole, we had all hit our approach shots to the green and were walking to the green. I looked back to see one of my playing partners who was just a bit behind us on the left side of the fairway and a tee shot land about 6 feet to his left and roll past him. That one pissed me off. I can accept the initial mistake, but a second time on the next hole...no way? I looked back and yelled back at the tee box, "HEY, WTF!!!"

The sad part is that we were going to let them pass through on one of the next holes, but after that last shot, we decided not to do them any favors. Ironically, they backed off after that hole. I have to assume they got the message that a 9 iron would be flying their way if they did it again.

The STUPIDITY of some people never ceases to amaze me. :rolleyes:

In 1990, I had the misfortune of actually witnessing a death on the course. I'll save you the total description of the event, but a player was hit in the eye by a tee shot that was yanked hard to the left and into another fairway. The ball [i]completely[/i] embedded in his eye socket. He passed away the next day.

Needless to say ... if ANYONE sends a ball into my vicinity I immediately get into the cart and have a word with them.

I haven't met anyone yet that wants to proceed with the conversation after I give them my thoughts on their actions.

Nike Vr Pro LE 8.5 degree
TEE CB Pro LE 13 degree
TEE XCGV 16.5 degree
Adams A4 Forged DG X100
Vokey Custom 54 & 58
Cameron CLN 1997 Custom Shop

so what do you do if you drive 2 greens you never drove before with no huge winds that on the score card read 331 and 349 and are straight away holes. that happened to me once the first one the group i mistakenly hit into was like alright no big deal but on the 2nd one 6 holes later on a hole with a big hump in the middle so like the tee and green were at the same elevation but you couldn't see the green without driving 200 yards up the fairway. we were about a full hole behind them so i knew they were on the green or the next hole but they were a 3some and there were 4 balls on the green and i know for a fact neither of my drives carried anywhere near them but they deffinetly pissed me off by taking my ball. i mean its not like i was trying to hit them but they were acting like i was hitting wedges into them. and just to show those were fluke drives i thought i nutted one to a 312 yard hole with no-one on the green and it ended up about 10 yards short of the front edge

[quote name='AFcelica' date='13 April 2010 - 03:59 PM' timestamp='1271192394' post='2377865']
so what do you do if you drive 2 greens you never drove before with
[/quote]
Capitol letters and punctuation are your friend. You should know how far you hit the ball, and not drive it when there are other groups in range of your tee shot. Not too difficult.

And all you guys who say they would tee one up and hit it back, I hope you are joking. Accidentally hitting someone with a drive is one thing, but you would have a hard time proving to a court that you "accidentally" tee'd one up and sent it flying back to the group.

[quote name='AFcelica' date='13 April 2010 - 03:59 PM' timestamp='1271192394' post='2377865']
so what do you do if you drive 2 greens you never drove before with no huge winds that on the score card read 331 and 349 and are straight away holes.
[/quote]

Bottom line ..... It's YOUR ball, and you are responsible for it's actions when you send it downrange. ESPECIALLY if it goes on your intended line of flight.

Sorry, but that's my opinion.

TEE CB Pro LE 13 degree
TEE XCGV 16.5 degree
Adams A4 Forged DG X100
Vokey Custom 54 & 58

Hitting into the group in front of you is not cool. I have a story for you. We teed off on a par five and are keeping up with the group in front of us. We teed off from the white tees. Now I am an average driver of the ball and hit my driver 225 carry. We are walking up to my drive and are still about 25 yards from it. A ball sails right over our heads and lands past my ball. I turn around and this guy from the group behind us had just hit it from the black tees which are about 35 yards further that the whites. What a jerk! Now, he is no beginner if he can hit it that far and straight so there is no excuse. We are on the green and he runs up to say he was sorry. We just ignored him. If you have a phone, just call the pro shop and have a marshall come out and deal with them. You never know what kind of people are behind you.

[quote name='AFcelica' date='13 April 2010 - 04:59 PM' timestamp='1271192394' post='2377865']
i mean its not like i was trying to hit them but they were acting like i was hitting wedges into them. and just to show those were fluke drives i thought i nutted one to a 312 yard hole with no-one on the green and it ended up about 10 yards short of the front edge
[/quote]

Anytime you come close to hitting someone playing the same hole you are..your bound for trouble no matter what club you are using. Some may give you that first drive but you should of known something was going on with your distances on that one and you had better adjust accordingly.

SIM 2 Max 9.0 turned 7.0
TM Sim2 Titaniu, 13.5
TM RBZ 19* hybrid

TM RBZ 22* hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

[quote name='stevestrike' date='13 April 2010 - 05:49 PM' timestamp='1271198952' post='2378031']

And all you guys who say they would tee one up and hit it back, I hope you are joking.
[/quote]

Yeah ... they're giving out what I call "Internet Bad-Guy". ;)

I would venture to wager that only 1 out of every 1,000 are as "Bad-Guy" as they want you to think they are. It's easy to be brave sitting in your home hiding behind a keyboard.

TEE CB Pro LE 13 degree
TEE XCGV 16.5 degree
Adams A4 Forged DG X100
Vokey Custom 54 & 58

What you have to guard against is laying up...and smashing the ball too far because you relaxed and took a great swing. It has happened to me a couple times and it's scary when you see that ball screaming toward the green with people on it. Getting smacked with a ball can be fatal.

When I drive my car these days, I have to stick to the speed limit, because I'm waiting out a ticket. One more ticket, and my insurance is going to kill me. So when someone is tailing me and even honking cause I'M DRIVING THE SPEED LIMIT I just smile and remind myself that if I get pulled over, he (and often she) is not going to pull over, hand me their credit card, and say "just put your insurance premium on my card." The day they offer to pay my insurance, I'll break the speed limit.

So when confronted with a jerk pressuring you to hit into the group ahead of you, just remember that the moron behind you is not going to whip out his checkbook and pay your legal bills for hitting, maiming, or killing the golfer in front of you.

More likely he'd be in the clubhouse telling a police he tried to warn you not to hit yet.

• 3 weeks later...

You should NEVER be upset if a person's ball ROLLS onto your green ONCE during a round with no danger of injuring anybody. Sometimes you hit the shot of your life, or get a great bounce, or have the wrong yardage, or have never played the course before and the yardage on the scorecard on a short par 4 is misleading, or try out a buddy's driver that goes 30 yards further than your own, or a gust of wind makes your ball roll much more than you had expected, etc. Usually, people that hit into you are very apologetic and had no intention of putting pressure on you or upsetting you. Put yourself in other people's shoes before you react and the world would be a much better place. However, if a ball carries onto the green, or if it happens two or more times, you SHOULD be upset and react accordingly.