2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Callaway X-22 or Ping G15

golfingnut300

Time for some new sticks
I am interested in getting some new irons. Is there much of a difference between the G15 and the X-22's? I have played smaller head clubs and looking to get into some game improvement irons. It is going to take a lot of getting used to having a thick top line!! Which do you think would be the better set of clubs? I am not interested in the X-24's cause I think they will wear the black off very quickly, I hit a lot of balls! Do you have any other recomendations for some irons?

Thanks for your input.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i looked at G15's, X22's and AP1's. To me the X22's are simply hideous to look at and i wouldn't want them in my bag, they are really easy to hit though. The G15's are really easy to hit, and if you're going to play SGI's, ping is the one that for some reason makes it look cool.

the AP1's were great too, had a bit less offset than the others though, if you like that. They also come standard with dynamic golds which is nice

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

[quote name='golfingnut300' date='25 June 2010 - 08:19 PM' timestamp='1277515189' post='2536146']
I am interested in getting some new irons. Is there much of a difference between the G15 and the X-22's? I have played smaller head clubs and looking to get into some game improvement irons. It is going to take a lot of getting used to having a thick top line!! Which do you think would be the better set of clubs? I am not interested in the X-24's cause I think they will wear the black off very quickly, I hit a lot of balls! Do you have any other recomendations for some irons?

Thanks for your input.
[/quote]

Don't get either. Get the Diablo Forged. Easy to hit and look good at address.

Ping G430 10K 10.5º Chrome 2.0 S (on order)

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45" (soon to be mothballed)

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM4 56°, SM4 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

[quote name='golfingnut300' date='25 June 2010 - 09:19 PM' timestamp='1277515189' post='2536146']

Thanks for your input.
[/quote]

Ping engineering is second to none. The toe weight on its irons is a huge benefit for shots missed toward the toe. Huge.

I have Hogan Apex Pro forged irons and Ping Rapture V1 (J version). The Pings feel just a good on flush shots as the Hogans. And the difference in forgiveness is night and day.

The AP1s are nice, from what little time I have spent demoing them. I currently have Ping G5s, but considering switching to AP1s. They are very similar in size, and with the stock Nippin shaft, very easy to get up in the air.

Ping G25 10.5*
Ping G25 16.5*
Ping G25 20*
Titleist AP1 712 4-GW
Titleist SM5 56S and SM2 60/10
Bettinardi C01

[quote name='HackerD ' date='27 June 2010 - 08:44 PM' timestamp='1277689484' post='2540973']
G-15's have wider sole and higher bounce than X-22. The G-15's will tend to dig less if you hit it fat or generally take big divots.
[/quote]

HackerD's right on the button. G15s seem like they will be a much more forgiving club but being a fitter at a shop I see that alot of people tend to not like the ridiculously wide sole and long face. It sems to just throw people off. My bet would be with the X22s.

When I started back playing last year I purchased a set of TM Burner+ irons, because I was told that GI irons are the way to go. I never felt like I hit these irons well because of the large sole and the thick top line was not what I use to playing way back when. Now when the Ping 15 line came out, I went and got fitted, the fitter tried his hardest to put me in the G15's because GI irons was what he thought I should be playing, but like the TM's I did not like the wide sole a thick top line, so I went with the i15's and couldn't be happier. All I'm saying is try several different clubs before you make up your mind just because someone is a 20 handicap doesn't mean he or she has to play GI clubs.

[quote name='beast7.3' date='27 June 2010 - 08:48 PM' timestamp='1277689680' post='2540982']
[quote name='HackerD ' date='27 June 2010 - 08:44 PM' timestamp='1277689484' post='2540973']
G-15's have wider sole and higher bounce than X-22. The G-15's will tend to dig less if you hit it fat or generally take big divots.
[/quote]

HackerD's right on the button. G15s seem like they will be a much more forgiving club but being a fitter at a shop I see that alot of people tend to not like the ridiculously wide sole and long face. It sems to just throw people off. My bet would be with the X22s.
[/quote]

I don't think the G15's have a long face, they are relatively short heeel to toe for such a GI club, however the thicker topline is definitely there. The sole is not as thick as the Rapture V2's however. My only beef with the G15's is cosmetic---I don't like being able to see the back of the cavity sticking out in the middle irons when at address. Just like anything though, you can get over it once you start hitting good shots.

