Love for a small town shop

handz98

nice little story
I have been in the market for a new 3 wood and have been wanting to demo the Tour Edge Exotics. I haven't been able to make it to one of their demo days and they are hard to find in stores in my area. I looked a their website and saw that there is a shop in a little (< 5000 population) town about thirty miles away that carries them. I figured, what the heck, I had the day off, so after I dropped the boys off at school I took a little drive. I found the place, a typical little Mom and Pop shop on Main street in this small town. I parked on the street right out front, no parking meters or huge parking lot. I walked in and there was the owner and his dad ready and willing to serve. The had a very well stocked shop with all of the latest and greatest gear. I told them what I was after and we had a nice discussion about the Exotics product line. We made it back to the display but they didn't have much of a selection (Pop said that they had sold a few last week and were waiting on a shipment this week.) I told him that I'd like to get a chance to demo them outdoors and not just into the net. He flipped open his cell phone and called the rep from Tour Edge (had her on speed dial) ... no upcoming demos in our area. He handed me one of the fairway woods and told me to go and try it out. He explained that there was a course with a driving range on the North side of town. I asked if he needed a credit card or Driver's Liscense as collateral - he said, "nah, you'll be back." So here I am with a $350 club in my hand walking out of a store and the guy doesn't know me from Adam. You don't see that kind of trust very often anymore these days. Needless to say, they have gotten themselves a new customer ... I just love the Midwest.

Of course I brought the club back ... don't be ridiculous. Now I just need to find the right loft and shaft combination and have them order it for me!

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Great story. Thanks for sharing that....the old price/$$$ arguments get real tired so something like this makes me feel good.

I just reshafted my own 9* with an Accra SC65 at 44.5". Head was real light at 195g so I fixed that up and hit the range. OMFG!!!! I've hit lots of drivers about as far for carry but the beautiful flat trajetory and fantastic accuracy was something to behold. I kid you not when I say old Korean housewives begged me for attention.

thats great!

i have yet to find a place that i will go to for all my stuff. the pro shop at my club is getting better but even though im there every day, niegbor to the club pro and a very very good family friend they will not cut me any deals they sell me all the stuff at retail. There selection is very low and they act like its a pain in the but to order anything so...i cant wait to find one of these very rare shops.

You must be talking about Ye Ole Golf shop in Tuscola, IL. I grew up about 10 miles from there but moved Indy 15 years ago. The shop has been opened for aroung 10 years. Every time I go back to see the parents I stop in check out the shop, I have bought a few clubs from them. The down to earth service that you get is great and you never see that in a big city. The owner used to own part of Ironwood CC and had his shop in the club house, this was great because you could take in thing out to the range and try it out!

Great place, spread the word and give him your local business! I just wish I could find that service in Indy!

Cobra Fly Z, Fubuki
Cobra Fly Z 3 wood
18 Cobra DWS
PING Rapture Hy 21
PING G series 5-pw
PING Glide 56
Odyssey Milled #9

A good friend of mine owns his own golf shop, and it is one that you can get anything you want at a reasonable price. The thing I like about his shop is you get personal service, meaning you are treated like a human and he really appreciates your business. On the other hand there is one of those chain stores on the other side of town, that acts like you should be priviliged to be in there store. Even though they have a much fancier store, I refuse to go in there. The mom and pop stores might not always be the best price, but I can assure you one thing, the service is second to none!

Driver-Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 3Wood -Cobra F8 Irons-Srixon ZX7 3-PW Wedges-Haywood Putter-Seemore M1W Ball-Snell MTBX, Vice Pro Plus

Actually, you're talking about O Pro Shop which is now located in downtown Tuscola, Illinois. The shop is operated by the Frye family who are well known locally. The business was started by Orville, a retired insurance agent and was originally operated by appointment out of his basement. As interest picked up, a seperate shop was opened downtown and operated successfully for several years by Orville, son Jerry and grandson John. The shop was relocated to the local Ironhorse Golf Course when Orville had the opportunity to participate in its purchase. After the sale of the course last year, the shop moved back to a downtown location.

John has since married and moved to Phoenix where he is a customer service rep for Ping, but Jerry and Orville are still there giving the best customer service imaginable. Sorry for the shameless plug, but the Frye family are some of the nicest people I've ever come into contact with and I'm proud to say they have become good friends over the past years. I drive 45 miles to deal with them, but they can be reached though their website: www.oproshop.com.

That is a great story. I buy all of my equipment locally and not on Ebay. I have a shop where I am that is great, I also go to Golf Galaxy and althought they are a chain they have some nice poeple working there. I much prefer to go in to a store and pick somehting out and take it home with me.

I feel comfortable in knowing that the clubs are all all legit and if there is a problem I can go back and get it taken care of. I may not get the best deal out there like some of the Ebay deals but I am happy.