2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

FT-9 Tour I-MIX Vs. FT-IQ Tour I-MIX Head/Shaft Test

Twisterkahn

Yesterday I got my hands on a few I-MIX Heads and Shafts and did some real-world testing. I am a 2 handicapper with SS around 110-120, average drive goes 280-310 depending on how I catch it. Typical 8 iron goes 160, typical 5 iron goes 200. My swing is pretty upright and my irons are 2 degress upright (standard length, x100 shafts) even though I am only 5'10", 185 lbs. My misses with my irons and woods are typically 5-10 yard pulls, I do not lose the ball right at all.

Heads

FT-9 Tour 10.5 Neutral

FT-IQ Tour 9.5 Neutral

Shafts

Aldila Voodoo SVS6 (Real Voodoo, made with .350 shaft with installed I-MIX adapter) Butt End cut to match the 45 inch playing length of I-MIX

UST V2 Stiff 67g I-MIX Stock Shaft from Website

UST V2 X-Stiff 77g I-MIX (Made from uncut .350 shaft with installed I-MIX adapter) Butt End cut to match the 45 inch playing length of I-MIX

Ball flight:

My normal setup is the 10.5 FT-9 Head with Voodoo SVS6 and I was wanting to tighten up the dispersion, I was tending to hit a hook when I went after a drive. My options were to go to a stiffer shaft and a heavier weight shaft.

FT-IQ Tour 9.5 with Voodoo--Low-Mid launch for me, Lower than I need and lower than optimum for my angle into the ball, spin seemed good, the ball did not balloon on me

FT-IQ Tour 9.5 with UST V2 65 Stiff---Lauched a bit higher than Voodoo but very close to the same, spin was a touch more too which I needed because the 9.5 head is not enough for me it seemed

FT-IQ Tour 9.5 with UST V2 76 X-Stiff--Low Launch, lowest of all the others, Ball started out low and fell out of the sky from lack of spin it seems, the 9.5 head with this shaft was too low lauching and low spinning for me. This Combo might be good on 100 degree days with rock hard fairways however, or on windy days where you need to keep the ball down.

FT-9 Tour 10.5 with Voodoo ---Medium Height and decent spin, the ball didnt balloon on me but it did not just fall out of the sky either, was able to hook it when I went after it

FT-9 Tour 10.5 with Stiff V2 65---Very Similiar Height as the Voodoo, maybe slightly higher, spin seemed like it increased just a touch, could hook it as well, but felt a bit more stable

FT-9 Tour 10.5 with X-Stiff V2 76--Launched maybe a touch lower than both, spin was a bit lower than the 65 stiff gram version, I believe this shaft combo worked best for me because I was not able to hook it as easily when I went after it and shaft felt very stable during transision down to the hitting area.

Conclusions:

The two heads seem to be internally weighted similiar, ie. the only difference in the launch/spin of the heads was the difference of the loft (9.5 vs 10.5) If you launch the 10.5 fine in the FT-9 Tour I-MIX, then you will need a 10.5 head in the FT-IQ I-MIX line. I can only assume it is similiar in the FT-IZ I-MIX head as well.

I would like to try some other shafts with the 9.5 that are higher launching to see if there is a combination that will work better for me. I live about 100 miles from the nearest launch monitor so all my testing is real world looking at the ball flight and determining what is best for me.

I have one more I-MIX tip that I will put into another shaft, some options are below:

Aldila RIP (if i can find one) 60 or 70X

Diamana Blueboard 73 X Stiff

UST AXIVCore Tour Green X (~70 Gram)

Any other suggestions?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the i-mix FT-9 Tour 9.5 and FT-IQ Tour 9.5. For shafts, I have the Fubuki 63 X-flex, UST V2 66 Stiff, Diamana Whiteboard 73 X-Flex, and AXIVCore Tour Red Stiff. My swing speed and distances are identical to yours. My trajectory can get too high and I tend to put too much spin on the ball. So, low spin shafts work best for me, high spin shafts are a disaster.

