Phoenix Summer Golf 2010

Charlie.Dont.Surf

Course Conditions, Specials, Pics, Cute Cart Girls, etc
Figured this might be worth while, given plenty of people probably play the more run of the mill courses and don't bother posting about them given the majors - Troon, WeKo, Grayhawk, GC, etc get all the major thread love.

Played Longbow 6/19
Overall wasn't in the greatest shape...greens had been recently aierated and were pretty rough to putt on.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most every course in the valley punches the greens in June. Some earlier some later. A necessary evil but it is nice to know in advance so you can be selective. Not nice to find out on the first green.

Played Talking Stick North Sunday 6/20. Greens were perfect, but the course was very wet. They are trying to hold on to the rye as long as possible. They are scheduled to punch the north course on July 5.

• 2 weeks later...

Played Talking Stick North Yesterday, it was in great shape fairways were not wet and you could get some decent roll out with driver, greens were in very good shape. If they are punching them on monday I guess that will change though.

[twitter]oneputtblunder[/twitter]
10.5 Aeroburner TP Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8
14.5 X2 Hot 3 Deep Tour Green
18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill or Circa 62 No 2
Vokey 52/56/60 SM5/TVDK/TVDVgrind DG S300
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

Played Legend Trail today, Fairways were terrible greens were very good. Tons of dead spots in the fairway and not the good kind that are hard pan and roll for ever these were pretty soft and most had aeration marks. Still a fun course to play just wish the fairways were alot nicer,

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

Played Wildfire(Faldo). as a side note - Faldo was in the better condition of the 2 courses on the property; and Faldo was out of aeration for 3 weeks or so.

The course was uttterly disgusting. People were walking off the course and demanding there money back.

This is the worst I have ever seen the course, even for summer conditions.

The fairways were non existent. It was either mud or hard pan. It was better to be in the rough where there was some grass.

The greens were not much better with poor fringes and spotty greens. Appeared that they are not even bothering to roll the greens either.

This course should not even be open.

In contrast, I played Vista Verde and it was in outstanding shaped for summer. They had even dumped water on the greens and they held shots perfectly. What a treat!!! I had a hilarious round...47 on the front and 33 on the back and it could have been a 30(lipped out 3 putts).

Amazing the difference....oh, di I mention Vista Verde was $25 and Wildfire was $35!!!

Do not waste your time with Wildfire not matter how low it goes! Just not worth it.

Played Dinosaur as well and it was in great shape too! Some aeration in the fairways and near the green, yet totally playable!

Thanks for the update, I havent played Faldo in a while and since I live down the street I was going to go out there again, but I will hold off on that idea, Medicaptain and I almost went to Vista on sunday, sounds like we should get back out there.

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120

Avoid WeKoPa right now. Played today with brother in law and its in terrible condition!! Most of the greens have numerous bare spots and very bumpy, many of the fairways are cart path only due to poor grass conditions and trying to get them better. Played Troon North yesterday and its perfect right now! If I wan't a WeKoPa pass holder and my guest would have paid $75 I would have been livid.

--jason

Its sad to hear that the cholla course is such a mess right now especially with the saguaro course closed for the new greens. I was actually looking to get out there and play it a few times to see if I like it, my first impression was not all that great compared to saguaro, but I was also playing pretty bad that day. Alot of courses seem to be having issues with getting the bermuda to come through the fairways right now hence a lot of fairways in bad shape.