[quote name='beast7.3' date='27 June 2010 - 09:48 PM' timestamp='1277689680' post='2540982']
[/quote]

[/quote]

I hit just about GI iron on the market in the last year. The day I ordered my G15 irons, my fitter had me hitting G15's, AP1's and X22's with various shafts and flexes. They were all good clubs but the G15's were just clearly better...for me. They were more forgiving and more solid at contact. Since I can be a bit of a digger, I wanted the wider sole and higher bounce. The guy I was working with was a big fan of the AP1's and AP2's and really wanted to find a combination of the AP1's and an appropriate shaft for me. After a while (and a ton of balls hit), he told me to buy the G15's. Played with them for the first time today (along with the new Vokey wedges I got with them). I'm sure I made a good decision, the G15's are just fantastic. I know there was a 9 iron today that I hit off the toe and still managed to put the ball on the front of the green. My old irons wouldn't have come close to the green with that swing. Shots that were hit on the button were very solid and straight.

Just my $.02, hope you find the sticks that are right for you.

G15's also have the extra weight in the toe which moves the sweet spot toward the center of the face and away from the heel, and adds forgiveness for toe hits as elvis described above.

Callaway Rogue 10.5°
Ping G410 2, 3 Hybrid
Ping G410 3, 4 Crossover 
Ping G410 5-UW
Vokey spin milled 54/14
SC Studio Select Newport 2

Thanks for all the input guys. I have decided to go with the G15's. I tried quite a few sets of irons and none of them compared to the G15. Hit the X-22, x-24 and burners. The trajectory and ball flight was amazing. When I tried to fade it, it faded, when I tried to draw it, it drew. Ordered them On Saturday after getting fitted from the Ping guy. Now the wait to get them, man is it killing me. Supposedly Ping is quick with their custom club and hope to get them in 10 working days.

[quote name='golfingnut300' date='02 July 2010 - 03:54 PM' timestamp='1278114867' post='2551842']
Thanks for all the input guys. I have decided to go with the G15's. I tried quite a few sets of irons and none of them compared to the G15. Hit the X-22, x-24 and burners. The trajectory and ball flight was amazing. When I tried to fade it, it faded, when I tried to draw it, it drew. Ordered them On Saturday after getting fitted from the Ping guy. Now the wait to get them, man is it killing me. Supposedly Ping is quick with their custom club and hope to get them in 10 working days.
[/quote]

Congrats...lets us know how you like them. Im thinking about getting a set myself!

[quote name='golfingnut300' date='02 July 2010 - 01:54 PM' timestamp='1278114867' post='2551842']
[/quote]

Congrat's, what shaft did you order with the G15? stock awt?

[quote name='golfingnut300' date='25 June 2010 - 06:19 PM' timestamp='1277515189' post='2536146']

Thanks for your input.
[/quote]

Disclaimer: I own a set of X20s.

If I were choosing between the X22s and the G15s, I would go with the G15. In my opinion the current Ping iron lineup is one of their strongest. Prior to this, I've preferred the feel of Callaways to Pings, but I now think they are on equal footing. I also think they are the best looking irons Ping has come out with in some time (know others will disagree).

For the X22s, I personally did not care for them compared to my X20s.

Pings will hold their value more as it appears that Callaway is feeling the need to become more TM like.

I'd suggest that you demo X20s against the G15s. You can save even more. IMO, the best irons of the X series were the X20s and X14s.

[quote name='alb' date='05 July 2010 - 01:14 AM' timestamp='1278317698' post='2555310']
[quote name='golfingnut300' date='02 July 2010 - 01:54 PM' timestamp='1278114867' post='2551842']
[/quote]

Congrat's, what shaft did you order with the G15? stock awt?
[/quote]

I got the Z-Z65. Tried the AWT but it wasnt as nice for me as the Z-Z65. I will let you know how I hit them once they come in.