If I understand your post, you are looking for a higher trajectory but also want low spin. If so, I would strongly suggest the Fubuki 63 in X-Flex. The tip section is more active and as a result has a mid-high launch but very low spin. If you try it, make sure it is the 63 gram, not the 60. 63 is the real deal, 60 is not.

Mizuno JPX-900 | Fujikura Speeder EVO II 661
Adams Super Hybrid XTD 17*
Mizuno JPX-900 Hybrid 21*
Taylormade P790 (5-Gap)
Callaway MD3 (58, 54)
Taylormade Spider Tour

I am in the mid-high teens, I usually swing about 90 percent to make sure I dont overcook it.

I wish I had more shafts to try. Trying to find out what is best for me is very challenging, but man, I do enjoy tinkering. I wish that Voodoo SVS6 was a XVS6 or a XVS7, I could use a little stiffer shaft. I have hit that FT-9 Tour 10.5 head with a Aldila VS Proto 70-S shaft as well, however, the launch on it was almost identical to the Voodoo, with the Voodoo being a bit longer.

[quote name='Twisterkahn' date='27 May 2010 - 12:08 PM' timestamp='1274983708' post='2471106']
Thanks for the info. How does the Diamana Whiteboard compare to the UST V2 you have?
[/quote]

A bit difficult to compare as it is not apples to apples. My Diamana is 73 grams and X flex, whereas my V2 is 66 grams and stiff. My V2 is the "normal" version, not the "HL" (high launch version).

Generally, I find that looking at a particular shaft model, the heavier version will almost always launch lower than the lighter version of the same model, and the spin will increase a touch as you go to lighter versions of the same model of shaft. So, when I tested a V2 in 75, it launched lower and had a touch less spin than the V2 in 66.

Comparing my particular Whiteboard to my V2, the Whiteboard is more accurate by a fairly large margin as it is stiffer overall, heavier and more tip-stiff. It is difficult to get into trouble with the Whiteboard. My Whiteboard trajectory is lower compared to my V2. In fact, I think the Whiteboard is one of the lowest launching shafts on the market- the only shaft I have ever hit that launches lower is the Rombax 7Z08, which is ridiculously low launch/low spin. For me, I would categorize the V2 66 gram as a low-mid launch, low-mid spin, and the Whiteboard as a low-launch, low-spin shaft.

If the fairways are hard and/or the conditions are windy, the Whiteboard is the best I have owned/hit to date. If there is no wind and/or the fairways are soft, I go Fubuki or the V2 or AXIVCore Tour Red as I get more distance than I would from the Whiteboard in those conditions.

Hope that helps.

Taylormade P790 (5-Gap)
Callaway MD3 (58, 54)
Taylormade Spider Tour

Wow, great chart! Of the shafts I have tried or owned, I think the chart seems very accurate. More authoritative than my opinions any way. I assume this data is based off of robot testing? The only two that are perplexing to me are the Redboard 63 and the Fubuki 63. The Redboard seemed very high launching to me (a fair bit higher than the Fubuki). Also, I would have thought that the spin on the Fubuki would be lower than "mid spin". I would have put the Fubuki in the "low" spin category for sure, but I defer to Cobra. Quite a few on here I have not tried so the chart is useful.

Taylormade P790 (5-Gap)
Callaway MD3 (58, 54)
Taylormade Spider Tour

[quote name='Twisterkahn' date='27 May 2010 - 11:15 AM' timestamp='1274973345' post='2470693']
Yesterday I got my hands on a few I-MIX Heads and Shafts and did some real-world testing. I am a 2 handicapper with SS around 110-120, average drive goes 280-310 depending on how I catch it. Typical 8 iron goes 160, typical 5 iron goes 200. My swing is pretty upright and my irons are 2 degress upright (standard length, x100 shafts) even though I am only 5'10", 185 lbs. My misses with my irons and woods are typically 5-10 yard pulls, I do not lose the ball right at all.