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120

Well I will try to sum up my last few weeks of vacation and playing nearly 36 holes every day....(and heat exhausting myself nearly every day too...thanks god for the swimming pool at home....how fun)

Gold Canyon-Dino-good shape with decently rolling greens
"other side"...cant remember the name-greens were just coming back and should be good soon....fwys good shape
WeKoPa-enough has been said. I went there to play and the guy at the desk set me up at Eagle Mtn......
Eagle Mountain-good greens-Fwys spotty but rolling
Whirlwind-both sides in good shape and will get better every day...just a couple of bumps here and there on the greens
Tatum Ranch-greens rolling nicely, fairways patchy but not too bad at all//too many rocks in the bunkers though
Legend-Read Oneputts review
Troon-Pinnacle is awesome....Monument is getting there for sure
Legend at Arrowhead-run....dont walk away...worst golf course conditions I have ever paid $20 for...truly disgusting that they are allowed to charge people to play this completely neglected golf course.
Arrowhead CC-I just joined there and they punched the day I joined.....it will be about two weeks before it is decent. If anyone wants to get out there as my guest....shoot me a PM
TPC Champions-coming into summer nicely...fairways were punch and patchy but should be good in a week or so..greens good

Quintero-....unbelievable greens......let me be clear....UN EFFIN believable greens. Entire course is in good to great shape. Greens are awesome....did I say that yet?

Epic Project X LZ 6.0
Epic 15* Project X LZ 6.0
19* and 23* Titleist 916H2
2018 X-Forged Proj X 5-P
MD3 50, 54, 58
PXG Dagger

[quote name='Medicaptain' date='09 July 2010 - 08:33 PM' timestamp='1278736393' post='2566293']
Well I will try to sum up my last few weeks of vacation and playing nearly 36 holes every day....(and heat exhausting myself nearly every day too...thanks god for the swimming pool at home....how fun)

"other side"...cant remember the name-greens were just coming back and should be good soon....fwys good shape
WeKoPa-enough has been said. I went there to play and the guy at the desk set me up at Eagle Mtn......
Whirlwind-both sides in good shape and will get better every day...just a couple of bumps here and there on the greens
Tatum Ranch-greens rolling nicely, fairways patchy but not too bad at all//too many rocks in the bunkers though
Legend at Arrowhead-run....dont walk away...worst golf course conditions I have ever paid $20 for...truly disgusting that they are allowed to charge people to play this completely neglected golf course.
Arrowhead CC-I just joined there and they punched the day I joined.....it will be about two weeks before it is decent. If anyone wants to get out there as my guest....shoot me a PM
TPC Champions-coming into summer nicely...fairways were punch and patchy but should be good in a week or so..greens good

Quintero-....unbelievable greens......let me be clear....UN EFFIN believable greens. Entire course is in good to great shape. Greens are awesome....did I say that yet?
[/quote]

Playing the Sidewinder at Gold Mountain on Sun. Hopefully it will be in good shape.

[quote name='gotj1' date='09 July 2010 - 09:42 PM' timestamp='1278736923' post='2566306']
[quote name='Medicaptain' date='09 July 2010 - 08:33 PM' timestamp='1278736393' post='2566293']

[/quote]

Playing the Sidewinder at Gold Mountain on Sun. Hopefully it will be in good shape.
[/quote]

Thats it...Sidewinder....I played it a week ago today and they were still a little sandy...but after this week I am sure it is good. solid course for sure...not as spectacular as Dino and I still cant get over warming up on mats...MATS!....I havent hit on mats before a round since I was like 9 at Verdugo Hills par 3 course...with lights for playing up until 10pm...I doubt it is still there but it was the shizzlnit when I was 9

Epic Project X LZ 6.0
Epic 15* Project X LZ 6.0
19* and 23* Titleist 916H2
2018 X-Forged Proj X 5-P
MD3 50, 54, 58
PXG Dagger

My favorite beverage cart girl still out at vistancia?:man_in_love:

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120

[quote name='Medicaptain' date='09 July 2010 - 08:47 PM' timestamp='1278737272' post='2566316']
[quote name='gotj1' date='09 July 2010 - 09:42 PM' timestamp='1278736923' post='2566306']

[/quote]

[/quote]

