Phoenix Summer Golf 2010

Charlie.Dont.Surf

[quote name='tjy355' date='15 July 2010 - 03:17 PM' timestamp='1279235837' post='2578622']
[quote name='puttnforthe8' date='12 July 2010 - 04:12 PM' timestamp='1278976327' post='2571563']
Quintero has been open for public play since last year.

I am playing the Mid Am this Friday. Love the course...one of the best trips to make....even from down here in Chandler.
[/quote]

I just signed up for the Mid-AM tournament at Desert Highlands. Friday July 30. I have always wanted to check it out.

I want to check out Quintero too, but given that it can be accessed, I'll see if it can be arranged without a 1PM shotgun start :rolleyes:
[/quote]

Tom...if you wanna make the trip to Quintero one day let me know...I live in Chandler too and we could carpool up.

BTW..the Mid Am has been putting us at the tips...we played Desert Forest at almost 7200!

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='puttnforthe8' date='16 July 2010 - 10:11 AM' timestamp='1279300300' post='2580139']

Tom...if you wanna make the trip to Quintero one day let me know...I live in Chandler too and we could carpool up.

BTW..the Mid Am has been putting us at the tips...we played Desert Forest at almost 7200!
[/quote]

Holy cow! 5+ hour rounds?
We played everything last year around 6800... For a short knocker like me, that's on the upper edge of my comfort zone.

I would be interested in checking out Quintero, it would be cool to play with someone familiar. This summer is messed up for me, I've too many things going on that is interfering with my GOLF!!

Good luck this afternoon!

[quote name='tjy355' date='16 July 2010 - 09:48 AM' timestamp='1279302517' post='2580216']
[quote name='puttnforthe8' date='16 July 2010 - 10:11 AM' timestamp='1279300300' post='2580139']

[/quote]

We played everything last year around 6800... For a short knocker like me, that's on the upper edge of my comfort zone.

I[/quote]

errmmm...DF ended up a 6hr 15min round for 2 groups!!! My group and 1 other finished in 4:10.....then a bunch of 5:15 rounds.....

[quote name='puttnforthe8' date='16 July 2010 - 11:23 AM' timestamp='1279304598' post='2580275']
[quote name='tjy355' date='16 July 2010 - 09:48 AM' timestamp='1279302517' post='2580216']

[/quote]

I[/quote]

errmmm...DF ended up a 6hr 15min round for 2 groups!!! My group and 1 other finished in 4:10.....then a bunch of 5:15 rounds.....
[/quote]

Ouch. DF was pretty slow last year too. I might hazard a guess who was in those last groups... Not good to stray from the turf out there. With with the Stableford format, there is no excuse to take that long.

That place is awesome though, especially the late afternoon light. I could get used to playing that course.

[quote name='preacher' date='16 July 2010 - 04:58 PM' timestamp='1279328281' post='2580901']
Let me know if you guys are going to Quintero, would love to make it out there.

--jason
[/quote]

Let me know your schedule J...Send me a email and we can try getting out there within the next couple of weeks.

• 3 weeks later...

Played Legacy today, one of my favorite courses in town. Looks like it was probably in great shape a week ago but it got absolutely thrashed by the monsoons yesterday.

- Every single bunker on the course in essentially unplayable due to erosion and puddles/lakes.

- There are lakes on several holes that honestly look like they're part of the course. It's as if there is there no drainage whatsoever. The "lake" on the left side of #12 is about 40yds x 60yds. Pretty crazy.

- The greens were soft and fairly slow but smooth enough to be playable. The greens are in the last stage of recovering from aeration and look like they should be real good with just a few days of drying. The rest of the course needs a good week of drying with no rain.

The service was good as always and the rate was great. Can't beat $18 on a Sunday afternoon.

[quote name='Medicaptain' timestamp='1281216793' post='2624840']
Yup....a fool and his money are quickly parted.......NEVER again no matter who asks me to go back there....
[/quote]

Yeah, I played it once a few months after it opened and was disappointed with it. It's not bad, just "meh." Reminded me a lot of Kierland. I guess I'd still pay $25-30 if I was in the area, but that's a long drive to play out there.

[quote name='silentcmh' timestamp='1281224961' post='2625044']
[quote name='Medicaptain' timestamp='1281216793' post='2624840']
Yup....a fool and his money are quickly parted.......NEVER again no matter who asks me to go back there....
[/quote]

Yeah, I played it once a few months after it opened and was disappointed with it. It's not bad, just "meh." Reminded me a lot of Kierland. I guess I'd still pay $25-30 if I was in the area, but that's a long drive to play out there.
[/quote]

"Meh" is a good description of Vistancia. Not bad really, but nothing particularly interesting either. I get this reaction from most of Panks' courses.