Heads
FT-9 Tour 10.5 Neutral
FT-IQ Tour 9.5 Neutral

Shafts
Aldila Voodoo SVS6 (Real Voodoo, made with .350 shaft with installed I-MIX adapter) Butt End cut to match the 45 inch playing length of I-MIX
UST V2 Stiff 67g I-MIX Stock Shaft from Website
UST V2 X-Stiff 77g I-MIX (Made from uncut .350 shaft with installed I-MIX adapter) Butt End cut to match the 45 inch playing length of I-MIX

Ball flight:

My normal setup is the 10.5 FT-9 Head with Voodoo SVS6 and I was wanting to tighten up the dispersion, I was tending to hit a hook when I went after a drive. My options were to go to a stiffer shaft and a heavier weight shaft.

FT-IQ Tour 9.5 with Voodoo--Low-Mid launch for me, Lower than I need and lower than optimum for my angle into the ball, spin seemed good, the ball did not balloon on me
FT-IQ Tour 9.5 with UST V2 65 Stiff---Lauched a bit higher than Voodoo but very close to the same, spin was a touch more too which I needed because the 9.5 head is not enough for me it seemed
FT-IQ Tour 9.5 with UST V2 76 X-Stiff--Low Launch, lowest of all the others, Ball started out low and fell out of the sky from lack of spin it seems, the 9.5 head with this shaft was too low lauching and low spinning for me. This Combo might be good on 100 degree days with rock hard fairways however, or on windy days where you need to keep the ball down.

FT-9 Tour 10.5 with Voodoo ---Medium Height and decent spin, the ball didnt balloon on me but it did not just fall out of the sky either, was able to hook it when I went after it
FT-9 Tour 10.5 with Stiff V2 65---Very Similiar Height as the Voodoo, maybe slightly higher, spin seemed like it increased just a touch, could hook it as well, but felt a bit more stable
FT-9 Tour 10.5 with X-Stiff V2 76--Launched maybe a touch lower than both, spin was a bit lower than the 65 stiff gram version, I believe this shaft combo worked best for me because I was not able to hook it as easily when I went after it and shaft felt very stable during transision down to the hitting area.

Conclusions:
The two heads seem to be internally weighted similiar, ie. the only difference in the launch/spin of the heads was the difference of the loft (9.5 vs 10.5) If you launch the 10.5 fine in the FT-9 Tour I-MIX, then you will need a 10.5 head in the FT-IQ I-MIX line. I can only assume it is similiar in the FT-IZ I-MIX head as well.

I would like to try some other shafts with the 9.5 that are higher launching to see if there is a combination that will work better for me. I live about 100 miles from the nearest launch monitor so all my testing is real world looking at the ball flight and determining what is best for me.

I have one more I-MIX tip that I will put into another shaft, some options are below:

Any other suggestions?
[/quote]

I installed an Imix tip on an Aldila RIP 80 x and its unreal. My only complaint is it might be too heavy for me my SS averages 106 I think I might be better with the 70x I got he heavier shaft to try and keep the ball down (which it did). I have it installed in an IZ head. You should definitely give the RIP a try. I also want to try the Miyazaki Black with the I-mix. I tried the Project-x and did like it but ended up putting it in my 3 wood, you should consider that as well.

Yes, I am in the market for a RIP 70X. I do not know if they make a .350 model but a shimmed up .335 would work in the i-mix head. I also would like to try a Motore F3 and a Fubuki 63 X but I am having problems finding any X shafts for sale anywhere, including on here and on ebay.

Does anyone know how much more spin is created by changing the loft of the club 1 degree (Assuming same SS and angle into the ball)?

[quote name='Twisterkahn' date='27 May 2010 - 09:41 PM' timestamp='1275010879' post='2471958']
Yes, I am in the market for a RIP 70X. I do not know if they make a .350 model but a shimmed up .335 would work in the i-mix head. I also would like to try a Motore F3 and a Fubuki 63 X but I am having problems finding any X shafts for sale anywhere, including on here and on ebay.