Thats it...Sidewinder....I played it a week ago today and they were still a little sandy...but after this week I am sure it is good. solid course for sure...not as spectacular as Dino and I still cant get over warming up on mats...MATS!....I havent hit on mats before a round since I was like 9 at Verdugo Hills par 3 course...with lights for playing up until 10pm...I doubt it is still there but it was the shizzlnit when I was 9
[/quote]

MATS!! The round was 30 bucks on Golf hub, then lowered to 25. Hopefully it will be okay. Golfnow said they were aerating the Dino, so for 30 bucks I thought we were avoiding it. Oh Well.... Let you know tomorrow how it went.

i live on a country club here called terrivita greens are unreal and the course is in winter shape i will only play there this summer. i have 2 open spots if someone wants to come as my guest rate is 50 bucks worth 150. the course is 4 min from legends trail and boulders just to give you the area. PM me if you want to play

Grayhawk typically has pretty soggy fairways if you tee off early, not used to getting mud balls in Phoenix during the summer but it happens out there. Havent been up to the Boulders lately but in most cases a call to the shop will get you a pretty honest answer and you can typically tell be their words and tone of voice if you should stay away.

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120

What we see in June is typically spotty conditions as the winter rye dies off. The bermuda has been competing with the rye throughout April and May and now the rye is suddenly gone and you see bare spots. As well, June is the hottest and driest month so it is a tough time for conditions.

By mid-July, we start to get some humidity and monsoon rain and conditions start to improve. By mid-August we have the best conditions of the summer which lasts until the end of Sept when they start to tear it all up again for the overseed and the cycle begins anew.

It is said that the base bermuda really suffers from the repeated overseeding. Most courses would benefit from periodically skipping the overseed, but that won't happen too often because winter is tourist season and you have to have green to get the $$.

[quote name='puttnforthe8' date='12 July 2010 - 04:12 PM' timestamp='1278976327' post='2571563']
Quintero has been open for public play since last year.

I am playing the Mid Am this Friday. Love the course...one of the best trips to make....even from down here in Chandler.
[/quote]

I just signed up for the Mid-AM tournament at Desert Highlands. Friday July 30. I have always wanted to check it out.

I want to check out Quintero too, but given that it can be accessed, I'll see if it can be arranged without a 1PM shotgun start :rolleyes:

I will be curious to hear your thoughts on Desert Highlands especially the green complex on 18, I played out there a bunch last year and still dont know quite what to make of it. The greens were like concrete so it made it very tough when playing from the tips and having longer approach shots to the greens. The should be a bit softer now though. There are a few holes that I absolutley love then a few that I just kinda wonder wtf happened here.

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120

I will be curious to hear your thoughts on Desert Highlands especially the green complex on 18, I played out there a bunch last year and still dont know quite what to make of it. The greens were like concrete so it made it very tough when playing from the tips and having longer approach shots to the greens. The should be a bit softer now though. There are a few holes that I absolutley love then a few that I just kinda wonder wtf happened here.

I sincerely hope they don't put us at the tips black%20eye.gif The few Nicklaus designs that I've played all share the similar traits of requiring some fairly demanding shots to the greens. I've learned to always choose a shorter than normal tee to have some reasonable shots. I'm not so great hitting the high fade 3-iron that lands softly like Jack.

A story about Desert Highlands. In 1983, DH hosted the first Skins Game. My Dad was getting remarried and I was back in Ohio to attend the wedding. We watched that first Skins Game on TV and both were totally blown away by the look of this course, a venue like no other we had ever seen, even for me living in Arizona. All of the munis I frequented were parkland style courses. Desert Highlands definitely introduced "desert golf" to the world.

I returned to Arizona and at some point decided I would go visit DH to buy a golf shirt for my Dad for Christmas. So I tool up to the gate in my Datsun pick-up and the guard asked if he could help me. I explained my quest and was politely told "Members and guests only..." Ah well... naivety at its best.

In any case, I've always wanted to play it, and now I can cross it off my list. And who knows, if I like it enough, I may look around to see it there are any houses that fit my taste. Right. ;)