Speaking of Panks, I read that they have closed Aguila for a bunker renovation. It was certainly needed but I read that they are going to make them "flatter." I always though Aguila's bunkering was pretty severe for a muni course so this doesn't suprise me, but it sounds like the work will be done "in-house" without architect supervision, which is always a concern. I just hope they don't screw it up too much.

[url]http://www.azcentral.com/sports/golf/articles/2010/08/04/20100804aguila-golf-course-arizona-renovation.html[/url]

Played Eagle Mtn Fri it was in decent shape worth the $35 I paid.

[twitter]oneputtblunder[/twitter]
10.5 Aeroburner TP Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8
14.5 X2 Hot 3 Deep Tour Green
18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill or Circa 62 No 2
Vokey 52/56/60 SM5/TVDK/TVDVgrind DG S300
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

[quote name='tjy355' timestamp='1281276866' post='2625822']
Speaking of Panks, I read that they have closed Aguila for a bunker renovation. It was certainly needed but I read that they are going to make them "flatter." I always though Aguila's bunkering was pretty severe for a muni course so this doesn't suprise me, but it sounds like the work will be done "in-house" without architect supervision, which is always a concern. I just hope they don't screw it up too much.

[url="http://www.azcentral.com/sports/golf/articles/2010/08/04/20100804aguila-golf-course-arizona-renovation.html"]http://www.azcentral...renovation.html[/url]
[/quote]

I agree that it was pretty severe for a muni, bout I always felt that it was some of the bunkering that made it a stand out muni. Im with you in hoping that the renovations dont ruin it.

callaway epic max ls MMT x
Ping G25 15* Black Tie

818 H2 set 21* evenflow 6.5

HOGAN ft worth black x100

cleveland 50* scratch  54 & 60 customs T&A
Cleveland TA milled options

Played Vista Verde today in great shape, greens were holding well but running very quick. Plus they fixed the one design quirk that I hated. They filled in the wash on number 8 that disected the fairway and was blind off the tee. Now it is filled with grass and makes the hole much better.

Tom forgot to ask... What did you think of Desert Highlands?

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

[quote name='One_Putt_Blunder' timestamp='1281929297' post='2641275']
Played Vista Verde today in great shape, greens were holding well but running very quick. Plus they fixed the one design quirk that I hated. They filled in the wash on number 8 that disected the fairway and was blind off the tee. Now it is filled with grass and makes the hole much better.

Tom forgot to ask... What did you think of Desert Highlands?
[/quote]

Do you mean #7? Very short par 4. Without the wash it would seem to allow bombs away with no consideration of trouble?

Desert Highlands - I can check it off my list now but once is enough for me. A very difficult course, not so much off the tee, but the approaches to the greens require some pretty heroic shots without much room for error. Lots of long iron, hybrid, FW wood shots into frequent shallow, cape style greens with some serious fronting bunkers. Pretty much typical of JN design. Of course, the tees they had us at were too long for me to enjoy this course. For me to have fun, I would probably have to play it at 6000 yards. Very scenic though. Greens were putting very fast and true but with tricky breaks due to its location on the side of the mountain.

No number 8 at vista... the one right after the short par 4. It had the drainage wash running almost parallel to the fairway and from the tee it looked like you can play down the right side to make the hole a bit shorter then you would get you there and realize you just hit it right into a wash.

DH is definatley not a low ball hitters paradise with the green complexes.
first time I played out there they bet me that I couldnt break 90 and even though I had been posting almost every round in the 70's I think I shot a 89 or somthing, Got better each time I played it but dont think I ever broke 80 pretty much for the reasons you mentioned I just could not get anything to stay close to the hole.

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120

No number 8 at vista... the one right after the short par 4. It had the drainage wash running almost parallel to the fairway and from the tee it looked like you can play down the right side to make the hole a bit shorter then you would get you there and realize you just hit it right into a wash.

I can't remember the hole. Must... visit... Vista Verde... again...

DH is definatley not a low ball hitters paradise with the green complexes.

Yeah, I don't have the JN high fade 4-iron shot! black%20eye.gif

TPC Stadium is usually pretty beat up during the summer. Champions stays pretty good year round
FYI they are running a special right now if you bring 5 can goods food items to donate to a charity you can play Stadium for $50 and Champions for $39

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120

Quintero today. Terrific golf course, in good shape the greens are flat out awesome, but that is probably because they are bent grass.

BTW wekopa saguaro is open again starting sept 3rd

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120

Not sure I played on a reciprocal guest price but I think its like $75 right now.

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120

Played the Indian Bend course at Camelback golf club yesterday. I've played it before and it's a boring course, but it was cheap, convenient and slow, which is what I'm looking for when taking my gf to a course since she's new at the game.

Three tees are shut down so those holes play about 75-100 yards short. The rough is thick and nasty and the greens are extremely slow. But it's only $20 so it wasn't too bad a deal.