Does anyone know how much more spin is created by changing the loft of the club 1 degree (Assuming same SS and angle into the ball)?
[/quote]

There's a couple 60 x for sale on e-bay. I'm pretty sure they do not come in .350, I just shim'd mine and it fit fine. not sure about the changing the loft, I guess you could get on a launch monitor and check.

[quote name='Twisterkahn' date='27 May 2010 - 11:15 AM' timestamp='1274973345' post='2470693']

Any other suggestions?
[/quote]

Oban Devotion.

I play an FT-IQ Tour 8.5* with an Oban Devotion. I'm hitting it like I'm in college again.

[quote name='Twisterkahn' date='27 May 2010 - 09:41 PM' timestamp='1275010879' post='2471958']
Yes, I am in the market for a RIP 70X. I do not know if they make a .350 model but a shimmed up .335 would work in the i-mix head.
[/quote]

You don't need to shim it. The adapters work for both .350 and .335 tips, with the .350 requiring a bit more sanding at the very tip of the shaft in order to fully seat the shaft in the adapter.

I've set 4or 5 .335 shafts in the adapters. I use golfworks tour set epoxy plus and add some glass shafting beads. I've never had a problem with the shaft coming loose. I wouldn't use a shim if you plan on using the adapter again.

One of the better post I have read on this site. I have the FT-IQ 9.5*. Your post explains why I am not getting along well with the Whiteboard 73S. It launches well, but then falls like a rock. Not enough spin? I use the VS Proto 70S and it is about the perfect shaft for me. I would like to try an 80S or 70X to try to tighten dispersion a bit, but for now am satisfied. For comparisons, my SS is 104 - 108.

That sounds about right, The VS Proto should spin more than the Whiteboard. I had problems with the ball falling out of the sky with the FT-IQ 9.5 with the V2 76g X shaft. The Current driver in my bag is the 10.5 FT-9 Tour with the V2 76g X shaft and I hit it well, I might need to hit it a touch higher for best carry numbers probably.

I will probably sell the 9.5 FT-IQ Tour with the Voodoo SVS6, unless I can trade the Voodoo for another shaft that will launch it higher (like a Fubuki 73 X). I really need to be in a X flex, so I also need to get rid of the V2 66g Stiff as well.

Maybe I can find someone that would trade a 10.5 FT-IQ for a 9.5 FT-IQ or something.

One shaft I have been wanting to try is the UST Mamiya Attas. It is supposed to be mid launch. Through some connections I am fortunate to have access to a terrific indoor golf training center with lots of state-of-the-art diagnostic and launch monitor gear, as well as outdoor demo opportunities for most clubs/shafts on the market, so I get to play around with lots of different gear throughout the year. However, the Attas has not been available thus far. Ernie Els and a few others have had this shaft in play from time to time this year. Messing around with different gear has turned into a sub-hobby itself, but I find it fun.

Taylormade P790 (5-Gap)
Callaway MD3 (58, 54)
Taylormade Spider Tour

iq head is lower launching than FT-9 head in the same loft.

Titleist TSR3 10* | Fujikura Ventus Black 6S

Titleist TSR2 15* | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 7S

Callaway UW 19* | Graphite Design Tour AD MJ 8X

Titleist T350 4I | True Temper AMT Red S300

Titleist T200 5-GW | Project X IO 6.0 

Cleveland RTX6 Zipcore 54* Mid | Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Callaway RTX6 Zipcore Raw 60* Low | Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 | BGT Stability Carbon

Srixon Z Star Diamond

Test results with Fubuki 63 X:

FT-IQ Tour Neutral 9.5--Excellent Launch and Spin, probably the best match thus far for my launch conditions. The combination of lower loft (reduction of spin) + higher launching shaft (with relatively the same spin) should equal longer drives.

I am going to take it out onto the course tomorrow and get a good feel for it using a Pro-V1x instead of range balls.

I havent had a chance to put the Fubuki 63 x into the 10.5 FT-9 Tour Neutral Head yet, but my suspicions are that it will launch too high for that shaft. (but I will test it to confirm)

My question is this, If I decided to get a FT-IZ Tour I-Mix head, should I go with the 9.5 degree to match the Fubuki 63 x shaft or should I get a 10.5 degree? Are the launch characteristics of the FT-IZ Tour Head similiar/same as the FT-IQ Tour or the FT-9 Tour heads?

Glad to hear that the Fubuki is working out. I think it is a terrific shaft. Do you like the 46" length? I have tried going longer than 45" but I start to loose consistency with 46" and up lengths. As a result, on average, I am longer with the 45", because I am hitting the sweetspot more often.

I too am interested in purchasing an FT-IZ head. Hearing and reading good things about it. I have only hit the FT-IZ indoors, but really need to hit it outdoors.

I think Callaway is on to something with the FT-IZ models. I just bought a 2 and 3 FT-IZ hybrid and they are really, really good. So good, I am selling my A7 and G15 hybrids.

If you purchase the FT-IZ, be sure to post your results.

Taylormade P790 (5-Gap)
Callaway MD3 (58, 54)
Taylormade Spider Tour

I went during lunch and got the shaft extension removed. I also had a chance to get on a Vector launch monitor with the 9.5 FT-IQ Tour Head with the Fubuki 63x shaft. Lauch monitor was showing me what I figured out on the range. I did not stretch or warm up or anything, but I hit enough balls with it to get a pretty close representation on what it will be real world.

SS: ~112-115 MPH
Launch Angle: 12.8-13 degrees consistantly
Spin: 3600-3850 using 2 piece range balls (I think ideal is around 2800-3000 for my SS)

Spin is a little high but tolerable, but the launch angle is pretty close to ideal so I am afraid to change much with the shaft. I might be able to get away with a Fubuki 73x or a Fubuki Alpha 60x or 70x and get the spin down a bit without changing the launch too much.

I can live with those numbers, the ProV1x ball might change the spin a bit as well.

Based on these numbers, Can anyone recommend a shaft that keep the spin down a bit and still launch about the same as the fubuki tour 63x?

I posted those launch monitor stats before I took the butt extension out of the club. The 1 inch butt extension was put in at the factory (the shaft was ordered online it seems from shop.callawaygolf.com) and it looks like they must have changed the stiffness of the club to counteract the new length or they increased the swingweight to make it play the same as stock length. After taking out the extension the shaft plays much stiffer than before, so much so that I really have to jump on it in order to keep from hitting a small cut with it. I got a guy that swings a few MPH faster than me (120 ish) and he had trouble with it too thinking it was playing really stiff.

It must be swingweight related; I changed grips from a Lamkin over to a Golf Pride MultiCompound also. The swingweight might have changed enough that it feels much stiffer due to the lesser swingweight. I am not worried with it much though, because I can put a bit of lead tape at the bottom of the club to loosen the shaft up a bit.

Any ideas?

I can't speak for swing weights, but I can comment on the butt extension. 46" is a LOOONG driver length. The bigger OEMs have been pushing driver shaft lengths hard the past few cycles. The Cobra ZL is playing 46" stock. IMO that's too long.

Regarding the FT-IQ, I had read the club played 45" off the rack. However, the first and second shafts I had both played at 44.5". Both were Fubukis, direct from Callaway, 63s and 73x. They were the most accurate at 44.5". The were so accurate I got greedy and extended the fubuki 63s to 45" after I tipped it 1" (so my butt extension was 1.5" rather than 1"). Accuracy wasn't nearly as good. Tried again with an Oban Devotion and after playing it at 45" and now 44.5", the 44.5" is, IMO, where the club should be played.

Hope this helps.

• 1 month later...